Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2341353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Harbor Master Called me Today

Default Re: The Harbor Master Called me Today

I can assure you all that the only way I can afford our boats is by keeping to the one stick at a time method of finance. The culvert runs under Egan Drive, a four lane divided highway that was built in the 70's. Part of the project was maintaining water access for us because grandpa had established and improved tideland rights.

This was grandpa's last boat.

I helped run the boat through the tube twice a year for twenty years.

The new boat measures six feet to the top of the transom, as it sit on the hard right now and the aft cabin is a about four feet taller than that. About the only concession I'm willing to make to get it the fit would be to make the mast collapsible. If it fits that would be ideal, but I'm not going to change the basic fabric of the boat to accommodate that. It's a great old boat and I'd like to see it put to rights and going strong into the future.

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

good decision, keep her original, great project, I am jealous of the find (but of of all the work involved ... at my age I would never live to see it finished.)

Very nice looking boat! Good luck with her & enjoy! ---- I can relate as I'm in the middle of a 33' adoption/restoration myself.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

I will be following this thread with anticipation. She looks like a fantastic project.
    I have to wonder, if this happened to me would my sweet wife hunt down the harbormaster and kill him with her bare hands?
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Lovely boat. Beautiful detail in the interior. I hope she's rescuable.

That's funny Steve. The boat mover just left about an hour ago, as he was pulling away my wife Leni said, "Wait, where's he going? He's going to come back right? Is he just taking lunch? That would be okay."
    -Jim

I'm sure she's rescuable Phil, a little time and patience will see it through.

So Ned, when it sunk in that the boat was actually yours and you now had to get started on fixing her up, just did you find yourself just standing there in stunned silence for a minute, thinking "good lord what have I done"?

Here are a few shots of the move.

Jim
    -Jim

So, what about a crane to pick her up and over and deposit her on the other side?
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

A crane is probably a little out of my price range.
    -Jim

If Werner Herzog could figure how to get a tramp steamer over a jungle mountain in Fitzcarraldo, I am sure you will find a way. :-)
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Looks like the beginning of a great adventure to me. Best of luck with it. I'll be following every step.
    -Dave

Did you order a copy of "Knee Deep in Shavings" yet?

If not, you should now that the build is verified.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I just did, thanks for the recommendation Lew.

Jim
    -Jim

I used to have a Blanchard Sr. Knockabout so I'm kind of fond of the marque. I had Norm Jr. On board for a race once and he handled the tiller like a pro.

Here is my current dock neighbor, Barnacle, a very well known Blanchard cruiser. Notice the side ports are not the traditional Blanchard arch tops here either.

Barnacle's a fine looking vessel! Those ports look identical to Neoga's.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Nice score Jim!

I've never seen any information on Juneau harbormaster boat auctions. Might have to look around.

They seem to be closely held secret Brian, unless you happen to see the bulliten board in the office or the public notice on their site you'd miss it completely. I think they usually have them in August.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    I just did, thanks for the recommendation Lew.

Jim
    You'll enjoy it. I have a signed copy myself but haven't looked at it lately. I'll dig it out and see if I find your boat in it.

Here's a shot of Norm and Scott Rohrer (Pirate's former custodian). Likely (if I recall) a 4th of July event at the Center for Wooden Boats. That is Pirate, Ted Geary's design.

And one of Norm taken (I think) by Steve Wilen. I have a few more around here somewhere.

Last edited by Lew Barrett; 09-03-2014 at 01:41 AM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Jim: For me the "oh crap, what do I do now" moment came a bit earlier. Early on I had made the decision that if the boat needed repowering I would have to walk away from her as I couldn't even begin justify the expense of repowering a 33 ft twin screw inboard (the technicalities and actual work would not be a problem for me, but the $$$, ..... no way).
    Early on in my journey I took my brother and we went to take a long hard look at the engines (a pair of original 57 yr old raw water cooled Chrysler Crowns – flat head sixes- that had not even been turned over in 14 years, and which the yard said were shot). To the surprise of both of us, we had both of them running within a couple of hours. It was then that I turn to him and actually said “Hmmm, Now what do I do?!?!” I think that is when it sunk in. Then I had to figure out how to have the boat moved 200 miles to our house.

You have a really nice looking boat there! I do hope you don't find much in the way of unexpected problems (I ended up with a couple).
    She is real comfortable and cozy looking below. Good Luck! I'll be following your progress.

Is that a marine head in the cockpit? Man, you Alaskans like it rough!

What a beauty. To me, the big question would be whether to do a full on restoration or just get it running, safe and seaworthy and leave it looking 'lived in'.

I'm envious.
    Plures Naves Quam Mentes!

More Boats Than Brains!

I just noticed that apparently the previous owner couldn't decide whether to have a boot top or not!

It is kind of funny with a boot stripe only on one side, I like the stripe so will probably carry it through to the other side.

Willing, it is tough decision. I'm torn, part of me wants to just fix the major issues freshen up the paint and go have fun, the other part wants to do the full on restoration. The reality will probably end being somewhere in the middle, fix all the leaks, freshen the paint, go have fun and pick a new thing to improve every year, working towards a better boat as we go.

