Results 1,996 to 2,030 of 2061

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The old sea dog himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woof

https://youtu.be/sXz7MBGmuN0

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The old sea dog himself

The look of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    The look of contentment.

All the more remarkable given the circumstances. I must admit to another lesson today. When launching a trailer boat at full low tide on a concrete ramp it is very difficult to achieve an air of nonchalance while lying on your back in super slippery brown slime in the shallows. Silently mouthing galley-level profanity words so as not to upset the little children fishing with their dads on the beach only gets people concerned, too. An old hobo on his back in six inches of freezing cold water, groaning, writhing, struggling to get up and silently mouthing things that a lip-reader would redden at is a recipe for either hysteria or ambulance-calling panic, depending on your empathy and sense of humour levels.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Is there any particular reason that you were lying in and rolling about in the ice cold mud Bruce ? Is this a launch requirement I haven't been told about ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Is there any particular reason that you were lying in and rolling about in the ice cold mud Bruce ? Is this a launch requirement I haven't been told about ?

I assure you I didn't get down into it on purpose. It just looked like normal seaweed stuff but it was as slippery as Teflon. I had the aft end of the boat hanging off the back of the trailer and when I went to give her a push something happened and the next thing I knew I was down in it with a wet arxe, and brown slime from toe to hat.

Paperback E-book

When launching my paradox, most ramps used were very slippery as you describe. When entering the water on foot the only safe way is to hang onto the trailer, and preferably to stand on some part of the trailer in preference to the ramp. Walking along the draw bar is less risky than walking on the ramp. However it turns out there are some other dangers too... at the end of the ramp there can be a sudden drop off formed when stink pots retrieve their boats by powering up onto their trailers. Only found out about this one day when I walked around the back of the trailer in thigh deep water, took one step further and was suddenly in shoulder deep water... even more reason to stand on the trailer whenever possible.

I built a walking platform of 5 planks on my trailer so I can stay on it while launching and retrieving my Scamp. I "softened" the ends so the bow can slide on more easily. Every public boat ramp I know of has a deep hole at the bottom from motorboats being power loaded.

Thank you gentlemen, noted for reference.
    Grateful Dead

I can only observe that Bruce's equilibrium had been completely restored by the time I turned up.

Miserably cold here. The only thing I've got done is a coat of varnish on anything woodish and a coat of paint on some tent pole joiners. Three days of council work this week instead of the usual two, and some rainy days ahead. I'm getting toey watching the weather and the calendar looking for an overnighter opportunity.

Paperback E-book

Supposed to be fine again next week after this lot blows through

Given the propensity I seem to have developed for falling off, falling in and falling down I am thinking about an 'away' trip from Largs up the river to the Port for the first try at an overnighter. Being close to home and civilisation won't stop me doing something dumb but it might make recovery easier.

Paperback E-book

23 up here, it's hell!
    Grateful Dead

23! That's not winter! Here is two beanies and two layers of thermals weather and a typical winter storm is doing blustery squally downpour things outside.

Two beanies and double thermals. Loooxury.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Two beanies and double thermals. Loooxury.

With all that gear on you won’t be swimming far if you miss a step ,just make sure you can get back aboard. Have fun.

23 up here, it's hell!
    Bloody drizzling all the time though. My son and a mate have just returned from a 4 day camp in the Nullum National Park.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

23! That's not winter! Here is two beanies and two layers of thermals weather and a typical winter storm is doing blustery squally downpour things outside.
    I was chatting to a Brit on Facebook, he was complaining about his mid Summer 23C ! I told him that was a nice mid Winter's day for me .... but don't visit Oz in Summer !
    Grateful Dead

Reached 49 here a couple of summers back. Actually wasn't too uncomfortable since this place also has very low humidity... but a bit warm to keep working on the boat. Would have been great scamp cruising weather.

In that weather I'd have been testing Romana's ability to sail south.

Paperback E-book

Agreed, exactly my plan too soon as the new boat is complete (assuming she floats right side up).

So when you go for your overnight cruise, will you have some kind of mattress? And what about mozzies? You might need to mount a Bofors anti aircraft gun on the foredeck just in case.

Agreed, exactly my plan too soon as the new boat is complete (assuming she floats right side up).

So when you go for your overnight cruise, will you have some kind of mattress? And what about mozzies? You might need to mount a Bofors anti aircraft gun on the foredeck just in case.
    How long until the new boat floats right side up??

Mattress: I'm going to start by trying a camping roll-up yoga-mat mattress which I borrowed from our daughter many years ago. It may not be sufficient. There's a self-inflating version that will be a good thing comfort-wise but I don't already have one of those, and they aren't cheap, and they take up more space when rolled up. I'll let you know how I go.

Mosquitoes: This time of year a good thick sleeping bag and a personal insect repellent. The only other thing that sort of makes sense is a swag, but that's going to be heavier again, bulkier, more expensive... so I'm going to play that by ear and see whether I can deter them by impregnating my skin and the edges of the tent with a horrible chemical repellant.

