Page 97 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4787969798 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,395 of 3570

Thread: The Harbor Master Called me Today

Default Re: The Harbor Master Called me Today

So . . . now it goes backwards?
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

I'll bet it always wanted to go transom first, and is now ready to express it's true boat self.
    -Dave

I think you have the right of it Dave.

It’s pretty rough and ready, I need it for tomorrow’s fishing trip so I don’t have time to be too fussy with it.

65D114C9-2D11-43CB-B235-070F8994E628.jpg

F3BDBC7A-59C0-423C-993A-9A7C31B7E515.jpg

12353598-C6C8-4D71-B229-34119F5F6C52.jpg

I still want to put a fore an aft seat in it but that’s a project for another day.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

That's a very interesting construction, I've never seen something like it before! It doesn't look heavy or complicated. Would it be strong enough to hold a little engine, like a 2.5 HP for example? How does it handle? And what is it called? Awesome stuff!!!
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

Well that looks pretty respectable Jim, inginuity at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Ha, "forward is the new aft!" I like it.

I do wonder how the oarlock position is going to work out though? A fore and aft seat would solve that problem but I'm not sure how you will propel it the way it is now. Row facing forward (the new forward)? Use a motor? I'm sure you have a plan Jim, I'm just curious.

Electric trolling motor?

I have great respect for boat builder especially the canvas guys. When I was a pilot and aviation line service tech, I helped do a set of canvas wings from the spars out and lash the canvas. That was a two week job at twelve ours a day seven days a week with three of us working together.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

I have to confess, I didnt think you'd get that much rocker into it without having the sheer droop badly at the stern - unless it had gone on a strongback. Looks pretty useful, the way it turned out.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    That's a very interesting construction, I've never seen something like it before! It doesn't look heavy or complicated. Would it be strong enough to hold a little engine, like a 2.5 HP for example? How does it handle? And what is it called? Awesome stuff!!!
    I haven’t tried it but I bet it would take a small trolling motor. I don’t know that it has a name Dody, it’s just a small skin on frame pram. There aren’t any plans or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Thanks Ned.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Ha, "forward is the new aft!" I like it.

I do wonder how the oarlock position is going to work out though? A fore and aft seat would solve that problem but I'm not sure how you will propel it the way it is now. Row facing forward (the new forward)? Use a motor? I'm sure you have a plan Jim, I'm just curious.
    Rowing facing forward isn’t an issue Chris, but you’re right it will be necessary for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    I have to confess, I didnt think you'd get that much rocker into it without having the sheer droop badly at the stern - unless it had gone on a strongback. Looks pretty useful, the way it turned out.

Pete
    That was definitely a real possibility Pete. The transom knees are what make it work.
    -Jim

Good news, it floats.

A44E2C66-20C7-4B00-A95E-ED03DE786F41.jpg

At the fuel dock some knucklehead in a gillnetter came by dragging a huge wake, while we were tied up getting fuel. We got slammed into the fuel dock, hard. It was a tense couple minutes checking things out after the chaos passed but the boat didn’t take any damage. So, we headed on our way.

What town looked like.

36D63BE1-5192-42D0-91B4-2FF81D9D38E8.jpg

Pretty wet and gray down there. But it looks good ahead.

BFFDEF6D-5B1A-4DA5-A59B-5AFFCB94FEAF.jpg
    -Jim

-Jim

////]
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

That's the life!

An aside -- in the background of the first photo there's that big Bolger catamaran that was built up your way some years back now. The builder/owner posted here a few times, don't know if he visits the forum. But anyway, do you know what's going on with it? I was always fascinated by the design. I know several modifications were made over the years, and wonder if it was ever considered a successful design.
    -Dave

I don’t know how successful it is as a sailboat Dave or even as a motor boat. I’m pretty sure it hasn’t left that spot for at least three years. As a live aboard it’s probably pretty good though.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    i get a warm fuzzy feeling every time i see this image when i check the WoodenBoat Group on FaceBook ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Great day out Jim. I foresee the need for some wide cockpit benches/settees in your future though

I really need to get the vee berth put back together first Chris. The folding camp chairs aren’t elegant, but they are handy and they can be put away. It’s not a very large cockpit and I’d like to keep it as open as possible.
    -Jim

I really need to get the vee berth put back together first Chris. The folding camp chairs aren’t elegant, but they are handy and they can be put away. It’s not a very large cockpit and I’d like to keep it as open as possible.
    That's probably the best plan but I remember how much I loved lying on the settee in the cockpit while underway on St. Brendan, the boat we lived on when I was a kid. A great place to sit and watch the water go by. Could make folding benches. You know, when you run out of other projects to do!

It looks like your crew is pretty confident in you work, and not thinking you will be going down like Titanic at a seconds notice. Hahaha

it looks like a good time had by all.

