Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Restoring Lively Lady II

Default Re: Restoring Lively Lady II

Great thread, thanks for sharing.
    Great work, & approach, & practical high end sail setup, I like you used carbon & other high tech materials where it makes sense
    That setup just looks so nice, as for the 'super aerotech' keel, perhaps I don't see the detail in the photos, it really doesn't seem to be too radical (I know it was for its time), but really, its not that radical is it?
    Very glad the mahogany withstood time, please post reports with airspeed+real speed when you do get it tuned in, I'd love to hear what she can do semi planing in a constant 20kt blow - better yet - have the gopro handy and post it

or do it like this video - with a drone - that would be very worthy

I have been working hard recently on Lively Lady. I am in the middle of rehabbing the galley - I pulled the old plywood countertop off and really making an attempt to make it more visually pleasing and appealing for my wife.. A boat that can't hold good fresh drinking water sure makes for less comfortable weekends. So that led me to hand clean the original stainless water tank that is built into the the galley. With the tank exposed for the first time in 40 years, I began where I could - I opened up the large 12" inspection plate, gave it a kunckle busting but throrough hand wipe down as far as I could reach and then followed it up with 3 X flushed with Apple vinegar letting it sit for a couple f days each. The smell of vinegar are has nearly gone in the three additional fresh water flushes I did. I used the shop vac to completely dry it out. The water now is crystal clear with a hint of vinagar. It should pass in the months to come to be just clean and fresh. To finish that tank - I ended up sealing the inspectin plate with 4000 which is food grade safe and water tight for sure. I am happy to report the original 25 gallon stainless water tank is in great condition. I additionally ran new all new water lines lines, connected the new sink to the ballcocks I installed last summer. The nice stainless tap and stainless sink should be good for years and looks right for an old sporting weekend boat. I finally roughed in the mahogany strip planking counter top which is begging to look quite proper.

I chose not to install the fancy stainless oven/three burner CNG stove. I am instead using a stainless single burner gimbaled stove and have another 2 burner portable propane stove for additional cooking options. The forwards section on the galley has been finished deep section to accomidate the gimballed stove deep in the compartment at counter level, can hold pots, pans and a coffee maker. The area on the other side of the sink will hold a box for supplies and emergency tools. The whole forward counter top pops off giving complete access to the ballcocks and water tank in case of an emergency. It will be quite practical and match the beautiful starboard side chart table and 75 gallon ice chest.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 04-25-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

That will look nice when you are done with it Ted.

We have had a wet winter here. I've only sailed her a bit since New Years. There have been some set backs and unexpected event which caused me to do some fill and paint.

On a rainy day a few weeks ago - I recently ran across the Marin Independent Journal front page 5 page story written about my boat dated January 4, 1969. (I am going to get a clearer copy of the article as she was prepared and sent to Florida to compete in the SORC.) The captain and crew were already legends here in the San Francisco bay. Many of the crew became legends in their own right winning on the national and international stage for decades.

Some text from the article below.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-20-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Marin Journal - Saturday, January 4, 1969

