Thread: jiffy 22

Default jiffy 22

hello folks, has anyone here built a jiffy 22? I have ordered the study plans and figured I'd see if there was more info here from an experienced builder.
    thanks, bradlee

Default Re: jiffy 22

Sorry, haven't built one. But I do have a client who's talking about having me build one for them. So I've been looking at the design. I've always liked Arch Davis' work, and the Jiffy22 is no exception. Looks like an easy build, but whether it's the best boat for you depends upon a whole lot of factors. Have you created a Design Brief describing your needs, wants, and anticipated uses? If not, you should. If so, and you want to share it here - there are a lot of experienced folks who can comment on the suitability... and, very likely, the building process. I'm thinking my client will choose something that requires less power.

http://archdavisdesigns.com/davis_jiffy22.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

A couple of years ago my friend and I built an Ocean Pointer. It was fun to build and very rewarding. I've asked the designer about stretching the pointer and having a trunk cabin and hard top but I haven't heard anything back. So in the mean time my research has found the jiffy 22 and it seems to fit the bill.
    Any thoughts on stretching the 19'6" ocean pointer to around 22'6"??
    I assume the beam would widen a bit to....

Get his study plan first and give it more attention than I did in determining the difficulty of constructing the "girder system" alone. 3/8" plywood will not conform to the forward hull as laid out on his Mylar patterns which evidence a 3/3" droop in the base line. Getting out stations by flipping pattern drawings lined up on the center line lets some discrepancies to creep, i.e. port does not exactly match sarbord. At the transom I used tape and ruler to assure symmetry. My suggestion to anyone looking to build a v-22 is, find another hull. Unfortunately I recently came up with a similar type plywood hull by B&B design. Sheathing a properly designed plywood hull should not require the services of steaming, hot water soaking or a herd of elephants to try to make conform and even with that fail because before conformity occurs the plywood starts to fail. My partner in building this boat is a very experienced boat builder. Together we have been unable to sheet plank to bottom and are now trying to attempt to more or less cold mold that forward portion of the hull creating all our problems.

We just finished a V22. Did not encounter the problems Seagull has--very disappointing that he's run into these difficulties. Be very careful in laying out the patterns, measure carefully and you will go a long way in avoiding problems. I cannot emphasize enough the need to ensure everything is level and square, and properly measured, from the time you build the big jig and on through the process. Don't rush. We made very few changes in the plans...did use extensive mahogany on the wheelhouse, cockpit etc. Boat currently at local dealer getting motor and electrical installed. You should feel free to call or email Arch with questions...we found him to be a sound counselor the several times we contacted him.

Congratulations on mission accomplished. We found the forward stations reveal a roundness that I believe were the cause of our difficulties. Rather than flatten them out which might have worked we decided to go the cold mold technique to affix the 3/8" layer. However when attempting to cross laminate at about 45 degrees the second 1/4" layer we discovered that even that thinner layer would simply not work. Thus we more or less long pieced in approximate 8" wide pieces the forward portion of the hull. I again emphasize both of us building this hull are experienced boat builders. I strongly suggest anyone desiring to venture into the world of this JIffy really study the method of construction before proceeding to commit to buying lumber. I believe a close study, which I stupidly did not do, will reveal a number of difficult building procedures. The lack of lofting info and total reliance on Mylar full size patterns precludes ability to establish beveles at stations keel, stem, chine, etc. Also a not so easy spray rail application rather than standard overlapping bottom to side sheathing should be considered. Although the girder system is, granted a very strong method of construction, it too can present considerable challenges considering that the forward sections of the girders required laminating (less effort than steam bending) because 1 3/4" X 3/4" oak will not bend as drawn . One other thought, consider laminating the stem as gluing 4 pieces of 3/4" oak per plans IMO does not make for strong impact construction. Again congratulations on your success and, would love to see pics if possible during construction.

Wondering where you got the gas tank that would fit into the designed space. Also did you lead filler hose and vent under cockpit floor thru the girders up along a side of the hull? Have you pics of boat under construction? Has the motor been installed and have you gotten her out on the water? Again congratulations on your accomplishment.

I made a bad mistake with the gas tank; bought one that, after the cross pieces were installed, the Suzuki dealer told me was inappropriate. I did want to pull it out, so it is now sealed under the deck, and the gas tank we will use, which is only 22 gallons, is under the bench that spans the boat aft. Not sure where you live; I am in Maine and Hamilton Marine has several coastal locations that provide almost everything we needed to do the job. The boat is now at the dealer's for installation of electrical, electronics, engine etc. All that's left is that work (almost complete) and completion of the hatchway and some varnishing in the cabin. We went with a good bit of mahogany brightwork rather than the plywood in many places. I have a disk sent to me by a man in Florida who did a nice job with the boat--if you like I can duplicate it and send it along. Also will check to see if I have a thumb-drive that my neighbor gave me after he took some early photos...may have misplaced it. If I can find it I will duplicate it as well. You can reply to me at john@newburyneck.com with your mailing address and i will get you what I have before Christmas.

You should look at the Glen-L 22 foot Eagle. It is close to a stretched Ocean Pointer. In my case I stretched the Eagle to 24 feet, and added a full pilot house and some internal ballast (for comfort). I run the boat as a pocket displacement speed cruiser. Nine years later, all goes very well, including the 50 h.p. High Thrust Yamaha. It is a fine sea boat, and round here it needs to be.

Tony.

A friend and I finished a Jiffy V22 in late 2015. Health and relocation issues mandate that we sell it. Suzuki 115 with <20 hours; mahogany brightwork, chartplotter, Todd helm seats, Loadrite trailer. Any suggestions on how we should price the boat? I intend to run an ad in two issues of Wooden Boat. Can find only two ads for such a craft--both years old and neither particularly pertinent.