Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Romana de Scamp

Default Re: Romana de Scamp

Maybe a RORO ramp would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Looks like a pretty comfy fit to me Bruce. How about length for sleeping on the cockpit floor?
    Here are some of the more obvious sleeping options in the miraculous TARDIS boat:
    1. Stateroom. Using twart boards at seat top height. Berth is 1400mm x 2050mm or around 6'6" x 4'7" or queen size.
    2. slouch berth for passage making. 480mm wide x 1200mm long, in a sling. 1'7" x 4'
    3. hobo berth on cockpit floor is 2500mm long x 730mm w 8'3" x 2'5". This can be for a single long hobo, or two chaste friends with head at either end, or one on the floor and one in the slouch berth. It was pointed out to me by a lovely German woman who sails that two could sleep easily in that berth, with head and shoulders forward under the veranda where it is 1200 wide and bodies together in the 730mm wide part. She then looked down at the cockpit floor for a couple of moments, then up at me, and blushed deliciously. Two friendly people could indeed sleep on that floor.

As for the RORO ramp, my older brother uses a wheelchair and we have indeed talked about boarding options. There is plenty of room to stow a small folding chair in various places. Once he's aboard he's as mobile as any sailor.

I'll ignore Rick's wit just for now until all the prow options are in.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Use the RORO ramp for the Esky.

Rick

I'm thinking a proper figurehead. Better yet, you could sculpt a figure of someone who's just been run down hanging on for grim death...

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    I'm thinking a proper figurehead. Better yet, you could sculpt a figure of someone who's just been run down hanging on for grim death...
    Two good suggestions in one post!

I went out to the shed and looked at the prow, and it is the right size for a full-size proper figurehead, with the D ring a navel accoutrement. I'm wondering about the execution of it. I have a stack of WRC that could easily be glued together to give a medium to sculpt. I did a sculpture of my own head once, and it turned out really well. I thought it really looked like me, and I still do, however no-one else thinks I look like that. It certainly looks like a human head, anyway.

The second suggestion is pure gold. I wonder if anyone with artistic talents would like to sketch something...
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Commission Greg to do that veneer lion head thing.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Two good suggestions in one post!

I went out to the shed and looked at the prow, and it is the right size for a full-size proper figurehead, with the D ring a navel accoutrement. I'm wondering about the execution of it. I have a stack of WRC that could easily be glued together to give a medium to sculpt. I did a sculpture of my own head once, and it turned out really well. I thought it really looked like me, and I still do, however no-one else thinks I look like that. It certainly looks like a human head, anyway.

The second suggestion is pure gold. I wonder if anyone with artistic talents would like to sketch something...
    Something tastefully understated ?

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I think you miss-spelled gaudily unrestrained.

I was thinking something more like a sculpture of this pose, the head and shoulders, in carved WRC.

I have another art-study figurehead pic that could be morphed with Romana's face superimposed. I can't post it here as it contains some upper body nudity that would likely upset the Scot. Also it''s someone else's image and artwork.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/world_solar_challenge/solar_challenge_images/figurehead_ships_naked_woman_breasts_nipples_shrou d_denis_sm_smoking_man_solar_lady.jpg

If you are a bit clever you can find it though.
    Paperback E-book

I saw one somewhere , just a drawing of figurehead pulling herself up on deck to escape a Great White .... very South Australian . I looked but can't find it.
    Grateful Dead

I googled nude upper body. Lots of good stuff there

Yeah, I did that. It took me hours to find something suitable.
    Paperback E-book

And now there's all these pop ups and viruses and Trojans on my computer.

God did it.

Rick

She's bad !
    Grateful Dead

I think a recognizable picture of Romana from Doctor Who would look just fine on the bow transom. You're already going to get a lot of attention with that boat, and this will make it even better!

Turning a Scamp over is nothing like the big job of turning over a larger craft, but it's more than a one-person job so it's probably worth recording it.

First thing is to get some stands to put it on once it's flipped. I have a choice of two systems, an old table, or some rowing stands.

[IMG]scamp-turnover-004 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]scamp-turnover-013 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm still not decided which one to choose, but they are both to hand.
    Paperback E-book

While the head scratching about the stands goes on, start moving the boat.

