Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 444535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,856 to 1,890 of 2079

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Default Romana de Scamp

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Let us know when those other times to say Hello to Romana are Bruce, watching with Interest from down the Road 😊 I like the look of that Secret Weapon too.

How far down the road?

Do you know what the Secret Weapon is? Have you figured out the secret? I looked for ages before I found something that had been developed by someone with real intelligence and insight. Two someones actually. And the result has a perfect name for the job, a mysterious four letter acronym plus a punny combination of a bird with one of the designers' names. Falken. As in "Falken gettin' outa here"

The #1 is the chute of last resort; a 1sqm two-string pop-and-go escape module. If it works there may be a #2 of larger size for putting a goal within practical reach.

I can say no more at this stage. I'm susceptible to cynical skepticism, which could sour the joy of development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Romana de Scamp

Always good to fly a kite, but yes, watch out for those who seek to shoot it down.

The secret weapon is a kite?

Rick

Well there are two kites, possibly.

The primary kite, which I intend using the NPWC Falken design for, is a tool of last resort to be used to take the vessel downwind, in the case where doing that would be a good thing, and where conditions make it impractical to try to fly a balance lug sail. It's a sparless 'tractor' kite with two or four control lines. My application of it would use two lines, each one attached to the boat via blocks attached to the foremost side deck cleats. The control lines to run aft from those blocks to the aftmost side deck cleats. A small track angle either side of a dead run would be achievable without undue roll. The size of the chute is 1 sqm.

A second, slightly larger version, planned in the size range 1.5 to 2.0 sqm might be tried, depending on the results of testing of the smaller chute. The larger version is intended to be used for running and reaching in mostly light winds where harnessing winds slightly aloft of MSL would give a more steady and slightly stronger force. This is intended to allow better passage making in suitable conditions than would be achieved using a balance lug at sea level, in the stated conditions. The design of the larger version is, at this stage, likely to be a higher aspect ratio sparless pulling kite, like a sports kite or buggy kite or similar. Again as with the small chute, a two/four control line kite set to use two lines attached to deck cleats.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Dang. I wasn't going to let the secret out yet.

Paperback E-book

Oh, I just meant it's good to float an idea, put it out there, but sympathised with your concern about the naysayers. Really. That was all.

That's let the kite out of the bag then!

Should be a lot of fun working it all out and trying it!

Rick

Should be able to get some good ideas from those kite surfers at North Haven beach. Looking forward to seeing Romana get some air off the back of a wave!

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Dang. I wasn't going to let the secret out yet.

Sorry Bruce, my guess as to what the Secret Weapon was, was wrong, a Kite, that's an Awesome idea. If I ever finish my Canoe i might have to come borrow it
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Sorry Bruce, my guess as to what the Secret Weapon was, was wrong, a Kite, that's an Awesome idea. If I ever finish my Canoe i might have to come borrow it

No wurries.

Paperback E-book

Up through the atmosphere .....

Rick

The rudder is on. It needs at least two more top paint coats, however it will be floating as-is for sea trials, and more paint will be listed as a task required for acceptance sign-off.

Paperback E-book

Very nice work Bruce. No chance of a Karman Vortex off that one

Looks good from here.

And from here too! Terrific, Bruce!

Ms T has always wanted a Karman Ghia so I wonder if a Karman Vortex will do?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Very nice work Bruce. No chance of a Karman Vortex off that one
    Is that caused by (among other things) a sharp trailing edge? Somewhere along the way I've forgotten the rule of leaving a square edged trailing edge to avoid harmonic vortices, and in fact I may have to doctor it! I guess that at the speeds through the water that the Scamp is supposed to achieve, that issue shouldn't arise anyway, But I'm pretty sure the plans and/or building guide are clear, but my memory was not when I took to the blade. I know that I set up the curves to allow for a thin square edge, but somehow in my enthusiasm I made a bluntish rounded trailing edge. I'll let you know what happens when I crack on at hull speed
    Paperback E-book

Speaking of hull speed, here's progress on SW#1

Paperback E-book

Default Romana de Scamp

Bruce, if the SW#1 emergency chute is for strong winds in poor conditions, do you really think you'll be up to manhandling four kite lines in that? (I hear you ask)

The two pitch lines that control altitude are to be pre-set prior to launching. They are to be attached to the two roll/yaw lines, leaving two lines only to deal with. The two remaining lines, the steering lines, are to attach to the fwd position side deck cleats, essentially at a fixed length, other than initial trimming after launch. To steer the kite, you steer the boat. Helm to starboard shortens the starboard kite line relative to the port line, steering the kite to starboard. The tiller position is to be managed by lashing with elastic bands.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Speaking of hull speed, here's progress on SW#1

That looks like a bucket with a scrap of old sail draped over it.

Precision ironing in the Moffatt household or perhaps Bruce was told to iron out any uke strumming issues with a metronome?

