Thread: unusual piece of marine hardware

Default unusual piece of marine hardware

I use these for spinnaker sheets of my 1928 Wianno Sr.
    However, i cant seem to come up with anything online even remotely similar. The are only about 3 inches long.

There is a spring-loaded button, than when pressed, activates the spring loaded lever. when the lever is open, the button remained pushed down, but when you close it, the button springs up, locking the lever in place until the button is pressed again to release it.

Anyone ever seen this fitting or one like it before, and/or know where to get them?

I cant find anything useful on the internet, and i have searched extensively on Kungsors Yacht Yard.

This shows the fitting in the closed position:

Here is is open:

Backside when open:

Here is the button detail: It says "Jarnforadling Made in Sweden", and in the middle is an octagon with an Anchor emblem inside

And on the backside it reades "Patent Kungsors Yachtyard Sweden"

Default Re: unusual piece of marine hardware

These swedish guys are smart !
    First they did the Krisproll, then the locked spinaker hook !
    Never seen such item before.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.schooner-anthea.com

Hexagon. Nice piece. Lots of things that were common a few years ago have disappeared.

I have seen something similar in my travels, but unless you really want another to match, the modern Tylaska and Gibbs spin snap shackles are a great alternative.
    whatever rocks your boat

I'd forgotten about those. As you say, they are/were common on older Wianno Seniors. I liked them more than Brummell hooks for their ability to fasten and unfasten swiftly and not catch on shrouds, stays and turnbuckles.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Quite sure my old Blanchard Sr. Knockabout had those on the spinnaker sheets. They seem very normal to me so I was surprised to not find any evidence of them on the web.

What a natty little piece! Never seen one like that... But doesn't surprise me from kungsörs båtvarv.
    founded by Oscar Schelin.... Whom many might have heard of....
    http://www.kbvarv.se/Eng/index.html

I had seen those on a number of fiberglass Rainbows from the late 60s and early 70s. Actually I found them less than useful - they are super heavy, so useless for spinnaker sheets in light air. A stopper knot is better.

That Zim piece is not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adles View Post
    I had seen those on a number of fiberglass Rainbows from the late 60s and early 70s. Actually I found them less than useful - they are super heavy, so useless for spinnaker sheets in light air. A stopper knot is better.

That Zim piece is not it.
    And a hell of a lot less likely to do damage whipping about on the end of a flapping sail. I really never understood people who put metal fittings on headsail sheets.

Its not as if it would allow you to spike it or ping it by lanyard to blow the brace/ guy like most spinnaker shackles either. It would stay hooked.

They actually aren't as heavy as one might think. a set of Brummel hooks is about twice as heavy.

also, where they are used, i have never heard of anyone getting hit or harmed by them.

John B, that's exactly why i like them. they stay latched, and don't have anything that causes them to snag on anything while in use.

If anyone here has them, let me know. I'd like to have a few extras on hand.

I'm a sucker for quality bronze myself.

John,
    dont get me started on quality bronze "junk piles".

heres mine:

Ooooo, that hurts Striper.

I see your pile and ...

...but I have some other stuff cached somewhere else, just in case.

EDIT on my pile, i have used up a bunch of it on my 1928 Wianno Sr. other pieces i have sold. then again, i always tend to find more.

John, those Osborne racing cleats (in the lower right corner) are tough to find. although, i could never figure out a perfect use for them...

i've got some odd-ball pieces too.

and to top off every collection, I have a small container of failed bronze hardware. (they are interesting to study how/where they failed)

Thats exactly the same for me CS, I collected it and used much of it to set up Waione over the years( 1907) but loved the quality fittings made by Murray through the 50's and 60's too. So a lot of it was out of period for her but I could afford it and I liked it.

There's some redundancy in this pile but a lot was used or reused in different configurations.

Now its later stuff for Riada, the Wilkie winches are superbly made

Those primaries are 90 pounds each, hah.

Twenty years ago I bought the house where I still live today in Quebec (way inland!) from a woman who had built it in the early 70's as a country-house when she was living in Bermuda where she and her husband had a yacht. She also raised German Shepherds.
    When I moved in, I found in the garage a large wooden crate with breathing holes and a dog name painted on one side (Cara, Bermuda). I guessed she had traveled with her dog to spend some time in her country home. Next to the crate, there was what I understood to be a dog-leash made of a piece of whitish rope with an odd eight-shaped chrome hook at the end which I could not open, no matter how hard I tried. I left it hanging from a nail in the garage and over the last 20 years I must have tried 3 or 4 times to open that hook, to no avail. I had checked on Internet to see if I could find any dog-leash hooks that might look similar... I found nothing.
    Yesterday, a raccoon had unhooked one of my bird feeders from a string that held it hanging from a branch-stub away from squirrels and raccoons. I therefore went to my garage, looking for a spring-loaded hook that would lock the feeder cable loop at the end of the string instead of the S hook I had been using. That is when I saw that unusual looking hook again, hanging from a nail on the garage wall! Since I had some spare time, I decided that, this time, it would be a make-it or break-it attempt to open it!
    I took a magnifying lens and I examined it carefully : "Kungsors Yachtyard Sweden"! How did I not see these words before...? I rushed to the computer, Googled these key-words, and when I saw the third item that came out of that search, "unusual piece of marine hardware [Archive] - The WoodenBoat Forum", I had a sense that a Eureka moment was near : I quickly followed that link and... here was my hook in full display at https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3938/...814a9ccd_c.jpg !
    Since it came with a description of how to open it ("There is a spring-loaded button, that when pressed, activates the spring loaded lever. When the lever is open, the button remains pushed down, but when you close it, the button springs up, locking the lever in place until the button is pressed again to release it") I knew instantly that the problem with mine was that the spring-loaded button was completely stuck. Twenty years of idleness or more... nothing to be surprised of.
    I immediately soaked it in a bath of rust remover for a couple of minutes, then I sprayed it with penetrating oil, and click... in went the button and open went the hook with a snap! A twenty-year mystery has been solved thanks to you, CrosbyStriper, and since you also wrote "Anyone ever seen this fitting or one like it before, and/or know where to get them?" I wanted to answer your post and let you know that yes, I have seen this fitting at the end of a dog leash (which I now understand was a piece of marine rope!) for the last 20 years and, now that I know that it has not only held a dog on leash but has also joyfully sailed around Bermuda, it will not return to its nail on the garage wall. Instead, I will keep it with a few relics on a shelf, you know, that eclectic collection of objects that have stories to tell. Every now and then I will hold it in my hand and depress the button with my thumb to open the hook and hear the snap. Then I will close it again, and it will tell me countless stories, some of which will likely start with "Once upon a time, the ocean was sparking blue..."
    As for the raccoons, I will get something else at the hardware store tomorrow...
    Thank you!

