Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1050596061 LastLast
Results 2,066 to 2,100 of 2125

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Not Eric.

Yes screen printing would work well. The two motifs I have in mind are the 'running man' three legged thing, for the spinnaker kite, and the Raven banner symbol that has convoluted Viking significance.

One interpretation of the raven banner is that it represents the valkyries, who selected the best of fallen warriors to serve at Valhalla. Lots of other interwoven symbolic stuff but basically a Raven banner or flag is flown to instil fear and respect. The one flying the flag is indicating a willingness to fight and die, and an expectation of a glorious death and afterlife. It's the motif to go on the storm chute.

The little orange kite is 1.5 square metres and is a trial version of the storm chute. I have a reel of thin dyneema to use for the bridles and lines - it's another two-line kite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

So if I read correctly, you desire to instil fear from all those who dare to gaze upon the Hi Vis Raven secret weapon. Sounds exciting (a touch of swallows and amazons). Will you be raiding the local settlements to do what Vikings do best? Does this give a license to round up and run off with all the women folk in said settlements, or have modern Vikings been swept up political correctness?

BTW, where did you buy your dyneema? I have yet to see it appear in marine stores over my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    So if I read correctly, you desire to instil fear from all those who dare to gaze upon the Hi Vis Raven secret weapon. Sounds exciting (a touch of swallows and amazons). Will you be raiding the local settlements to do what Vikings do best? Does this give a license to round up and run off with all the women folk in said settlements, or have modern Vikings been swept up political correctness?

BTW, where did you buy your dyneema? I have yet to see it appear in marine stores over my way.

The kite string dyneema is from a kite string mob on eBay. I spent hours umming and aaring and finally just picked one out. You can get all sorts of lengths, thicknesses, braiding etc. this one is probably rebadged dyneema fishing line.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That looks like Uhmwpe.

I was wondering about that too, thought it wasn't quite the same as dyneema... but it is a while since I last studied up on the chemistry of all the current crop of fibres so maybe I'm just confused.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultr...t_polyethylene

Dyneema is uhmwpe spun through spinnarets giving a directional consistency to most of the very long chain molecules, resulting in very high tensile strength.

The kite line may or may not be able to be branded 'Dyneema' however it is 90kg rated breaking strain for 0.6mm dia, and meets my requirements. It's sold as dyneema and is chemically the same stuff. Happy to do load tests on a sample.

Paperback E-book

I was jus pullin yer chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I was jus pullin yer chain.

Was that a Dyneema chain or one of those old fashioned metal thingies?

Paperback E-book

Dont go getting all stroppy.

Phew um .... confused.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultr...t_polyethylene

Dyneema is uhmwpe spun through spinnarets giving a directional consistency to most of the very long chain molecules, resulting in very high tensile strength.

The kite line may or may not be able to be branded 'Dyneema' however it is 90kg rated breaking strain for 0.6mm dia, and meets my requirements. It's sold as dyneema and is chemically the same stuff. Happy to do load tests on a sample.

No doubt the strength is fine. If there is any difference I would think it would be in creep, but that's not relevant to your application.

Uhmwpe does sound creepy.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Uhmwpe does sound creepy.

Rick
    The fear instilling raven will be controlled with a creepy thing. Groovy!

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    The fear instilling raven will be controlled with a creepy thing. Groovy!

If it flies.

I'm afraid I'm becoming pessimistic again. I'll believe it works when I've tested it. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with other jobs and I'm wondering how to do the loops that hold the bridle strings to the kite. I'm thinking I might sew on little ripstop tabs with oompee string loops embedded in them. Probably over thinking it.

Paperback E-book

Hi Bruce, I'm looking to get an electrical system set up for my boat, are you still happy with your minimal solar system? would your recommend the lithium battery packs over a couple of SLA motorbike batteries?

Thanks,

Liam

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Hi Bruce, I'm looking to get an electrical system set up for my boat, are you still happy with your minimal solar system? would your recommend the lithium battery packs over a couple of SLA motorbike batteries?

Thanks,

Liam

Hi Liam,

It's still early days with my system and it won't be obvious if there are any hidden gotchas with my Lion packs for a while. At this stage they are behaving very well though. They will accept a charge and gulp it down quickly from a 70w solar panel. They have a better useable charge range, they are much lighter, and they don't seem to be as overdrain-fragile as a SLA type. On the flip side there are 24 individual cells, and the charge balance needs to be monitored. It would be a good way to go for anyone who would find it fun, rather than a drag, to learn to manage this kind of technology. Also it really is a bit minimalist. I wouldn't want to try to crank any motor regularly with my Lion packs.

I'm watching the weather improving and looking forward to camp cruising soon. I'm in the process of stiffening the top 1.5 metres of the tapered carbon mast. I'm really hoping that Spring will bring enough wind-friendly days that I will be able to nip down to KI for a week of solitude for writing a couple of times.

Short answer, yes happy, but situational relevance is key.

Paperback E-book

great, i'll follow your lead then and go for a more lightweight install, though built in. with LED lights, a couple of phones and a GPS i'm not expecting to need much power, and my outboard has a charge coil if i need it as well,

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    great, i'll follow your lead then and go for a more lightweight install, though built in. with LED lights, a couple of phones and a GPS i'm not expecting to need much power, and my outboard has a charge coil if i need it as well,

Sounds ideal. Let me know if you want the details of the Lion packs.

Paperback E-book

Good weather is almost here so it's time I got onto some of the tasks that came out of the first harbour and sea trials. The biggest and ugliest of them is to stiffen the top 1.5 metres of the tapered carbon fibre mast.

Today I wrapped the top section with carbon fibre tape which is wide enough to wrap two thicknesses around the existing mast top. The goo is going off overnight and I'll clean it up and do a weave fill tomorrow after my volunteering work.

I still haven't gone very far in sea trials yet. We are coming up to that time of year when the mornings are mild and the afternoons have a pumping great sea breeze that blows diagonally up our gulf, onshore to our side of the gulf. There should be some broad reaches to write home about over summer. If Romana handles this stuff I'll be well pleased and reasonably happy to start planning some overnighters.

Paperback E-book

The goo has set up nicely and I've cleaned up the edges. I'm happy with how it looks so I'll do a weave filling, surface smoothing coat this afternoon.

Paperback E-book

The goo has set up nicely and I've cleaned up the edges. I'm happy with how it looks so I'll do a weave filling, surface smoothing coat this afternoon.

Sounds like you’re building a racing mast - photos?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Good weather is almost here so it's time I got onto some of the tasks that came out of the first harbour and sea trials. The biggest and ugliest of them is to stiffen the top 1.5 metres of the tapered carbon fibre mast.

Today I wrapped the top section with carbon fibre tape which is wide enough to wrap two thicknesses around the existing mast top. The goo is going off overnight and I'll clean it up and do a weave fill tomorrow after my volunteering work.

I still haven't gone very far in sea trials yet. We are coming up to that time of year when the mornings are mild and the afternoons have a pumping great sea breeze that blows diagonally up our gulf, onshore to our side of the gulf. There should be some broad reaches to write home about over summer. If Romana handles this stuff I'll be well pleased and reasonably happy to start planning some overnighters.

A hint Bruce, the balanced lugsail is very powerful downwind, and SCAMP has a big hanky hung up there so reef early when running off downwind and dont let the yard go forward of 90 deg to the centreline.
    Have fun.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Thanks John, I'll take all your advice, a double dose of the have fun bit.

This mast mod may spell the end of the carbon fibre experiment if the simple stiffening does not deliver. I'll keep you posted. My fall-back would be an ally tube. I believe there was an early discussion about using a 70 or 72 mm OD ally mast of around 2mm wall thickness. I think I recall someone using a thicker wall tube of that sort of size. I'll search it out if I need to.

The brief sea trials to date support your advice regarding reefing early. On a very light day an unreefed sail was catching occasional gusts 12-15 knots and a steady 12 would be comfortable with a single reef, and at 18 knots I'd think you'd be fully reefed and charging along at hull speed.

Larks there's nothing racing-rig about it, just a madman's folly I'm afraid. As far as pictures go you'll have to imagine a long black tapered tube with a hobo at one end. That would be me.

Anyway I'm hankering for another round of trials and plan to get down to Penneshaw before new year. At that stage I'll know how dumb an idea it would be to keep going from there and I'll plan accordionally. I harbour mad thoughts of distance sailing again.

Paperback E-book

Larks there's nothing racing-rig about it, just a madman's folly I'm afraid. As far as pictures go you'll have to imagine a long black tapered tube with a hobo at one end. That would be me.

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks John, I'll take all your advice, a double dose of the have fun bit.