The Skipper Of The Lively Lady Mike Shea And His Boat Are Racing Champions

THE LIVELY LADY Bay Areas Winningest Yacht Takes On Eastern Challengers WITH THE WIND in his hair, but warmly garbed against the brisk sea air, Mike Shea is happiest at the tiller of his Lively Lady, whether on a pleasure or practice sail, or engaged in racing competition with the best available challengers. If you're a San Francisco Bay yachtsman — you know who Mike Shea is. He’s the bay’s winningest skipper: Pacific Coast champion in 1962: San Francisco Bay champ in ’62. '65. ’66 and '68; one-man ocean racing champ for three years, and three-time winner of triple bay classic known as the ‘‘Midnight Moonlight Marathon” in which some 70 to 80 competitiors enter. The rest of the time he leads an interesting if less competitive workaday life as a jet captain for American Airlines. And spends as much time as he can with his wife, Nancy, and family of six youngsters, at their home on the water at 77 West Shore, Belvedere. Now, he’s answering one of the great challenges for any skipper. AS CAPTAIN of the great COVER PHOTO WITH A stiff wind blowing and the waters kicking up, Mike Shea's Lively Lady, a 30-foot racing boat designed in consultation with Oakland naval architect Gary Mull and built in Taiwan, cuts through the bay with no difficulty. The Lively Lady, one of the most successful Class D boats in Pacific Coast racing, has been shipped to Florida, there to challenge the best in the East in the annual Southern Ocean Racing Circuit competition. (Photos by Diane Beeston) team of designer, builder, crew and backer, he will enter the Southern Ocean Racing Circuit competition of six lengthy races including the Nassau Governor's Cup in February and March, at St. Petersburg, Fla. He will enter a design that has won 11 out of 12 races in which it has been entered, it is a design arrived at after lengthy consultation with Gary Mull. Oakland naval architect, built in Taiwan entirely mahogany and teak. She is the Lively Lady, a 30- foot “Cruising Club D” design similar to that known as a “Newport Thirty.” She is “strip- planked and edge-glued,” with no frames — one of a very few of her construction in the entire world. and of HER PLANKS are inch-and-a- half mahogany, her trim is teak. Her small coachhouse cabin is well raked, her deck is flush. She has a nine-and-a-half foot beam and weighs 10.000 pounds, with half of that weight in her lead-keel ballast. Captain Shea has collected a star-studded crew fc* the big February-March effort. First and foremost is his family but Shea has enioyed in sail racing Is attested by the huge collection of trophies in his home. Always the professional, Shea is a jet plane pilot for American Airlines. backer David Allen, Alarin County builder and developer, and president of the Belvedere Land Co. Allen will stand the costs of entering the Lively Lady in the Southern Ocean competitions — a series of races ranging from 85 to 435 miles in distance, and known as “the great American tank test,’’ where all the greatest of the country’s designers and yachtsmen bring (Continued on Page M3)

THE LIVELY LADY is the picture of grace as she glides over smooth waters of San Francisco Bay with skipper and crew relaxing aboard. Things become much busier, however, when the 30-foot boat competes in yachting races as she often does. Skipper Mike Shea has assembled an expert and experienced crew for what looms ahead of the Lively Lady's biggest season of racing.

BEFORE DEPARTING for Florida and the upcoming Southern Ocean Racing Circuit season, the Lively Lady underwent a careful check and tune-up in her home port. Backer David Allen, left, who is also a member of the crew, and skipper Mike Shea supervise as Mike Verrier does a Ħob. WITH WIFE Nancy, Mike Shea relaxes on the deck of their comfortable Belvedere home beside the water upon which he spends so much of his leisure time. while other trophies from his sailing successes can be seen on the shelves behind him. IN DRYDOCK, thesize and thelines of the Gary Mull-designed Lively Lady are impressive and pleasing to the eyes. MIKE SHEA puts a bit of shine on one of the cups his yachting prowess has won for him, A QUIET MOMENT in his skippering of the refreshing can of beer and the blue of Lively Lady is used by Mike Shea, to enjoy breakfast overhead.

Jet Pilot And Boat Skipper Mike Shea Leads Two Busy Lives Continued from Page M2 their best new efforts for comparison and test. A “TANK TEST” is to a yachtsman as a wind tunnel is to an airplane builder. The sailing crew is studded with talent. There’s Lowell North of San Diego, generally considered the world’s best sailmaker. With him will be his Northern California partner, Allen Mitchell. They will watch the performance of the Lady’s sails.

The boat’s designer, Gary Mull of Oakland, will be aboard to lend a hand, as will David Allen, Steve Taft, Tom Cooke and Les Brilliant of Belvedere. Don Felix of San Francisco and Ding Schoonmaker of St. Petersburg, navigator, complete the roster of blue-water sailors. THE PROSPECTS are good. Lively Lady, a D-class boat, has already won races against C and B classes. She was hauled from the water in early December and trucked to St. Petersburg. Except for some extraordinary troubles in one race that the Lively Lady lost by only seven seconds on corrected time, she would be entering the southern circuit as an unbeaten contender. The loss was in the Hearst Regatta, and in spite of the fact she broke her spinnaker pole, hove to for repairs and limped home on a jury rig, she came in ahead of the pack, only to lose, by those slim seven seconds, on corrected time. SHEA’S YOUNGSTERS are taking to the water. Two of his five daughters are sailing successfully, as is his 10-year-old son. Shea learned to fly with the Air Force, having flown B24s out of Africa and Italy in World War 11 until he was shot down over Yugoslavia, He then walked out in 30 days to freedom. The design of the Lively Lady is already a proven success. She has been looked-at with interest by Olin Stevens and Halsey Herreshoff, two of the world’s best designers. And an initial 10 boats of the Lively Lady class will be built for sale, as soon as a builder can be decided upon. So it will be with more than casual interest that t h e Belvedere, Marin County and Bay Area yachting communities will watch the Southern Ocean Racing Circuit this year, and the performances of Mike Shea of Belvedere, and the San Francisco Yacht Club’s Lively Lady and her crew.

THE LIVELY Lady heels slightly and the fine spray flies as Mike Shea, a young crew and their 30- foot craft enjoy the exhilaration of a sail on San Francisco Bay.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-20-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Nice Boat...I like her lines!

WgMkr

Great stuff, Ted; nothing like a little history to incentivise one.

He everyone,
    I just noticed someone really early in this thread likened Lively Lady II to a Duncanson 35 - I owned, lived aboard and sailed a Duncanson 35 for eight years, and there is a resemblance - not the stern though. The Duncanson 35's hull was basically a copy of a Sparkman and Stephens (S&S 34) but with a different deck.
    Nice restoration.

I have begun to address some rot and will be doing some painting over the next few weeks.

Recently I discovered rot around my frames and soft spots. It started with a poking file but soon turned into a multimaster party where i cut soft ply out. I left only a skin behind and bored out dry rot completely.

when i was satisfied, i wet down the entire sections with acetone with injected syringes. I did three attempts at penetrating epoxy over a 5 day period. then I then cut out several mahogany dutchmen which i sanded, screwed and glued into place. I faired and applied epoxy with 403 and 410 microballons to smooth it out to a clean finish.

The photo below has one coat of sanding primer to fair and smooth.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-02-2017 at 12:29 AM.

If that wasn't enough... I had this other unforeseen issue. In January when i was racing I was port tacked by a Express 27 (they ran right in front of me where i slammed into them. I hit them so hard that i holed the express 27 from the waterline to the deck. They and i were very lucky no one got hurt!) Being very Corinthian, I only asked them to pay for my lost forestay and i would do my own repairs. It was a rough year for me and my boat as i had been hit another time 2 months earlier.

Anyway the damage to the bow was significant enough. But liking a challenge - i began to work this too. The stem was fine and her hull strength is incredible. Great built Wooden boats rock as they continue to show their toughness to the world! Lively Lady is one of those boats you know will take care of you when the dangerous world looks like it is coming right at you or more so when it hits you in the nose.

I decided that a dock side painted workman finish will do until i haul her out again. ("The horror!" said the man with the beautiful gold plater in the bottle down the dock. )

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-02-2017 at 01:31 AM.

We had a racing incident in our club where a port tack plastic boat was dipping a 100 year old Kauri yacht, got rounded up in a gust to T-bone the old girl just beside the back of the cabin.
    The bow of the fibreglass boat was stoved in to the point where they were taking on water and the old girl was out racing the next day.

My Yacht is built the same way by the way as Lively Lady II, but built in 78.
    Keep up the good work!