Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring Lively Lady II

Default Restoring Lively Lady II

Last month I bought and brought home Lively Lady, a 1968 mahogany stripped planked sloop designed by Gary Mull (and construction overseen) built by American Marine, Hong Kong for racing the SORC. This terrific little boat built for the San Francisco Bay and ocean racing proved to be an outstanding competitor in the new age of fiberglass.

The story of the race...

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-15-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: text cleanup
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Default Re: Restoring Lively Lady II

I love her construction as is such high quality with the planks that run the entire length of the boats 30.7 feet and has her original great frame and still fresh stainless mast supports that her hull firm & strong.

Hidden behind her chipped paint, stripped jewels and beard of sponge at her waterline - I know i can return this boat into a great coastal racer and day sailer that even my wife would love.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-26-2014 at 04:36 PM.

From an earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

Bringing her home. Bodega Bay to Alameda. I dove the boat with a mask and snorkel in the cold water of Bodega. As i was finishing - a huge harbor seal popped up right besides me nearly giving me a serious heart attack.

Two days later, Andy & I got a ride up with Rick early in the morning. We mounted the 6 horse mercury long shaft, had 10 gallons of gas, food for four days and two used head sails which i had picked up at Pineapple the day before. We also carried a SPOT, an EPERB, 3 radios, 2 cell phones and a life raft. The weather was nearly perfect for a simple delivery but not for sailing. Highest reported 5 kts from the south. The mainsail was a handkerchief of a cloth - we knew we were going to have a slow sail back. The next 2 day we motor sailed 90 miles down the coast stopping at Drakes bay for the evening then continued to Alameda the next day. We ended up run the motor at half throttle for the entire trip pushing this boat at 4.7 knots with a burn rate of 5.5 gallons - gotta love a great outboard.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-26-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Congratulations. I wish you the best of luck with her. Looks like you're already having fun!

You had me going with that first picture and caption, though. Took me a minute to see her next to that very sad story in the middle.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I took a few weeks off after I brought her home to the Aeolian. Finally got to it on friday and yesterday.

I began with the decks - i spent the last 2 days (while I wasnt watching the game) with numerous scrapers, heat gun and 2 sanders... knocking off the old rubberized paint that someone had used a few years ago.

I also took a break from the deck to begin to recondition a nice boom that i had around. it is fine, tight ringed douglas fir that measures 12 feet - adding nearly 3 feet to the one on the boat. It sort of an experiment i am playing as I have an older Olsen 30 heavy 10 oz dacron racing mainsail which will work on this new/old spar increasing my footage by nearly 65 square feet.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-26-2014 at 05:50 PM.

She's looking better already. Nice looking wooden power cruiser a couple of slips over.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

She looks good Ted-you got me with that picture too! She reminds me of a boat made locally here known as a Duncanson 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    She's looking better already. Nice looking wooden power cruiser a couple of slips over.
    Thanks!

That wooden Stephens from early 50s was a great boat. The whole stem is rotten with fasteners ignored and she sank a few weeks ago. Insurance in paying for the sling, a tug and a dumpster. It is such as shame as it was the pride of the motor fleet.

she was much like this one when she came in.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-26-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Great stuff Ted. Good luck with it. She'll be spic and span in no time.

Pity about the Stephens.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    She looks good Ted-you got me with that picture too! She reminds me of a boat made locally here known as a Duncanson 35.
    Thats a pretty cool boat. There is quite a bit of similarity between them. Lively Lady is Mull hull #1 which inspired lots of down under designers and builders leading the way to the great IOR designs. Kiwi designers copied her hull making the Chico class built in New Zealand, made of fiberglass, is a direct hull shape with a larger cabin top.

Chico 30

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-26-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Now it becomes the hard stuff. I haul out in December in Berkeley. Besides a bottom job - I am putting a proper head. My darling wife wouldn't use the cedar or Home Depot bucket with a lovely hand carved seat.

all the bronze through hulls are there as well as the valves. I will need to get a small holding tank - 3-5 gallons and a decent raw water head. Researching now. Something traditional looking would be nice

Look for one of these, Ted. About as good as it gets. Wilcox Crittendon still makes and supports them (Captain model) with all the parts. Used takeouts are not all that hard to find, but new ones are also available. Good toilet.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Now that is super! Who wouldn't want a head with a stick shift!

Very nice acquisition Ted, did you seek her out or just stumble across her?

