Page 1 of 45 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Romana de Scamp

Default Romana de Scamp

I'm two years into a six month build, and there's no guarantee that it will ever end, or end successfully, but someone asked me to make a build thread here.

I'm building a SCAMP, designed by John Welsford and produced/promoted by the Small Craft Advisor folks. I've previously built a cedar strip racing rowing scull under the tutelage of Graeme King, and that works well. People that know me, and what I'm (in)capable of, were astounded. Me too.

[IMG]scamp-065 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

This Scamp is a little bit unusual but not so much that you'd flinch. Any materials I could scrounge, I've scrounged, and I've lashed out and bought what I have to. I'm building it in a tiny tin shed which only just has room for Romana, some tools and me. We have some interesting times coming up when I roll her over and work on her bottom for a while.

A couple of interesting things that might illustrate my approach. So far I've used four kinds of plywood: Australian plantation hoop pine ply, Malaysian cheap rubbish, Malaysian more expensive OK ply, and some home made Western Red Cedar panels for things like the fore deck, cuddy top and sides. The timbers I've used so far include Pauwlonia, WRC, Douglas Fir, Spruce, Hoop Pine, Celery Top Pine and Huon Pine. I have some Teak for rubbing rails later on.

I'm at the stage of having all the planks attached to the frame and I'm looking at what I will have to do next that will allow me to work on the underside, including screwing and gluing the skegs on. I'm not going to be happy just to glue them on, so a slight change to the building instructions is being done.

I have a well used waily chair which only just fits in the shed with us.

Romana has, after two years of being in a relationship with me, somewhat of a personality. She has her own Facebook page and would welcome new 'likes' if you swing the FB way.
    https://www.facebook.com/RomanaGypsyLady

Enough words for now.

Bruce in Largs, South Australia
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Romana de Scamp

Yay, good to see Romana with a thread of her own. I know we are in for a bit of a treat as your pics and videos find their way here

I forgot Jarrah. I have some Jarrah mini-cleats that will become the slide supports for the thwart rowing seat. I'm thinking I'll align myself to the hipster Sail and Oar crowd unless I can resurrect a 4 HP Johnson that a friend threw out. So, yeah, rowing.

There are a few photos of this drawn out affair if you are interested.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/905257...7632120834300/

There's a heap of self indulgent videos on youtube too if you go searching for them. You could waste a lot of time there if you want.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The planks are now all glued, screwed and stitched, with the stitches removed and the glue going harder by the minute. It's already around 90%. I have sort of made it to my goal of having all the planks on by the end of September, although there is still cleaning up, filleting, glassing, hole filling to do before I cross off the last sub-tasks in that set.

The next things are to get the gunwales on, and to get the seat tops on. I've dry fitted the seat tops several times along the way of the build to make sure all is good. The last dry fit is in progress, with a little bit of easing to be done here and there. Then they will be finally glued and screwed in place, and the strong box shape will be further braced. It's already as stiff as anything.

I have several bits of timber as candidates for use as carlins and gunwales. I have some twisty Celery Top Pine, and the twisting may work in my favour if I play my cards right. I've also got a good stack of Douglas Fir that is knotty in parts but has good long straight-grained sections between the knots. None of these timber pieces are long enough in themselves to do a single length of carlin or gunwale so scarfing is required, and hence the knots are no issue at all. I started late this afternoon ripping down the DF, running off strips that will end up 10mm thick x 30mm wide. These will become two laminations, on edge, of the gunwales, if my plans don't change. I'm a bit doubtful about being able to bend this stuff in the beautiful shapes that form the sweeping sheer and curvaceous plan shape, but we will soon see I guess.

Here's a bit of work in progress going through the ripper, a 9" circular saw with tungsten blades, in a Triton bench. We've had this combo now for around 30 years and it is still going strong, woofing through wood as hard as teak, but that's another story for later on.

[IMG]scamp-066 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Paperback E-book

Looks great Bruce! Why Romana? Hmm, lucky it's not Morana .......

