Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-related

Default Re: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-relat

And even longer... Some of the acrylic adhesives can take a week to reach full strength.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Default Re: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-relat

I had to remount glass pulls to the sliding glass side window on the boat after the glue failed. Nothing else I tried worked: silicone, super glue, Devco, etc. The local autoglass shop gave me a strip of the double sided tape they use and it's worked fine after numerous pulls and pushes.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

The tape dwell time is important, but it isn't like there is no strength until 24 hours. It builds faster at first, then the change slows.

Almost all 2 part room temp cure adhesives take a week to reach full strength. The time to reach safe handling strength is a lot shorter.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 09-12-2015 at 11:49 PM.

I wanted to revisit this thread and report that I ended up using PL Premium to glue the phone mount to the dash, as the 3M VHB tape kept failing in the heat. Even when I cleaned the dash with MEK and let the bond cure for 12+ hours, it would gradually soften and fall off on sunny days. YMMV of course.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

C'mon... you KNOW you want to use Gorilla Glue. Don't be shy. But don'd admit it in public, eh?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Copper nails and roves, peened over.

I reccomend the 3M VHB tape as well. I bought a box containing several rolls off of EBay years ago. Found many uses for it.
    I used it to add the guage pod to the dash on my turbod 87 325is. Stayed put despite the Georgia sun.

2FDC8D3B-0C8C-497C-8F0A-182D9878FC24.jpg
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    thick double sided tape for toll tag and gps mount --no problems at all
    +1! Just trying to get my toll-pass (E-Z PASS) unit off the window when I sold a car was most of two fingernails for me, and that car sat in direct sun for several years before i got stupid and tried to peel off the two strips. I actually wound up leaving one of them on the windshield. (I like my fingers!)

5200 would "get you in trouble with your wife"? Why? Might work too well? One thought would be double-sided foam tape, such as used to stick trim on auto bodies.

A followup - the 3M VHB tape just couldn't handle the heat, no matter how carefully I applied it and pre-cleaned surfaces with MEK. I also had to glue the thin metal plate onto my phone case with PL Premium, as THAT epoxy-based tape-like adhesive also failed -- at the worst time possible when I was driving through active wildfires in the mountains. As always, YMMV...
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The problem may be the plasticizes in the dashboard plastic. Two more suggestions:

A vinyl adhesive https://www.nrs.com/category/3202/ra...latable-repair

Plasticizer resistant VHB tape 3M product info "On flexible vinyls use only plasticizer resistant 4941, 4945 or 4991."

Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Thanks for the info, Dave. But that doesn't explain the failure of the 3M adhesive between the metal plate for the Scosche mount and the leather iPhone case. There may be some decent, actually-heat-resistant epoxy-based roll adhesives out there, but I've given up, as they always seem to fail at a time when needed most (like long road trips).

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I wanted to revisit this thread and report that I ended up using PL Premium to glue the phone mount to the dash, as the 3M VHB tape kept failing in the heat. Even when I cleaned the dash with MEK and let the bond cure for 12+ hours, it would gradually soften and fall off on sunny days. YMMV of course.
    I'd phone 3M or your produce manufacturer as it's in their best interest to make it work.
    And you are certainly not alone.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Thanks for the info, Dave. But that doesn't explain the failure of the 3M adhesive between the metal plate for the Scosche mount and the leather iPhone case. There may be some decent, actually-heat-resistant epoxy-based roll adhesives out there, but I've given up, as they always seem to fail at a time when needed most (like long road trips).
    It might be something in the leather. I have it on suspect authority (shoe repairman) that a lot of the leather you get these days is leather powder with a 'rubber' binder. I'm sticking with my 2 worth (advice is cheap). The tape should take the heat, but perhaps it's a combination of heat and high humidity, which is very hard on a lot of plastics. (I don't know, but who lets that stop them?)

Edit, what the heck, E6000, similar to Goop Temp range -40 to 180F (40 to 82 C) may be marginal. E6000 tds-e6000.pdf
    Last edited by MN Dave; 09-17-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch