Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Punting on Plum Island Sound, MA.

Default I go Duck Punting on Plum Island Sound, MA.

Well, I bit the bullet and built a duckpunt from FLOMO's plans. 100% to his design in terms of scantlings and dimensions, with a few construction technique differences-- I have a chinelog that runs from tank-to-tank (don't like S+G too much- this made it a tad simpler- but complicated some other things), and a dropped the deck of the forward buoyancy tank down a few inches for aesthetics. Other than that, it's FLOMO's boat, based off John Milgate's West Mersea duck punt. FLOMO's plans are not completely complete, so there was some fiddling here and there, but nothing fundamental. The frame stations are based off the bottom, instead of the sides, so with the chinelog there was some reverse engineering to get everything where it needed to go, but I wrestled her into submission. There were some issues with the weather, I built her outside during September, so gluing was done in warm weather, or coerced into curing with a space heater placed outside under a tarp and hoping I didn't blow a breaker in the rain. She got wedged into the basement for some paint, another exercise in frustration, since the basement cannot really accommodate her.

But boat-builders we are, and not stymied by such restrictions such as space and time. See the whole gallery here.

I built her in a month, for a few hundred dollars. Meranti plywood, clear eastern white pine frames. Rust O Leum paint, just the stuff you get at the hardware store for metal, not the marine stuff. Optimist sail from intensity.

The other day I went sailing in her with Dan Noyes, who reported that she sat on her lines, and the stem was just kissing in and out of the water as we worked upwind. Dan Noyes was in his duck punt, a 12' pine and oak variation of the West Mersea punt, with a very salty dipping lug. Dan's punt was very stable, predictable, and neutral helmed, and a joy to sail. Mine was a little more finnicky being longer and finer, but we're still working it out. She is certainly fun to sail! The whole punting thing really brings the sailing down to barebones basics. My punt was quite speedy by comparison to Dan's. We sailed in the marshes behind Plum Island Sound, in MA. Perfect punting territory. Hooting and hollering was heard near and far.

There is more to work out and fiddle with, but otherwise, MUCH FUN TO BE HAD BY ALL.

Dan Noyes taking his 12' punt for a walk:

MRS MUMBLES (FLO-MO's design) and Dan's punt with dipping lug:

Dan following me through the grasses:

We reach the end of one of many creeks:

Dan sailing MRS MUMBLES:

Sailing home (yes... that's a poplar dowel mast. It was a quick solution):

As always, more pictures and stories on my blog.
    Last edited by callsign222; 11-11-2014 at 04:56 AM.

Default Re: Duck Punting on Plum Island Sound, MA.

Oh yeah! Lunch spot!

well done

and for building it outside as well

first question - no ladderback - so did it come out straight?

good to see another convert to the rock hard abs brotherhood of the punt

all I can say is that I have been a sailor for five decades and never experiences a boat like this

they should not sail but they go brilliantly

the ability to sail in such a stupidly small amount of water is marvelous

as a twitcher they are also great for sneaking up on birds

you can build them superfast

the quicket I have heard of was 18 hours using cascamite and decking screws

currently being sailed in Lincolnshire by a bloke who is 6 foot 5

mine took one week from furst cut to first sail

what else is there to do between christmas and new year

here are a couple of movies

this is the real deal in west mersea

they build their punts out of thick ply so they weigh a tonne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0KwXBUEjY

and this is my take on the punt

I made it light enough to car top on the polo

this is the build video - backwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3t9So-yJYw

and this was an 18 mile journey in one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5tQFzje8lk

That looks way cool. Let me know next time and I'll bring the MacGregor, and reef down.

Allan
    And the Binnacle-bats wore water-proof hats
    As they danced in the sounding sea.

I am stupidly proud whenever a duck punt appears in the states

I really think that a duck punt can be a cure for the winter blues

and look at the sky in those snaps

bloomin marvelous

D

Sorely tmpted

Guess I should bring the ducker down to the Ma'sh. If I can't sail I can always pole.

Too cool! Christophe, ho much does it weigh. I've been thinking that a duck punt would make a good Adirondack boat up on say Saranac lake. Like you, I have a Sea Pearl, but some places require a boat which can be carried!

