Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11516061
Results 2,101 to 2,116 of 2116

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Yeah, I've got to repair that door. One day. Soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    The downwind issue, and anyone who's sailed a laser or any boat with a big sail on an unstayed mast will know, is that when getting a bit overpowered downwind, you dare not let the sail out any further, as it will quite likely roll the boat over to windward. The way to handle that is to gently bring the boat around to beam on, then ease the sail letting it swing forward as you bear way, that enables you to run downwind in severe conditions with the sail flagged out over the bow when you've not had time to reef it. Thats assuming that your mainsheet is long enough. Check that.

That aly tube size will work, but you need "T6" grade aly rather than the softer "T5".

John Welsford
    When I was hunting down alloy tube for my JR battens I could not find a supplier for T6 38mm in this country.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The mast is in and ready for a re-test but I'm confined to barracks for a few days with domestic stuff. So I have started mocking up bits to construct the next piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The uprights of the device are stainless steel channel bolted to the transom. They terminate a little bit above the waterline. I'm trying to think of a simple, light and possibly elegant way of incorporating a boarding ladder, step or sling. Open to ideas.

Oh yes, the 'device' is intended to support the vane and mechanism for a simplistic self steering wind vane.

Paperback E-book

You'll need at least 3 layers of tape with the vane Bruce.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Great work Bruce , I sense an ocean going tramway is imminent

Looks like tiny davits for a 2'6" dinghy. Cool.

For steps, look for inspiration at the cross bar behind the cab of a ute. Little folding up thing to stop loads sliding off. You could have some sort of pin or channel or something which flips down out of the channel on the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Great work Bruce , I sense an ocean going tramway is imminent
    You're a mind reader I think the stainless parts came from a bus, and that's near enough to a tramway in my book.

In case it doesn't work well enough I've got a swinging kayak rudder that can be linked in to provide power augmentation to the pullums. I am brimming with (possibly false) confidence that my formula 1 vane enhancer will be sufficient. My much admired nephew Matt has taken delivery of a 3D printer so I can't wait to see what sort of device can be manufactured for the axis/head bit.
    Paperback E-book

I had a chat today with a well known Tasmanian wooden boat sailor and made the mistake of jokingly suggesting I might have to sail Romana over to Tassie so we can catch up. After we'd talked about a kayaking group that does that trip semi-regularly, weather, routes, distances etc I'm half inclined to put it on the table and do a few feasibility scenarios.

Paperback E-book

I find that once I get something like that in my head I tend to get a bit obsessive about it, to the point where it must be done, regardless. It might be better to get a few sea miles under her keel before you let that particular seed grow too much. It may well be doable. Or it may not. But it's hard to make rational decisions once the obsession sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I find that once I get something like that in my head I tend to get a bit obsessive about it, to the point where it must be done, regardless. It might be better to get a few sea miles under her keel before you let that particular seed grow too much. It may well be doable. Or it may not. But it's hard to make rational decisions once the obsession sets in.

But you know me. Rational. Not obsessive at all. Quite sane. Besides, it's just an idea, an idle thought.

What could possibly go wrong?

Paperback E-book

Yes, you are lucky that way. But who will look after the bees?

Really! You should mind your peas and queues and let Bruce worry about the bees.

Why not dust off Arawana and do a test run or two?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Really! You should mind your peas and queues and let Bruce worry about the bees.

Why not dust off Arawana and do a test run or two?

Rick

If I go sailing in Arawana I doubt I'd return. Not that that would be a bad thing from some perspectives, but two or three people might come looking for me. Right now I think I could slip the painter and be a full time hobo for the rest of my natural years. But I do have responsibilities. Also, bees.

Paperback E-book

I suggest the opposite - slip the hobo and be a painter for the rest of your years. Take only a day or two's rations, the uke and a new chord sheet, some oils and a brush, and just easel into it!

When you get hungry and sick of the same song, i.e., reach the two day limit, sail home to bliss with something to show!

Rick

Your bees need you, Summer is coming .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead