Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-related

Default Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-related

I do use the car to tow boats and haul canoes, so does that count for boat-related?

I've not had much luck with various epoxies for gluing things to the inside of the windshield and onto the dashboard - the heat and vibration seems to always knock things off. These things include solar bluetooth speakers, iPhone dash mounts, VW flower vases, velcro mounting strips for bridge toll thingies, etc.

What do you folks recommend? PL Premium will work but leaves a beige bulge around the base, and may be a tiny bit too brittle. Possibly some sort of flexible, heat-resistant contact cement? Don't want to melt the plastic of the dash, as these things get replaced after a few years and may go into a new location, but would like them to stay put even during hot summers.
    Last edited by Thorne; 10-09-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-relat

There is " rear view mirror adhesive" which bonds plastic ( or metal) to glass pretty well. I do not know the composition, but I expect its an epoxy as its two-part.
    Buy it at auto parts store, comes in very small quantities for about about 4 bucks.

Kevim
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-relat

" rear view mirror adhesive"
    +1. I think it's more like super glue. Just keep in mind, it's permanent.

thick double sided tape for toll tag and gps mount --no problems at all

lol
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

The 2 parts are an activator (cleaner/solvent) and the adhesive which is mostly methacrylate (also used to glue in medical implants). Not epoxy.

Alan
    https://sites.google.com/site/helium12sofsailboat/

Thanks! And yes, Gerard, 5200 would really get me in trouble with the wife. Surprised no traditionalist has insisted on tarred hemp marline, pine tar and mousing...

I have been cleaning all surfaces with MEK prior to gluing -- that stuff really stinks but Steve Smith and others recommend it for leaving no film or contaminants.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Ask your autoparts store. This is a common primer for plastic . I believe auto plastic is ABS
    http://www.wurth.co.uk/data/productdocuments/050236.pdf

Clear silicone.

Thanks again, folks! Didn't realize that silicone had some very high-temp formulas, so I might give it a try.

http://www.masterbond.com/techtips/w...icone-adhesive

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Thanks again, folks! Didn't realize that silicone had some very high-temp formulas, so I might give it a try.

http://www.masterbond.com/techtips/w...icone-adhesive
    Just normal clear silicone is amazing. If you have a suction cup mount, smear a little on the cups and stick to the window. I mount undercover police lights to windows all of the time and some have been in use for years. When it's time to remove, it scrapes off clean with a plastic razor or an eraser wheel like the ones used for pin stripe removal. For a stronger mount we use windshield urethane but I wouldn't recommend that or 5200 unless I hated you.

I would use the double sided moulding attachment tape. Not carpet tape , the auto body business uses 3-M tape and with good results. Wipe surfaces with alcohol first. Same stuff that holds the vent visors on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
    I would use the double sided moulding attachment tape. Not carpet tape , the auto body business uses 3-M tape and with good results. Wipe surfaces with alcohol first. Same stuff that holds the vent visors on.
    3M tape is awesome, but it's also expensive (at least in the size of rolls I get). 3M also makes an adhesive cleaner that works well for prep. An eraser wheel works for the tape removal also.

For dash mounting stuff, I really like the 2" wide adhesive backed industrial velcro but I was offering a cheap solution rather than the pricey stuff I use at work.

I'd go for silicone. If things are supposed to be unmounted after a year or five, You should be able to clean the dashboard (it's plastic, right?) from remains with a fingernail.

Silicone it is -- off I go to the local independent Ace Hardware, a place old enough to still have stock of caulking in the bins.

A followup - the clear silicone worked for awhile, and the white silicone was a bit worse. I'll try it with another iPhone mount on another car, carefully cleaning the surfaces with solvent first, but keep wondering if I'll have to try something else. Probably the tape / 3M adhesive disks will be next...

A followup - the clear silicone worked for awhile, and the white silicone was a bit worse. I'll try it with another iPhone mount on another car, carefully cleaning the surfaces with solvent first, but keep wondering if I'll have to try something else. Probably the tape / 3M adhesive disks will be next...
    Try the rear view mirror adhesive. I've put back 2 rear view mirror mounts with it, one I'm still driving 10 years later. Cheap, easy, made for the exact task at hand. Why would you use anything else?

Cheers,

Bobby

Why not use the same stuff that the window is stuck to the car chassis. Ie 3M VHB tape? Works well holding the windows on our Skoota powercat for 3 years (no other fastenings). Mind you the - recommended by 3M - 4000UV sealer was not a success when used round the edge, as it degraded in UV after 3 summers (but only on the south side of the boat)

RW

I'm not sure that the rear-view mirror glue will work, as that is almost a superglue sort of faying surface between hard plastic/metal of the mirror base and the glass windshield. This application is fairly hard plastic phone mount base to the textured flexible surface of the dashboard, and quite a lot of vibration and pulling when the phone angle is adjusted.

I'll try the 3M VHB tape, so I've taken a $13 gamble on Mr. Wood's experience. I'm pretty confident that it will work well in the location and type of gluing surfaces -- but we shall see...
    Last edited by Thorne; 09-01-2015 at 11:51 PM.

If that doesn't work.... copper nails
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Silicone has my vote.