As for the bucket and sail though, surely it's a stop and go thing? If the sail/kite works well, then my recommendation would be to beef up the handle on the bucket.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 06-16-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Bruce, what is the chart thingy under the bucket with the scrap of old sail draped over it? I'm guessing it's not a multi-size bra cup sewing pattern, but that was the only idea I came up with.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Bruce, what is the chart thingy under the bucket with the scrap of old sail draped over it? I'm guessing it's not a multi-size bra cup sewing pattern, but that was the only idea I came up with.

Pete

It's a sewing thing. You wouldn't understand.

Ok, it's a cutting out board. Not to be confused with a cutting board. A fold-upable cardboard board with grids in cm. It makes it easier to straighten out and mark out material for pattern pieces and provides a surface to protect the antique table top.

The scrap of old sail didn't fly very well at the beach today. I think I'll have to read the instruction page that explains how to make the strings the right lengths, and stuff like that. It did fly, briefly, which was briefly encouraging. Also I'm wondering what sort of sailcloth it is. The weave is very tight and sealed. I couldn't push a needle through it by hand to sew on loops of webbing to attach the lines to the kite. Three needles were sacrificed in the attempt.

Paperback E-book

Kitesurfers learn with trainer kites. They're small so you don't get dragged along the beach. They're easy to use and they're cheap. It might be worth starting with one of those.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Kitesurfers learn with trainer kites. They're small so you don't get dragged along the beach. They're easy to use and they're cheap. It might be worth starting with one of those.

Rick

My kite is smaller than a kite surfer trainer kite. Learning to fly one of those things would be a fun diversion but would cost time and money and would not get me closer to setting up and trimming my kite.

Paperback E-book

Have you seen this site Bruce? http://www.kiteplans.org
    More secret weapon plans than you can throw a stick at, in all sorts of configurations.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Have you seen this site Bruce? http://www.kiteplans.org
    More secret weapon plans than you can throw a stick at, in all sorts of configurations.

Pete
    Indeed. If you look at the NPW (Nasa Para Wing) kites you'll see others designed along similar paramaters to the NPWC Falken that is the design I chose for SW#1. The Falken is simple, stout, easy to launch and retrieve, controllable in flight, stowable, and has excellent traction. In my view it is better overall than the other contenders around that I've seen. Of course, I may be wrong, and that's why I'm testing a scrap sailcoth kite made to that design. If you see a specific design of a traction kite that seems to tick the boxes, feel free to put it up for consideration.
    Paperback E-book

Trying to work out when youd use this thing, and whether the ratio of faffing around and storage space to usefulness bears fruit. But thats just me shooting down your kite. Seems like a fun thing to play around with. The bucket though looks dodgy, better go for a herreshoff cedar model.

Oh, I have a sewing machine which used to be used commercially for sewing boots, if you need something to punch through tough old sailcloth and webbing. I daresay there'd be a fair bit of faffing about to get it going though.

And good luck tomorrow-the weather is looking OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Trying to work out when youd use this thing, and whether the ratio of faffing around and storage space to usefulness bears fruit. But thats just me shooting down your kite. Seems like a fun thing to play around with. The bucket though looks dodgy, better go for a herreshoff cedar model.
    Definitely faffing around to usefulness ratio is not ideal at the moment, but it could be worth it, depending on whether the idea gets off the ground or not. Space not so much of a drama. The folded kite made of armour plated storm resistant cloth, which has no spars, is about the size of a half a ream of A4 paper. It's small enough that a ripstop nylon version with 1mm dyneema lines could stow in an A4 ziplock bag and you'd probably lose it when you put it down in a safe place. Or you might not, but I definitely would.

Ah yes, a bucket. I must put a bucket in the boat. Thanks for reminding me.

Tomorrow looks sort of ideal, given that the sails have only been hoisted in the driveway so far. Zero to maybe 5 knots variable wind, SW swell 0 to 0.5 metres, no rain forecast.
    Paperback E-book

Yeah, bummed out that I cant be there. got to work sometimes.

Good luck on your splash. Very jealous.

Kenny
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

We're waiting to see her sail! Go for it!

It's going to be cold when we splash. I hope someone has steady hands to take some clear photos. Soon see. The rig is on top of the car waiting for the sun to come up, and the boat is under her rain cover. Fingers crossed we don't find too many oopses in the morning

Paperback E-book

Hope it all went well Bruce.
    I should be at work, but have a couple of tradies here installing fibre. Supposedly our internet will get way better. I didn't have too many issues with ADSL, but this is the way of the future .

Pete

Romana was launched this morning in 0-2 knots of variable wind. The carbon mast went up effortlessly in the shallows. The rig went up, then down, then up, then down, and after I gave up trying to figure out what the hell I'd done with the lazy jacks, up. A speech was made offering some ginger pop to the gods that be and the gods that don't be, to grant the vessel Romana their favour for fair winds and a safe homeward passage.

Sailing was done. Without even a ripple on the water Romana ghosted along parallel to the shore both ways, then a coffee and chat at home was had. The trailer works, and Romana loves the sea.

It's good to be happy. Many photos later.

Paperback E-book