Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Peterson's Schooner "Susan" Segment #13

Default Building Peterson's Schooner "Susan" Segment #13

This thread is a continuation from "segment" #12 of building "Susan"...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-susan-quot-12

Segment #12 ran just over three pages... so it was time to start another segment.

This new segment will carry on through "Susan" being launched, etc.

Here is the information on the previous segments on this build...

So.... TO CONTINUE.... October 18th... today

Bob has accomplished quite a bit in the last several months from the electrical system to tons of detailing on the interior to applying the bottom paint.

I stopped by there today to take some photos and have posted some below.

One of the most obvious differences you would notice is that the bottom has been painted. Here she is.

Bob also had the following trailer made and he is in the process of designing a cradle to hold "Susan" for transporting her to the lake in a few months.

One of the "detail jobs"... Bob applied finish to the Ipe cabin sole and it looks great. From the beginning when Bob showed me the Ipe stock I thought "what a great choice". Ipe is so strong and so rot resistant ... and the weight is a good thing because Bob's "Susan" is lighter than the original and stronger... the additional weight of Ipe in the cabin sole will be a good thing for "everlasting" cabin sole.

Now here my 11-16 mm lens came in handy... note the new small shelves on each side of the V-berth area and the blue cushions. Bob made the cushions himself. Small trim pieces added around the small cabinet doors down low were a nice finishing touch.

I really like this very cool little wood burning stove. The installation is complete now... great job. It will be perfect to wam up the cabin in cold weather.

Bob recently installed these gimbaled oil lamps... way cool and they look great. They add a very nice touch to the interior.

Continued ...

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 10-18-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Default Re: Building Peterson's Schooner "Susan" Segment #13

Finastkind.

Continuing...

This closeup of the shelves shows more... Bob used some brass half round to make custom brackets... nice. The small additional trim is seen at the bottom around the white panel. Bob plans to add an additional flip out table to the existing table to offer a nice small table to eat on. The indirect lighting is also more appreciated now as I see the completed interior.

I wanted to show the head... with some additional features like an extra switch to pump air into the septic tank to keep down odors. Manual and electric pumps for toilet, etc. Just a reminder but all the trim is Doug fir and he slatted head door is quite appealing. The construction allows movement of the slats and the finish with semigloss poly makes for a great look.

Bob was able to find some really good used hardware and blocks...etc... and refurbishes them for "Susan". The following shows the booty he has found. The manual windlass handles are about to be painted. Lots of useful materials in addition to the original hardware Bob purchased from Bill Peterson that had been designed especially for "Susan" by his dad.

Here are some examples of blocks that bob bought on ebay and has refurbished them ... with some color on the metal...

Bobs custom electrical panel... very nice electrical system... with battery monitoring state of the art

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 10-19-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Great pictures - thanks for posting

That 11 to 16mm lens is a beauty Rod , thank you !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Just a perfect job !
    And the purposedly made trailer !!!
    I think it's been made for more than launching in the lake.
    Plans to ship her from coast to coast ?
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.schooner-anthea.com

A stunning interior, nice detailing throughout. Love that sole.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Hi Rod, graet pics as usual. Cant wait for some sailing shots ( into the sunset of course )
    Just wondering about those companionway steps, did you find them a bit steep or do they work fine?

Mighty fine indeed!! And great pic's, thanks Rod.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Rod, this has bn one of the greatest builds.

Hi all,
    Rod and i had a nice visit....have not seen each other in a while.....his new wide angle lens is awesome and really captures the interior well.
    There have been questions about the companionway steps/ladder....These are similar to those original to the design....I find them to be just fine, but do need some non skid, I'll probably add some of the black nonskid adhesive tape.....Some might find them awkward, and we'll see how they are on a moving boat....I think Rod found them a little precarious.....Should they prove to be too difficult I could change them to a more traditional ladder type that can move out of the way to go aft - we'll see.....
    I would like to point out the great bronze plaque on the forward cabin between the ports....a friend of mine from work made this for me on a CNC mill be made.....although the launch date says "2013" which obviously has come and gone....I dunno, I might put a new date over the existing or just keep it and use it to tell the story of how finishing a boat takes longer than anticipated
    The name of the boat is "Mighty Fine" and will hail out of "Lucas Texas".....She will be put on a inland lake about an hour north of me called lake Texoma...
    I do hope to get her to the ocaean a some point and do some coasting!

Awesome Bob.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

You need to tell the rest of us about this lens Rod, or is there a link to a thread on it somewhere??
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    You need to tell the rest of us about this lens Rod, or is there a link to a thread on it somewhere??
    I have had this lens for a couple years... I bought it to replace my Nikon 12-24 DX lens which had cost about $900. The Tokina I got used for around $350 and its a better lens.

Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 ATX Pro DX II Lens for Nikon APS-C (DX) Also available for Canon.

Great review... from Ken Rockwell

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

http://www.adorama.com/TN1116NK2.htm...filiate.021866

RodB

Rod: thanks for keeping us up to date on Bob's fantastic work. I can second Bob's statement that "finishing-up" takes a lot longer than you would think. My boat Janetess is far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Borel View Post
    Rod: thanks for keeping us up to date on Bob's fantastic work. I can second Bob's statement that "finishing-up" takes a lot longer than you would think. My boat Janetess is far behind.