There's a couple of cars round here which have everything you can think of stuck on 'em. One even has a snowshoe and a denture which I gave himThey drive around and on the freeway, nothing blows off.
    Silicone is what they use.
    basil

I would through-bolt it. A counter sunk screw from the outside of the window into the back of the device, at the minimum. A touch of tarred felt should work fine as a gasket.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Here in Maryland an EZ Pass transponder is attached with velcro strips that are attached to the glass with some clear gooey stuff. It sticks well, and I only have to mess with it when I buy a new truck or a new windshield. I moved a transponder for one of the Boys a few years ago, putting it behind the mirror to avoid any blockage of the sight line. The glue was still sticky after four years on the glass, and had to be removed with a blade. The strips, btw, could not be re-stuck.
    The glue does not harden, and seems to be both adhesive and cohesive. Similar in smell and appearance to silicone glue.
    That's all I know.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I haven't found a glue that works! Technically, glass is not a solid. It moves!

True, glass is a liquid.
    A window will flow about a millionth of an inch per year.
    basil

One of my pet peeves is that dashboards aren't built with a sheet of metal under the vinyl so I can screw in things like fans etc.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    True, glass is a liquid.
    I suspect it's movement is temp. dependent. I've touch a window in the summer and it's pretty hot. Hence expanding more! Conversely, cold makes it contract. How much heat or cold does it take to break a seal? Ever look at old window panes?

Of course, glass can be changed by contact with other substances. Stress and abrasion can affect it, and lime glass (from which glass windows and containers are typically made) can be attacked by water. “If tiny flaws or weak points in the glass are exposed to water,” Cima says, over time the water attacks the tips of the cracks and dramatically decreases the strength of the glass.” Caustic chemical solutions and extremes of temperature can also degrade glass, though some types of glass are highly resistant to these factors, too – silicate glass, from which pyrex is made can be taken from very hot to very cold rapidly, and it doesn’t crack.
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 09-02-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Pyrex is no longer made the way it was in the good old days.

Not that it has anything to do with stickum for Thorne

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    Pyrex is no longer made the way it was in the good old days.

Not that it has anything to do with stickum for Thorne
    Not many products are! Then again, some have been improved!i

I'm not sure that the rear-view mirror glue will work, as that is almost a superglue sort of faying surface between hard plastic/metal of the mirror base and the glass windshield. This application is fairly hard plastic phone mount base to the textured flexible surface of the dashboard, and quite a lot of vibration and pulling when the phone angle is adjusted.

I'll try the 3M VHB tape, so I've taken a $13 gamble on Mr. Wood's experience. I'm pretty confident that it will work well in the location and type of gluing surfaces -- but we shall see...
    VHB tape is amazing stuff. If you have a good clean surface and no corners to initiate "peel", the foam inner layer deals with most shocks.

Be aware that VHB tape is a family of 3M tape products. There is a version that is "conformable" and "high temperature" - both of which are desirable in the automotive application. IIRC, it's 3M product #4646.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

The rear view mirror adhesive is very good for hard smooth surfaces on glass. The dashboard is full of plasticiser and the VHB foam tapes are the best bet there. I generally shy away from any use of silicone on a boat because it is...manure, for lack of any term that won't get me banned, for most applications, except glass. Cars get too hot for most epoxies. Epoxy sticks well to fiberglass only when the fiber glass is coated with a silane primer such a Volan. I would look for an epoxy that does not say that it is not dishwasher safe, like Loctite Marine. Paul Oman's kevlar filled putty is also good for hot wet conditions.

Not all silicone is created equal. The one part, primerless, moisture cure systems are the only ones really available or practical here. Most of them will stick to glass, but not so well to plastic. Plastics are a can of worms. I ran across a YouTube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mReJB4qc9QU that shows a fairly crude adhesion test on acrylic. The red GE stuff for plastic sheets did work in my shower where the others failed in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    True, glass is a liquid.
    No, actually the reason that ancient windows are tapered is that they were made of bullseye glass, which starts as a tapered disk. A skilled glazier would orient all of the pieces the same way. The individual pieces are optical wedges that displace the image when you look through them. Randomly oriented pieces would break up the view through the window. By orienting all of the pieces the same way, the view through the window is all displaced the same way, so it is less noticeable. There are some windows with the thick edges at the top.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 09-02-2015 at 09:47 PM.

I heard it from an interview with the guy that disscovered, ( by accident ) Silly Putty.

Footnote. Over 20,000 Silly Puuttys are sold everyday. Just in case your asked on Jeopardy.
    basil

Is the VHB stuff stronger than this stuff? http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-...SIN=B009NP1JQC

A 1" square of that lasts about a year with my cellphone mount, which has very little surface, and longer with my music player mount, which is homemade from stainless.

If mounting to glass - I 5th (or so) rearview mirror adhesive. If to a textured dash, (as suggested) either screws or the velcroish material they use for EZPass boxes. Amazing stuff.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I'm trying the VHB, and it certainly has the reputation as the strongest double-sided tape - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1407522

Interesting to see that some of these UHB / VHB tapes may take up to 24 hours to "dwell" or fully bond / cure. http://www.findtape.com/category46/u...s-VHB-UHB.aspx