Thread: Haven 12 1/2

Default Haven 12 1/2

I decided to plane down some rough cut walnut boards that I have had drying in the loft of my barn for the Shearstrakes on my 12 1/2 build. While passing thru the planer a knot appeared. It grew in size and reflected light. Upon closer examination with an ice pick it proved to be soft metal. If all goes well and I am able to install the walnut shear strakes without breaking, I will epoxy the lead musket ball into the build at some point. The boat may also have gained its name today. Boat building reveals many treasurers along the way.

Default Re: Haven 12 1/2

I suspect you mean you'll use the piece elsewhere and not to spring in as her sheerstrake? Neat find. What would the name be? Bullet? Hunter? Shot? Missed?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I will epoxy the musket ball in on the inboard edge of the stem piece and call her Musket Ball. Thanks for responding. Fun stuff, this boat building.

I worked at a paper mill in the south. Some of the pulp wood came from forest land surrounding a bombing range. On occasion lead bullets would wind up in the chippers. Other times, spent uranium bullets. Guess which did more damage to the machinery?

Very interesting. Does the uranium bullet look different from the lead. Only asking because it is sitting on the table next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@Border Hill View Post
    Very interesting. Does the uranium bullet look different from the lead. Only asking because it is sitting on the table next to me.
    I’m guess you could measure the density. Lead is 11 grams per cubic cm. Uranium is 19. It’d be great for a keel and might even dissuade marine growth.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!