Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3948495059 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,715 of 2125

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Default Re: Romana de Scamp

You know where my circular saw is though. It has a new blade too. The light one looks like Oregon to me.

Me too.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I suppose I could just admit that I have no idea what I am doing now, but I think that will soon become self evident.

All of my endeavours to date to bend structural timbers have come to grief. I think this one is pretty close. I have some joiners Oregon for the reinforcing pieces above and below the cuddly edge. I have made a crude bending jig. I'm now considering my options for steaming the wood and lashing it to the jig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would have used cramps.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Me too.

Me three, but you'll know for certain the moment it is worked and the smell is released afresh.

Today's job was to prep the coaming caps for a first coat of epoxy and glass tape reinforcing. Not much to see but I need to post a picture so I feel like I've achieved something for all the time spent sanding, trimming, filling, fairing and swearing.

PhilY came past with a gift of stainless tubes on his way to give Balia a new head. He pointed out that it looks nice that the shape of the coaming cap matches the top coaming strake, and that it will be visually very pleasing when the clear finishes are on both. In my over modest way I pretended that it was just an accident of fate, but we all know the truth.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Still no loud noises.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That would be because we're waiting, bated breath 'n all, for you to tell us what method was used.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That would be because we're waiting, bated breath 'n all, for you to tell us what method was used.

Rick
    Hold no more those sucked in breaths. All I'm doing is showering the Oregon with boiling water every now and then, making the surfaces bubble air out and suck water in, and then turning the screws. Wood butchery at Wizzard level. The screws are all down tight and the Oregon has complied with the curve of the cuddly top. I'll continue to ease the stresses a bit with boiling showers, then put it aside to dry in the curved form. The aim now is to ease enough latent stress out of the two pieces so that they don't tear the cuddly to shreds when they are screwed down together through the aft edge of the cuddly top.
    Paperback E-book

About what I think I'll do with JIM's proposed cuddy.
    Grateful Dead

First section drying out on the boat ready for a trim and dry fit. The second section, the underside, now goes onto the bending jig.

Providing the timber doesn't try too hard to straighten out as it dries it should be good to go. Not much force at all was needed to put it onto the cuddly top.

Paperback E-book

Good.

Rick

Thinking forward to sailing Romana now. I'd better get cracking on the secret weapon downwind emergency sail and the reaching light airs version. At this rate I may find myself fully retired in two months, sharing winter days between working on two boats and house jobs just like Rick, and making firmer plans for heading towards Tassie in the Summer.

Paperback E-book

Anh retirement, you'll miss you bus duties I think. Better plan carefully so you don't fall into a deep midwinter funk.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Anh retirement, you'll miss you bus duties I think. Better plan carefully so you don't fall into a deep midwinter funk.

Yes you're right. I'm intending to keep going with it. At the same time though there are significant stresses that come with it. The people we help make it so worthwhile, but some of the other volunteers are doing their best to make it a toxic place to work. I cope very poorly with that cr@p. We'll see soon enough.

Paperback E-book

You know what they say about that funk: Get down and boooogie!

Rick

An epoxy coat to seal the coaming caps prior to a glass tape structural bit.

Paperback E-book

You know what they say about that funk: Get down and boooogie!

Rick

I'm making funk and boogie while it lasts. I recently had a change to medication to halve the dose of a brain tamer drug I'm prescribed. The transformation has been remarkable. The drug seems to be controlling the problem now without suppressing my motivation. It's scary to think how I've burned away 20 years of potential with runaway anxiety and depression. If I'd always been like I am at this time I could have done so much. Fingers crossed it stays like this.

Paperback E-book

No one who spends winter sailing an old boat solo from Qld to SA actually has an anxiety problem!!

I reckon you're doing alright.

Rick

No one who spends winter sailing an old boat solo from Qld to SA actually has an anxiety problem!!

I reckon you're doing alright.

Rick

Thanks I can confirm that during that trip the only anxiety I felt was healthy and borne of a realistic assessment of the situation at the time.

Paperback E-book

Well there's your solution then! It would probably be a fools errand to try to work out what it is that creates the anxiety ashore, which is not present at sea. So best just go sailing. And no use worrying about what could have been, the past is what it is, the future is whatever we make of it. You're welcome.

Well there's your solution then! It would probably be a fools errand to try to work out what it is that creates the anxiety ashore, which is not present at sea. So best just go sailing. And no use worrying about what could have been, the past is what it is, the future is whatever we make of it. You're welcome.

If I get my plans to come to fruition I hope to spend a good bit of time at sea. Some of it alone. What stresses me most is the destructive habits of a small number of people. We don't live long enough to afford to give them our time, nor give up our happiness to feed their egos. Other people I know aren't affected as I am. I also recognise that my criticism is often a reflection of my own behaviour. So solo sailing when I can, or sailing with others in selected groups, is a great avoidance tactic that stands in when my defective filtering fails.

Paperback E-book

If I get my plans to come to fruition I hope to spend a good bit of time at sea. Some of it alone. What stresses me most is the destructive habits of a small number of people. We don't live long enough to afford to give them our time, nor give up our happiness to feed their egos. Other people I know aren't affected as I am. I also recognise that my criticism is often a reflection of my own behaviour. So solo sailing when I can, or sailing with others in selected groups, is a great avoidance tactic that stands in when my defective filtering fails.

Beautifully said Bruce. I share these same sentiments...

Back to Romana.

This job has been one of the big head botherers. The curved aft edge of the cuddly now has an upper and a lower reinforcing slat of Oregon (Douglas Fir) glued to the overhanging edge. The slats are around 12 mm thick each, a shade less. The cuddly is around 7mm thick including a fibreglass layer either side. The slats are around 32mm wide. This curved beam of composite Oregon structural layers on a wrc core will be fibreglassed, making a curved beam around 34mm x 34mm and if it doesn't all explode under internal stresses it should be strong enough and stiff enough for its job.

Paperback E-book

I think 7 large people could happily dance a jig on that. Hell fer stout.

I think 7 large people could happily dance a jig on that. Hell fer stout.
    I'm thinking a tall wall of water, and I'm thinking, at least the boat didn't break.
    Paperback E-book

Nothing exploded overnight and the glue has set. Progress on this part makes me happy.

Paperback E-book

Well justified happiness !
    Grateful Dead

I'm working towards getting Romana wet next week. Still lots to do but there's nothing apart from a bit of glass tape and a handful of fastenings between now and a row around West Lakes.

Paperback E-book

I'm working towards getting Romana wet next week.

Can't you're still dreaming about that 'female time lord'.

Rowlocks?

Rick

I've seen them. 2 minutes with an electric drill and he's ready to go.

Woot!

But where do they go? I'm looking at the coaming photo and I can't see where the rowlock blocks are. Are they aft of that coaming? I guess they must be.

No, I just looked back through the photos and they ain't there either. So where are they?

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 05-25-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Woot!

But where do they go? I'm looking at the coaming photo and I can't see where the rowlock blocks are. Are they aft of that coaming? I guess they must be.

No, I just looked back through the photos and they ain't there either. So where are they?

Rick

It's a surprise.

Paperback E-book

I'm not telling then.

Reinforcing the reinforcing, so I can reinforce it with glass tape.

Paperback E-book