Thread: 1949 Bailey Ketch. Owner's "Sharkbitten" body found onboard in 1951.

Default 1949 Bailey Ketch. Owner's "Sharkbitten" body found onboard in 1951.

I bought this boat 10 years ago and thought you might be interested in her history. The following is a copy of a report in the "Morning Bulletin", Rockhampton Queensland on Monday the 3rd of september 1951. Followed by a couple of relatively current pics of her 65 years later.

MANGLED BODY OF MAN FOUND ON KETCH IN FITZROY RIVER
    "With the right leg completely torn off at the hip and the right portion of the pelvis missing, the body of a middle-aged man was found by the police yesterday after noon lying over the side of the 45 ft. ketch Christine, which was aground on Humbug Leads in the fitzroy River. The man is believed to be Dr Ernest Joske, 56, married, of Adelaide. There was no one else on board.
    The body was lying amid- ships and one leg was caught over the guide wire and the upper portion of the body was entangled in the rigging. The left arm and shoulder were partly buried in the mud and the right arm was extended upwards.
    Where the pelvis was miss- ing there was a cavity in the
    abdomen.
    The police do not suspect foul play.
    When found by the _ police the boat was lying on its star- board beam on Humbug Lead, 20 miles by water downstream from Rockhampton, ' and on the northern bank. The boat was headed downstream.
    The ketch was flying the signal flag, "I want a pilot."
    The police believe that, while sailing up the river alone, the
    engine of his boat cut out and when the boat began to drift the man believed to be Dr. Joske, hurried around to the forrard to try to drop anchor.
    It is thought that, as he hur- ried around, he injured him- self and the boat went ashore on the northern bank. Dr. Joske's injury, it is thought, caused a considerable loss of blood.
    Police believe that the ves-
    sel suddenly keeled over and Dr. Joske overbalanced and
    became entangled in the ropes
    and the guide wires on the side of the boat. While he was over the side of the boat it is believed that a shark took him and inflicted the injuries from which he subsequently died.
    First news of the Christine was flashed to Rockhampton by a radio message from the s.s. Caledon, which, at 12.38 p.m. informed the police that the Christine was aground and that the master apparently was injured.
    The. ketch was not seen en- tering the river yesterday morning and it is believed that her master brought her in be- fore or about daylight.
    Detective-Sergeant H. G.
    Cook and Constable J. P. Peoples, together with Mr. J. L. McMaster (ambulance bearer). Mr Donovan (Department of Harbours and Marine) and Mr. H. Rittmeir, hastened to the grounded ketch in the launches Ursula and Sylvia. The party left Rockhampton shortly after 2 p.m.
    Constable Peoples brought the body to Rockhampton in the Ursula, arriving between 8.30 p.m. and 9 p.m. A post mortem examination was held later.
    VESSEL REFLOATED
    Detective-Sergeant Cook re- mained with the Christine, and when the tide began to rise the vessel was refloated.
    She was refloated at 9.10 p.m. under the direction of Pilot P. C. Gibson, who was assisted by Mr. R. F. Pope, of the pilot station, and Mr. Rittmeir. Mr. Donovan, who skilfully man- oeuvred the Sylvia, made the task of refloating the ketch much easier.
    Detective-Sergeant Cook said that the ketch was ashore be- tween some fallen trees and the
    bank and this made refloating her a fairly hazardous opera-
    tion.
    The Sylvia then towed the Christine to Rockhampton, where she berthed at 12.20 a.m. today.
    Dr. Joske left Brisbane in the ketch last Saturday week alone for Bowen.
    His wife flew from Brisbane to Adelaide last night to attend
    the funeral of her brother. The Brisbane C.I.B. last night asked the Adelaide police to interview
    her.
    Dr. Joske's boat was berthed in Brisbane for two months before he left alone to sail to Bowen. He gave up his med- ical practice to undertake a world trip. He said he wanted to do cancer research in the United States and Great Brit- ain and that the Federal Gov- ernment had accepted his offer to investigate prepaid medical insurance. He expected to be away for two years.
    His intention was to sail single-handed from Adelaide to Lakes Entrance (New South Wales), and then to New Zea- land, Panama, Florida, New York, across the Atlantic to England and then cruise in European waters before return- ing to Australia.
    He left Port Adelaide at the end of September last year. After engine trouble he was still battling storms in the Bass Strait in January. Misfortune continued to dog him up the
    eastern coast.