This mast mod may spell the end of the carbon fibre experiment if the simple stiffening does not deliver. I'll keep you posted. My fall-back would be an ally tube. I believe there was an early discussion about using a 70 or 72 mm OD ally mast of around 2mm wall thickness. I think I recall someone using a thicker wall tube of that sort of size. I'll search it out if I need to.

The brief sea trials to date support your advice regarding reefing early. On a very light day an unreefed sail was catching occasional gusts 12-15 knots and a steady 12 would be comfortable with a single reef, and at 18 knots I'd think you'd be fully reefed and charging along at hull speed.

Anyway I'm hankering for another round of trials and plan to get down to Penneshaw before new year. At that stage I'll know how dumb an idea it would be to keep going from there and I'll plan accordionally. I harbour mad thoughts of distance sailing again.

The downwind issue, and anyone who's sailed a laser or any boat with a big sail on an unstayed mast will know, is that when getting a bit overpowered downwind, you dare not let the sail out any further, as it will quite likely roll the boat over to windward. The way to handle that is to gently bring the boat around to beam on, then ease the sail letting it swing forward as you bear way, that enables you to run downwind in severe conditions with the sail flagged out over the bow when you've not had time to reef it. Thats assuming that your mainsheet is long enough. Check that.

That aly tube size will work, but you need "T6" grade aly rather than the softer "T5".

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post

That's it, that's me.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    The downwind issue, and anyone who's sailed a laser or any boat with a big sail on an unstayed mast will know, is that when getting a bit overpowered downwind, you dare not let the sail out any further, as it will quite likely roll the boat over to windward. The way to handle that is to gently bring the boat around to beam on, then ease the sail letting it swing forward as you bear way, that enables you to run downwind in severe conditions with the sail flagged out over the bow when you've not had time to reef it. Thats assuming that your mainsheet is long enough. Check that.

That aly tube size will work, but you need "T6" grade aly rather than the softer "T5".

John Welsford

Yep there's a veritable truck load of mainsheet there just waiting for such an occasion

Re the rolling to windward thing, the existence of that possibility is what convinced me to install sump bailers plus transom overflow ports. The standard dinghy capsize to leeward puts the cockpit in shelter from the wind and wave forces, however the roll and capsize to windward potentially puts the cockpit against those same forces and I can foresee the possibility of scooping up a bit more water that will need to be allowed to escape once back under way.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to actually doing some of the things I've long planned for Romana. Lots of interesting experiences and experiments to come. I've set out some components for the first self-steering attempts, starting from the most simplistic. I'm not sure whether it's practical given the waterline length and the resulting tail waltzing that might happen, but we'll see.

Paperback E-book

Bloody good to see your little ship getting wet Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    Bloody good to see your little ship getting wet Bruce!
    JEEBUZ! What a blast, you're still alive!! Great to see a post from you.
    Paperback E-book

So, a quick progress report.

I missed out on the inaugural Port Adelaide Classic and Wooden Boat Show. I pulled Romana out when it became obvious I wasn't going to be ready to sail in. I could have trailered in but I didn't like the thought of so many sticky fingers up close to my boat over two days. So I've got the mast stiffening sooo close to being ready. There will soon be a second round of sea trials. Also, K9 the quadcopter is undergoing final tweaks and configuration.

Thankfully we won't be ready to attempt to sail to Hobart for the next WBF there, so that's probably a good thing. By the following one I'll be too old to contemplate it. Saved by Father Time. But I do hope to get some good photos and good stories going of less ambitious/lethal coastal cruising.
    Paperback E-book

Bruce I'm too old to sail a Scamp to Hobart, and I reckon I'm about 10 years younger than you!

Don't take anything I write seriously. Just 18 months ago I was talking about sailing an old sloop from Southport to Adelaide all through the winter. Sometimes I just float ideas to see if they float.

Paperback E-book

Yeah well, I'd advise against that. Not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Sounds like you’re building a racing mast - photos?

Ok, just to keep the thread alive. I got the reinforcing on where and how I wanted it. No idea yet whether it will do the job but the materials were inexpensive. The upper most 1500 mm has a bi-directional carbon sleeve/wrap, and the critical area where an existing sleeved join occurs between two carbon tubes has a carbon/aramid sleeve/wrap of higher density material. I've put a coat of single pack PU paving paint over it to keep it protected and a bit cooler.

I'm going to start looking for a weather opportunity to head south down our city's coastline while the material continues to slowly cure up to practical max strength level then I'll see if I can work up to pushing a bit of wind into the sail.

Paperback E-book

That pic shows sensible priorities, if a building is in the way of the boat (mast) the building must give way.