Everyone has settled right in, that’s for sure. We’ve got about fifteen hours underway now and probably another fifteen hours just hanging out at the dock. Not bad for our first week and a half. I adjusted the stuffing box tonight, it was running a steady stream into the boat but I tightened it up to where it drips once every 10-12 seconds. Hopefully that will be alright. My only real worry is that the shaft log is leaking behind the stuffing box. The stuffing box is well fastened so I don’t think it is in danger of going anywhere so I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it.
    -Jim

Well done! Great to see trials underway, and the inspectors looking relaxed...
    Re: your concern about shaft log and stuffing box, are you worried that (knowing the stuffing box is letting in some water) extra water is showing up? Or something else you've noticed? Early days , yet, since shes been dry so long and you've done so much new work ...there's reason to think things will settle and tighten up. Admire the project, envy the product ! Carry on, and yes please, some more?...as you venture forth?

The stuffing box itself isn't a concern except where it mates to the shaft log. Initially that mating surface leaked quite a bit, enough to produce a flow, but it had healed itself up pretty much. The concern is that when we came back in the other day it was noticeable leaking again and there is some checking in the end of the shaft log that is also weeping. There is a significant vibration between 1300 and 1000 rpm as the motor powers down underway which could have loosened things up a bit so I added lock washers to the stuffing box and tightened it down again. Or hitting the fuel dock as hard as we did could have jarred something loose maybe. Either way, when a leak settles down and then get worse again it's a cause for concern.

If I wasn't sitting in the water I would pull the stuffing box, whack off that top corner of the shaft log, scarf in a new section, and re-bed the stuffing box. Probably a half a day's worth of work. In the water that is not a practical solution.
    -Jim

Hmmm. Sounds like the stuffing box bolts are not holding in the end of the shaft log? That's a tough one. It might be something you could get away with monitoring and fixing the next time you haul out. But having had a cast bronze shaft log come loose from the hull when the bolts failed in another boat I can say it is *definitely* not something you want to have happen while underway! Or anytime really, but there is a certain thrill that only comes from seeing jets of water coming in while you are a good half hour away from a safe berth and a chance to deal with it.

One possible temporary fix. Not something I've tried but seems like it might work: Pull the stuffing box bolts individually and goop them up with an epoxy that will cure in water, then retighten them. Then monitor them frequently for leaks. Fix permanently the next time you haul out.

The bolts are new and are set in epoxy into new cheek blocks that are fastened to the side of the shaft log so everything seems solid there and I don't think the stuffing box is at risk of falling off. The nuts holding the shaft log on didn't have lock washers under them, so they could have loosened up a bit under vibration. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have pulled and rebedded the stuffing box.
    -Jim

The bolts are new and are set in epoxy into new cheek blocks that are fastened to the side of the shaft log so everything seems solid there and I don't think the stuffing box is at risk of falling off. The nuts holding the shaft log on didn't have lock washers under them, so they could have loosened up a bit under vibration. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have pulled and rebedded the stuffing box.
    Ah - that's much better than I had been thinking. In that case it seems more in the monitor-now-fix-later category? It sounds like a major or unexpected failure is not likely. The stuffing box isn't going to fall off. The shaft log isn't going to disintegrate.

Did you check that the shaft was straight and aligned? I had a bad vibration, and leak at the stuffing box, turns out the shaft was bent, wrenching the box around 1500 times/min. Alignment can also change after launching. Maybe you already addressed this, its a long thread!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Did you check that the shaft was straight and aligned? I had a bad vibration, and leak at the stuffing box, turns out the shaft was bent, wrenching the box around 1500 times/min. Alignment can also change after launching. Maybe you already addressed this, its a long thread!
    Good point. That was part of the problem with my shaft log issues on Temptation as well. Engines were misaligned by a good 3/8" and there was no way to raise the front enough to align them with the stock mounts. And the struts were the wrong angle as well and I didn't find out until I was done repairing the shaft log and tried to align the the couplings. Ended up having to make up custom spacers so I could realign the motors and build up a wedge under the struts to the correct angle to make it all work.

Alignment is indeed a good point. Being out & dry all those years means that it's probably moved quite a bit since the launch.

Can you get the coupler undone to see how far off it is?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

There could be an alignment issue I suppose. I'll look at the coupling to see how easy it would be to get it apart. But I'm more inclined to think there is a harmonic vibration of some sort. From 1300 up to WOT at ~2300 rpm is very smooth running with no noticeable issue and 800-1000 rpm is equally smooth.
    -Jim

And now for something completely different.

In the front of the cabin there were a pair of sconces with stained glass shades. Nothing super fancy, just old 120v AC lights. But still, kinda cool.

54234F05-409F-470C-B2BB-998D47E91F4A.jpg

So I decided to tear out the old light socket and wiring, then rewire them for 12v led like I did with the lamp over the table.

New socket, base, and wires.

8B9DBE00-B9A2-4DE9-A6BE-1B8E353F998C.jpg

I also made some mounting boxes that have switches on them to make life a little easier. The boxes are made from a bit of the original cabin side I ended up replacing.

91FA87A2-BC07-4C44-974F-9A88A8D5A517.jpg

And tonight I went down to the boat and wired them up.

78C11F5A-7E8B-49DF-9275-AC1A3A8069ED.jpg
    -Jim

Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

up lights now huh, you're so flash.

Greta idea to flip them, looka as sof as butter in there now...

Classy!!!!