Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1353626364 LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,205 of 2211

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Default Re: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It might be a different story to the one I've planned. The wind came up to 19-23 knots this arvo despite an earlier forecast predicting less. Tomorrow and Wednesday may be similar and I don't really want to do a stress test in the middle of the gulf this early in the grand scheme. I may end up doing a local escape up into the Port River for a countery at a good pub and a camp out up in the Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That works as well. My next few sails are just going to be on the river while I fine tune the rig. I have a vague plan of trying for Moreton Bay in July.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Oh, I found the rubber bands, strings and mini-blocks for the initial proposal for sheet-to-tiller self steering! I knew I'd find them when I went looking for something else, and sure enough, there they were. I'll have to try to remember how they were supposed to be rigged. Very happy!

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Romana is away. Zero wind. Sitting 500 metres off Largs, pointing at Port Vincent.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Drop a line in.

Rick

Moving now. ETA 17:00

Paperback E-book

Bon voyage!

Rick

Wind died. Plan modified. Fishing in local waters. Caught one tiddler, chucked it back. Will anchor off locally overnight I think.

Paperback E-book

Default Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Anchor test in shallow water at Largs North. Not dragging yet.

Edited: 15 knots sw and lumpy as cold custard. It's supposed to go SE, slightly offshore direction, by 18:00, then gradually die down to nothing.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-23-2019 at 01:01 AM.
    Paperback E-book

18 knots and I'm looking for the bucket

Paperback E-book

Supposed to be SSE and only about 8 knots. Likely to ease but you have every right to rouse!

Anchored out in a tiny boat in 18 knots. Character building! If it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger! So they say ..... I'm thinking I have a higher chance of getting away with that one now than by morning ..... Is it too far to swim in?

Rick

More rode! More rode!!

That pic on farcebook is the quietest 20 knots I've ever seen though. It was a pretty sunset.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That pic on farcebook is the quietest 20 knots I've ever seen though. It was a pretty sunset.

Photos never show the horrors of a life at sea. It's almost like the mongrel waves and wind conspire to make it look dead calm as soon as you snap the pic. The wind has dropped quite a bit now the sun has gone in, and it's just the endless slap, clank and bang of the waves. At least until the energy in the water is all used up pushing the little boat around. I'm determined to stick it out anchored off tonight. Not sure why. I'm feeling a little bit less chucky now so it might be time for a cold croissant and some chocky bunny in a minute.

Oh yes, the head works! I knew you'd all be wondering.

Paperback E-book

It was like this only worserer.

Paperback E-book

There's a head?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    There's a head?

Rick

Of course! My dear old grandfather often looked at me sadly during my ill-spent youth and advised me "Do try to get a head." It took me years and years but I finally figured out what he meant.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-23-2019 at 05:57 AM.
    Paperback E-book

I know you're not going to believe me but I'm going to tell you anyway. I won a race today.

At the peak of the windiness I had pulled in a reef into Romana's sail and was dragging a lure upwind. Not really hard on the nose, not really shy, just a relaxed starboard tack along the shore line. There had been some sort of big yacht-looking thing a long way ahead of me, too far away for me to try to tag it. It turned downwind though and squared up a head-to-head course with Romana.

Obviously the people on board had good taste and wanted a perv. After a while I noticed that they had altered course a little and they had figured that they wouldn't want to be shown up by a boat of Romana's great elegance. When they were close enough to fall into my trap I went about onto Port tack then eased sheets and bore away so that I'd be able to intercept them, Romana on a beam reach and the other thing on a broad reach, then I could match race them on any point and they would not escape!

The other thing was all white and chrome, with a bluntish bow, a roomy coach house, roller thingy this, tall and skinny that. It looked around 48 feet long so it was probably 36 or so. When they twigged to my plan they turned away onto a parallel heading to Romana's before I had closed the gap and they bolted.

Ah ha! we cried and the game was on. I turned a little further off the wind and we accelerated to come between the block of flats and the harbour, and they fell for it. As they too turned to match our new course, a lovely broad reach with wave assist, we were dead abeam them. If they hardened up to windward we'd stay on track to make more ground towards their home port, then I could set a course directly that way and we'd be ahead. If they bore off, I'd do the same and they'd be following! I had them!

I could not hear any 'words' from the other vessel, which I was close enough at this point to almost read its name - Hapless or something - but three males in pale trousers and polo-necked navy blue knitted jerseys appeared from the coach house. One pretended to adjust something in the cockpit, another put a hand up to shield his eyes from the glare, and the third struck a pose with hands on hips and a braggart's tilt of the head, as they all watched expectantly as I held ground on them.

As we all know, electronics blatantly lie. According to the navigation app our top speed today was only 5.2 knots. Impossible! Romana held our lead until such time as her superiority had been well and truly demonstrated. Then we turned half way towards shore onto a dead run and left them floundering and flailing to find the wherewithal to do the same. As soon as they had, with much clear air between us, I gybed Romana and we took off onto a glorious broad reach directly back towards shore.