UnusualPieceOfHardware.jpg

Twenty years ago I bought the house where I still live today in Quebec (way inland!) from a woman who had built it in the early 70's as a country-house when she was living in Bermuda where she and her husband had a yacht. She also raised German Shepherds.
    When I moved in, I found in the garage a large wooden crate with breathing holes and a dog name painted on one side (Cara, Bermuda). I guessed she had traveled with her dog to spend some time in her country home. Next to the crate, there was what I understood to be a dog-leash made of a piece of whitish rope with an odd eight-shaped chrome hook at the end which I could not open, no matter how hard I tried. I left it hanging from a nail in the garage and over the last 20 years I must have tried 3 or 4 times to open that hook, to no avail. I had checked on Internet to see if I could find any dog-leash hooks that might look similar... I found nothing.
    Yesterday, a raccoon had unhooked one of my bird feeders from a string that held it hanging from a branch-stub away from squirrels and raccoons. I therefore went to my garage, looking for a spring-loaded hook that would lock the feeder cable loop at the end of the string instead of the S hook I had been using. That is when I saw that unusual looking hook again, hanging from a nail on the garage wall! Since I had some spare time, I decided that, this time, it would be a make-it or break-it attempt to open it!
    I took a magnifying lens and I examined it carefully : "Kungsors Yachtyard Sweden"! How did I not see these words before...? I rushed to the computer, Googled these key-words, and when I saw the third item that came out of that search, "unusual piece of marine hardware [Archive] - The WoodenBoat Forum", I had a sense that a Eureka moment was near : I quickly followed that link and... here was my hook in full display at https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3938/...814a9ccd_c.jpg !
    Since it came with a description of how to open it ("There is a spring-loaded button, that when pressed, activates the spring loaded lever. When the lever is open, the button remains pushed down, but when you close it, the button springs up, locking the lever in place until the button is pressed again to release it") I knew instantly that the problem with mine was that the spring-loaded button was completely stuck. Twenty years of idleness or more... nothing to be surprised of.
    I immediately soaked it in a bath of rust remover for a couple of minutes, then I sprayed it with penetrating oil, and click... in went the button and open went the hook with a snap! A twenty-year mystery has been solved thanks to you, CrosbyStriper, and since you also wrote "Anyone ever seen this fitting or one like it before, and/or know where to get them?" I wanted to answer your post and let you know that yes, I have seen this fitting at the end of a dog leash (which I now understand was a piece of marine rope!) for the last 20 years and, now that I know that it has not only held a dog on leash but has also joyfully sailed around Bermuda, it will not return to its nail on the garage wall. Instead, I will keep it with a few relics on a shelf, you know, that eclectic collection of objects that have stories to tell. Every now and then I will hold it in my hand and depress the button with my thumb to open the hook and hear the snap. Then I will close it again, and it will tell me countless stories, some of which will likely start with "Once upon a time, the ocean was sparking blue..."
    As for the raccoons, I will get something else at the hardware store tomorrow...
    Thank you!

Holy Crap, Daniel L!!

Welcome to the Forum!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

great story!

Yep, I have one of those in my spares. Unfortunatly it has a broken spring and won't stay shut. I figured I would fix it some Tuesday next week and that was over fifty years ago. Still in my spares. Can't figure out how to get to the spring without damaging it. Maybe I will boil it and use an impact screw driver to coax it apart. Maybe next Tuesday.
    Jay
    PS a sheet bend weighs a whole lot less

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
    Thank you!

UnusualPieceOfHardware.jpg
    Welcome indeed & thanks for the great story. You're only 15-20km from Lake Memphramagog - and 4.5 hours to the Maine coast - so not that far inland
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    ...PS a sheet bend weighs a whole lot less
    And doesn't hurt anywhere near as much when it whacks you upside the head! DAMHIKT

No metal on foresails on my boat. OK, OK, besides the cringles & hanks!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yes , I've often resisted bronze sister/ brummel hooks for that reason.

What a cool post, and a blast from the past. I was looking at my photo last night and at least 7 items on my table have been put on the boat now. Compass, sheet cars , pad eyes ,spinnaker pole fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Welcome indeed & thanks for the great story. You're only 15-20km from Lake Memphremagog - and 4.5 hours to the Maine coast - so not that far inland
    Well, believe me, when you were born in Brittany, 4.5 hours to the Maine coast is VERY FAR inland!

Daniel L- amazing story! I'm glad you figured out how it works! I have one on my keys, and its fun to stump my non-boating friends on how to open it . They are hard to find nowadays, but nontheless, still work great when kept in working order!

Jay Greer - I put a new spring in the one i have on my keys, and know how to take these snaps apart and service them. If you want, i can repair yours, so you can return it to active service! PM me if your interested!

This guy has several for sale on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE...JY9ZH4&vxp=mtr
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain