Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5191100101102 LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,535 of 3567

Thread: The Harbor Master Called me Today

Default Re: The Harbor Master Called me Today

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Yeah, I would have liked to stay in the water a little while longer but the raw water intake valve broke in the closed position so I needed a haul out to fix that without drama and with the kids back in school and all the activities starting again there’s no time to use it anyway. Still it was a great, if short, season.

Now where did I put that fix it list?
    Replacing a through-hull is easier out of the water? Who knew? I guess it's a little bigger deal than stuffing in the transducer you forgot before the launch.

Time for a new list anyway - right?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

She looks great Jim. Sadly it is getting to be the time of year.

I sent a message to my mover guy a couple of days ago to reserve Oct 22nd to bring her home. It’s going to be a long six months, haha.

So is it the norm to haul out for winter in Juneau? Through hulls and other work aside I would have thought you could keep Amazon in the water all year. One of the things I definitely appreciate about the weather down here is a true year-round cruising season. Given sufficient heat that is.

We’ve always hauled out our boats in the winter and I know a lot of other folks who do too. Either that or leave them in the water and cover them in place. October, November, and December can be pretty stormy and unpredictable weather wise and it’s not unusual to get skim ice in the harbors in January or February or thicker sheets of ice off the wetlands. Then there are the Taku winds...
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

looking good there.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Hello!

Congratulations for this outstanding job you did there!

Just finish reading all from here in hot Marseille.

Being a sailor in the french merchant navy, I would just suggest a simple emergency steering tiller to be connected quickly and simply...For emergency power, a simple scull, if you know how to ride it (I don't ). And the minimal safety equipment as per regulations... Of course , plus food and water!!

Again : amazing job, bravo!

au revoir,
    Last edited by L'Ankou; 11-22-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Just about got the tent set back up and ready for winter.

F1C79E06-2759-418C-99BE-4B4E1AB9A0CA.jpg

Then I’ll need to decide what to do next. Take out and rebed the windows and recaulk the trunk cabin or rebuild the stern tube and replace the cutlass bearing.
    -Jim

She looks good. Yes, decisions decisions.

SHE is so lucky to have you as her steward

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Hi Jim:
    have followed and enjoyed the epic rebuild, and can only say well done! At this juncture (a season of use, some down time in hand), the decision of what to attack is a hard one...on the one hand (I've managed and run a small coastal research boat for 26 years, aside from my personal boats) the thought of windows that don't leak is a very attractive one...on the other hand, the shaft log is pretty important...
    I'd go after the shaft log, while she's out of the water, cause you can go after the widows while she's afloat. And, if the shaft log project goes way faster than we think, you can then go after the windows. If it comes to windows, I vote for butyl tape, never hardens, and if constrained by framing, really really good.
    But anyway, carry on, you've done magnificently!

Really, all those jobs are on the list for this winter. Although, you’re right, windows could be dealt with on the water. This summer was unusually sunny so the windows were little more than a nuisance but I can’t count on that for next year. Plus, any job is way easier to get done with the boat in the yard instead of down at the dock.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Really, all those jobs are on the list for this winter. Although, you’re right, windows could be dealt with on the water. This summer was unusually sunny so the windows were little more than a nuisance but I can’t count on that for next year. Plus, any job is way easier to get done with the boat in the yard instead of down at the dock.
    My two cents... Deal with the stern tube first. It's the more painful job, so get it out of the way now and everything else will be fun.

+ 1 from me
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

Persuasion, sometimes cursing just isn’t enough.

1B3E49F7-8BBF-45F3-AAC0-3BC7DFCF7040.jpg
    -Jim

That's sawzallation, isin't it?

Effective indeed!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I tried playing nice; heat, big wrenches, soothing words.
    -Jim

Sometimes you just have to expand on the vocabulary.....

Been there, done that, need the tee shirt.

Jim, I can't zoom in unfortunately, but this skinfitting has an incredible amount of red colour in this photo. If so, it's a sign of dezincification meaning the zinc has been eaten and there is no strength left in it. Since manufacturers started flooding the market with brass fittings and seacocks, it is said they actually should be replaced every 5 years. Might be a good idea to have a very close look at all the other skinfittings on Amazon and replace them if needed.
    fair winds, Dody

Hi Dody,

What you are looking at there is the paint/seam compound the fitting was bedded in. All the fittings were pretty much in great shape, too bad I couldn't get them apart without the sawzall.

One thing I did find interesting was how much the zincs had eroded on the rudder and prop shaft in the two months the boat was in the water.
    -Jim

The were working.

True, I was a little surprised at just how much they were working is all.

oh, and the tent is up.

80AE34FA-C6B4-4C44-A4AB-392A51C04164.jpg
    -Jim

somehow when the tent wend down I thought that this was the end of it...….but didn't think about Alaska winter....and the mooring cost...…
    Now the winter boat projects will begin
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

The only problem with using the sawzall to take things apart is that sometimes the thing you take apart wasn’t actually broken before you started. It turns out that the strainer snookered me. I thought it was below the waterline so when it was opened up and not getting water I thought the valve was the issue. But I was wrong.

But all it takes is $140 to put it back together again.

24BA619F-78B9-47D2-AB7C-7F1DF49EBEC5.jpg

Yes. Sometimes I use 5200.

B6FC3C0B-E4DD-4012-A6C0-02EAD688499E.jpg

Through hull back in.

D67F4848-9E1F-4018-91E0-94D53DDD983A.jpg

It’s a tricky place to work in, because it is so tight everything needs to be done one handed. But it’s not impossible.

