Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505960
Results 2,066 to 2,079 of 2079

Thread: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

Not Eric.

Yes screen printing would work well. The two motifs I have in mind are the 'running man' three legged thing, for the spinnaker kite, and the Raven banner symbol that has convoluted Viking significance.

One interpretation of the raven banner is that it represents the valkyries, who selected the best of fallen warriors to serve at Valhalla. Lots of other interwoven symbolic stuff but basically a Raven banner or flag is flown to instil fear and respect. The one flying the flag is indicating a willingness to fight and die, and an expectation of a glorious death and afterlife. It's the motif to go on the storm chute.

The little orange kite is 1.5 square metres and is a trial version of the storm chute. I have a reel of thin dyneema to use for the bridles and lines - it's another two-line kite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Romana de Scamp - Voyages and Adventures

So if I read correctly, you desire to instil fear from all those who dare to gaze upon the Hi Vis Raven secret weapon. Sounds exciting (a touch of swallows and amazons). Will you be raiding the local settlements to do what Vikings do best? Does this give a license to round up and run off with all the women folk in said settlements, or have modern Vikings been swept up political correctness?

BTW, where did you buy your dyneema? I have yet to see it appear in marine stores over my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    So if I read correctly, you desire to instil fear from all those who dare to gaze upon the Hi Vis Raven secret weapon. Sounds exciting (a touch of swallows and amazons). Will you be raiding the local settlements to do what Vikings do best? Does this give a license to round up and run off with all the women folk in said settlements, or have modern Vikings been swept up political correctness?

BTW, where did you buy your dyneema? I have yet to see it appear in marine stores over my way.

The kite string dyneema is from a kite string mob on eBay. I spent hours umming and aaring and finally just picked one out. You can get all sorts of lengths, thicknesses, braiding etc. this one is probably rebadged dyneema fishing line.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That looks like Uhmwpe.

I was wondering about that too, thought it wasn't quite the same as dyneema... but it is a while since I last studied up on the chemistry of all the current crop of fibres so maybe I'm just confused.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultr...t_polyethylene

Dyneema is uhmwpe spun through spinnarets giving a directional consistency to most of the very long chain molecules, resulting in very high tensile strength.

The kite line may or may not be able to be branded 'Dyneema' however it is 90kg rated breaking strain for 0.6mm dia, and meets my requirements. It's sold as dyneema and is chemically the same stuff. Happy to do load tests on a sample.

Paperback E-book

I was jus pullin yer chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I was jus pullin yer chain.

Was that a Dyneema chain or one of those old fashioned metal thingies?

Paperback E-book

Dont go getting all stroppy.

Phew um .... confused.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultr...t_polyethylene

Dyneema is uhmwpe spun through spinnarets giving a directional consistency to most of the very long chain molecules, resulting in very high tensile strength.

The kite line may or may not be able to be branded 'Dyneema' however it is 90kg rated breaking strain for 0.6mm dia, and meets my requirements. It's sold as dyneema and is chemically the same stuff. Happy to do load tests on a sample.

No doubt the strength is fine. If there is any difference I would think it would be in creep, but that's not relevant to your application.

Uhmwpe does sound creepy.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Uhmwpe does sound creepy.

Rick
    The fear instilling raven will be controlled with a creepy thing. Groovy!

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    The fear instilling raven will be controlled with a creepy thing. Groovy!

If it flies.

I'm afraid I'm becoming pessimistic again. I'll believe it works when I've tested it. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with other jobs and I'm wondering how to do the loops that hold the bridle strings to the kite. I'm thinking I might sew on little ripstop tabs with oompee string loops embedded in them. Probably over thinking it.

Paperback E-book