Take Care,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dylan winter View Post
    well done

and for building it outside as well

first question - no ladderback - so did it come out straight?
    Dylan, I built this Stitch + Glue/Instant boat method (a little combo of two, making my life complicated) and it came out straight as could be. FLO-MO's plans are S+G, so no strongback. There are ways to get the boat straight, primarily by sighting down the boat with many similar sized wood pieces laid across the gunwales or the bottom. An errant piece will indicate twist. In addition, a level here-and-there, getting it all leveled out, and then wedging the boat appropriately before gluing it all together, which will then lock it in place. So short answer, no twist, if done right.

A comment on FLOMO's planning a piece of ply-- here is the TOTAL WASTE from TWO panels of plywood from which I cut both sides of the boat out of:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W (NY) View Post
    Too cool! Christophe, ho much does it weigh. I've been thinking that a duck punt would make a good Adirondack boat up on say Saranac lake. Like you, I have a Sea Pearl, but some places require a boat which can be carried!
    Steve, as someone who has spent a lot of time in Adirondacks, I would not portage the duckpunt. I think it might be fun on some of the shallower, quieter lakes where you could get car access, (Moose Pond just NE of Saranac Lake off Rt 3, for instance) but I would not be huffing it between the ponds in the St. Regis and environs. I certainly considered it, and thought this would be a good ADK boat (I too, am looking for an ADK boat) and after it was built I nixed that idea. MAYBE with a dolly of sorts, but I won't be carrying mine on my back for more than a few yards, unless you are buff and have muscles. (Which you may have).

I am seriously thinking of a SOF Adirondack guide boat of sorts. My friend recently built a SOF Snowshoe Explorer 14 and it was mind-blowing. He could portage the boat and take all his stuff in one go, and barely break a sweat or need to pull a breath.

I was thinking about Lowe's reservoir. Car access at Hutchins. I've camped there a lot with my kids, but I always wondered how much fun it would be to sail through there. There would be some paddling, but the only portage would be up the dam into Lowes. So do you have a weight?

I think it's great! The pictures are fantastic and I love the paint scheme!

also to Dylan,

I love your videos.... more please!

Skip

Tremendous to see these pictures and you having so much fun. Those waters look like perfect Duck Punt sailing grounds.

Just a bit of background, explaining why I am so pleased.

the West Mersea guys always seem to concentrate on have a great time sailing and thus getting a set of the John Millgate plans a big struggle. They were always free, just copying and postage costs, but still very difficult to get a set.

I struck lucky and managed it. Then dizziness took over and I never built the boat, much to my disappointment.

Along came Dylan desperate to get hold of a set. The Duck Punt guys said ok to copy my set and flo-mo kindly developed a panel development so the boat could be built without a jig and built lighter.

So, it is a great story of people saying yes, people helping, no one involved trying to make money, just get a lovely simple pure boat built. And now we have a number of US boats. Brilliant.

Brian

KHP-b I'm glad you saw this thread, I was going to PM you if you didn't get around to it. I really like Flo-Mo's attempt at putting together a paneled boat and was attracted to the idea that I didn't have to assemble a strongback in my backyard. It came together pretty easy and the missing parts were simple to figure out. I was careful to make sure I kept the actual dimensions just as he planned in order to ensure I had something somewhat traditional from West Mersea. The chinelog bit was just to make my life a little easier as I glued and assembled outside, sometimes in the dark with a headlamp. It took one month from start to splash, with full-time-on-the-road work.

I appreciate the attitude of the West Mersea sailors, and I'm taking full advantage of living close to the massive estuaries laying on the New Hampshire and Mass. North coast. Take a peak on Google Maps to get an idea.

Anyway, cheers to duck punting!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W (NY) View Post
    I was thinking about Lowe's reservoir. Car access at Hutchins. I've camped there a lot with my kids, but I always wondered how much fun it would be to sail through there. There would be some paddling, but the only portage would be up the dam into Lowes. So do you have a weight?
    I don't have an exact weight, I don't own a scale. I'll try to get one soon and I'll let you know. I've never been to Lows Lake, but it looks beautiful. (The ADKs are just so.damn.big.) One thing I noted sailing around some local lakes in NH was the punt isn't very forgiving of puffy and shifty winds, certainly easier on big flats with consistent wind. There's a fine line between sailing upwind and sailing sideways/backwards. But you can always row/paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    I don't have an exact weight, I don't own a scale. I'll try to get one soon and I'll let you know. I've never been to Lows Lake, but it looks beautiful. (The ADKs are just so.damn.big.) One thing I noted sailing around some local lakes in NH was the punt isn't very forgiving of puffy and shifty winds, certainly easier on big flats with consistent wind. There's a fine line between sailing upwind and sailing sideways/backwards. But you can always row/paddle.
    I suspect with a little ballast she wouldn't blow around so much. More beer may be required.

