Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: Restoring a 20 ft. Nordlandsbåt. Traditional row and sail from northern Norway.

Default Re: Restoring a 20 ft. Nordlandsbåt. Traditional row and sail from northern Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Nice one Fred! If there is a link at some point to the programme, i would like to see it.
    We were promised to get a dvd with the program when it had been published. They said it would be on tv in april. To be honest I did not get the name of the TV-swow, and if I did I would not understand the letters

I might be able to post some links when I get the dvd. The name of the TV host and actor is Yasuhisa Furuhara. I tried too google what TV-station he work for but could not find it...

Anyway, I believe he either had a very good time sailing, or he is a good actor Most likely both!

Default Re: Restoring a 20 ft. Nordlandsbåt. Traditional row and sail from northern Norway.

Stainless steel seems to make galvanized goods rust when they are in contact.
    Scaraborgcraft: I had the stainless steel eyebolts laying around. I may swap them for galvanized in the future but not top priority.

/Mats

Elected Swedish Yourneyman of the Year 2019

Quote Originally Posted by mohsart View Post
    Stainless steel seems to make galvanized goods rust when they are in contact. /Mats
    Thinking about it there is stainless steel carabiners on the jib, running ont the galvanized forestay, but no signs of rust so far. I guess you also need water/moisture to get the rust, so maybe I should melt in som tar and tallow on the wire around the thimble also to insulate and reduce contact...

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Thinking about it there is stainless steel carabiners on the jib, running ont the galvanized forestay, but no signs of rust so far. I guess you also need water/moisture to get the rust, so maybe I should melt in som tar and tallow on the wire around the thimble also to insulate and reduce contact...
    Stainless corrodes in the absence of oxygen, so stainless hanks on galvo wire will only rust when the galvo is worn off. Allow the air in or seal the galvo with some zinc rich paint.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I am getting my nordlandsboat ready for a season on water. Because I have other boats, and no trailer for this, it was used only two times last year with a borrowed trailer. This year I will rent a place from the Coastal federation in the marina in Bodø. It will be a 5 month season, and hopefully a lot of sailing together with other traditional boats. So expect more sharing on this thread too :-)

20190429_192052.jpg

Looking wonderful!

She looks beautiful Fred. Wish I was there to crew for you. Maybe one day.

We have snow today but the birds are still singing.

Gary

Yeah, sorry I did not tell you how many days I would recomend spending here first time you arrived :-) BTW: The coastal federation will get two 20 ft square rigged boats in a couple of years, and then we really will need all the creew we can get.Put that in your calendar Gary!

Excellent! More sailing in Norway pictures needed. Boat looking , and no doubt smelling, ready to go.

Finally on water in Bodø harbour. We dit a test-sailing and got typical 1. of may weather. From no wind to 8 ms. sun and hail at the same time. But the boat loved it and sailed up to 6 knot. speed. Looking forward to next trip.

As a trained eye will see she can take more ballast, and have more stability, but I will let it swell a bit before loading more ballast.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Finally on water in Bodø harbour. We dit a test-sailing and got typical 1. of may weather. From no wind to 8 ms. sun and hail at the same time. But the boat loved it and sailed up to 6 knot. speed. Looking forward to next trip.

As a trained eye will see she can take more ballast, and have more stability, but I will let it swell a bit before loading more ballast.

Nice.
    What will you use for ballast? I prefer plastic drums of water. Won't take her down in case of accident, and easy to dispose of when you haul out.

Sounds good. I really look forward to it.

Have a great spring.

I am using stones for balast like they are build for. I have been thinking a lot of the danger of the stones taking the boat down in a capsize, an would like to find a way to have some boyancy. On the other hand I also like the idea of learning the traditional use of these boats. One thing you really need to do here in Northern Norway is to sail safe, and be ready to take the power out of the sail fast. The waters here are cold most of the year, so we need to be on the safe side.