Dr Borel... what is the state of your build... I'd thought you had launched long ago... how about a link please. That Kahuna is a sweet design.

RodB

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

very nice..... are they cast bronze chainplates..... or made of flat bar stock?
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Hi Thad,
    chainplates are cast bronze made with the original Susan patterns with the exception of the forward one for the mainmast, it is of 3/8 silicon bronze.
    This chainplate was not part of the original design as the mainmast had only one.
    While the original design has proven itself plenty adequate, I am not a fan of single point failures, so I added the second chainplate/stay.
    I also added a small topsail to the rig which will require yet another small chainplate (yet to be added).
    Overall, the rig is extremely "beefy".
    -Bob

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

Bob,
    do you know what alloy they were cast in?
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post

Bob also had the following trailer made and he is in the process of designing a cradle to hold "Susan" for transporting her to the lake in a few months.

Do you know if there is a crane/travel lift at the lake, or is this trailer meant to go down the ramp?

Thanks for posting Rob. This is one of the best builds on the forum, if not the best. Without doubt the best pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Do you know if there is a crane/travel lift at the lake, or is this trailer meant to go down the ramp?
    This is strictly for using the marine lift to set the boat in the water...

Thanks for the comments guys...

Heres a few more pics...

Here is the cradle Bob designed all ready for the standard boat stand treaded rods and pads to fit the pipe...

Susan on blocking and straps/chain hoists ready for trailer/cradle transfer from the shop...

Stern shot just about ready for trailer and cradle. . .

Bob reinforcing strapping before max lift...

Masts moved outside...

Bobs trusses will lift over 12,000 lbs each... so Susan's lift at this stage should be around 10K pounds.. displacement for Susan is around 12,000 lbs.

More to come... with Susan transferred to the cradle and trailer and moved into the yard to step the masts for rigging work...

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 11-02-2014 at 12:39 AM.

More pics... continuing...
    Bow sprit just about done...

Transom finished...

To be continued shortly.... RodB

Continuing.... Bobs cradle with pads ready to back up.

Bob lowering the gooseneck....

Susan ready to load... weight on blocking, straps balancing the hull....

Close to centered... trailer in barn...

Susan settled with front pads on hull... weight on keel...straps just snug... Carly wanted to be the center of attention... She will be two Dec 13th...

Continued.

RodB

Susan hanging by the straps only for a few min... earlier... Both trusses were capable of 12K lbs.

All done for the day....

More to come... Susan will be hauled outside and the masts set up and the rigging done ... all next...

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 11-04-2014 at 01:17 AM.

well this is rather exciting!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I don't know which I prefer, Susan or the workshop !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The dually is not that bad too
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.schooner-anthea.com

You're kidding right? You stop when she's in the cradle on the trailer and take a picture of her STILL IN THE SHOP? Nobody was curious enough to drive forward 50 feet? I guess I'll have to sit back and wait like everyone else.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

sorry for the tease!! I was very anxious to go ahead and bring her out, but the weather forecast was for 1-2" of rain starting today (holding true) and i did not want to start the process in the wet and mud....
    There's only a few inches in clearance in height (hopefully ) and I had to remove the doors and header to gain some height......
    Plan is to exit this weekend and have the man lift on hand to start the rigging process
    - things should dry out by this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by BobAlbers View Post
    sorry for the tease!! I was very anxious to go ahead and bring her out, but the weather forecast was for 1-2" of rain starting today (holding true) and i did not want to start the process in the wet and mud....
    There's only a few inches in clearance in height (hopefully ) and I had to remove the doors and header to gain some height......
    Plan is to exit this weekend and have the man lift on hand to start the rigging process
    - things should dry out by this weekend
    I'm in the midst of adding doors to my workshop/barn and will likely be moving a similar sized boat inside. What is the height of the max. clearance in the door opening?

The cradle-on-equipment trailer approach makes sense but I'm just curious how much space you'll need?

My clearance is about 11'.

Thanks

That had to be a bit nerve racking to have that beautiful vessel hanging by a couple of straps! Even for just a few minutes! Well done.
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 11-04-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Nerve racking indeed!! I have full confidence in the trusses and tripled all the straps....what made me nervous were the chain hoists......although rated at 3 tons each, these are made in china - a gear failure in one of these would have made for a really bad day.......all worked out just fine though.....(not even any creaking noises)
    As for the barn door height - it is 11 ft max.....the cradle on the trailer puts the bottom of the boat keel at 32 inches off the ground.....it will be close.....we'll see if tire deflation is required
    High point on the boat is the companionway hatch slide rails....hatch will be removed and a spotter will ride the boat out.......

Shoulda' used the soft, muddy, rainsoaked ground to let the tires sink in. And give us a view of her out of the shop.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

To Continue.... Susan ready to come out into the Sun!!

Hooked up...

Here she comes...

Bob celebrates...

She looks great... almost a profile...

Empty shop...

Continued...R