Default Re: 1949 Bailey Ketch. Owner's "Sharkbitten" body found onboard in 1951.

Quite a history. I like that you don't hold all this against her.

G'luck

Default Re: 1949 Bailey Ketch. Owner's "Sharkbitten" body found onboard in 1951.

Interesting history, gorgeous boat.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Nice looking boat and I like your dog too.

Bob

Yarrr!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

What a beautiful boat and crazy story to go with it. I'm down. The good Dr. is probably happy someone took care of his boat in his stead. Quite the sequence of events.

I don't feel so bad now about my luck and circumstances. Great story of a fellow Adelaidean. Great boat to support his plans, i'd have thought, but sometimes everything just goes wrong. At the risk of being melodramatic, can't you hear his thoughts, as he trips through the rigging... "hell, what else could possibly go wrong..."
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

When I bought this boat, we sailed it around from Sydney, via Wollongong, (Big Southerly came through and forced our hand to go in), Eden (got whacked through Bass Strait) Appollo Bay, Port Fairy, then Adelaide.
    Between Apollo Bay and Port Fairy, there was a small flotilla of yachts enroute from Melbourne to Port Fairy on an annual jaunt. Lots of communication between them in the small hours after midnight and one of the names I kept hearing as part of the radio chat was "Achernar". So quite a few bursts of "Achernar", "Achernar", "Achernar" preceding the message.
    You can imagine that it got a little "long in the tooth"! Anyway, at about 3am after we had come alongside at beautiful Port Fairy, in comes this lovely old Wooden Ketch and she ties up immediately astern of me, of course it was "Achernar" a 50 odd foot Alden ketch, which I found very interesting.
    What was really interesting though was that for quite some time she was owned by a Doctor Joske, the surviving son of the fellow who was killed on my boat some years before. True story!
    Maybe someone knows the Alden Ketch in question!

She's a beautiful boat Terry , a real picture !

Can you give us any other details ? About 36 foot ? Who designed her ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Designed be a New Zealander "Captain John Bailey", she is one of 3 built here in Adelaide, (Port Adelaide to be precise) by Searle's Boatyard. Sisters are "Solace" (1934) and "Soliloquy" (now in Tasmania apparently).
    She is called "Setanta" now, but was also known as "Snowgoose" for a while, apparently during a period on Sydney Harbour, where she was owned by the US Ambassador.
    I bought her from a real good fellow called Mark Riley, who had her on a mooring at the Sydney Amateurs Sailing Club, he was pretty active on Sydney Harbour in the Classic Racing scene, apparently doing pretty well.
    Copper Sheathed, there is always a spot to repair during Haulouts, but of course the Copper protects her Jarrah and Oregon hull pretty well and it is a reasonable topic of conversation as well. Bermudan Rigged, Hood Dacron Sails,
    Yanmar 3 Cylinder 37hp Diesel.
    Currently she is on the maintenance Wharf and I am giving her some well overdue paint and varnish. Masts are out and waiting for another 6 odd coats. I have made some new cockpit coamings out of Kauri Pine, which will I be fitting soon, (more varnish), so there is a fair bit going on, but I am hoping to have her ready for cruising sometime in January.
    I am talking with my wife about the notion of returning her to her original name "Christine", but she isn't all that keen.
    I'll get some more detail that I want to have correct.

Great looking ketch. I like many things about her rig, such as the independent standing main backstays, and what appears to be good separation between main and mizzen.

Is that roller-reefing on the mainboom?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Great looking ketch. I like many things about her rig, such as the independent standing main backstays, and what appears to be good separation between main and mizzen.

Is that roller-reefing on the mainboom?

Dave
    Thanks for the interest Dave. No Roller Reefing on the main boom, but it is a system that some of the Searles boats around these parts have and I like it. Probably the main difference between my being able to single hand sail her and not.
    Funny you should bring that up, as I was thinking only yesterday about what that might take. Obviously another Round main boom that can can be turned. I like the stowge aspect for the sail as well.
    Do you know of any current systems that I could look at perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Interesting history, gorgeous boat.
    ditto!!! That's a lovely boat.

