Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14546364
Results 2,206 to 2,231 of 2231

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

There's a bit of rain coming soon but beautiful sailing weather until July. Just need that awesome Mawson beanie.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    There's a bit of rain coming soon but beautiful sailing weather until July. Just need that awesome Mawson beanie.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I took it on the first overnighter. Didn't need it, but weather is sneaky so it pays to be prepared. Besides, it's big and kinda like a teddy bear, in case I get lonely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I've just sold a kayak. It's off to Whitworths tomorrow for a new pfd/harness combo and a plb. Just in case I get ambitious. I've been thinking about Sibbo and the sort of cruising he would like me to do with Romana. I hear ya Peter.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

The winter weather is kicking in so I'm watching weather systems slide past, waiting for an opportunity to pop up for a cool reach down the coast or across the gulf. I lashed out most of the kayak proceeds on a pfd with a harness built into the structure, a plb, strobe light, signal mirror, spare signal whistle and a dry bag. Happy.

Default Re: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

I got a boat from my grandfather. She is very old. I was still a baby when we first embroider it on the sea!) This is the greatest wealth I have. But she needs repairs. And where to start, I do not even know. Of course, I didn’t do this at all before, but I hope to find answers to my questions here)

I don't know many babies who do embroidery.

Rick

Two years on and Romana gets no time on the water. I'm going to explore whether it would be worthwhile selling her to someone who would use her.

I would have sailed today but it's our usual gusty unpredictable northerly with a change coming on………so I'm mowing grass instead…………..

The last week has been intensely busy preparing the place for Kerry's 66th birthday party, which was last night...got to bed at 2.30 am this morning.
    So, yeah, a great party.
    NOW I can concentrate on getting Redwing home and getting Redwing ll.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Two years on and Romana gets no time on the water. I'm going to explore whether it would be worthwhile selling her to someone who would use her.

That’d be a shame Bruce, after all the work, but it seems like it has been a very good time lately to be selling boats (and caravans and 4wd’s).
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    That’d be a shame Bruce, after all the work, but it seems like it has been a very good time lately to be selling boats (and caravans and 4wd’s).

Yep a big shame, but watching her deteriorate in the yard is not good either. I think I left my run a bit late. She's pretty hefty for a 12 footer and since I broke my legs I really don't see myself coming back enough to manhandle her on and off the trailer. I'm 68 now and my plan was to get in a few adventures before 71 but the lifting and hauling ability is gone.

It wouldn't mean no more small boat sailing necessarily. I can see myself back in a Heron up and down the coast here. Pretty sure I can manage a way to haul that size and weight in and out of the water.

Yep a big shame, but watching her deteriorate in the yard is not good either. I think I left my run a bit late. She's pretty hefty for a 12 footer and since I broke my legs I really don't see myself coming back enough to manhandle her on and off the trailer. I'm 68 now and my plan was to get in a few adventures before 71 but the lifting and hauling ability is gone.

It wouldn't mean no more small boat sailing necessarily. I can see myself back in a Heron up and down the coast here. Pretty sure I can manage a way to haul that size and weight in and out of the water.
    Sorry to hear your planning to sell Romana, although it’s good to hear you have a Heron back up plan.

Quite possibly our biological clocks combined with a lack of use influences our decision making process when selling a boat.

Just be prepared for some emotional turmoil particularly as she encompasses unfulfilled dreams and she also represents a substantial investment including blood sweat and tears .

As Greg stated it’s still a good time to sell so try and achieve a good payday.by listing high.

I had to work through a few emotions over calling it quits with Redwing.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Bugger Bruce, sorry to hear mate.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Bugger Bruce, sorry to hear mate.

Never mind. I had a lot of fun along the way. But I remember reading about a bloke 71 years old getting into strife sailing solo in among the rocks and rips west of Flinders Island and drowning after losing the boat. I vowed I wouldn't do that and now I know I'm very capable of doing the same thing. The last thing I want to be remembered as is a silly old bugger who couldn't admit he'd gotten old and paid the price. So mow I'm aiming at being a silly old bugger refusing to admit to getting old, and surviving doing dumb things along the local beaches.