Rick

Good question. Romana as a name for this Scamp has two somewhat related areas of familiarity. What struck me about this design from the very first time I started looking at it was how this set of compromises seems to get so much into such a tiny little ship. At 3.6 metres LOA it's a nano-cruiser, and to some extent it seems to be larger on the inside than it is on the outside. So it's like a TARDIS. In the Dr Who series there was a female Time Lord called Romana. In my youth I lusted after her on the TV, and it's somewhat fitting that I acknowledge that in the naming of this boat. The other mental connection is that the name Romana is a sideways reference to the Romany people, who live on very little, travel widely in small (sometimes bigger than they seem) mobile homes. It's yet to be proven whether this Scamp will be suitable for the waters around South Australia, however if she does perform well there is the possibility of taking trips away, doing an 'old man derro' living on a boat for a few days to a couple of weeks perhaps. The name stuck immediately that I thought of it, and I must say that the still-to-be-completed little cruiser has a personality that suits the name. Many is the hour I've sat out in the shed with her over the last couple of years and moaned about the vagaries of growing old in a hostile economic environment that doesn't want old men in the work force.
    Paperback E-book

Excellent Bruce! The world needs to see Romana! .... the whole Scamp design is really interesting and I've been watching with interest.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Just a thought...
    has no one extended the porch back one more station and made a true micro cruiser?
    Ok the cockpit would be somewhat smaller but the benefit of a enclosed place to crash out seems great ??
    A bit like tread lightly?
    James

Thanks for " coming out " Bruce. I'm a fan of the little pug too. Maybe one day.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesh View Post
    Just a thought...
    has no one extended the porch back one more station and made a true micro cruiser?
    Ok the cockpit would be somewhat smaller but the benefit of a enclosed place to crash out seems great ??
    James
    There's certainly plenty of cockpit space there to do that James. Maybe even leave the design as is and add a pull-out extenda-tent thing aft from the veranda bulkhead. For me, the wide open cockpit space makes sense, and a tent fly from a 2 person dome tent over the cockpit would give good sitting headroom in a semi-dry (not storm proof) 'cabin' but kneeling only, not standing, headroom.

For little blokes like me the veranda is useful as it is. I'm a shade under 175cm tall and about 75 Kg weight, and I can sit in the veranda with my back to the bulkhead and my feet out in the weather, or slouch athwartships in the veranda with my back to the port cabin side. A sling seat might even make that athwartships position viable as a crash-berth. I am pretty small though. Otherwise, you could build a Tread Lightly
    Paperback E-book

After dinner I went back out to the shed to see just how difficult it will be to bend the 30mm x 10mm Douglas Fir gunwale strips to the sheer. I probably don't have enough clamps, I don't have the requisite four arms, and I definitely don't have sufficient vocabulary in the area of imaginative profanity.

When I was a kid a Croatian family migrated to Australia and moved in across the other side of the busy main road we lived on. A shed went up, and a huge boat began to take shape. The old man was a boat builder of enormous woodworking skills and a repertoire of swear words that was mind boggling. He fell in love with Australia, and took up all things Aussie, including having a pet galah that 'helped' build the boats. That galah could swear in several languages. I've always taken it as read that boat builders swear, since then, and tonight I had a crack at it myself.

If there are trade secrets to share, or a set of steps and processes, please feel free to whack me with the clue stick.
    Paperback E-book

Wonderful to see Romana out of the closet Bruce, would a few home made ones from ply and wedges do the job for you? Like these ones but cut from ply scraps:

Meanwhile, just to keep you smiling while you're building.......(after all, would you really want this sweet thing to hear you swearing??)

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Shoot- this means that my boat will be named Jamie Sommers!

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    If there are trade secrets to share, or a set of steps and processes, please feel free to whack me with the clue stick.

Bruce,
    You don't need hints, Romana will help you. I find when you lean over and bang your head on a clamp, you step over a frame but slam your shins into it instead or when a gunwale or stringer slips off the clamp and cracks you inspiration for swearing will come to you naturally.

Nice work so far.

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Very thoughtful name Bruce! I like it a lot!
    Rick

OK so I've stopped daydreaming over the photo of Lalla Ward. Back in the shed this morning finalising the planking, filleting, filling, sanding, epoxy coating and glassing. Stage 1 done, some epoxy coating and glassing to be completed when this lot has set up. In the meantime I'm preparing the gunwales. I've ripped more of the Douglas Fir into 10mm x 30mm strips and I'm starting to set up to scarf lengths together. As well, I've decided to also use a plank of Celery Top Pine that I've been pondering about. It is bowed and twisted, and it just happens that I can use both distortions to advantage to get a head start on bending them to the sheer. So I'll most likely have one thickness of CTP and one of DF on each side.