I was staring at the boat at lunch and notice a plank end sprung a little bit and I can push it in some.

The plank doesn't appear to be soft, the block behind it looks a little suspect though.

There are three blocks like that that I think should be replaced and that seems like as good a place as/any to start since those from bays look good.

Jim
    -Jim

I have to admit that I have zero experience in wooden boat repair. So with my lay mind I would be the one who is doing a complete restoration of the hull, rudder mechanism and engine, just to feel safe. The rest as needed. Not being in the water for a long time the hull should be dry, wouldn't that be a good condition for a thoroughly repair?

Chris

Welcome to the world of boat building archeology Jim!

Right now you should be developing a plan of restoration and climb around everywhere inside with an awl and reach in behind spots with a hand mirror and a flashlight.

Great find and great score!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Inspect carefully for hidden rot (between the rib and plank for starters) as well as wasted fasteners. A sprung plank in one spot could be a symptom of a more widespread issue, or just a localized deal. One thing is for certain...a sprung plank is one of the fastest ways to wind up on the bottom of the pond! Perhaps there is a deck leak above the butt block? Do you intend to have a surveyor look her over to provide some direction?

It might just be the photos, but it looks to me as though it's a while since the plank ends have been intimate with the stem or the transom. If so that'd be a serious worry.

Quote Originally Posted by PILOTARIX View Post
    I have to admit that I have zero experience in wooden boat repair. So with my lay mind I would be the one who is doing a complete restoration of the hull, rudder mechanism and engine, just to feel safe. The rest as needed. Not being in the water for a long time the hull should be dry, wouldn't that be a good condition for a thoroughly repair?

Chris
    I agree with you Chris all the structural and mechanical issues will be addressed before the boat gets put back in the water. What I mean about full restoration is a restoration back to original new condition including a full interior restoration. My dad is a retired marine engineer and I hope to be able to recruit him to help with the systems work.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Welcome to the world of boat building archeology Jim!

Right now you should be developing a plan of restoration and climb around everywhere inside with an awl and reach in behind spots with a hand mirror and a flashlight.

Great find and great score!
    Thanks Duncan, I am excited to get to work, but you're right, it all about exploration right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangusso View Post
    Inspect carefully for hidden rot (between the rib and plank for starters) as well as wasted fasteners. A sprung plank in one spot could be a symptom of a more widespread issue, or just a localized deal. One thing is for certain...a sprung plank is one of the fastest ways to wind up on the bottom of the pond! Perhaps there is a deck leak above the butt block? Do you intend to have a surveyor look her over to provide some direction?
    It could be a leak at the deck, the cabin deck leaks horribly at the moment. I've decided to rake out all the bottom seams as part of the exploration process. It needs to be done any since half the seams have been filled with sika flex or some other too and that has already failed for the most part. Ive thought about getting a survey but I'm not really decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It might just be the photos, but it looks to me as though it's a while since the plank ends have been intimate with the stem or the transom. If so that'd be a serious worry.
    The transom has been way over caulked, what is under that is anyone's guess, but we'll find out.

These two planks on the bottom are actually loose.

The stem actually isn't too bad.

What looks like a pulled away plank is really an unfair stem from a previous oops.

-Jim

Ah! Well, closer up I see a few things need fixin.
    Chuck Thompson

Is it wrong that I'm excited to find a rotten plank end?

You can sort of make out the previous stem repair here.

In raking out the seams I've discovered some dry rot in the garboard on the port side as well.

Jim
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Is it wrong that I'm excited to find a rotten plank end?

Jim
    Embrace the Project. Be the Project.

Resistance is Futile.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

That is a fantastic boat -- and having the provenance of that letter from Mr. Blanchard makes it all the better! Lots of work ahead for you, but just keep your eyes on the prize and you'll prevail. As a further incentive, keep us posted here on your progress, we'll hound you without mercy!

Tom

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Here comes the "free" part.

Keep your chin up friend! You'll soon stop getting excited about finding rot...but you'll keep finding it! We're here for you though...with guidance, advice, and a big boot to put in your ass when you need it! You're gonna be glad you took this on...eventually.

Looks like you have a good handle on the task, eyes wide open. Good luck.

What a wonderful boat...just big enough to go places, but not so big as to utterly destroy your budget. having the "new" yanmar is a plus. Yeah, you've got some serious amount of work ahead of you but it's not impossible, and when you're done, wow. I'm not a powerboat guy, but I have to say, if if I was, THAT would be the sort of thing I could go for.

You're gonna have fun......in a sick sort of way. LOL
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

So, as I was sitting under the boat today, raking out seams, a question occurred to me. The plank with the bad end runs the whole length of the boat. On the face of it replacing the whole run would seem to be over kill, so assuming a foot or so of it is toast how much should be replaced? Two feet, four feet, six, eight, is there a standard? Anyone have a rule of/thumb they like?
    -Jim