Allan
    And the Binnacle-bats wore water-proof hats
    As they danced in the sounding sea.

Some more punting last weekend in MA. Beautiful weather, stronger NW winds, and some clamming. As always more on my blog (see sig) and gallery.

Me sailing downwind:

Out on the flats:

HURRY UP!

Dan sailing MRS MUMBLES back upwind:

Great pictures. Looks perfect for your sailing grounds. So simple yet so elegant. I am sure flo-mo would appreciate a link to your blog and see the work he did actually sailing.

Brian

I hope we are convincing you boys to build one of these things

for me this is the clincher image

a boat you can sail on wet grass

and there are also some excellent build pix that demonstrate the genius that is flo-mo

really lads - it is time you got stuck into building one of these

car toppable, cheap as chips to build, good for the abs, go for it

you will not regret it

nice to see one come together, well done flo-mo and c.s.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    nice to see one come together, well done flo-mo and c.s.

I reckon that the lighter you can make these boats the better

the locals ail heavy ones - but they move their around on trailers

if it is to be car toppable it needs to be light enough to pick up one end and heft it onto the back of a roof wrack

I am a heavy bloke so my bulk is an advantage when I am sailing

I have sailed it with two up

the mersea blokes also have twin sculling races in theirs

you can of course use it like a paddle board

it is a lot cheaper

for gawds sake.... build one

before you get too old

D

watch this film of how well they sail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZnGgB3Rruo

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Great pictures. Looks perfect for your sailing grounds. So simple yet so elegant. I am sure flo-mo would appreciate a link to your blog and see the work he did actually sailing.

Brian
    I have PMed FLOMO a few times, with links to the pictures.

the mersea blokes also have twin sculling races in theirs
    Dan and I rowed MRS MUMBLES two-up (no pics) and it went right along and was quite easy to row, lots of fun. We kept it straight by just siting down the river and one would let up depending on which way we needed to turn.

I have PMed FLOMO a few times, with links to the pictures.

Dan and I rowed MRS MUMBLES two-up (no pics) and it went right along and was quite easy to row, lots of fun. We kept it straight by just siting down the river and one would let up depending on which way we needed to turn.

C,

can I ask you....

Dan's is 12 foot and yours is 15

what is the difference in performance between the two

and the way they point

D

Dan Noyes' punt is 12' long and based off the John Milgate punt. I'm not going to put words in Dan's mouth, but I remember him saying he wanted to keep the beam amidships the same, and was especially careful to maintain the angle between the bottom and the sides of the boat. She's built of pine and oak, not ply, so he carries her momentum well. I found her to be very stable, well behaved, and easily steered, but a bit slower than MRS MUMBLES. Her pointing was OK, but could have been due to her dipping lug rig. I will forward this to him, maybe he can chime in.

Well that looks like entirely too much fun! Sneaking up salt marsh creeks under sail is such a giggle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Well that looks like entirely too much fun! Sneaking up salt marsh creeks under sail is such a giggle!
    it is fantastic....

it is not just where you get to sail but also the way that it feels

you are low down so it feels faster, you get really close to wildlife, the subtlety of the steering using the paddle and your weight is delightful.

you can kayak it and paddle board it

we have had three big men in mine - paddling not sailing

you can also do some pretty neat things. When you come to a bend in the salt marsh creek you often get a little spit on the inside, if you can get her nice and flat and going fast enough you can actually sail over dry land by shoving your own little bow wave with you. of course if you get it wrong then you wind up aground.

I have cut a window in the side of mine so I can watch the wildlife below the water as well

I do not know how to tell you guys in strong enough terms

if you are going to build one more boat... this is it.

mine hangs in the roof of the garage - I drive the car under it, lower it onto the roof wrack _ can be driving off within 20 minutes of deciding to go

it is a polo by the way

car to water takes ten max

it is great for winter sailing - just a two hour fix, as soon as you get cold you can go for a walk on a sandbank, or back in the car, drive home with the heater on, hot bathj, warm hearth

delightful

build one lads - the plans are free

three sheets of ply and a few bits of 2 x 1 for the floor boards

you can use epoxy - one bloke built one in 18 hours using cascamite and decking screws

my mast is a bannister from the diy store

damn I love these little boats

mine is painted with garage floor paint - cheap as chips

D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_qFvMbrMWw
    Last edited by dylan winter; 11-22-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Maybe in a year or two. At the moment I'm building a Scamp which I hope to get on the water in the spring.