I dare say a pinot griggio or two were to be consumed back at the bar while they made up stories about how well they sailed against Romana. But we know the facts of it.

Paperback E-book

Is this the new book?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Is this the new book?

Rick

No, the new book is all doom and gloom and psychology and morality and ethics, with recipes. Not sure I'm actually going to write the new book.

Paperback E-book

2 boats within sight of each other. Race on.

No, the new book is all doom and gloom and psychology and morality and ethics, with recipes. Not sure I'm actually going to write the new book.

Good idea to leave that one! So start a third, happier one!

Rick

Morning chaos. Tonneau cover off. Coffee poured. Dew evaporating.

Paperback E-book

Looking great!

Rick

Romanas first night at sea. Well done.

Looking quite shippy there Bruce!

Home now. Someone please stop my chair from rocking.

Lessons:

Launching and retrieval from our beach is a very bad idea.

A very simple tonneau cover or bivvy style tent is a vey good idea. A bigger cockpit tent may be ok if it's done right.

Everything needs a place, a container, and easy access to it.

I have not yet got the lazyjacks right after several attempts.

Reefing, parking hove-to, is a cinch even without lazyjacks, in 20 knot sloppy choppy water.

It's very easy to get very queasy in sloppy choppy water with your head down in various stowages looking for stuff.

SCAMP sails very well indeed.

Paperback E-book

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I know you're not going to believe me but I'm going to tell you anyway. I won a race today.

At the peak of the windiness I had pulled in a reef into Romana's sail and was dragging a lure upwind. Not really hard on the nose, not really shy, just a relaxed starboard tack along the shore line. There had been some sort of big yacht-looking thing a long way ahead of me, too far away for me to try to tag it. It turned downwind though and squared up a head-to-head course with Romana.

Obviously the people on board had good taste and wanted a perv. After a while I noticed that they had altered course a little and they had figured that they wouldn't want to be shown up by a boat of Romana's great elegance. When they were close enough to fall into my trap I went about onto Port tack then eased sheets and bore away so that I'd be able to intercept them, Romana on a beam reach and the other thing on a broad reach, then I could match race them on any point and they would not escape!

The other thing was all white and chrome, with a bluntish bow, a roomy coach house, roller thingy this, tall and skinny that. It looked around 48 feet long so it was probably 36 or so. When they twigged to my plan they turned away onto a parallel heading to Romana's before I had closed the gap and they bolted.

Ah ha! we cried and the game was on. I turned a little further off the wind and we accelerated to come between the block of flats and the harbour, and they fell for it. As they too turned to match our new course, a lovely broad reach with wave assist, we were dead abeam them. If they hardened up to windward we'd stay on track to make more ground towards their home port, then I could set a course directly that way and we'd be ahead. If they bore off, I'd do the same and they'd be following! I had them!

I could not hear any 'words' from the other vessel, which I was close enough at this point to almost read its name - Hapless or something - but three males in pale trousers and polo-necked navy blue knitted jerseys appeared from the coach house. One pretended to adjust something in the cockpit, another put a hand up to shield his eyes from the glare, and the third struck a pose with hands on hips and a braggart's tilt of the head, as they all watched expectantly as I held ground on them.

As we all know, electronics blatantly lie. According to the navigation app our top speed today was only 5.2 knots. Impossible! Romana held our lead until such time as her superiority had been well and truly demonstrated. Then we turned half way towards shore onto a dead run and left them floundering and flailing to find the wherewithal to do the same. As soon as they had, with much clear air between us, I gybed Romana and we took off onto a glorious broad reach directly back towards shore.

I dare say a pinot griggio or two were to be consumed back at the bar while they made up stories about how well they sailed against Romana. But we know the facts of it.
    Sounds like you may have gone below afterwards and played some music with Doctor Maturin
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

A friend of mine who is an ex UK fighter pilot put me onto Stureron. Apparently they use them in the British airforce.
    Its not available in Aus but if you know someone in the U.K. Its available over the counter.
    He explained to me that the sea sick tabs we have hear in Aus work on settling the stomach where as these work on settling the inner ear.
    I suffer sea sick on my first few days always! I used these last time out and had nothing whatsoever. I even tested it by sticking my head down in to all sorts of places, and nothing at all.

Did you mean stugeron? I think that's what have used from time to time.

Yeah that

I think the answer is more time afloat rather than ear drugs.

Paperback E-book

Some photos my son took of Romana and me setting off the other day. You can see why I decided to abandon the plan to cross the Gulf St Vincent. By the time the weather had turned from this millpond to 15 knots the day had used up too many hours.

Paperback E-book

Stay calm and carry on.

Thoroughly enjoying this story and photos. Makes me feel like going sailing.

Thanks. I think the season may be just about to break so there may not be much more to report for a while. I'll have to get busy on self steering, paint touch-ups and bright orange cockpit tent.

Paperback E-book