Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brucemoffatt
    • Apr 2012

Re: Romana de Scamp

Sniff. The worst of it is that I haven't learned anything from it so I will be struggling along using the same process tomorrow. What I did was to paint on some raw epoxy onto the strip, then butter up the boat with thickened goo. Starting at the transom I put in a screw from the inside of the top plank through the strip, then moved forward maybe 300mm - 400mm, and put in the next screw. Then working like a very angry octopus I hauled up the strip into line with the top of the top plank, held it there with one hand and with the other hand drilled a new screw hole, changed from a drill to a driver, started off a screw in the hole, then drilled it home. Every couple of screws I went back over the work and put in clamps where needed to keep the strip from gaping away from the top of the plank due to twist. I worked my way to the bow along the port side sheer in this way, then went back and squeezed in epoxy anywhere there was a crack, and wiped it all down with a rag. On the port side that was my right hand on the drill. The starboard will mean a bit of ambidexterity will have to be added as well. At least, at this stage, the scarf joints haven't exploded yet.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• Larks
      Larks
      • Jul 2007

Would it be any help to run a line of temporary nails (or screws) along the planking, even perhaps slightly bent up, for the gunwale strips to sit on while you get the screws or clamps all in place as you work along, rather than having to try and juggle it? Take them out once you've got it all secure and the holes should fill with the fillet under the strip.

That might even allow you to sit the strip on the run of temp' nails/screws before applying epoxy to it so that it's easier to handle - i.e. paint on the epoxy to the strip and just fold it up bit by bit as you work along.
      Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
      “It’s risky”, said experience.
      “It’s pointless”, said reason.
      “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• brucemoffatt
        • Apr 2012

That would work if the planking was more than 6mm thick. It offers very little to fix to, and I'm even leery that the screws are deforming the ply. I think that maybe the Oregon is too structurally stiff for this job. A more 'limp' timber for want of a better term, maybe one that I could do in one 20mm x 30mm piece, would be substantially easier. I'm just not savvy enough about the properties of the sticks I've got here to use. The CTP seems to be more amenable to bending and twisting, I just didn't have enough of it for the job. Hoop pine probably would have been ideal. The Oregon is as strong as it comes. When these strips are on and bevelled, I have some old dry Teak to bend on as a rubbing rail. I can hardly wait.
        Last edited by brucemoffatt; 08-02-2015, 05:51 PM.
        When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• Larks
          Larks
          • Jul 2007

Does the build call for an inwale as well Bruce? That'd help to stiffen it up a bit. Or even get the side decks on first or a capping rail or whatever it is that goes over those frames.
          Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
          “It’s risky”, said experience.
          “It’s pointless”, said reason.
          “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• brucemoffatt
            • Apr 2012

There are carlins set well in from the edge, on the other side of the frames. The side decks sit on top of the frames, the carlins and the gunwales. That gives a bit of an outer edge detail I am not overjoyed with, but it's a ply boat and there's always an end grain issue cropping up. The rubbing strip is supposed to cover the side deck end grain.

There's not much can be done except push on through it now. Someone more dexterous than I am wouldn't have these issues. By this time tomorrow I'll be past the worst of it. By the third Scamp build I'd be good at it, and I reckon that's true for most boat builds,

Comment

• brucemoffatt
              • Apr 2012

I could have steamed it...

Comment

• RFNK
                Port Stephens, Australia
                • Feb 2007

My 2c:
                Hang the far end of the strip on a bit of string from the roof. Butter the strip but only enough to wet it out, not enough so the epoxy will dribble off - you could just use neat resin. Then butter the forward part of the boat where the strip is going on, and clamp the forward end of the plank on. Keep doing this, buttering just a section at a time, and clamping, until you get to the end. Then go back and fasten it from the forward end, adjusting the position and removing clamps as you go.

Rick
                Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                  • Apr 2012

I watched the glue go hard and the grass come out and the clouds go past, and after dinner, with the benefit of daylight savings time, I glued on the outer port gunwale strip. It was less traumatic. I did a combo of everyone's suggestions including the building manual. Tomorrow I may get the others on after all, with luck and rat cunning.

[IMG]gunwale-gluing-003 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Photos just don't do the beautiful sweep of the sheer any justice.
                  [IMG]gunwale-gluing-004 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• Phil Y
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010

You did well getting those clamps with pads onto well lubricated sliding bendy spring parts Bruce. I reckon you need 3 times as many though. I have about 50 or so wedge clamps made of scrap ply which are pretty good for that job, but it's probly a bit far to come and get them.

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                      • Apr 2012

Phil it's also screwed. The first strip is screwed from the inside, through the top plank into the strip. the second strip is screwed from the outside into all three layers. The clamps are to help the screws so the forces don't rip it apart. I need some more 25mm SS screws now. Almost all used up and nowhere near finished the boat

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                        • Apr 2012

The starboard side gunwale strips are now both screwed and glued to death onto the boat. By the last half o the last strip I almost felt like I was doing it right. I was alone for the day so I did this side single handed. I had no show of doing the first strip of the port side by myself.

There will be a fair bit of filling and fairing to come, however this is the biggest of the jobs I wanted out of the way before the boat rolls over so I can tackle under the hull. Now comes sanding, smoothing, filling, patching and even painting under the seat tops, and other sundry prep jobs. I've located a table that I will be using as a support when she is flipped over, so maybe a week of fiddling about then some more fun stuff.

[IMG]gunwale-gluing-005 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                          • Apr 2012

Here's a video of how she looks so far.

Comment

• PeterSibley
                            • Dec 2001

She's remarkably roomy for a small boat Bruce , very impressive indeed !
                            '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                            Grateful Dead

Comment

• Measures Once Cuts Twice
                              Hack of all trades
                              • Feb 2014

Hi, enjoying your build.
                              when I need extra arms/hands I use bungy cords. Strap the long piece in place every 4 to 6 feet then go back and place scrap blocks under the piece to give you some room to you can spread your epoxy and clamp as you go down the strip.
                              advanced bungy cord user tip: put an adjustable wrench on the far end and use a bungy to put twist in the plank while you're attaching it.

Also re planer mess, a spare bit of old plastic hose (mines from a wet/dry vac) screwed onto the chip outlet and directed into an old 5 gal pail

Looking good!
                              "what could go wrong?"

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                                • Apr 2012

Keep all the good info and tips coming in please, I need all the help I can get.

I'm having to take extra care of my body for a few days - no cuts, scratches or splinters allowed - so I'm staying away from the tools. I couldn't help having a bit of a lounge in the cockpit though just to see if I'll fit.

[IMG]scamp-cockpit-001 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]scamp-cockpit-002 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yep, I nearly fit in here

Comment

Working...