Dan Noyes' punt is 12' long and based off the John Milgate punt. I'm not going to put words in Dan's mouth, but I remember him saying he wanted to keep the beam amidships the same, and was especially careful to maintain the angle between the bottom and the sides of the boat. She's built of pine and oak, not ply, so he carries her momentum well. I found her to be very stable, well behaved, and easily steered, but a bit slower than MRS MUMBLES. Her pointing was OK, but could have been due to her dipping lug rig. I will forward this to him, maybe he can chime in.
    +1 the put is 12' on the flat bottom and 14 at the rail. the milgate plans were not available when Bredan built the boat, we spent 8+- months trying to get the plans. it is noticabely slower than Christophes punt, up wind abiliy was excellent with the Lateen Sark rig and poor (but fun) with the home hacked together Dipping Lug! It rows well up wind due to low windage

hopeing to have the mast/seat repaired by the weeks end!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    +1 the put is 12' on the flat bottom and 14 at the rail. the milgate plans were not available when Bredan built the boat, we spent 8+- months trying to get the plans. it is noticabely slower than Christophes punt, up wind abiliy was excellent with the Lateen Sark rig and poor (but fun) with the home hacked together Dipping Lug! It rows well up wind due to low windage

it must have been very weird sailing a boat that is similar but slightly different

you are used to heavy boat

did the lighter build seem a problem

mine is also built light and I have never sailed a proper Esssex built heavy punt

now you have the plans and have sailed a bigger punt.... would you build one

D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFO...0cH4xa&index=1

http://youtu.be/aPf7eTwwTpM?list=PL-...Omd-VYOS0cH4xa

One of the best things about my Mac is it's shallow water capabilities but I need a leeboard. The duck punt doesn't it seems because of the right angle chine. hanks for the pics and the commentary, looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    One of the best things about my Mac is it's shallow water capabilities but I need a leeboard. The duck punt doesn't it seems because of the right angle chine. hanks for the pics and the commentary, looks like fun.

I must say I fully expected to have to rig up some sort of leeboard

but it does not appear to be needed

the confidence you get from having nothing protruding below the bottom of the hull is marvelous

I am always a bit nervous with leeboards unless they are designed to kick up -

all round.... good fun... much better fun than I ever thought possible in a pointy coffin with no rudder and no leeboards

D
    Last edited by dylan winter; 11-26-2014 at 07:15 AM.

it must have been very weird sailing a boat that is similar but slightly different

you are used to heavy boat

did the lighter build seem a problem

mine is also built light and I have never sailed a proper Esssex built heavy punt

now you have the plans and have sailed a bigger punt.... would you build one

D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFO...0cH4xa&index=1

http://youtu.be/aPf7eTwwTpM?list=PL-...Omd-VYOS0cH4xa

ano problems Cristops punt sails very similar to the plank one, acceleration is better in Cristophs and the speed is noticabley greater. The rail height of Cristophs punt is a couple inches less wich might make it a little wetter in a head sea, also the rail height allows for seats in my punt wich to me is a pluss for comfort rowing though it may be less versatile trimming the boat fore and aft... interesting little boats.
    When I build another it will be with the real duck punt plans, my only concern with a traditional build would be twisting the plank to make the sheer strake land on that little wherry style transom, not a big deal.

Hi Callsign 222 I'm just about to order the ply and make a start on Flo-Mo boat. I've build S&T boats before without a strongback and that will be the way I plan to go. Some questions if I might pick your brains.

1) Did you find the dimensions on the plans ok in other words did you find the panels were the correct shape or did they need altering at all. You say the plans were"not completely complete and needed some fiddling here and there". What and where was that?

2) Are the sheer lines correct or did you alter the sheer at all?

I plan to scarf the planks the cut them out with a router

I look forward to any advice!

Welcome aboard Banjo! Where do you plan on sailing your punt?

I live in the Lake District (UK) but we also have Morecambe Bay with loads of muddy creeks and last Summer I was on the North Coast in Norfolk