I am using stones for balast like they are build for. I have been thinking a lot of the danger of the stones taking the boat down in a capsize, an would like to find a way to have some boyancy. On the other hand I also like the idea of learning the traditional use of these boats. One thing you really need to do here in Northern Norway is to sail safe, and be ready to take the power out of the sail fast. The waters here are cold most of the year, so we need to be on the safe side.
    I believe that they used round rocks so that they would roll out if the boat capsizes. OK as far as it goes, but it still leaves you with an unstable swamped boat that you cannot sail home. If the traditional users had big plastic containers that they could fill with water, they would have used them.
    I do not know if there is much on record of how your small craft were sailed, but the Shetland boats are recorded, cousins of your boats from Bergen. They always had a man on the halyard ready to drop the sail if the boat was going too fast and became "sea loose". The sailsman kept one foot on the planking so that he could feel the vibration of the water flowing under the boat. The halyard was never belayed for that reason.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 05-01-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I believe that they used round rocks so that they would roll out if the boat capsizes.
    Seven flat stones of suitable size are used in a romsdal-faering according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SgZSs1ogQk

I believe that they used round rocks so that they would roll out if the boat capsizes.
    That's what I've heard too, at least for the long ships.
    I heard of a Viking ship replica that capsized at sea and sunk. A day after, it floated again, due to the round stones ballast having fallen out once the ship hit the bottom. That was in the 80-ies, IIRC.

/Mats

I love that video, seen it before. I really doubt that round stones roll out in a capzice, especially in a relatively deep Nordlandsboat as mine. I know some use plastic containers with water as Nick, some use sandbags. So maybe flat stones is just as good, maybe better? I think my boat will need to turtle to let the stones go. There is two reasons I dont want containers with water, the look of it, and it needs more space in the bottom of the boat for the same weight as stones. I also have a couple of old wheel tubes with balancing weight. (coveredd with stones.)

The little dilemma here is that we sail traditional boats because we like the looks of them, and we want to keep history and knowledge of use etc. My boat will be a much better and safer boat if I make fixed ballast and boyancy camber... But do I really want to do that?

20190501_125216.jpg

Viking ship and round stones that are rolling off the ship when capsizing is the classic story. I learned that at primary school. However, does it work that way? Probably not. When the ship turns over, the stones will probably roll to the side of the ship and be trapped by the gunwale and contribute to a fast sinking of the ship. In 1988 a copy of the Oseberg Viking ship was built (“Dronningen” ), and it turned over and went down very fast (20 seconds have been mentioned) on its first voyage. Exactly what happened is not clear. The ship was later rescued, repaired and a bit modified and was sailing until it went down in the Mediterranean ocean in 1992 and is still there as far as I know.

My boat have the name Signe, since it was buildt. Signe will now get a friend called Hagbard. Signe and Hagbard is a couple from an old viking story. My friend bought a 19 ft Nordlandboat faering. He got it cheap, because it had some damage on the sheer aft. We picked it up in Lofoten. The seller told us it was damaged because a storm pushed waves into the boatshed. I will replace the sheer strake, and fix some other damages the boat got. In return it will be free for me to use, and we will also use it together in a rowing regatta. Some photos from a fantastic trip to Lofoten and the boat.

Last edited by Fredostli; 05-02-2019 at 01:51 PM.

My boat have the name Signe, since it was buildt. Signe will now get a friend called Hagbard. Signe and Hagbard is a couple from an old viking story. My friend bought a 19 ft Nordlandboat faering. He got it cheap, because it had some damage on the sheer aft. We picked it up in Lofoten. The seller told us it was damaged because a storm pushed waves into the boatshed. I will replace the sheer strake, and fix some other damages the boat got. In return it will be free for me to use, and we will also use it together in a rowing regatta.

Interesting drift of terminology. We would call the white strake the shear and the blue one a washstrake. Nice faering.

Interesting drift of terminology. We would call the white strake the shear and the blue one a washstrake. Nice faering.
    What does shear mean, if anything special, in that context?
    Here, the strake the oars rest upon is called "tullbord" (tull means toll or thole(-pin) or opening), so it depends a bit on how the oars are used.
    If the oars lies between a recess in the upper most strake and rests on the second strake, the upper most strake can be called stänkbord or skvättbord, which pretty much means washstrake.
    However, if the boat has removable strakes, only used in really bad weather are called stänkbord/skvättbord.
    There are also local variations across the country, so it can get pretty confusing.