What I need now and don't have is a thickness planer. I'll do a bit of investigation this arvo while I'm out and about with a TS 16 owner checking on work being done to his boat by a local builder.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesh View Post
    Just a thought...
    James
    How about we add a foot, and come up with this:

http://jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/treadlightly/index.htm

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Bruce, on the plans it has sheet layout but with the puzzle joints for long bits have you found that the layout works ok for you? What joints are you using for long bits, scarfs?

Andrew the sheet layouts in the plans are for pre-cut kits. The components including the puzzle joins are laser cut or waterjet cut. If you buy plans only, as I did, you get to do your own sheet layouts. I based mine on the kit layouts with a couple of exceptions. I ended up getting Bulkhead 7 in one piece, not two, and I did Payson Butt Joins for the planks and hull bottom. The other difference with mine is that I made several pieces out of WRC instead of ply, such as the cabin top and sides, foredeck, and coamings. That threw a bit of a spanner into the kits sheet layouts. To maximise effectiveness of the sheet layouts I cut out to scale paper prints of all the remaining ply bits and set them out by hand. It wasn't a big deal and it helped get my head into the whole thing. The way the drawings are done it's a breeze to draw out and cut out the pieces from sheets of ply. It's not a lofting job at all really, just a simple drafting job.

If I was starting again I'd probably use some sort of biscuit or bow-tie joint or something like that rather than butt joints.
    Paperback E-book

I found a friendly boat builder who has a small thickness planer, and he's happy for me to come in and talk boats and run my gunwale strips through it. I'm busy the next two days driving the council van, then we have a long weekend and nothing's open, so I may not get much progress over the next week.

I've almost convinced myself to put a peg in the ground and declare that by the end of October I should have the hull bottom glassed. To get there I need to complete the clean up after planking, make the seat tops fit again, finish inside under the seats and glue/screw the tops down, join and glue on the gunwale and carlins, flip the boat over onto a temp table, prepare the underside - various bits, buy the glass, and glass the bottom. At my pace it sounds like a big load, but let's see how close it comes.
    Paperback E-book

Hang in there Bruce! You're just savoring your SCAMP build. You certainly get the prize for building in the smallest SCAMP building space. If you're anything like me, the building is the most fun part anyways.

Nice to see Romana out on the WBF, Bruce! Keep up the great work, we're all rooting for your flip before the end of the month!

Cheers,
    Dale

The current critical task set is attaching the gunwales. Until this is done I won't feel safe in flipping Romana over. I have some material to make the gunwales from, ripped down to around 10mm x 30mm, and it needs to be dressed. I found a friendly local boatbuilder with a thicknesser, who was happy to let me run the strips through, but they had a bit of an emergency on Friday and shut the shop, so I was looking like losing a whole long weekend of working. Then Adrian stepped up and offered me the use of his thicknesser this afternoon. Thank you mate!

When Adrian and I were discussing options, one was for me to mount our electric plane onto the table saw table on thicknessed blocks, and to push the strips through. It sounded a bit clunky. After a night's sleep though I am thinking that it would be a good thing to have worked out for future use, at least to know if would work or not. if it did work it would be adding another tool to the workshop. So this morning I will be having a play to see if it is a viable idea or just another dumb one. Pictures may follow depending on whether it works or not.
    Paperback E-book

Very clunky as you'd have no roller to push the timber through at consistent speed. It would be easier to just use the planer as a planer.

Rick

When Adrian and I were discussing options, one was for me to mount our electric plane onto the table saw table on thicknessed blocks, and to push the strips through. It sounded a bit clunky. After a night's sleep though I am thinking that it would be a good thing to have worked out for future use, at least to know if would work or not. if it did work it would be adding another tool to the workshop. So this morning I will be having a play to see if it is a viable idea or just another dumb one. Pictures may follow depending on whether it works or not.

Fine work on Romana Bruce!

I`m building with a rather sparse set of tools too , wished so many times for even a table saw.
    Making some casement windows for the shantyboat right now , and its hard going without " proper " tools for the job.
    They will not be perfect , but I`ll make it somehow.If there was a " next time " I would invest in a jointer and good table saw for sure.

