Page 100 of 102 FirstFirst ... 509099100101 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,500 of 3540

Thread: The Harbor Master Called me Today

Default Re: The Harbor Master Called me Today

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Funny, that's pretty much how I grew up as well Ned. Drives my wife crazy when I talk about it. She thinks it was borderline child abuse. Sadly there is zero chance that Dash will have that sort of freedom until he is rather older than you or I were. But to the point, a couple of thoughts:

1. My list of contingencies to plan for would probably be different in New Jersey than in the less inhabited parts of Alaska, where I assume getting help may not be as simple as a call to the red boat on channel 16.

2. I'm not talking about making lists of lists and carrying spares for the spares here. This isn't Trawler Forum. But you have some basic tools. I also hope you carry a spare raw water pump impeller and a few other necessities? That's all I'm talking about.

Which reminds me. I forgot "raw water pump failure" on my list above since Petrel doesn't have one. A pump impeller would definitely be in my spares kit if she did. Spark plugs too, for those who use such things.
    There is no doubt that kids are watched more carefully today. In some cases because it's needed - but often just because. I too was allowed a great deal of freedom - until I showed my parents that I couldn't handle it. Anyway, I (we?) digress. I think anyone who lives or travels outside of immediate help from "the red boat" carries some spares & tools. I'm thinking a former log truck driver in Alaska understands the concept very well

A go home motor is certainly something that gives one security - until it won't run of course... Another option is a smaller motor on a dinghy. My brother once towed my parents 41' ketch about 5 miles with the 8' dinghy powered by a Seagull. He said he got up to almost 2 knots for a while!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Hmmmm,...... we have some friends,....... he likes to go out fresh water fishing on not much more than local duck ponds on his little inflatable pontoon boat with a little electric trolling motor. She doesn’t like that, is always worried something will happen, and has even been known to drive to the pond at sunset and call out “dear,... it’s time to come home”.
    I couldn’t live like that.
    I grew up where at 15 my family was fine with me taking a 14ft Garvey out ten miles or so, and a mile out so in the Atlantic to go fishing. Me, the boat, an old 1957 18hp Evinrude and a life jacket. The moto in our family growing up was “no news is good news”.
    Not saying it is wrong, but contingency lists and ‘what ifs’ wouldn’t be for me when it comes to something as mundane as going out on a boat. Yes I carry some basic tools. I certainly don’t consider myself a ‘gambler’, but I have reasonable trust in my work on the boat, the boat, and the engines (61 yrs old), and I do have a radio now.
    I certainly understand your perspective Jim (you have the advantage of diesel too).

Really even a little 2 hp would move Amazon reasonably, but why prepare for that need? It’s like buying an extended warrantee, you are admitting and expecting the item will fail, you are even putting money on it.

Now I have to take off for Mystic Seaport in the fog in my 61 yr old boat with 61 yr old engines and no electronics.
    This has a very familiar ring to it but my parents grew up land-locked and had no clue of the risks of tooling about in a 14 foot Chris Craft kit boat and 18hp Evenrude. The Lower Bay of NY was my oyster! But I will say that the game changes when you have your kids on the boat with you, big change in mind set.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

loved the pics of mendenhal glacier. that's where we spent the first few nights in 1964 after driving to juneau. there was a little cabin there that wasn't
    heated but was out of the wind. it also said "no camping".

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    loved the pics of mendenhal glacier. that's where we spent the first few nights in 1964 after driving to juneau. there was a little cabin there that wasn't
    heated but was out of the wind. it also said "no camping".
    That would have been Skaters Cabin. It’s still there and still no camping.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Well, the boat has been in the water for a month now. We’ve got thirty hours under way and around 150 miles under the keel, which isn’t too shabby as far as I can tell. I’m still monkeying around on little projects but not keeping track of them very well.

I did trim up the foam for the vee berth yesterday.

976FC67E-B935-4A77-9000-E4FECEA0D766.jpg

Now l’m working on covering them.

I also hooked up the drain for the sink and got the water pump working.

0CDA7A01-119C-46F2-A406-49283C870172.jpg

That was truly exciting (hey, it’s the little things).

