Thread: Universal Engines

I want to find any information on the universal twin motor, around the 1950's era. Seeking information regarding weight and horsepower.

I want to find any information on the universal twin motor, around the 1950's era. Seeking information regarding weight and horsepower.

Wisconsin--Lake Michigan, where the water tastes funny

John: Can you be a bit more specific? Is it the Bluejacket Twin you're after?

I don't know the actual engine name, only that it is a yacht auxillary universal twin, however, there is a picture of it in Skene's Elements of Yacht Design, by Francis S. Kinney, on p. 90. It is in a yacht named Tremelino, designed by Kinney. Can you provide any other information?

I don't know the actual engine name, only that it is a yacht auxillary universal twin, however, there is a picture of it in Skene's Elements of Yacht Design, by Francis S. Kinney, on p. 90. It is in a yacht named Tremelino, designed by Kinney. Can you provide any other information?

You might try John Dubickas, who runs Duby Auto & Marine, 242 Sweeney St., North Tonawanda, NY 14120. (716) 694-0922. He is very knowledgeable about Universal engines and although the Bluejacket Twin has been out of production for years, he probably remembers all about it. Also, although it may be an old address, try Universal Motors - Medalist, Box 3008, Oshkosh, WI 54903. (920) 231-4100.

You might try John Dubickas, who runs Duby Auto & Marine, 242 Sweeney St., North Tonawanda, NY 14120. (716) 694-0922. He is very knowledgeable about Universal engines and although the Bluejacket Twin has been out of production for years, he probably remembers all about it. Also, although it may be an old address, try Universal Motors - Medalist, Box 3008, Oshkosh, WI 54903. (920) 231-4100.

Back in the mid seventies, Universal picked up the Kermath line. The continued to produce the Kermath Sea Twin and it's single cylinder version, I think it was called the Sea Pup, as the Universal Twin and whatever they called the single. These fell right below the Atomic (Anemic?) Four in their product line. I had a Kermath Twin. Good engine design and manufacturing wise. Mine was beyond its useful life, however, and I wasted no end of money and time trying to make it run reliably. As far as I know, Universal parts should fit the Kermaths and vice versa. I paid pay hell to find a Kermath head gasket, but ordered the same item for a Universal and it was no problem and a lot cheaper, too! As MacArthur said, "Old marine engines never die... they just run out of parts suppliers!"

[This message has been edited by Bob Cleek (edited 12-08-2000).]

Back in the mid seventies, Universal picked up the Kermath line. The continued to produce the Kermath Sea Twin and it's single cylinder version, I think it was called the Sea Pup, as the Universal Twin and whatever they called the single. These fell right below the Atomic (Anemic?) Four in their product line. I had a Kermath Twin. Good engine design and manufacturing wise. Mine was beyond its useful life, however, and I wasted no end of money and time trying to make it run reliably. As far as I know, Universal parts should fit the Kermaths and vice versa. I paid pay hell to find a Kermath head gasket, but ordered the same item for a Universal and it was no problem and a lot cheaper, too! As MacArthur said, "Old marine engines never die... they just run out of parts suppliers!"

Default Re: Universal Engines

I was just researching this myself, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone was still looking for info on this engine.

This is from a 1936 issue of Motor Boating.

Default Re: Universal Engines

John,
    "Bright Star" had a Universal Twin Diesel in her for over forty years until it expired due to a perforated water jacket.
    It was a reliable engine. Kabota now makes a similar version of it.
    Jay