Sorry to hear, Bruce. This thread reminded me of an essay by E.B. White--"The Sea and the Wind that Blows." Here's the conclusion:

When does a man quit the sea? How dizzy, how bumbling must he be? Does he quit while he's ahead, or wait till he makes some major mistake, like falling overboard or being flattened by an accidental jibe? This past winter I spent hours arguing the question with myself. Finally, deciding that I had come to the end of the road, I wrote a note to the boatyard, putting my boat up for sale. I said I was "coming off the water." But as I typed the sentence, I doubted that I meant a word of it.

If no buyer turns up, I know what will happen: I will instruct the yard to put her in again-"just till somebody comes along." And then there will be the old uneasiness, the old uncertainty, as the mild southeast breeze ruffles the cove, a gentle, steady, morning breeze, bringing the taint of the distant wet world, the smell that takes a man back to the very beginning of time, linking him to all that has gone before. There will lie the sloop, there will blow the wind, once more I will get under way. And as I reach across to the black can off the Point, dodging the trap buoys and toggles, the shags gathered on the ledge will note my passage. "There goes the old boy again," they will say. "One more rounding of his little Horn, one more conquest of his Roaring Forties." And with the tiller in my hand, I'll feel again the wind imparting life to a boat, will smell again the old menace, the one that imparts life to me: the cruel beauty of the salt world, the barnacle's tiny knives, the sharp spine of the urchin, the stinger of the sun jelly, the claw of the crab.

Good luck finding a worthy buyer, at a worthy price!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Hi Bruce,
    just rediscovering this forum as a get-away from Facebook and "people who love Mirror Sailing Dinghies". I appreciate your sentiments. It'd be better seeing Romana in the hands of folks who appreciate the effort you've put into her and are able to enjoy using her frequently, rather than seeing her gather dust by your beehives.
    Perhaps you'll find another Mirror to mess about with on suitable days. I am fortunate enough to have kept mine, but haven't sailed her for over a year as I never finished the paint renewal project - my sailing days last year being spent on the daysailer on the local lake. Now the damned centreboard of the frozen snot daysailer has to be repaired first so that we can get the boat off the co-operative's grounds.
    Cheers,
    Gernot H.
    Last edited by 62816inBerlin; 05-12-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typos

At 78 I think I am fortunate in sailing my dinghy in a club situation at least once a week through the summer, and having my canoe to sail off my local shallow beach where if the worst happens I can walk ashore.
    I'm sorry to hear this Bruce, it's a hard decision.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    At 78 I think I am fortunate in sailing my dinghy in a club situation at least once a week through the summer, and having my canoe to sail off my local shallow beach where if the worst happens I can walk ashore.
    I'm sorry to hear this Bruce, it's a hard decision.
    At nearly 69 you are my benchmark.
    Don't know what I did this evening, turned the wrong way...I don't know but the back hurts. Hot water bottle is helping.

I've taken Romana back off the market. Possibly temporarily. I have had good discussions with potential buyers but it's currently impossible to be fair to interested people who are all in and out of lockdown. So there's a sort of maybe possibility of an 'Unfinished Business' cruise. Nothing of a major scale. Maybe beat across the Gulf, south along the York Peninsula east coast, remote possibility of a hop across to KI, back to home base on a broad reach. That sort of thing.

I've taken Romana back off the market. Possibly temporarily. I have had good discussions with potential buyers but it's currently impossible to be fair to interested people who are all in and out of lockdown. So there's a sort of maybe possibility of an 'Unfinished Business' cruise. Nothing of a major scale. Maybe beat across the Gulf, south along the York Peninsula east coast, remote possibility of a hop across to KI, back to home base on a broad reach. That sort of thing.

I like the sound of that Bruce.

I'm buying the 1st sheet of ply next week to replace the transom on Redwing ll.

Hey Bruce that’s something to look forward to. Quick escape before another lockdown.

Speaking of lockdowns I have now met two couples on Mcleay Island who escaped after the big lock down and bought real estate on the Island . Small wonder our Q realestate prices are going crazy and worse if you loose your rental pad homelessness may follow.

There are people around here that have been renting a flat for 20 years and have been evicted.

How many flats are there in Uki?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret