Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Gartside 170

Default Re: Gartside 170

Well done on the pour Bruce. With my lead I found that a wire brush attachment on angle grinder gave an excellent finish for coating with epoxy. You'll need to fill the odd divot anyway. Epoxy is a great undercoat for painting. As you know...

Thank you Andrew. It is a great relief to have that melting business out of the way. I hope you're feeling well.

Very good! What kind of material in keel-bolts do you plan?

/Fredrik

Well done! Although I didn't pour my own 900 lb. keel, I still remember the fun of getting it out of my van and into position by myself. In my case, I put it in place and built the boat on top of it rather then adding it at the end of the build.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Fredrik - I have 3/8" (9.5 mm) Si Bronze bolts. The inner keel has been drilled where specified at the correct angle. I'm planning on the inner keel holes to serve as a drill guide for the lead.

Bruce just on the drilling now that you mention it. I found that the lead when being drilled is sort of "sticky". By that i mean it doesn't seem to take much to heat it up and make it gall on the bit. You also need some where for the swarf to go and I found as i drilled deeper it became more of a problem for swarf to travel back up bit. I tried acetone and kerosene and then just plain oil but while helping a little, drilling through 9" of lead still became difficult. I hope your lead being a little smaller wont be as difficult. Oh be sure to back out bit frequently!
    Just a heads up. Good luck

Thanks for the drilling tips Andrew. I have two long bits for this task - 3/8" and 25/64" bits. The thinking behind using the larger bit was to leave some room for epoxy. Both bits will be dubbed and the smaller 3/8" bit can be used for evacuating the hole. I've noticed that some folks use liquid soap. Which is preferable - soap or oil?

I covered the inner keel with packing tape, coated the lead keel with thickened epoxy and jacked it into place. It seemed like an easy way to get a good fit.

All of the bolt hole drilling was done from inside the cabin. There's an oily mess of lead chips on the floor. Mostly, the drilling process was drama free. Once drilled, I dropped the keel and turned it on it's side (much easier said than done) and made the counter bores.

I'll do a bit of wire brushing and corner shaping before I jack it back into place. All the silicon bronze bolts have been cut to size. However, we're going on vacation so the final mating with have to wait.

Bet you're glad thats nearly over Bruce. how many hours sleep did it cost