/Mats

Quote Originally Posted by mohsart View Post
    What does shear mean, if anything special, in that context?
    Here, the strake the oars rest upon is called "tullbord" (tull means toll or thole(-pin) or opening), so it depends a bit on how the oars are used.
    If the oars lies between a recess in the upper most strake and rests on the second strake, the upper most strake can be called stänkbord or skvättbord, which pretty much means washstrake.
    However, if the boat has removable strakes, only used in really bad weather are called stänkbord/skvättbord.
    There are also local variations across the country, so it can get pretty confusing.

/Mats
    I would expect the shear strake to run full length and not terminate butted against a timber head as those do.
    It might be better to call that strake a saxboard rather than a washstrake. My bad.

The saxboard supports the oar bed and thole pins on a Thames skiff, and is the structural member to which the outriggers of a racing shell are bolted.

Which would probably be your tullbord.

yep,, Saxboard is what i need to replace, just did not know the english term :-) It was a facinating place to pick up a boat like this. Its a "Hundromsfæring" A faering wit a half extra"rom" ( One extra frame) making it better to row for two. the owner told us they had kept it in the shed and used it to fish. This is on the western side of Lofoten and open sea all the way to Iceland.

The boat have no rig, but its posible to have a sailrig. My friend will consider it next year.

yep,, Saxboard is what i need to replace, just did not know the english term :-) It was a facinating place to pick up a boat like this. Its a "Hundromsfæring" A faering wit a half extra"rom" ( One extra frame) making it better to row for two. the owner told us they had kept it in the shed and used it to fish. This is on the western side of Lofoten and open sea all the way to Iceland.

The boat have no rig, but its posible to have a sailrig. My friend will consider it next year.
    One of the Shetland builders put an extra half room in his boats, to strengthen what he saw as a structural weakness in the conventional design.

Did he also stretch the lenght of the boat? We call theese faerings "Two and a half room faering". The extra room was not needed to strenghten the boat, but give some extra space, making the boat about two feet longer. There is also some loose bulkheads to put in, making a nice storage for fish.

I found a drawing with the names of the strakes on a faering. "Ripbordet" is what you would call the sheerstrake. Then you have the "snerting" that is the plank I need to replace aft. Then you have the "tollegang" inside of the "snerting" to make a solid hold for the thole pins. We use to call the tollegang and snerting together for "ripa" Maybe there is a distinction between sheerstrake and sheer?

snitt_4_bord.jpg

More about this, in Norwegian thou, here: http://www.arctandria.no/teknisk-bes...ordlandsbaten/

Did he also stretch the lenght of the boat? We call theese faerings "Two and a half room faering". The extra room was not needed to strenghten the boat, but give some extra space, making the boat about two feet longer. There is also some loose bulkheads to put in, making a nice storage for fish.
    It was not so much the half room that strengthened the boat, but the extra band that made the half room necessary. It was fitted in the ballast room, due to the local loading from the ballast stones. Shetland boats were ordered and described by the length of the keel timber. Peerie Maa is a 12 foot of keel whilly boat. I don't think that the additional band changed the over all length by much.
    The Shetland islanders also had light slatted bulkheads that fitted under the thwart against a band to contain the catch in the fishroom called reabands.

My åfords faering has the extra half rom where the mast step for the square sits. More room to row. Ballast can go under it but the trim is better with it further aft. Faering benefits from a bit of aft trim. I have bulkheads at all frames with a stammrung ( spell?). They are light. You need to be careful not to brace off them when rowing.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    My åfords faering has the extra half rom where the mast step for the square sits. More room to row. Ballast can go under it but the trim is better with it further aft. Faering benefits from a bit of aft trim. I have bulkheads at all frames with a stammrung ( spell?). They are light. You need to be careful not to brace off them when rowing.
    The stammron is the canted frame in bow and stern. The beam that braces the frames under the thwarts are fastibands in Shetland parlance.

You're killing me Fred. Free boats in Norway?

Not this, he paid 3000 nkr (360 usd) but yes if you pay attention you find some free projects, and if everyone knows your interest, the projects find you.😊

Sailing together with a friend in an Åfjordsboat. Top speed today 6 knt.