Terry my boat, 50' ketch has roller reefing on the main. While it seems like a nice idea, I intend to get rid of it. The gearing is such (and has to be such) that while OK for reefing, a full roll or unroll of the sail is a slow and laborious process. And it can be done single handed, but ideally you have one person on the roller handle and another controlling the halliard tension. In tems of ability single hand, lazy jacks and some well sorted reefing lines is a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Terry my boat, 50' ketch has roller reefing on the main. While it seems like a nice idea, I intend to get rid of it. The gearing is such (and has to be such) that while OK for reefing, a full roll or unroll of the sail is a slow and laborious process. And it can be done single handed, but ideally you have one person on the roller handle and another controlling the halliard tension. In tems of ability single hand, lazy jacks and some well sorted reefing lines is a better solution.
    Thanks for the advice phil. I added a lazy Jack setup and I do think of that as a big improvement, guess I just need to do as much as I can to get the Main up and down easier than it currently is. The current Main Halyard is very strong line, but very thin making it uncomfortable to handle under tension, so i'll be replacing that and a few others during this refit. as well as looking at ways toward refining the use of the reefing system.

Phil, I forgot to ask you about your Ketch, can you tell me about it?
    Terry

Terry, any chance of seeing pictures of below decks? A good cruiser is almost as interesting below.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryOz View Post
    Phil, I forgot to ask you about your Ketch, can you tell me about it?
    Terry
    Terry I dont want to sidetrack this thread, which I hope you will add to. I think threads just showcasing some of our existing boats would be a good thing to see more of, kind of a virtual wooden boat show. Maybe I should do a thread on my boat Balia. She appears on here from time to time. Built in Tassie, and presently moored in Tassie. 1974, strip planked, twin keels and rudders. The design was the culmination of some extensive development of the twin keel concept by Lord Riverdale and Arthur Robb.

You might try a wire halyard, with a rope tail-so that when the sail is up, it is wire pretty well all the way to the winch, but the part you handle is braided rope of whatever is comfortable-12 or even 14mm. One boat I had, had a setup called a Dutchman Flaking system. It worked brilliantly, cleaner than lazyjacks, and more effective I think. 2 or 3 vertical lines from the boom to the topping lift, laced back and forth through the main, passing through slotted grommets . Absolutely brilliant. On that boat the main halyard led aft to the cockpit, and the main could very easily be raised or lowered by one person without even leaving the helm.

The
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You might try a wire halyard, with a rope tail-so that when the sail is up, it is wire pretty well all the way to the winch, but the part you handle is braided rope of whatever is comfortable-12 or even 14mm. One boat I had, had a setup called a Dutchman Flaking system. It worked brilliantly, cleaner than lazyjacks, and more effective I think. 2 or 3 vertical lines from the boom to the topping lift, laced back and forth through the main, passing through slotted grommets . Absolutely brilliant. On that boat the main halyard led aft to the cockpit, and the main could very easily be raised or lowered by one person without even leaving the helm.
    Hi Phil,
    I like the sound of the system you described! I had a look on the net at images and descriptions and found it interesting. I can see that lowering the Main would be quick, easy and neat from a stowage aspect.
    Are you suggesting that it was this system that allowed the Main Halyard to be run back to the cockpit? As in it made the "uphaul" easier?
    Currently, I have to leave the cockpit, pull down hard on the Main Halyard, raise the sail until I need the winch on the Mainmast. It is hard for me to imagine being able to do this from the cockpit and reckon it would be a real luxury by comparison.
    Terry

Yes and maybe I guess! Bringing the halyard back to the cockpit added some friction, but in the case of the boat I had this system on that didn't matter a lot, she had 2 big electric winches, and everything was led to those. But, if you have a look around the marina you will see plenty of racing boats with the halyard led through a turning block at the mast base, through an organiser on the cabin top, back to a rope clutch and then to a shared winch at the back of the cabin. If that is a self tailing winch, things become pretty easy. The Dutchman system is nice because the leech never gets caught up on the falls, the sail doesn't get bunched up between the 2 sets of ropes you have with lazy jacks, and after some use the sail learns where to fold very nicely. It doesn't seem to create creases or weak spots, but it just flakes perfectly either side of the falls every time. Too easy.