You can definitely see the family resemblance to my favorite Mull design, the Ranger 28. actually any of the 1970's Mull designed Rangers.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sail...14589/main.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Dawson; 10-27-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dawson View Post
    Very nice acquisition Ted, did you seek her out or just stumble across her?

You can definitely see the family resemblance to my favorite Mull design, the Ranger 28. actually any of the 1970's Mull designed Rangers.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sail...14589/main.jpg
    I really love to follow boat design. Gary Mull was a local hero I wish I had met and whom I have heard a lot about through various friends around San Francisco. funny how you remember things - as a kid growing up distinctly remember reading the sailing magazines of the day and hearing the chatter from the super sailors of out times - I had gotten influenced by people who knew their stuff. As I grew older and move to San Francisco after a stint in the navy, I crewed on a ranger 33, a few Santana 22s and over the last years lost a few races against mull designs here in San Francisco. I knew there was this boat which was rumored to have been around built for the St. Francis and it's members to compete in big boat racing. moreover I have taken the time to look at older trophies at the St. Francis YC and wondered where these boats went. I took note of a few determined to find one for myself. then in summer I saw her vaguely posted on Latitude 38 but she was out of my price range especially since I had just come out of the yard with my other much loved boat. I didn't call the owner out of a rational fear that my wife would protest quite a bit. As with everything - luck and timing would have it - the owner/care taker was sailing to Mexico in the HaHa and needed to sell her instead of paying for extra months of slippage - so she became a got to go craigslist item. Too good to be true price, I drove up and saw her. Immediately I wanted her, made an other and began to raise money for this new project. Luckily the owner let me pay for the slip and sell my other boat. Now it has set me into a new course

so in a short answer - this boat is the predecessor to the Ranger 28 & 33. those boats are great sailers and still carry good speed. there are very few of mulls designs or contracted boats that were poor performers, all are little big boats and yet to find ones of shoddy construction.

I think when you say the design was copied that its important to note that the designs were sanctioned and correctly attributed Ted, they were sisters or refinements of the original( which I'm sure you intended ). Gary Mull became quite famous as a designer here because of the Chico 30 , and his Chico 40 and 42 designs are still sought after as terrific blue water cruisers. The navy here has about 3 or 4 of those actually. And as we've discussed before , he influenced local designers and customers. Riada has some Mull in her by association.
    I think you're going to have a great boat there, really look forward to seeing her come along.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I think when you say the design was copied that its important to note that the designs were sanctioned and correctly attributed Ted, they were sisters or refinements of the original( which I'm sure you intended ). Gary Mull became quite famous as a designer here because of the Chico 30 , and his Chico 40 and 42 designs are still sought after as terrific blue water cruisers. The navy here has about 3 or 4 of those actually. And as we've discussed before , he influenced local designers and customers. Riada has some Mull in her by association.
    I think you're going to have a great boat there, really look forward to seeing her come along.
    Yes, I was too vague - those designs were sanctioned by Mull. The kiwis really embraced them making some fine derivative boats. We all are richer for Mull's contributions to these cool boats and to the decades when his ideas to modern monohull and IOR boats really made for exciting competitive sailing of the era.

It is amazing to watch beautiful things change.

Had a nice yesterday even though spending the last of the warms days removing the last of the old deck non slid and horrid rubberized paint. Normally a job I would have disdained. It was different this time. My son Jack at 14 along side with me, was not complaining and working hard with a scraper and sand paper. As I watched him for a minute - I could see him turning into a man.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-10-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: iPad operator's error

I reseated the deck port lights. They came out nicely. I used 3m 4000 sealant and polished the glass. the appearance is great, has proven dry and should be easy to remove with a heat gun next time. The hull needs a bit more faring and deck is nearly ready ready for painting. I am going to lay down a base coat of white primer on the hull and deck. so I can take her out one more time before haul out next month. Like the electrical cord on her, I was all knotted up - ran out for the turkey, getting the kid to his next event and keeping balance with numerous club affairs. These short days and busy schedules make it hard not to get fouled up especially with someone with a mild case of OCD.

I am still unsure of her new color schemes. white hull would be elegant - I am wondering if I should go beige on the cabin and deck or a light grey. your vote or ideas count!
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-24-2014 at 12:35 PM.

sailed to Berkely this afternoon. Her dirty bottom made for a slow passage. She will be out of the water by noon tomorrow - just in time for 8 inches of rain And winds guating to a projected 60 miles an hour over the next two days. I am planning a good sanding, bottom and hull paint over the weekend. Fast and furious with a half dozen folks helping me.

