Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35444546 LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,575 of 1584

Thread: Romana de Scamp

Default Re: Romana de Scamp

I also think actual steam might be better than boiling.

A quick check-in.

Trailer procurement seems to be a month away, subject to someone doing other things that would free up a tinny trailer for sale.

Rudder stock has been assembled, and is to be 'adjusted' due to butchery, re-epoxy coated, primed and painted.

Centreboard has just had its first dry fit in ages, in prep for first finish install in about a week.

Rudder pintles and gudgeons nearly ready to install.

Final completion of trims and doublers for cuddly and coamings now almost ready.

A short list of jobs will carry over after launch, but there is now a remarkably short looking pre-launch list of jobs, which is exciting and scary. I may move forward my plan to disappear on Romana for a while.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Sounds good Bruce , exciting to be so close, can I ask what paint have you used on Romana?

Crystal Paints single pot urethane 'Marine' for the hull. Crystal Paints single pot urethane 'Paving' for the decks, soles etc. Penetrol added. Can't remember the primer/undercoat but it was very good.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-13-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Some of the bits I played with today.

Paperback E-book

Bruce, I’ve been approached by another placement company and asked if I’d be interested in a permanent position in Adelaide (marine eng’) - I’m not, but are you still looking for something and if so do you want the contact details? They didn’t say who with but there’s no real guessing on the project so there’d no doubt be other roles as well.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Crystal Paints single pot urethane 'Marine' for the hull. Crystal Paints single pit urethane 'Paving' for the decks, soles etc. Penetrol added. Can't remember the primer/undercoat but it was very good.

thanks , I looked them up and it sounds good that it's all turps based. I'll give some a try.

Yet another dry fitting session. One hole to be slightly relocated to allow things to hang better. Two long holes to bore through the stock for the uphaul/downhaul lines. A quick release pin for tiller/stock. It's coming together.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-13-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    Paperback E-book

Bruce , re steam water bending, my experience is that some bend well, some don't. Also, there's a difference between steaming and boiling. I think boiling cooks the wood and may make it more brittle. The only timbers I know are jarrah, karri, Oregon and radiata. Karri good, radiata excellent, jarrah and oregon poor. Other thing, a specific bend is always better than a generic bend. Bending steadily around a former, fix and let cool, is good, just applying a heavy load has no real control, gravity won't stop, a mechanical device will. What we're the timbers for?
    the invisible man........

Back on the Centreboard. It was semi-profiled, then glassed half to death to make it strong and stiff enough. Now I've begun final profiling and finishing. The shed is full of sanding dust, hence time out to post. A good layer of profiling goo to go on next then sanding to a slippery shape, and painting.

Paperback E-book

Good progress Bruce.

Are you going to paint the centre board Bruce ? I haven't painted mine and I'm wondering if I should , it's just glassed.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes, painting mine with gloss urethane paving paint, same colour as deck. So long as the glass in your board is uv protected, there's no need to paint it though. Spar varnish is pretty good.

Paperback E-book

First puddle of poo going off on the board.

Paperback E-book

I was actually going to ''paint'' it with a mix of epoxy and graphite powder. It won't see much sun.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That would be very good.

Paperback E-book

I've started collecting materials for Romana's second 'secret weapon'. As with the first, I'm not so much interested in sharing until I've had a chance to play with it IRL, however the first is a sort of downwind survival sail, and the second is to do with self steering. Hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer before I get to play a bit more.

Paperback E-book

Still building, profiling, sanding the centreboard. Poo takes time to go off this time of year.

Paperback E-book

First undercoat has been applied to the centreboard.

Paperback E-book

Final undercoat is on. It can sit and go hard for a few days before I touch it with top coats.
    Paperback E-book

The undercoat on the Centreboard has gone hard and dry overnight, and has no trouble taking 240 grit sandpaper. The first topcoat is going on today, or possibly two topcoats on one side. Topcoat colour is sky blue.

Paperback E-book

Are you not tempting fate by giving the centreboard an affinity with the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Are you not tempting fate by giving the centreboard an affinity with the sky?
    Undoubtedly yes. Let the south winds blow, the boat heel well over, and the centreboard pay its respects to the ciel.

Paperback E-book

Two topcoats have been applied to all surfaces of the centreboard. A third and final coat will be painted on by brush later on in the week, after sanding again with 240 grit paper.

I'm very happy to be getting towards the end of the centreboard jobs. I hope the rudder jobs go as easily.

Paperback E-book

Watching paint dry. Also dry fitting gudgeons and pintles.

Paperback E-book

First dry fit of the steering assembly, to check overall geometry.

Paperback E-book

Final top coats on the Centreboard today. It looks seriously good!

Paperback E-book

I finally located to right material for the trim on top of the coamings. It was a small spar from an unknown dinghy, and it will be profiled and ripped down to make a simple capping piece.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 05-01-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    Paperback E-book

It's a bit cool and drizzly here today, good shed weather, however I'm stuck inside until a couple of deliveries have been made. I did manage to get a bit done before everyone else left though. I'm officially on the finish off and tidy up jobs, which is a big turning point for me.

Rudder, tiller and rudder stock are the focus now. I've bored two holes through the stock for the rudder uphaul and downhaul lines. I've got to shorten the tiller extension slightly next, then it will all start to come together.
    Paperback E-book

Pintles are now permanently fixed to the transom.

Paperback E-book

Oooh, getting close. What with Romana getting her bottom wet and JB heading off to the Islands theres a definite air of excitement in the Antipodes.

Sorry to be splatting the thread with a blow by blow account, but it's keeping me going.

I've done the ripping down of the old spar for the coaming top, and now getting ready to hand profile some bullnose roundness into the edges.

Paperback E-book

I can't find the post now, but someone mentioned that I had the CB lifting block the wrong way round. I fixed that this morning and put the solar panel out in the autumn sun to recharge the batteries.

Romana's really is the prettiest boat I've seen. It's good to have a complete break then come back with fresh eyes.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

I've resurrected the battery system this afternoon. They are charging merrily in the autumn afternoon sun.

I also had another look at the coming cap material and will move that forward now as soon as pissible., along with the reinforcing blocks at the aft edges of the cuddy.

Paperback E-book

*coaming

Paperback E-book