And, of course, we’ve been doing a fair amount of this.

84FFA8D5-7216-48B9-8ACC-FC866BA810C8.jpg
    -Jim

30 hrs and 150 miles....very nice Jim !!!
    what's the hull speed on your boat ?
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

I haven’t actually taken the time to calculate it. We are averaging right around six mph over the ground at 18-1900 rpm, which is what we usually cruise at. I haven’t burned more than ten gallons of fuel either, at this rate the forty gallons of fuel we have on board seems rather excessive.
    -Jim

Glad to see her on the water! This has been a fun few years to follow! Thanks for posting.

Now she’s looking a bit ‘proper’ below.

glad to to hear all is well and you are being able to put some miles under her.

The v-berth is looking cozy. Have you spent any nights at anchor yet?

that's great mileage. 150 miles on less than ten gallons. my old pu was way worse than that. it must be that shiny new bottom.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    The v-berth is looking cozy. Have you spent any nights at anchor yet?
    Not yet, lots of day trips fishing and evening trips around the harbor.

I did finish covering my cushions, although I may redo one. I went with vinyl tops and a canvas bottom, which isn’t too far off from matching the settee cushions.

AAF054E9-1534-46B5-93D0-DBC0B5D06C7D.jpg

Cheap and cheerful, but it gets the job done.
    -Jim

Beaut, Jim.

Very nice!!! The color is in perfect keeping with the boat too.

I love the v-berth cushions. Just right for the boat. I predict that the next project will be rod storage racks in the overhead of the hard top though. Like these perhaps?

I realize I am way late on this, but better late than ever: congratulations!!!! Job well-done.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    (Cue best David Attenborough BBC nature documentary voice.) Today is a special day indeed. We are about to witness something rarely seen in the wild. A wooden boat is about to break out of its cocoon after a long four year slumber where it has been transformed, like a humble caterpillar turning into a beautiful butterfly, our wooden boat will soon be on its way and a float once again, completing its transformation.

Attachment 18743

Attachment 18744

Attachment 18745

Attachment 18746
    Wow! That's a big day!!! Congratulations!!!
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Boat looks great! And it seems the family is enjoying it too. Truly a magnificent piece of work! I remember when this thread started, and I'd never recognize AMAZON as the boat you start with!!
    Great work!

Scott
    Now is a good time!

Well, rod holders are on the list but there are a couple things higher up. Last Sunday I took my friend out for a spin first thing in the morning. Beautiful day with a bit of fog in the channel. This was a quick trip because I was going to pick up the family afterwards and we were going to make a day out of going around Douglas Island. That didn’t go quite as lanned though. As I was approaching the harbor entrance the temperature light and alarm suddenly went off at the same time I noticed that there was quite the white cloud billowing out of the exhaust so I shut it down before anything catastrophic happened, but that left us drifting in the channel and a bit too close to the breakwater and harbor entrance. So I quickly started it up again and backed out into clear water and shut it down. A little investigation revealed that the raw water pump pulley had spun loose, causing the motor to overheat. I was able to tighten it back up, which cooled things right off, and got back to the dock without further incident.

At the dock I looked closer at the pulley that had spun and discovered that center hole was way to large for the shaft (I could have sworn that fit well before). Still hoping for a family outing, I ran home and turned up a bushing on the lathe to fix the pulley. This worked but a twenty minute spin around the harbor left me feeling like it was still running hot. Not that I could prove it there being no gauges on the motor besides a tach. This being the case, the trip around Douglas was obviously a bust and I decided to see about adding a couple gauges to the dash so I would have at least some clue about what’s going on with the motor.

Fortunately, there was room on the dash for a couple more gauges.

07C6E470-268F-4732-8874-31EA427EC094.jpg

98EBB1FE-21B1-4BC5-8439-BEC76B3D6896.jpg

They look good but that’s about it because the senders for the temp and pressure lights are just on/off, so they don’t work with gauges. After a lot of internet searches and pondering the shop manual for a while, I decided I could pull out the down hill side water heater plug, which wasn’t being used, and replace it with a temp sender that would work with a gauge. I also decided that if I was going to drain down the motor to install a new sender I may as well put in a new thermostat while I was at it. I also ordered a new pulley and a bunch of miscellaneous bits and bobs like an impeller and gaskets and what have you.