Interesting boat Terry, I saw the Bailey reference and thought we were going to find some late Charles Bailey design we'd not heard of here. ( but I see your information on the designer)
    The problem to consider with leading halyards back is reefing. Its not logical to have reefing at the gooseneck and halyard back in the cockpit, so therefore you need to also have reefing back in the cockpit as well. That means 2 tack lines and 2 clew lines ( for 2 reefs ) plus halyard so all of a sudden you need 5 jammers and associated deck organiser blocks and 5 turning blocks at the mast/ deck just for those . Start adding vang, staysail and spinnaker halyards and the cabin top becomes a carpet of lines.
    People who look after that on a race boat are called keyboard operators for good reason.
    Reefing from the cockpit is great but its not without the disadvantage of all that extra friction and fuss setting the main for just normal day to day stuff .As Phil says , I'd consider it if there were an electric winch but without I'd rather just have it all at the mast .
    Last edited by John B; 10-27-2014 at 04:09 PM.

John is right of course. I think on that boat the reefing did not lead aft. But it was a ketch, so mostly reefing involved dropping the main completely. She was 57 odd feet and 20 odd tonnes of steel, so not all that sensitive to fine adjustments.

Anyway, I remembered that in an old toolbox I have a few bits and pieces which i retained when i sold that one, including some of these Duthcman sail grommets-at least thats the best I can describe them. I was going to post some pictures, but right now my camera wont talk to my computer. They are flat plastic discs with a slot. I guess the disc is 5cm diameter, and the slot is 1.5 X.3 cm. or thereabouts. They have a peel off backing and seem to be self adhesive, with a series of mating spurs and sockets. Looking closely I saw the letters MVB Inc, and a google search led me to a website.
    http://dutchmar.com/ There seem to be some problems with the website, lots of 404 errors. I did find some info there, but they make it look a lot more complex than my setup was. Particularly the clamps attaching the vertical falls to the toping lift. I think on mine they were just seized on. Anyway, enough of Dutchmen, let's have more info on Setanta!
    Last edited by Phil Y; 10-28-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Heres those grommet things

Post deleted
    Last edited by TerryOz; 10-31-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Double post

She is a beauty Terry, wonderfull clean wake only a canoe stern is able to produce, enjoy.
    Cheers Tom

I have to say "THANKYOU" Dr Joske was my Mothers cousins husband ,and was for many years a mystery of exactly what happened . I was 1 at the time the same age as his son from the marriage .......... Amazing story of what happened to the boat over the years

That's some story. Reads like the opening chapter of a Stephen King novel.
    -Dave

Doesn't get any easier reading it the second time around either.

I posted before .....my Mothers cousin was married to Dr Joske (Hazel Hammond )we always have had this story in our family . I was 1 year old when it happened the same age as Dr Joske's son .My Mum 's sister had a daughter 3 weeks after I was born and named her Christine and she is still alive and well . The story is amazing to say the least .....Christine is strong in the family

Default Re: 1949 Bailey Ketch. Owner's "Sharkbitten" body found onboard in 1951. New pics!

"SETANTA", formerly "Christine" the vessel under discussion in this thread turns 70 next year and I have been working hard to have her looking good for the occasion. New Cockpit Coamings, made of Kauri, with Australian Red Mahogany Caps, Masts and other Brightwork done, refastened the stem, fully sanded hull and repaint with some caulking done, even polished the Port Rings etc etc. Thought I'd show a couple of pics, where we motored up river to inner Port Adelaide to be part of the inaugural Adelaide Wooden and Classic Boat Fest. A good weekend and she wasn't embarrassed by the other nicely turned out Boats. Nothing like having a target date to works towards! IMG_7868.jpgIMG_6507.jpg

Nice. Thanks for the update.
    -Dave

Looking very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boat Balia is on Adelaide now by the way. In North Haven. A bit of deck work going on at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a sweetly-proportioned design!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.