EFE0B18D-EA9C-43A1-8C08-0EAEA4513287.jpg

This is leaves a bit of a mystery. The motor wasn’t getting water, but the pump has tested out okay and the valve wasn’t at fault and has been replaced now anyhow. So that leaves the strainer, which has no apparent obstructions. The raw water pump does pull water from a bucket through the strainer so that leaves...?? My best guess is that the motor originally lost water due to a loose belt (this part I know is true) but I opened the strainer to check it. Maybe I didn’t get the strainer sealed correctly and it was sucking air. If that wasn’t the issue...

At any rate, I know the through hull is good now.
    -Jim

^^^ Ah - yeah, replacing parts to debug the problem... I've done that before. In fact there is an equivalent process in software development, where you fix everything that *looks* like it could be a problem on the way to solving the actual problem. I've rewritten entire applications that way, only to find that the original problem was something utterly trivial. Still that new seacock isn't a bad idea.

One thought on the pump problem: Have you actually looked at the impeller? I could imagine that the impeller is ok enough to pull water from a bucket (which is possibly higher than the waterline?) but struggles to lift water via the through hull?

I'll bet the strainer wasn't airtight. It also helps to fill it to the brim before closing it.
    -Dave

Those strainers have a cork gasket under the top, I've been fooled by them as they age, they harden and sqeeze thinner, and get fussy. Pretty sure they are still available easily, or I've made replacements from 1/8" neoprene sheet. I seem to recall a pencil zinc in there somewhere, worth a look.

Unfortunately, the only way that set up was coming apart was to cut it apart. So I’m not really sorry about that, I almost replaced it before going in the water this last summer.

Unlike the gravity feed set up I have to to supply water to the motor, which you’re right would be a bad test of the pump, the set up I used this afternoon was actually pulling water higher than it would under normal operating conditions. I did wonder if the impeller was part of the problem, sometimes it’s a combination of small things that taken one at a time wouldn’t cause a problem. That impeller is new this year though, with only sixty hours on it. I sure hope they last longer than that!
    -Jim

Obstruction lodged in a hose? My 1gm overheated. I couldn’t find any obvious problem pulling the system apart. Then I found zebra mussel shells under the engine. When I pulled the hose out to inspect it, the shells slid out. I didn’t find them until after I was done and cleaning up. I declared them guilty by association.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I’ll toss in two things
    I had an issue with one of my engines not getting coolant and after about a hour of taking things apart found that the v-belt had some antifreeze on it and was quite slippery. As I picker up the engine speed the belt started slipping, more and more.

How bad are your zincs? Last summer when my boat was pulled after three months in the water I thought the zincs were farther gone than they should have been (and the props were concerningly less than really tarnished). I did some checking over the winter and found something like 365,000 ohms resistance between the 120 & 12 volt sides of the battery charger. Bought a new battery charger and at three months this summer the zincs were almost like new (checked them in the water). Stray current corrosion can be a real problem and zincs don’t ‘protect’ from it.
    My ‘three month’ zincs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nedL; 10-14-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Very happy to hear about the paint/sealant being the cause of the color Jim, and it seems you also replaced with the good stuff!

I know this might sound very strange, but it happened to me: same problem, and I had replaced the impeller only a short while ago. After really getting upset coz I couldn't find the fault at all, I took the impeller-pump apart again, and, surprise, surprise, the brand new impeller must have been laying on the shelf in the shop for a while and had disintegrated.

In another occasion on a boat I only did the delivery, the pieces of the raw-water impeller were stuck in the heat-exchanger and blocked the whole system.
    fair winds, Dody

Hi Ned, you’re right about the belt being a problem. In my case it turned out the pulley on the crank was rusty and ate the belt to the point where it wouldn’t grip anymore. I got that all cleaned up and put a new belt on which solved them problem for a day or so. At this point I have touched every part in the system at least once.

Here are the zincs.

DA8A8483-6FC1-4216-A7E7-DD21E66C5DA3.jpg

FEE5CDFA-F280-430F-9B57-36392B842591.jpg

6BDF4ECC-F1BC-4C07-92C1-FA09E99F5CD3.jpg

They were here in the water for just over two months. I’m not set up for anything besides straight 12v on the boat. But there are several liveaboards next to me hooked up to the worn out shore power system in the harbor.
    -Jim

By the looks of those zincs I’d say there is a good chance of some sort of electrical issue near by. Could be another boat, could be pier wiring.
    Stray current can be lethal for someone in the water (luckily I doubt there is a risk in Alaska, and it is more lethal in fresh water.)

Sadly zincs don’t protect against stray current, it attacks all metal, zincs just show it more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I did some checking over the winter and found something like 365,000 ohms resistance between the 120 & 12 volt sides of the battery charger. Bought a new battery charger and at three months this summer the zincs were almost like new (checked them in the water).
    You woke up my curiosity cat. Can you explain what you are checking ? My vague understanding of battery chargers is that they are a 120v - 15v transformer, follwed by a rectifier to dcify the current. And some control circuitry. What does measurable resistance across the ac and dc sides indicate ? Should it not be open ? Did you throw a scope across the dc to see how much ac was on the battery side ?

That other thread about zincs in wood boats has me somewhat concerned ... if zincs protect the metal at the expense of the wood, ummm .... do they make kerosene vhf's ?

Yikes! If someone accidentally fell overboard they could die from electrocution, if there's enough stray current in the water.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.