Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peterborough Zephyr 14' runabout

Default Peterborough Zephyr 14' runabout

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have built a few wooden boats but this will be my first classic boat restoration. I picked it up for free last week. The boat seems to be a Peterborough Zephyr. Not sure the year but it appears it could be as far back as the early forties, more likely mid 1950's. It is 14' long, 52" beam, 19" depth amidship.

Needs a few planks, ribs, the usual I guess.

Default Re: Peterborough Zephyr 14' runabout

Great looking project. Looks like someone was stripping the inside with a high pressure wash?

Pretty rare tow vehicle too....haven't seen one of those in decades

Thanks. PO started scraping the inside- paint is not adhered properly so much of it just flakes off.

Got the plywood deck off and mostly solid under there...

And glued up some split planks up top...

Working on getting the spray rails off, then I will flip it and start replanking and refinishing the outside.

Well I finally got a little more time in this morning. It took about 2/hours to get one sprail rail off due to it being attached with fiberglass cloth wrapped around it and many very rusted screws. Now on to the other side!

Found an easy way to get the gunwales off. There are tons of screws and nails through them both from the inside of the planking and from the inwales. I ran a circular saw down the length and cut the gunwales close to the planking, and cutting through all the fasteners. After that it was easy to pry off the thin strip of gunwale remaining.

Almost ready to flip!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

jebus the sparks were flying I bet!!
    Double cab pick up is sure cool too
    red cedar? she looks to be in good shape.

Yup, appears to be red cedar and oak ribs, etc. Hull is pretty solid. I will. Ow move on to replacing a few planks.

Flipped

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

What kind of power and speed did this kind of boat get?
    She appears to be hooked a bit, maybe it will not matter if she is not expected to be real fast?

By 'hooked' I presume you mean the way it hollows a bit lengthwise along the bottom? Hard to say if that is intentional or not. Some planing designs like Weston Farmer's Trumpet have this intentionally built into the hull shape. It has sat for a long while so I am guessing it is just sagging, but who knows.

The closest I could find was a Peterborough 16 and it was rated for 18hp. I am guessing 15ho for this and maybe 15 knots?

Anyway, have not done much due to other projects, but finally got a 1/2 hour to assess what's next. A heat gun and scraper seems to be better than sanding so that will come first. Then a full sand. It' s literally twice the work I thought!

You can see in the foreground that it should come out nice:

Well I finally got a tiny bit of work done on this. Spent about an hour with the heat gun and scraper. Should be at least another 8-10 hours of this and then I can start on cutting out planks. I don't think a bright finish will be an option...the hull is pretty full of deep scratches and gouges. There is a thin layer of fiberglass cloth in patches all over that needs to be removed. You can barely see the line near the scraper- I scraped everything in the foreground.

Nice boat. Congratulations for getting it at such a reasonable price. i'm guessing that she was stored under cover considering her overall condition and age. I'm currently building a boat which is remarkably similar to this one ( John Atkin's Quickstep-14' x 4'10" 1949) It has the same reverse curve to the underside and is strip planked as well. My question is what the fasteners are (galv./bronze-nails-screws?) The plans I've got call for the planks to be edge-nailed. I'm curious to see if your boat is built the same way. I really appreciate the photos. I haven't seen too many boats like this and it is enlightening to come across one. Please keep posting. Any sign of a steering console at some point or strictly a tiller affair?

Nice find, it'll be even nicer once the work is done. But that van is just awesome. I would like to get myself a vanagon type vehicle. That way I could tow my Penobscot with it and camp in it wherever and whenever. But my wife isn't the camping type so we have a compromise which is that we will never, ever, get such a vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo55 View Post

My question is what the fasteners are (galv./bronze-nails-screws?)

Any sign of a steering console at some point or strictly a tiller affair?
    Fasteners appear to be copper nails, clenched into oak ribs. Boards are face nailed but are also shiplap boards. There was no evidence on this boat of an original steering wheel, though it appears the original boats mostly had a wheel and wood seats with seatbacks up front. I will probably work towards that again. If it means just getting out in it sooner, though, I will use a tilller from the back until I get time to do the steering and console...

Shiplap. It seems that when it comes to strippers there are two main schools of thought, bead&cove and flat edged. That answers a question I had when viewing your photos-namely, the fasteners being so far off center of the planks. Makes sense now. Those seams are tight. Kinda riding on your coat tails here as you proceed. Hope ya don't mind. The instructions I have for my boat are pretty marginal so i'm having to provide certain answers for myself. The designer recommend rivets every third rib for the planking but when I add up the number of planks and ribs it gets to be ridiculous. Copper ring shanks or clenchers make a lot more sense. . thanks for the thread.

For what it's worth, I have build 2 strip boats- one flat sedge and one bead and cove. Now my boats were both "modern" epoxy encapsulated construction, but I would say the extra work of milling beads and coves was well worth it. Not only do you get a flawless fit every time, but it' so easy. The planking goes so much more quickly. It's really satisfying.

I love the plan you have chosen. I am a big Atkin fan. My last build was 'Bruce Conklin'. It is a beautiful row boat and rows beautifully as promised. But I want something fast (15 knots is fast to me!) as well, so this one should satisfy my need for speed.

Here's the worst of it...

a few new planks, most or all of a new transom.. Easy peasy! Just debating whether to try to cut in a new section of transom or replace it entirely.. Also figuring if i should shorten the boat to get rid of those plank ends. And thinking if i will do a clear finish or paint the hull white. Original boats were bright on the topsides with a painted hull below the spray rail. But I also really like the look ok a white hull with gleaming wood decks. Anyway..scraping is coming along... Getting the 'glass off:

Default Hull stripped!

Well, she don't look much different but I assure you a lot of time was taken to get to this point. Hull is stripped of all fibreglass cloth.

Transom replacement is next!

Quote Originally Posted by junichi View Post
    [/URL]
    Nice Doka! Now tell me it's a diesel?

Oh, and the Peterborough is sweet too.... and a long way from home out in BC.

I sure wish it was a diesel.. Maybe some day.

I'm certainly no expert at restoration, but from what I understand, shortening the boat and replacing the transom are a common way of dealing with this issue -- and shouldn't impact the handling much if the removed bit is under 6".
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thanks for the reassurance- that is exactly my plan!

Sorry for the upside down pic...the transom knee says 353SS60, I think. It doesn't seem to match any Peterborough model numbers I've seen. Does anyone know what this means?

Maybe 3538S60??

Cant help you with the number...wondering what makes you think its a Peterborough specifically. Could it be a Lakefield or Geisler? All three mentioned were made a long, long way away from you...could it be from a builder local to you?

Thanks for chiming in- it's a good question. I am just going off the previous owner's assertion that it's a Peterborough. I also found something saying the routered strip on the thwarts is a Peterborough signature. But that's all I have. The number is my best clue, but I haven't been able to dig anything up on it.

Ready to start beveling the transom.

Finally starting to fit the transom..

Transom fitted and fastened.