Hauled her out at the Berkeley Marine Center. It is one of the last DYI places in the bay.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-10-2014 at 08:58 PM.

About 45 mins out of the water and a power wash. I looked into a through hull and out popped this hitch hiker. I picked him (her) up and gently placed her into the water where he swam away. I took it as a good omen.

Very cool thread, glad you put the hitch hiker back, maybe he'll come back to you when the boats in the water again
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

She looks fast!

She looks fast!
    Yes! as you can tell I am so excited about her - back in 1968 - she one was the fastest ocean monohulls around gracing several national magazines. here in San Francisco - she really changed boat design that matched local conditions and competition. her construction of mahogany strip had the fiberglass designers playing catchup for the next decade. Our local boat building and yacht racing legend - Hank Easom built 3 more to complete the fleet. these strip planked boats have done exceptionally well in the racing scene for over 35 years. Her clean fore deck allows for so many sail configurations allow her to point really high or open up to run two head sails, spins and bloopers. have been told she easily planes and has often exceeded 15 knots once dialed in!

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Very cool thread, glad you put the hitch hiker back, maybe he'll come back to you when the boats in the water again
    it is a fine reminder that we share the water with such diversity. sadly a brutal eviction he received is most likely irrevocable allowing for his visits to be limited to her hull prior to simple sponge cleanings. the best I intend to do is provide a dark shadow for the little guy to hide from the active egrets who would not have been so merciful.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Here is my first challenge. A hole at the keel/hull. Pretty big cavity here - A wet piece of fiberglass tape and cracked epoxy. I will grind it out today if the rain gods allow. Hoping it is not too extensive. My plan is to open it up, dry it out then fill with a filler epoxy or a dutchman if not too bad. I may use some tape it needed although it may not be needed.

Looks like the boom was shortened to make her rate better under IOR.

Ted I wonder if that may just be symptoms you can see there, of a larger evil. Has the keel possibly hit something hard, and tried to separate from the hull? Massive forces at work if thats the case, and potential structural issues. I hope not, but it seems like something to check out pretty cerefully.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Looks like the boom was shortened to make her rate better under IOR.
    exactly - it will be interesting to look at differences between two booms.

Ted I wonder if that may just be symptoms you can see there, of a larger evil. Has the keel possibly hit something hard, and tried to separate from the hull? Massive forces at work if thats the case, and potential structural issues. I hope not, but it seems like something to check out pretty cerefully.
    i am hoping not - she is bone dry which gives me hope. I am prepared for integrated timeline solution. I will take a long look and probe. I think she will be strong as the rest of her is not too bad

This boat was great find - I am quite lucky to have her. She is more solid than i thought. I brought her out of the water - i don;t think she has been out for at least 10 years. But her wood is solid and good nick considering.

Anyway - We got some major work done. It stopped raining friday night - I work began at 6:30. not major problems except for... the beginning when I climbed the yard ladder early before anyone was around. I tied it off and got aboard. rummaged around for a few minutes preparing. Swung my lead over the side to step down and the ladder broke. I took a tumble off. My underside arm caught the life lines and slowed my fall as my chest hit the hull and landed on my feet. - very lucky considering all things to have only bruisese or broken anything more than old stern steel which has seen better days. You can see it in the first photo.

other than that - it is amazing what happens when you have 3 guys for 2 day working without breaks and racing the next incoming rainy cold weather...

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-15-2014 at 12:42 PM.

The plan was and still is to do a decent job now and when the weather is better in late spring hull it out again .....

So we knocked off the old paint off the hull and faired the bottom. With 2 fein vacuum sanders, 60 grit, large thermo of expresso and some fancy german pastries me and my crew got to it. i chose to let hull dry a bit and fill in the major voids (when the last owner leaned it against the pilings without bumpers or padding when he did a fast scrub and paint at low tide) with a gflex and mahogany wood dust. It seem to work well as we let it set and firm up. Since we are racing the weather clock and want to be done before Wednesday night for a thursday morning launch we moved at record speed leaving some more work for next time she comes when i can take off a full week.

Filling major voids below using tape to keep the peanut butter epoxy pressed in and flat.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-15-2014 at 01:10 PM.