Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Bandwagon, Big Food, Hornpipe & Rowan do the Broughton Archipelago

Default Re: Bandwagon, Big Food, Hornpipe & Rowan do the Broughton Archipelago

Thanks Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Tim, it looked very light air. Did Hornpipe get speed with a narrow waterline in light air and length in stronger air more so than the others? Is she more tender though? Only seen an Alaska at a boat show and she seemed very long and thin, more than I'm used too habitually at least. Does it jostle in chop more than Rowan or not?
    As you may have noted, on this trip I brought along my yawl rig for Hornpipe, which is about 25 ft2 less sail area than the original ketch rig. With less sail area you simply won't move as fast in light air although I generally kept up with the other boats. On the previous trip that we all did together in the Broken Group when I had the ketch rig I noticed that in very light air all that extra sail area made a difference and I would generally pull ahead of Big Food and Bandwagon, but not necessarily Rowan, but then I usually had to reef earlier when it breezed up.

Hornpipe is narrower for her length than the other boats though, which is part of the reason why I built the yawl rig. I now have a wider range of wind speeds before having to reef. I also find that it is a much handier rig for the many rapid transitions from sail to oar and back that are required on a trip like this.

When there is lots of wind, all the boats pretty much hit their hull speeds and then some. The day when we were sailing downwind in Retreat Channel to Echo Bay, I was using my old mizzen, at one point with a reef in it, and was still hitting hull speed, and keeping up to Rowan, who had 3 reefs in. As I recall, we all arrived at Echo Bay at about the same time after about 4 hours of sailing.

I wouldn't say Hornpipe jostles in a chop, unless the chop is not accompanied by a breeze, but that is a problem for most boats.
    Last edited by AJZimm; 09-23-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: correct a logic error
    Alex

A man in an open shirt, sat gazing out to sea; A young man, a hale man, and I wished that I were he and that the things that I loved were as they used to be
    - Geoffrey Holdsworth

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Um. . .Alex? I have to jump in and say that's not exactly what I remember. I was not only trolling with the drag of a hoochie and flasher on a downrigger for much of that run, I was luffing and feathering a lot, to stay closer with the group for that more exposed part of the crossing, both for emotional security and for taking pictures. And I never went below two reefs the entire trip, nor felt like I was close to it. You may recall that after I gave up on fishing and reeled in the drag from the trolling, Rowan got way up that channel, quick. I was sitting in the lee of that bay, eating lunch afloat when you guys got there.

I think it's important to be accurate here. The narrower boat is certainly easier to row. But I was most definitely holding back more than a little bit on that run, not wanting to get too separated, heading for an unknown destination. I don't think it can be entirely said that the "all arrived at Echo Bay around the same time" is due to too much beyond strategy. Each set of compromises has its own boundaries and limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Um. . .Alex? I have to jump in and say that's not exactly what I remember. I was not only trolling with the drag of a hoochie and flasher on a downrigger for much of that run, I was luffing and feathering a lot, to stay closer with the group for that more exposed part of the crossing, both for emotional security and for taking pictures. And I never went below two reefs the entire trip, nor felt like I was close to it. You may recall that after I gave up on fishing and reeled in the drag from the trolling, Rowan got way up that channel, quick. I was sitting in the lee of that bay, eating lunch afloat when you guys got there.

I think it's important to be accurate here. The narrower boat is certainly easier to row. But I was most definitely holding back more than a little bit on that run, not wanting to get too separated, heading for an unknown destination. I don't think it can be entirely said that the "all arrived at Echo Bay around the same time" is due to too much beyond strategy. Each set of compromises has its own boundaries and limitations.
    I stand corrected. I thought I remembered 3 reefs for Rowan but clearly not.

I think it is safe to say that Rowan is kind of in a class by herself in many respects. She's nearly 2 feet longer overall than the next shorter boat and not sure what her waterline is but it may be also comparably longer. She is a very capable boat.
    Last edited by AJZimm; 09-23-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Alex

A man in an open shirt, sat gazing out to sea; A young man, a hale man, and I wished that I were he and that the things that I loved were as they used to be
    - Geoffrey Holdsworth

Damn, you were trolling on that run!!

The two boats that went to three reefs as I recall on that run were bandwagon and hornpipe (same beam), though not till nearly the very end. Interesting to me that Tim hung on with two reefs, honestly I was spooked in the narrower nowhere to get out channel when it seemed to breeze up a bit more. I think big food is about 4 inches wider than bandwagon (carries more sail too), interesting. So how hard does anybody think it was blowing?

I tend to think Big Food's skipper is just an amazing helmsman and had a cool hand when it mattered the most. That's all.
    Yeadon is right, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.

When you yawl guys are on a run like that and feel the need to shorten sail.... Do you drop come up into the wind with the mizzen close in or do you keep on the run? Or what?

I'm loving this open banter by you all. (no hint of a bad pun here)

Yes, I'd turn back up into the wind, sheet in the mizzen, drop the main, tie in my reef, haul the halyard back up, sheet out the mizzen, then turn down wind and continue along.
    Yeadon is right, of course.
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.

^ I would think to do anything else would be dangerous.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

I've really enjoyed this thread, great to see the area.

Hear, hear! A wonderful thread, good respectful banter, and an adventure in an area many can only dream of! Thanks to you all for the postings!!