First make sure it's free of the building jig by lifting and propping it up on some old WRC tub strakes.

[IMG]scamp-turnover-005 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then slide the jig and the boat as far as they will go towards the side wall of the shed. Sliding on more of those old WRC tub strakes.
    [IMG]scamp-turnover-006 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

With son at one end and me at the other, lift Romana off the jig onto the floor, again, you've guessed it, onto some tub strakes.
    [IMG]scamp-turnover-008 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now get the building jig out of the way. It weighs darn near as much as the boat and in this confined space it's a rotten job, but son and dad are up for it, and any damage will be sanded out later.
    [IMG]scamp-turnover-011 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then lay out some tub strakes so they'll support under bulkheads 3 and 6 and put Romana back in the middle of the floor.
    [IMG]scamp-turnover-012 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

End of the first stage. The next stage requires some more hands, arms and backs, so we'll wait until the cavalry arrives later in the week.
    Paperback E-book

If anyone wants a free SCAMP building jig come and get it. I could throw in some stands as well, as per the building instructions.
    Paperback E-book

If anyone wants a free SCAMP building jig come and get it. I could throw in some stands as well, as per the building instructions.
    Or you could turn it upside down and use it for the table to sit the upturned hull on???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Doesn't fit unless I hack it down and turn it sideways, and even then it's too narrow to add enough stability. Otherwise, a brilliant suggestion.

If no takers I'll salvage the bottom piece and a small portion of the sides as a workbench top 720mm W x 3230mm L. For my next shed adventure.
    Paperback E-book

Would your shed support the weight of the hull if you were to hang a couple of cross pieces to sit the hull on?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Would your shed support the weight of the hull if you were to hang a couple of cross pieces to sit the hull on?
    It *probably* would but I'm not sure. It's a bit flimsy. I'm a bit leery of testing it in case it fails.

If you're wondering about turning her over, three could do it by hand pretty easily, four by hand in a shake of a lamb's tail. I've seen videos of others rolling their Scamps in slings and blocks suspended from above and almost coming to grief. I'm used to handling rowing eights by hand with two people, so I'm not at all spookeed with the notion of flipping it by hand.
    Paperback E-book

It *probably* would but I'm not sure. It's a bit flimsy. I'm a bit leery of testing it in case it fails.

If you're wondering about turning her over, three could do it by hand pretty easily, four by hand in a shake of a lamb's tail. I've seen videos of others rolling their Scamps in slings and blocks suspended from above and almost coming to grief. I'm used to handling rowing eights by hand with two people, so I'm not at all spookeed with the notion of flipping it by hand.

Get some 4 x 2s under that shed to support the walls / roof , block and tackle and some old tires to roll it onto...

and stop mucking about bruce ......

I'll try to get a video of us flipping her over so you guys can see how easily it goes. She's a 3.6 metre dinghy. No blocks and tackles and slings and stuff required, just some blokes and the promise of coopers pale will do it
    Paperback E-book

I'm glad I didn't video me turning JIM, I was a little rough . Completely in character .
    Grateful Dead

Like you said, it's a dinghy, get on with it!

Cavalry is arriving 5:00pm Friday Phil. If you're back in SA and dropping off a car nearby feel free to come along. I could do it earlier, in a pinch, but the bloke I helped recently with his ply launch roll-over can't come until Friday arvo so that's when we are doing it. He is keen to be involved. Also, just because.

It looks like she means business siting on the floor, like she is sitting on the beach waiting for a wave to come and float her off. I really do hope she copes well with the choppy Gulf St Vincent conditions. I'm overly keen to sail Romana.
    Paperback E-book

So Friday afternoon came along, after a long Friday doing volunteer bus driving and carer work for intellectually disabled people. After the day's volunteer work i was feeling so full of the joys of the world I was up for a trivial job of turning Romana over.

I know I said somewhere I'd video this job, but the hired help objected, so all I got was a couple of photos.