Foredeck: I'm actually thinking of doing a couple of things there. Navigation-wise I'm thinking of Navionics, plus other apps, on a small android tablet - maybe 8" - and one of the other apps might be a video feed from a camera on a controllable gimbal mount either peering out of the small vertical face of the forward bulkhead of the cuddly, over the foredeck, or on the prow. That may be a waste of effort or a dumb idea, but I get to try it out using parts already to hand and no mods to the boat. The 70W solar panel sits on the actual foredeck and pretty much covers it, so no room there for a Bofors or the like. Pity really.

I've been trying to find any more info on the net about kite boating, and it's disappointing. There's some nerdy-end discussion about ships, racing boats, and the idea of completely replacing a sailing rig with kites, but to be honest I think there are significant downsides to all of those. They don't address the user requirements that I'm seeking to cover at all. Amongst it all there is enough discussion around the topic to give me good clues as to the direction I'd need to go in, to try to put something in trial mode. Tantalisingly there are recurrent questions from others who have similar aims to mine, however the responses to their requests for knowledge and information tend to be met with a standard response i.e. "you're asking the wrong question, you should be trying to make a high-speed foiling racing craft or a large commercial vessel or a motorless motor yacht. It does seem that the requirement to put a kite in a high-load, "set-and-ignore" mode is not on the nerdy radar, as that's too boring. But I am slowly progressing and have at least three new things to be trialling.
    Paperback E-book

I found a 50mm thick self inflating mat in a Vinnies for $5. So keep an eye out for one. A lot of people don't know what they are.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Yeah I've read that and the stuff it links to. It has a focus based around high-tech automated systems to control large kites on what would otherwise pass for power pleasure yachts. There are other bits too, some of interest.

A common theme for the sort of thing I'm chasing seems to be around using a single skin NASA-derived or NPW style kite, with a low aspect ratio and a highish angle of attack, and a wing-and-a-prayer that you don't ditch it and sink it. The NPWC Falken I showed a litle while back may yet be the answer, or another kite of similar style and derivation. But it's going to be a bit of a slow experimental process.
    Paperback E-book

Will simple sled types work? Something I made a lot of once.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-05-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    Grateful Dead

Will simple sled types work? Something I made a lot of once.
    I'm pretty sure they would, and I'm half convinced they'll end up being the best answer, at least for the sort of idea I have in mind. That's sort of where I started out, proposing a two line sled of about 1 sq metre to use as a downwind emergency kite when the rig is broken, or it's too windy to raise the rig. My investigation has been diverted away to more nerdy kite types but the more I look the more I'm drawn back to a sled or a simplistic NPW kite that has a lot in common with a sparless sled. I had a nice template for a sparless sled here for a while but I don't know what I did with it. I'm also currently looking at a simple thing called a Stratta Bache (or Strata Bache) while I play with angle of attack on the kitesurfer training kite.
    Paperback E-book

Peter if you've got a template for a stable sled kite I'd love a copy please.

Paperback E-book

Sorry Bruce it was a long time ago, while you were sailing a catamaran. About 900 x 700 black plastic sheet with a vent in the middle. 2 coconut palm stiffeners.

Roughly like this .
    Grateful Dead

A heads up about inflatable mattresses Bruce , tomorrow at Aldi .
    https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-b...flating-mat-7/
    I've bought quite a bit of Aldi stuff and it tends to be pretty good.
    Grateful Dead

I do a bit of bush walking from time to time. Always used those closed cell foam mats for insulation from cold ground. Recently tried a self inflating mat for the first time. It (low profile hiking type) provided some comfort, and definitely much better insulation. There are bulkier self inflating mats aimed more at car camping. They must be pretty comfy. Swag mattresses are good, but it seems to me the self inflator has the advantage of being waterproof as well as more compact when you're under way... and maybe if it is inflated super hard you can go surfing on it.

(to answer your question, the new boat might float earlyish next year, getting close, more on geoffboat.weebly.com).

I have 2 of those mats, one I bought new and at vast expense for motorcycle camping years ago. The second came from Vinnies for $5. Both a fine and quite comfortable..
    Grateful Dead

Not sure if it counts as a mattress, but some years back I took a zodiac yacht tender (slatted floor type) way way up a mosquito infested hole called the Blackwood river until there were so many snags I could not even pole my way further up. Spent the night afloat sleeping in the bottom of the dinghy. Not very warm but slept anyway. Sort of a waterbed like experience. Kept the mozzies at bay with lots of bushman (80% DEET) and also kept a couple of mosquito coils burning all night. Sat the coils on a convenient rock alongside the dinghy. Pretty sure Bruce's Romana will be much more comfy than that dinghy.

Aldi have a self-inflating mat on sale tomorrow for $29.

Rick

PS This post is only for people who are too impulsive or lazy to read Peter's earlier post.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Aldi have a self-inflating mat on sale tomorrow for $29.

Rick

PS This post is only for people who are too impulsive or lazy to read Peter's earlier post.

Rick

I've written Aldi into the diary for tomorrow. I guess I can justify it at that price, and in a pinch I could lie and call it a personal rescue flotation device.

More important though is that I come up with a boom crutch or something like that. It has to work to keep the boom running along the centreline, high enough to allow the tent to set, and neat enough that the aft end of the tent doesn't need radical surgery. The boom can easily be slung higher and further aft of its sail trim position.

Paperback E-book