Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-related

Default Re: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-relat

And even longer... Some of the acrylic adhesives can take a week to reach full strength.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Default Re: Best glue for attaching plastic to car windshield and dash? Marginally boat-relat

I had to remount glass pulls to the sliding glass side window on the boat after the glue failed. Nothing else I tried worked: silicone, super glue, Devco, etc. The local autoglass shop gave me a strip of the double sided tape they use and it's worked fine after numerous pulls and pushes.
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

The tape dwell time is important, but it isn't like there is no strength until 24 hours. It builds faster at first, then the change slows.

Almost all 2 part room temp cure adhesives take a week to reach full strength. The time to reach safe handling strength is a lot shorter.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 09-12-2015 at 11:49 PM.

I wanted to revisit this thread and report that I ended up using PL Premium to glue the phone mount to the dash, as the 3M VHB tape kept failing in the heat. Even when I cleaned the dash with MEK and let the bond cure for 12+ hours, it would gradually soften and fall off on sunny days. YMMV of course.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

C'mon... you KNOW you want to use Gorilla Glue. Don't be shy. But don'd admit it in public, eh?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Copper nails and roves, peened over.

I reccomend the 3M VHB tape as well. I bought a box containing several rolls off of EBay years ago. Found many uses for it.
    I used it to add the guage pod to the dash on my turbo’d ‘87 325is. Stayed put despite the Georgia sun.

2FDC8D3B-0C8C-497C-8F0A-182D9878FC24.jpg
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    thick double sided tape for toll tag and gps mount --no problems at all
    +1! Just trying to get my toll-pass (E-Z PASS) unit off the window when I sold a car was most of two fingernails for me, and that car sat in direct sun for several years before i got stupid and tried to peel off the two strips. I actually wound up leaving one of them on the windshield. (I like my fingers!)

5200 would "get you in trouble with your wife"? Why? Might work too well? One thought would be double-sided foam tape, such as used to stick trim on auto bodies.