Thread: Cleaning the scene of the crime - Removing epoxy from concrete

Default Cleaning the scene of the crime - Removing epoxy from concrete

I will be vacating (and hopefully selling at a handsome price) the scene of about a dozen of my past boat building debaucheries. There is about 1000 square feet of concrete floor that's got a mix of epoxy paint and epoxy dribbles on it.

I want to clean this up and paint it to the point where some dewy-eyed starter home buyer will think "Oh, ducky! the media room!".

How do i do this in a way that respects my 71 year old knees? I'm not going to do something that resembles work.

Who do I hire?

Default Re: Cleaning the scene of the crime - Removing epoxy from concrete

Concrete floor finishers. One of the more trendy floors in high-end homes today is polished concrete.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Are the gobs so thick that you can't float some self levelling floor paint over it?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

There are companies that grind and seal concrete for water sealing and food prep situations. Some use grinders, some use machines that shoot ball bearings at the floor to knock it clean. Then they epoxy coat. Thats where I'd start if the floor was really bad. If not, heat and a long handled scraper might do the trick. One of those propane weed burners, maybe.

Steven

Some high school students - hand them each a ball peen hammer and a brick chisel.
    Tap the blobs with the hammer, they will separate from the concrete. Occasionally a small spot will get smashed into the concrete, hammer that off with the brick chisel. That should be 90%. You could get a floor sander to take off wide spread blotches, then paint.

Home Depot has floor scrapers. Its like a flat blade shovel, just push it around and knock the epoxy globs off. You might want to epoxy paint the floor yourself-----its expensive to have it done and if your selling............

Start here: http://legacyindustrial.net/cart/con...ool-p-167.html

Video shows a scrubber... it also works on a buffer.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    Some high school students - hand them each a ball peen hammer and a brick chisel.
    Tap the blobs with the hammer, they will separate from the concrete. Occasionally a small spot will get smashed into the concrete, hammer that off with the brick chisel. That should be 90%. You could get a floor sander to take off wide spread blotches, then paint.
    I second the motion.

My 4,000 p.s.i. 3.5 gpm pressure washer w/ the rotating turbo tip blasts coatings off concrete w/o much effort.
    2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
    Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp
    Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
    many cool mods

1994 Edey & Duff Columbia 11' Rowing / Sailing Dinghy

... a ball peen hammer and a brick chisel.
    Tap the blobs with the hammer, they will separate from the concrete.
    I tried that. It left a crater in the concrete where each blob had been. It sticks better than you may think if it soaks into the concrete at all.
    Sanding or grinding and then painting may be the best way to go.

Heat softens paint and epoxy. Give those young guys a couple flamethrowers and let em loose.

subirimagenes

Hot air gun and paint scraper
    Osbert
    -
    Scratch, a Welsford Walkabout, and Selkie, a Clint Chase Drake 17 rowboat

http://forthsailoar.osbert.org

Jim,
    I've had the same problem. The belt sander works but it's slow. If I really wanted it up I'd try a floor sander. Concrete paint will hide a multitude of sins. You are moving to Maine I assume. Let me know.
    Dave

Considering the size of the job and the condition of my wonky knees, I think I'll seek out a professional. No doubt, a strong young guy with a large nasty machine.
    Thanks, all.

I got some drips of epoxy on my smooth concrete garage floor. A few seconds with the heat gun and a scraper popped them right off.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    Considering the size of the job and the condition of my wonky knees, I think I'll seek out a professional. No doubt, a strong young guy with a large nasty machine. Thanks, all.
    Do make sure to tell him how easy epoxy comes off when softened with a heat gun. I suspect trying to get it off cold will take longer and cost more.
    Osbert
    -
    Scratch, a Welsford Walkabout, and Selkie, a Clint Chase Drake 17 rowboat

http://forthsailoar.osbert.org

Google>concrete resurfacing

video here -
    http://www.sakrete.com/projects/Resu...g-Concrete.cfm

Actually when it is real cold it chips off easier. Warm will make it tougher.

Living in the north country, we use long handled ice scrapers. These are normally used to clean the ice off of your driveway but they also work great for glue drips and in removing old linoleum flooring. No bending, no real strain and the glue drips usually just pop off so wear some safety glasses! It's the real thin runs that are tough to get off. Usually I don't bother too much with them...

Just my two cents...

If it is a true, thick epoxy coating many of them cannot be grinded https://mechanicfaq.com/bandsaws-for-resawing/ off with even a traditional grinder. Diamabrush will do very little, if anything on epoxy.