Cheers,
    Dale

I always heave-to, head to wind, for shortening sail. Occasionally I will shake a reef out on the fly, untying the reef points and then slacking the tack and clew cringles before hoisting away, but usually I just drop it for that too, for less work. It's so nearly effortless and easy to heave-to and drop sail with the lug yawl rig, that it's simply more effort to try to get away with not doing it, and put up with the luffing sail flogging and flapping away.

What a neat trip! The whales and dolphins were awesome. Love those cedar trees too. Looks like a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing.

As for bears. Well, yes they are always on my mind. I had a Brown Bear 10 ft from my front door the other day. One of my coworkers was doing a stream survey a couple weeks ago and got bit in the ankle and drug through the woods. He sprayed it at point blank range and it let go. It bit through his waders and jeans. Like Terry said, driving is more dangerous. I worry more about doing something stupid while boating than anything else. But bears can be creepy

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I tend to think Big Food's skipper is just an amazing helmsman and had a cool hand when it mattered the most. That's all.
    Some truth in that.

Yeadon is seriously very good at this 3D chess game. Credit to my other friends as well.

On this run I think both Tim and James were wearing dry suits. Another item on the list.

The 18 will be a big step up in volume from the 16

Good story told from different perspectives. Well done, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    On this run I think both Tim and James were wearing dry suits. Another item on the list.
    I have a closed-cell bib overall and a floater coat instead of a dry suit. I had them along and I should have been wearing them on that run but wasn't.
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

It's been a delayed spring here in the northern hemisphere and in here the PNW, where we believe we should have a fair amount of sunshine by now, we feel aggrieved. So I have been looking at pictures from past trips and found these from the 2014 Broughton Group trip, that I hadn't posted before. Thought people might like to see them while waiting for the weather to break and while dreaming of boating yet to come. Hard to believe it was 3 1/2 years ago.

First morning on the water, shortly after setting out - The James

Now its Tim's turn

A bit of wind and a male Orca transiting between the boats, or maybe wondering whether he could eat Tim's boat - it is named Big Food after all

Downwind south along Johnstone Strait
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

Morning at Mound Island and the ocean has gone away overnight

But not for all of us

Lunch on the beach later that day at Mamillilikula village
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

On the Parks dock at Echo Bay; rather than maintain it, they put up at notice saying it is abandoned

But it was still sound enough to serve as a base of operations for the near-daily crab feast

It's a pretty spectacular setting

Next morning the fog had rolled in
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

The beach on Insect Island was none too roomy for clothesline moorings for 4 boats

But it was a snug anchorage overnight

View from the breakfast table next morning was fine
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

I was being chased by pirates out of Fife Sound

Fortunately they were distracted by Humpback Whale sightings

And the scenery
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

Evening at anchor in Booker Lagoon was surreally calm and quiet

Next day rowing across Queen Charlotte Strait was also calm. Reminded me of the line from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner "like a painted ship on a painted ocean"
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

Waiting in Freshwater Bay for the turn of the tide in Blackney Passage. Didn't even have to anchor, just sat in the kelp

I wasn't alone

But it was finally time to go - which chart should I be looking at?
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

Final evening on the beach at the Blinkhorn Peninsula, re-hydrating after the day's exertions

While Tim and Eric and I had lounged in the sun earlier in Freshwater Bay, James had industriously caught a Ling Cod that weighed 12 lbs gutted. Of course the fillets had to be grilled on an open fire.

The fire made for quiet reflection later, or maybe it was just post-prandial stupor

Sunset was beautiful

As was dawn next morning as we rowed around the end of the Blinkhorn Peninsula and out into the Strait for the last pull to the haulout
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

Thank you Alex.

Jeff

Wonderful!
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

I needed that Alex.

Don't we live in just the most gorgeous place on earth?

Beautiful pictures! Ah, if I was 25 years younger...
    Question: Since James has been in Singapore with no mention of moving back anytime soon, what has become of ROWAN? Is she sitting under a tarp somewhere forlorn and forgotten or being used by someone?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I saw some guy using it to haul rocks the other day.

Hi James!

And what has being 25 years older got to do with it? Your fantail launch would do very well here, and it's a really nice drive across Canada. You might have a problem with getting swarmed by appreciative fine workmanship admirers on the way across, but once you get here it's not hard to get lost. You won't want to leave, believe me.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 04-18-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Morning at Mound Island and the ocean has gone away overnight
    Life sure seems easier without tides to worry about...

Thanks for the pics, Alex.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Life sure seems easier without tides to worry about...

Tom
    Yup, it would be.

The tides up and down the coast vary pretty dramatically, although we're not talking about Ungava Bay ranges. Here the max range is in the neighbourhood of 16 feet if I recall.
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

Lovely stuff, and quite inspiring.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Lovely stuff, and quite inspiring.
    Thanks.

The further it recedes into the past, the more epic the trip was

But seriously, it was a great trip.
    Alex

- Geoffrey Holdsworth

Top cruising ground, beautiful boats, excellent photos. Thanks.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    I saw some guy using it to haul rocks the other day.

Hi James!

And what has being 25 years older got to do with it? Your fantail launch would do very well here, and it's a really nice drive across Canada. You might have a problem with getting swarmed by appreciative fine workmanship admirers on the way across, but once you get here it's not hard to get lost. You won't want to leave, believe me.
    I just assumed my motorized launch (even though it is electric) would be a sacrilege amongst the PNW Sail and Oar crowd. Then again, it does have a set of oars for auxiliary use....
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.