Will be interesting to see what you can come up with.

Well it worked, if a bit clunky. It's not a good replacement for a thicknesser but a good standby option for a job that can tolerate a bit of imperfection. It's defs at least a two person job, and three would be better - one holding/operating the plane, one feeding timber in, one feeding timber out.

Here's the timber thickness gauges and guides. For this trial I just taped the guides down but there are many better solutions possible.
    [IMG]thickness-planer-001 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

The fore plate was set to max height to allow the timber to slip in to the blades.
    [IMG]thickness-planer-002 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

A test bit of material to be planed, sitting between the guides.
    [IMG]thickness-planer-003 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

The plane strapped down elastically to allow it to float somewhat above the irregularities of the medium. It was hand held and the switch was hand operated. I really don't think it would be viable to do this job without someone's hands on the plane.
    [IMG]thickness-planer-004 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Job done. Rough as guts but adequate for the task. Had it come out fine planed it would put the gluing in jeopardy in the next step. Well that's my story. It's actually not really rough as guts relative to my other work, but your mileage may vary.

[IMG]thickness-planer-005 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Paperback E-book

Neat! I'm impressed!

Rick

I reckon if you attached the plane nice and solid, say with big mutha zip ties, you could feed stock through that all day long. Nice job!!

Thanks guys

Lessons:
    Mount the plane with the dust-eject away from the working side
    Make the guides full length of the table and just plane out a depression for the blade cut area
    Zip tie the plane to restrain it's float movement. It still needs to allow the leading edge of the timber in under so use a bungy as well. Maybe restraining fences either side of the plane??
    If using single handed rig up a quick power shut off switch in case it goes feral.
    Buy the missus flowers for being the plane hand that got showered in detritus. What that poor woman puts up with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

Thanks guys

Lessons:
    It still needs to allow the leading edge of the timber in under so use a bungy as well. Maybe restraining fences either side of the plane??

Id say theres a limit to how deep a cut you should try to make in one pass. You may need a set of different depth guides, work your way down through them, just as you would wind up a thicknesser to get the desired thickness over several passes.

Flowers? Buy the woman a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I reckon if you attached the plane nice and solid, say with big mutha zip ties, you could feed stock through that all day long. Nice job!!
    No, this would be simpler and safer:

Rick

Well done Bruce .... courageous Minister !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks guys

Lessons:
    Mount the plane with the dust-eject away from the working side
    Make the guides full length of the table and just plane out a depression for the blade cut area
    Zip tie the plane to restrain it's float movement. It still needs to allow the leading edge of the timber in under so use a bungy as well. Maybe restraining fences either side of the plane??
    If using single handed rig up a quick power shut off switch in case it goes feral.
    Buy the missus flowers for being the plane hand that got showered in detritus. What that poor woman puts up with...

Brilliant Bruce, very innovative . You should be able to use the knee-switch/safety switch on the Triton table as a quick shut off.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yes of course. I thought of that but for some stupid reason discounted it. Der. Anyway, next sub task is scarf the gunwale strips.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-04-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    Paperback E-book

Scarfing the gunwale strips. These strips are 10mm x 30mm at lengths a bit short of the gunwale length. The plan is to epoxy glue the strips to length, then bring them and glue them one thickness at a time to the sheer, gluing, clamping and screwing them into place as I fit them.

I'm using a drop saw to get 6:1 scarf cuts, about as long a scarf as I can reasonably achieve with this saw.

Here's the saw with the foot angle set, a square clamped to the back plate and the first test cut about to be made.
    [IMG]gunwale-scarf-001 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

The first cut.
    [IMG]gunwale-scarf-002 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Setting up to make cut #2.
    [IMG]gunwale-scarf-003 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cut 2 not as nice, and the grain in this end of this piece is less than ideal, but there ya go.
    [IMG]gunwale-scarf-004 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now moving everything to the front veranda to clean up and glue up the scarfs. I have many workshops and only one shed. The saw support table in the pics in this post is a cast aluminium thing with 2 matching chairs that came out of my Dad's foundry. I also have a cast bell-bronze bell of his, and a head full of memories.
    Paperback E-book