A box full of goodies.

C34248CF-FF89-40BD-AAB2-675CB9688758.jpg

That little plug did not want to come out.

D0D7C9A9-0B32-4EE1-AC57-9967FC1793BD.jpg

New thermostat, pulley, and sender installed and everything is looking good. The engine runs up to 160 then stays there but it haven’t had a chance to really test it under load. That’s tomorrow’s adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Jim

Gauges are good. Idiot lights, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Gauges are good. Idiot lights, not so much.
    X2! I did have a low oil press light on my race car. It lived just above the tach and I could see it in an instant if it ever went off (never did...but it was there​).

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    X2! I did have a low oil press light on my race car. It lived just above the tach and I could see it in an instant if it ever went off (never did...but it was there​).
    I have an oil pressure gauge, an idiot light & an alarm. One of 'em oughta get my attention!

For the oil pressure gauge I’m probably going to have to put a tee on the motor where the current switch is so that I can have a sender and a switch. But, the eight and a half hours we put on the motor yesterday with the temperature staying between 168 and 170 would suggest that the overheating issue is cured.

Not very exciting, I know, but I’m excited.

Anyway, here’s a pretty fish picture for you.

839AAA84-2580-4306-A157-945F470CAAEC.jpg

Very pretty little king salmon, but king salmon fishing is closed. So we never even took him out of the water. Just shook the hook and watched him swim away.
    -Jim

I Tee'd my OP sender to allow for both the idjut light & gauge. Keep everything as short as possible so something's less likely to hit it & break it off!

A project completed, and smiling kids and a hooked salmon to prove it. Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

Chris
    F/V No Quarter
    1973 Grand Banks 42 Troller

It’s been a fun summer, we’re up to two dozen trips over the last two months so I can’t complain about that. I’ve decided to pull the boat out for the winter but haven’t settled on a date yet, probably sometime early next month.

In the meantime I’ve just been puttering around on things. I found an old box compass that I think fits the boat better than the black plastic Ritchie compass that was mounted on the dash (not that there was anything wrong with it) and ran them side by side for a couple trips with no noticeable difference between the two. So I mounted the box compass in its place.

0EEA90AD-F362-4C88-B448-7BFA3F445ACB.jpg

5F60935F-26A8-49A9-8AF6-BE3257E58F36.jpg

And a friend of mine gave me a clock and barometer set that came off his uncle’s old boat, which I finally got around to mounting in the cabin.

A793B10E-EB29-4469-BFB5-F390DD38C0BD.jpg

I’ve got a list of winter projects around somewhere, but they’re all pretty much in the nice to have category.
    -Jim

Looks great! It's nice to be down to the "nice to have" point. Congrats!

So have you squeezed her through the culvert yet?
    -Dave

Good update. I'm liking that compass, boxed and gimble mounted. Nice!
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Great to see you out on the water using the boat the way she was intended to be used!!

S
    Now is a good time!

Jim,

i have read this from start to finish. It’s been enjoyable, educational, and even a little inspirational. I admire your dedication to your project and the documentation of the journey as well. Your results have motivated me to finally start my own project. It won’t be as grand but it will be for me and my children to work on together. A heartfelt thank you!

Chris

Waiting for a man with a trailer.

8902B513-D621-42E2-8EBE-F138B18A6531.jpg

Looks like the the season is over.

9D106F5C-EA77-4461-B316-3E6D30633A73.jpg
    -Jim

Damn. However - congrats on a first season! Mighty fine boat you got there.

Yeah, I would have liked to stay in the water a little while longer but the raw water intake valve broke in the closed position so I needed a haul out to fix that without drama and with the kids back in school and all the activities starting again there’s no time to use it anyway. Still it was a great, if short, season.

Now where did I put that fix it list?
    -Jim

Love the compass and all the rest. Very nice. Something to be proud of.