After two of us lifting her off the building jig it became obvious that if were careful this was going to be a bit of a trivial job. In this state she weighs very little, and is wide enough for us to get good leverage all over the place to haul her around. My boat building shed is carpeted with thick carpet and underlay so the surface to play on was just ideal. here's the approach we took:
    1. clear the shed
    2. with 2 people at the stern and 1 at the bow, roll Romana up onto her port side, almost to the tipping point of her falling over on her back.
    3. walk her sideways to starboard to the edge of the shed so that if she does fall over she'll have plenty of room without banging into a wall.
    4. the two persons at the stern take a quarter each and lift, with the bow person holding the prow at what we call in rowing the 'full arms' position, i.e. stance upright, arms straight down.
    5. one of the stern people takes all the weight at that end while the other builds a support tower of bricks and timber under the mast trunk.
    6. the bow person is now freed up and helps the other free person to place rowing shell trestles athwartships under the boat at either end of the seat tops, which are still attached to the boat in a dry-fit screwed down condition, one near the stern, one near bulkhead four.
    7. adjust the levelling and height of all the supports
    8. drink beer.

It went almost like clockwork, except that as soon as we got to the end of step 4 a fourth person arrived and so we had the luxury of another Mechanical Engineering opinion plus arms.

Then I got the camera out.

A multitude of sins are revealed.

[IMG]scamp-turnover-014 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

The trestles have some WRC staves on top to distribute the load a bit.
    [IMG]scamp-turnover-015 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's upside down Miss Pat
    [IMG]scamp-turnover-016 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

More theft protection, more DNA embedded into the fabric of this beautiful, wonderful little ship
    [IMG]scamp-turnover-017 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now to find some glass fabric to cover her bare nether regions!
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-17-2014 at 03:55 AM.
    Paperback E-book

You'll have to live with the rest of the typos. Beer.

The logs or whatever they are really called at either end of the centreboard case are recycled furniture pieces that my late father-in-law said were probably Huon Pine. With beer in one hand and pull-saw in the other I just cut a bit of the protruding ends and gave them a big sniff. Unmistakable. HP for sure. I wish he was still with us to help me with this build
    Paperback E-book

Ready for action bruce !

So simple , so elegant ! A great step Bruce .

and where were you when I turned JIM ?
    Grateful Dead

Nicely done Bruce
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Pardon me for asking a question a little off track.
    I am currently building Heidi with wood, woodscrews, epoxy and glass
    I would like to ask how you filled your recessed wood holes before glassing and/or finishing?
    Thanks

I haven't glassed or finished anything that has wood screw holes yet. I have filled plenty of holes and screw head recesses ready for finishing. I fill them with epoxy putty made of epoxy with wood flour mixed in. If the hole is deep I squirt straight epoxy into the hole using a plastic syringe (no needle attached, just the plastic base) to make sure there isn't a sealed void left under the plug. The putty mix needs to be the right consistency to flow in and stay in. I over-fill them and sometimes tape over them to keep the putty in and flattish on the surface. You can get all fancy and try to level them off while the putty is still green, but coarse sandpaper and a cork sanding block and a bit of elbow grease willl clean them up. I'm a bit rough, so with luck someone else will give alternative advice, but I like the idea of having to come back and work it level as it gets my eyes and attention down to the job so I'm foced to look at what I'm doing. I also use a bit of a stick like a match stick or skewer to make sure holes are well filled if they are deep, like a scew hole that I've abandoned because I screwed in the wrong place or decided for some other reason to take a screw out permanently.

I don't think there's such a thing as a question that's off track. If you need to ask something, drop the question in somewhere and someone will surely answer it.

Now you should tell us about Heidi - where are you building her, what is she (another Scamp??), and how far into the build are you?

Edited to add, I'm talking here about finishing off holes in plywood that is going to be ultimately painted over. For filling srcew depressions and holes in wood that is to be clear finished, someone else had better jump in with better advice. You could fill as above but you'd need to do colour match tests as the wood flour is very dark in colour. In the past I have played with lightening wood flour colour-wise with talc powder. Depending on the size and placement of the locations you may want to look at cutting wood plug inserts from matching wood.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-17-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added note re ply work vs wood
    Paperback E-book

Levelled off the protruding bits of the CB case structure to the profile of the underside of the hull. Now distracted helping prep a TS16 for racing next Saturday and another TS16 for a cruise on Tuesday. Slow work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book