Thread: Glue for a wooden rudder

Default Glue for a wooden rudder

Hello everyone. I have a 1960 Sunfish that needs a new rudder. The old one has split. I still have it to use as a pattern. The rudder is mahogany, approximately 3/4" x 20" x 12". Rather than use a single plank, I am thinking that I should glue up a number of strips (3") to control warping. Is this correct? Also, what type of glue should I use? I am thinking that exterior wod glue might not be appropriate. Thank you all.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Glue for a wooden rudder

Many thin pieces are more stable than fewer big ones , yes.
    That said , the old one lasted , what,50 , 60 years?
    That said, todays wood is not the same as wood from 50 , 60 years ago .

Maybe just dry out the old one , slowly, with a weight on it , or clamped to something, and put some thickened epoxy into the split next spring.
    Making a new rudder can be a ton of work if you do not have a bunch of tools, wood and glue and a bunch of experience, doing it unless you just want to for some crazy reason. (that'd be most of us here)
    bruce

Your plan sounds like a workable idea to me. Especially since the current class legal wooden blade looks like this.......

I suspect they are probably using a good grade of exterior wood glue, but if you have epoxy that would likely be a good choice. The price, by the way, for the factory replacement blade is just under $250 in mahogany and add another $20 or so if you want the fiberglass model. Non-class legal generic wooden ones are about $170. That's a hell of a mark up on a relatively small hunk of flat mahogany with some very simple edge beveling. Looks like it's well worth building your own.

Thanks Wizbag13.
    The old rudder is split beyond repair. I have the tools for the glue up (and a whole lot more) and look forward to working on this project with my 13 year old son. Any recommendation on the glue?

Todd. The picture you show is of the "new" style rudder that came out in about 1972. Mine is the old non-retractable style. The conversion (hardware and transom modification) to a new style would be more money than the boat is worth.

I would include a picture of my broken rudder if I knew how to load it here...

Unless your old rudder suffered some crush damage, or rot due to neglect, I can't see why you could not repair with epoxy. If it is broken across the grain, that would be more difficult but not impossible to mend. Of course as a teaching opportunity, I can see why you might want to build a new one with your son. Good luck, Thorne should be along any second with his picture posting tutorial, plus a shot or two of his rudders.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Your plan sounds like a workable idea to me. Especially since the current class legal wooden blade looks like this.......

I suspect they are probably using a good grade of exterior wood glue, but if you have epoxy that would likely be a good choice. The price, by the way, for the factory replacement blade is just under $250 in mahogany and add another $20 or so if you want the fiberglass model. Non-class legal generic wooden ones are about $170. That's a hell of a mark up on a relatively small hunk of flat mahogany with some very simple edge beveling. Looks like it's well worth building your own.
    WOW ! That is rather expensive , I had no idea.

Epoxy is the best choice of glue I would think.

It looks like a nice enjoyable little project actually.

Good luck.

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

I have an intact rudder from a 1960's Sunfish, but the hull is gone. So it's for sale...