We find that when our Installation Company, Prep-Crete, encounters this we have to use 'PCD' (Polycarbonte Diamond) style diamond cutting tools which tear the coating off with sideways-mounted diamonds. Very fast and efficient since a typical diamond grinder would have 9-12 of these rotating around.

PCD's will leave heavy scratch marks on the floor but that isn't a concern since you are planking over it. If you were applying an epoxy or finish coat, then the floor would need 2-3 steps of additional grinding.

PCD's are generally not available for rent since each piece of tooling runs close to $100 each, so you may need to hire a company that does diamond grinding, they would have these tools. We attached a photo of a PCD diamond tool/cutter. The PCD are the round, tilted part of the tool.
    Last edited by Toxicus; 12-04-2018 at 03:55 AM.

If it is a true, thick epoxy coating many of them cannot be grinded off with even a traditional grinder.
    I've never encountered any epoxy resin (no matter what it is mixed with or how thick it is) that couldn't be rapidly removed with a disk machine and a 60 grit floor sanding disk. The stuff just isn't that hard, although it will sand better with a 1725 RPM polisher than a 3450 RPM disk grinder because the slower machine creates less heat and smears the resin a lot less. There is certainly no need to use anything that leaves heavy scratch marks which then need to be ground out just to remove some excess boat resin drips. If they won't pry off with something like eflanders' ice scraper, they can certainly be sanded off.

A genuine Wisconsin driveway scraper - a 4' piece of pipe with a doorknob on one end and a hunk of 1/4" plate steel on the other, edges sharpened as desired.

ice-scraper.jpg

For what it's worth, this stuff from Home Depot seems pretty tough, is easy to deal with and can be mixed to custom colors.

paint.jpg

I used it on this boat, rolled and tipped as the base color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by slug View Post
    Heat softens paint and epoxy. Give those young guys a couple flamethrowers and let em loose.

subirimagenes
    Make sure your insurance is paid up. Concrete does not like concentrated heat.
    Tom L

Had a renter who left epoxy on a patio. It was a huge challenge because the surface had rocks so I couldn't come in and resurface.

Normally a concrete planner, an angle grinder with diamond cup and vacuum, will surface and smooth. What do you do if you don't want smooth? Epoxy sinks into the pores of concrete so it discolors. Had one of these little rotary tools for removing rust like a sandblaster, took 1/2 hour and left a surface that other than being too clean, matched the surrounding texture. Cool little devices, don't know if they are sold in the US, basically carbide tire studs mounted in flexible rubber that can be chucked up in a household drill. Here is a link https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/werk...scheibe-tercoo

Hope this helps, make sure who you hire has an excellent respirator system, it is like sandblaster dust and you end up making a huge mess like a sandblaster.

I suppose Conlin is finished with the job, since it was started in 2014.

Air hammer. Biggish compressor. 3-inch chisel.

https://youtu.be/E0eTaxjJDRI

Or rent a chipping hammer and a floor scraper chisel (6-in spring steel)

https://www.championchisel.com/category/specialty/
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I suppose Conlin is finished with the job, since it was started in 2014.
    I think I left it alone. The house sold promptly. I'm accumulating a new set of gobs on the new shop floor. Getting those off will be left to the next shift.

A bit off topic, but related to boat shop spills. I worked at one some years ago and was bottom painting a boat that wasn't blocked very high off the floor. I was using a trolley of the kind used in body shops for maneuvering around on my back while painting. I was reaching and the trolley tipped on it's side, spilling the bucket of paint next to it. What a mess, and an expensive one. I mopped up what I could but the shop painter gave me a whole lot of sh*t and endlessly so. The thing was his paint room and work space was the most disorganized and messiest of the entire shop, so who was he to talk, I thought. One day a potential customer came in to ask about having his boat painted and wanted to see the paint shop. I was the only one on the floor and watched to see what would happen. The shop owner took him to see it, whereupon the boat owner took one look, shook his head, turned around and walked out. Not long after i heard the shop owner call the painter into the office where some loud voices were heard.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I think I left it alone. The house sold promptly. I'm accumulating a new set of gobs on the new shop floor. Getting those off will be left to the next shift.
    Give each glob a good pop with a 16 oz hammer. A lighter weight ball peen works fine too. The globs will chip off. Wear eye protection. Shards can go everywhere. Effective and satisfying.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.