Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Or you could make like a Thames Barge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Or you could make like a Thames Barge

I could.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Went to Aldi. Bought vegetables. Resisted the temptation to spend all my money in the 'blokes specials bins'

But I couldn't pass up the boat mattress.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

I hope it serves you well Bruce .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Perfect

Looks like it was made for Romana. So now all you need is a self inflating pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Looks like it was made for Romana. So now all you need is a self inflating pillow.

Probably end up using a small dry bag full of last week's undies. Or maybe just get a sleeping bag with a hood and double fold down the hood.

Paperback E-book

Better to use those for berley or a trail for the search team.

Rick

When the undies are sighted the search team will call off the search due to crew health and safety concerns.

If it comes to the point I'm throwing undies overboard there will be no point coming to look for me.

Paperback E-book

A slow, cold and grey day today. I'm doing some tiny jobs just to keep myself awake. Bolt the trailer number plate on, adjust the length of the tent pole hoop, dawdle around in the shed daydreaming. I like days like this.

Paperback E-book

Freedom to daydream, one of the many benefits of getting a boat finished. Can't wait to join you as a fellow finisher, but alas that time is not here yet. Was your daydreaming productive. Have the seeds of forthcoming wild adventures been sewn perhaps?

Default Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Freedom to daydream, one of the many benefits of getting a boat finished. Can't wait to join you as a fellow finisher, but alas that time is not here yet. Was your daydreaming productive. Have the seeds of forthcoming wild adventures been sewn perhaps?

I've had those dreams/nightmares for five years. I'm constantly thinking "what could possibly go wrong" and trying to find ways to mitigate risks, and I'm also conscious of all of the things that spring up into my face because I didn't foresee them. But I spend just as much time considering the upside of upcoming adventures, particularly ones where I don't have pressing itineraries, goals and expectations. It may end up that I become a hobo lurking around the Adelaide coast and never going far. That will do if that's what happens.

The overwhelming drive though is to sail as far as I can.

Paperback E-book

Oh, a few posts back I said I went to Aldi and bought vegetables. Some were fresh, some were frozen. I read today that the frozen ones have been recalled due to listeria. There's nothing on the Aldi web site about it so I've emailed them asking for urgent clarification.

Just goes to show you, eh? You could spend five or six years building a boat, plan meticulously an epic voyage, and die in agony from eating frozen peas before you leave.

Paperback E-book

My family always make a bit of fun of me because I always worry about what could go wrong. But I only do it from when we get in the car until when we tie up at the berth again. I think it's just due diligence. Actually I hate it. I get far too anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Oh, a few posts back I said I went to Aldi and bought vegetables. Some were fresh, some were frozen. I read today that the frozen ones have been recalled due to listeria. There's nothing on the Aldi web site about it so I've emailed them asking for urgent clarification.

Just goes to show you, eh? You could spend five or six years building a boat, plan meticulously an epic voyage, and die in agony from eating frozen peas before you leave.

"All we are saying is give peas a chance,
    gives peas a chance !"
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Worrying about what could go wrong is a good thing and a mark of intelligence. It's only a problem if it prevents action or causes panic. Only fools assume that hope is enough. Both of you have already engaged in adventures well beyond anything most people would dare to contemplate. So keep worrying and get on with it.

Rick

Pete's chance peas chant.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Pete's chance peas chant.

Rick

Ok I'll give peas a chant

Paperback E-book

Peace.
    For Pete's sake.

Rick

Worrying about what could go wrong is a good thing and a mark of intelligence. It's only a problem if it prevents action or causes panic. Only fools assume that hope is enough. Both of you have already engaged in adventures well beyond anything most people would dare to contemplate. So keep worrying and get on with it.

Rick

Rick is right of course

Of course!!

Rick

I saw that as "right off course" at first scan and wondered if he was heading out for a coastal adventure. Happily he is not lost. Sadly he is land locked. At least for now. That's what comes to a couple with two houses, two (+) boats and a little dog.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I saw that as "right off course" at first scan and wondered if he was heading out for a coastal adventure. Happily he is not lost. Sadly he is land locked. At least for now. That's what comes to a couple with two houses, two (+) boats and a little dog.

Despite being blown of course some of us still manage to arrive even if it is fashionably late , despite the two houses three boats and two dinghy’s Ok so I don’t have the dog but I have two grown men at home and they eat three times as much.

No need to worry Bruce, small boat small problems. Whenever something doesn't work out quite as planned it will likely be easily resolved... except maybe that bag of berley undies you carry around... that's a weird problem which might never be resolved which you should just leave in the too hard basket.

No need to worry Bruce, small boat small problems. Whenever something doesn't work out quite as planned it will likely be easily resolved... except maybe that bag of berley undies you carry around... that's a weird problem which might never be resolved which you should just leave in the too hard basket.

Too Hard Basket is maybe a good name for the laundry basket so long as you don't think about it too much.

Paperback E-book

Oh man! NO! NOOOOOO! Damn! Too late, thought about it too much. Bad bad crusty image.

Disgraceful.

Not entirely land locked ..... but yes, a bit bogged down in domestic oblig..... er, bliss! at present. But having fun anyway!

Rick

Disgraceful.

Not entirely land locked ..... but yes, a bit bogged down in domestic oblig..... er, bliss! at present. But having fun anyway!

Rick

And your little dog? How is the brave possum-chaser? He has impeccable taste in hobo sailors. I like him lots, especially his attitude. In fact I never met a dog while voyaging that I didn't like. I don't bite them and they don't bite me.

Paperback E-book

I miss Woody. Give him a pat from me.

Paperback E-book

Done.

He says he misses you too.

Rick

I'm working on attempt number three of the magical mystery kite. This time using kite material, kite string, a design that seems to fly and galley language in the sewing room.

It has high-vis ripstop nylon with a sort of trouser fly in the middle on the bottom. Somehow that makes it fly. Unlike the bulletproof one it can be sewn into shape. Unlike the trainer kite, which is sorta fun, it isn't super-efficient with a high lift/drag ratio and high angle of attack, so it just might be baggy and chutey enough to provide a low parking angle and some reasonable horizontal traction when parked.

Paperback E-book

I can see it now, ship's captain squinting ahead, what is that Hi Vis thing in the sky, a floating bogan?

I can see it now, ship's captain squinting ahead, what is that Hi Vis thing in the sky, a floating bogan?

I have quite a bit of material to play with so I should find something that comes close to requirements. If so I have a couple of Viking designs to choose from to paint on. They'll know who and what it is bearing down on them. I have a little bit of Swedish ancestry in the blood. The males of that bit of the family tended to maritime professions. Unfortunately I have not been able to trace back the ancestor further back than the ship he took to Australia. His last name is not in the fairly strict lexicon of Swedish names so something fishy happened when signing in on departure.

Paperback E-book

Viking! Cool. Your middle name isn't Eric by some chance?

Maybe the design would lend itself to screen printing (in case you wish to replicate on other items).