Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Caledonia Yawl, newbie builder, pretty close to take the plunge.

Default Re: Caledonia Yawl, newbie builder, pretty close to take the plunge.

Below is a link to the building of my Caledonia Yawl. Many pictures of all aspects of the build, but some deal with the rudder and the spars. This build was by Tom and Susanne Regan at Grapeview Point Boatworks in Washington.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75065117@N05/

(Ignore the skiff pics. I don't seem to be able to remove those from the file.)

Best regards,

Irv

Hello all,
    my progress slowed down again, too much other stuff is going on.
    Thanks for your input guys.

The spars of the Osprey look really nice, good to know that this can be achieved with scarfed wood.

Before I started I made a new test piece, this time with the desired measurements for the mizzen. I added 10% to the diameter for the hollow spar. I paid more attention to my table saw setup this time and the test piece came out pretty good. However.. I know that is is much easier to cut a short piece correctly than one of these long wiggly sticks. We will see...

A little bit affirmed that spars can be made from scarfed wood I went into the garage and picked 2 boards from a pile of 2X10s 10' the ones who were most straight and with less knots.
    This was followed by a kind of cutting orgy on the table saw, ending up with a pile of staves. Then I made a simple jig for my table saw to cut the scarf joints, the jig is set to an angle of 170 degree. I tried to cut out every knot and ended up with a lot of pieces. There are only a very few knots remaining and those a very small, below 1/8 of an inch I hope that is OK.
    Today I picked the best pieces and started gluing them together. I build a very simple jig from some scrap wood to help with alignment and hold the pieces together until the glue is dry. I need to glue up approx 30 pieces to get 8 staves of 13 foot length and without knots. Hope they come out of the jig well and I did not squeeze the foil into the joint.

I am always amazed how this little DeWalt planer performs..

lot of staves..

find matching pieces to make 13 feet

Sioux City, Iowa (Idiot Out Walking Around)

Nice scarf gluing jig... well done!
    Steve Lewis
    Formerly Lewisboats (don't try to change your email address!)

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks

Quote Originally Posted by Lewisboater View Post
    Nice scarf gluing jig... well done!
    Thanks!

I was thinking about a gluing jig since a couple of days, all sorts of sophisticated jigs with clamps here and there came in my mind but finally I realized that exact lining up is almost more important than pressure since the glue is thickened epoxy and not wood glue. That brought me to this simple solution. I needed approx. 25 minutes to make them using the table saw.
    Today I did a second round of gluing. Now I have 10 staves of around 15 feet length, thus I can play around with the scarf joint positions, so that they are not all in one spot. And, this time I used tape to cover the jig. Foil was actually not a good idea because the foil sticks to the epoxy.

Finally here is a picture of my table saw jig to cut the scarf joints, all scrap wood. Using it I realized that this is not the safest way to do it. I used it without clamps, so the hand moves directly towards the saw blade, not a good idea at all. Next time I will do something different, more safe.

Hello all,

I am a kind of limping along with my Caledonia yawl build.
    After a good month of abstinence from boat building I had a chance to spend some hours in the basement this weekend. Unfortunately after all these freaking cold days the temp dropped to 55, which is not really fun.

Anyhow...

Yesterday I cut the staves for the mizzen mast to their desired length, cut the taper and finally the birds mouth on the table saw. All this was way easier than I thought and was done in under two hours. Not half the time I needed for cutting, planning, selecting, scarfing and finally gluing of the staves. Making a birds mouth spar is fun, picking the wood out of 2x10's with lots of knots not so much. Thus for the main mast I will definitely buy a piece of clear straight grained wood. I hope it will get somewhat warmer soon that I can do the glue up.

You made some extra staves of course, right? You'll need them for later.

Awesome idea!

I knew that I need a wood lathe sometime, this is just one more very good reason to get one.

Thanks for sharing

Chris

It took a little courage to cut the mortise into the rudder head, and unfortunately the mortise came out not perfect square on one side, but the tenon fits, so kind of mission accomplished.
    I reinforced the hole in the tiller with a 3/8 brass tube, not sure anymore if that was a good idea, because the edges are a little bit sharp despite some sanding.
    Also not sure how I want to secure the tiller in the mortise. I like the way I have seen in the OffCenter videos, simply a pin through the rudder head into the tiller.
    Thoughts?

My rudder has the bronze nail through the rudderhead. It's not a tight joint and I doubt it could be as tight as a wedged tenon. Look at McMullen's Rowan, it looks right and good, IMHO.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by kelso; 02-28-2015 at 08:01 PM.

I can't really believe that we are already heading towards the end of July and I haven't done something meaningful on my Caledonia build since my last post here in February.
    Anyhow..
    I got a chance to buy a laser level to help with straight glue up of the mizzen mast. I made a very simple jig from pvc pipe and some pieces of scrap wood. Than I used a cross level laser to align the jig and adjust the hight of the stations. With the glue on it was relatively easy to get the staves together and I used worm-drive hose clamps to hold them together with some pressure. I am so happy that I bought the nut driver bit for my cordless drill, it made things much easier.

Hours of planing and sanding later, first with a block plane then with my electric hand planer and it almost looks like a mast. It definitely has some flaws but it is my first birdsmouth spar and the material used wasn't really ideal.
    I used a forstner bit to slightly open the top hole and then glued in a corresponding wood dowel. I would like to do that with the bottom hole too, I do have the needed forstner bit 1 5/8, but couldn't find a wood dowel that size. I will probably get a 2" dowel and downsize it on my metal lathe even though I don't like to do woodwork on a metal lathe.

What is the recommended finish for a mast that size? Just some coats of epoxy or special varnish? Any recommendations or can somebody point me to a thread where this was discussed already?

Thanks
    Chris

Last Friday a guy from the local lumber yard dropped these to pieces of wood onto my driveway. DF 2X6" 20' clear, straight grain, very nice but also very expensive. They made their way thru an egress window into the basement, pretty heavy stuff and I wondered if I could cut them without a helper. Since there was no helper available for the weekend I went to Harbor Freight and bought 3 inexpensive roller stands, which I should have gotten anyway, regardless of an helper or not. I also got a new saw blade and in the moment I had it in hand I knew that my old one was dull.
    It took a while to set up the shop for this task and once done I did some dry runs with the long piece of wood to make sure I could handle it.
    Finally I ended up with eight staves and the insight that my table saw (and probably so am I) is right on the edge with such a job. Unfortunately the staves were not entirely even thickness, the thickness varied about 1.3 mm. I send them through the thickness planer taking away 1 mm to minimize the mistake, without making them too thin. I should have cut them to oversize from the beginning and then get the right thickness with the planner. Too late.
    I did a dry run and put them together with some tube clamps, they are coming together but not as smooth as the ones from the Mizzen mast. There is definitely some clean up with a rabbet plane necessary to get a better fit.

That is much better timber.I seem to remember an article in Woodenboat a long while ago in which the foreman of Herreshoff's spar shop complained that the mills were unable to supply anything with the density of growth rings he was happy with.

Good luck with the gluing and shaping.

some update on my CY build..

Ok.... I have not made any progress on the CY since my last post here. Unfortunately my available time is so scattered and unpredictable that I still don't have the guts to pull the plug on the Caledonia Yawl kit from Hewes and Company. Building from scratch, based on my current experience, will likely not come to an end in the next decade and I would like to sail much earlier.
    There is a saying in experimental aviation, "if you want to fly, buy; if you want to build, build" and I think this is pretty much true. However, I would like to build but at the same time I have to admit that there is not enough time to do so. Job and family eating up all the time and I am not that young anymore that I could do some night shifts in the boat building shop. In addition, I can't do my job half asleep.
    Since I couldn't decide to continue with the CY I build a small dinghy using stitch and glue technique, hoping to have something this summer I can take out on the lake, however, I probably should have bought something and continued on the CY.
    I saw this coming and it was the reason why I did not order the kit from the beginning, but started with rudder, centerboard and mast. That way, not so much money is lost and I gained some experience.
    I have not finally decided yet, and probably wait how the summer and fall will be timewise.
    In the meanwhile I will gather some information how much it will cost, to have a CY professionally build.
    At times I am wondering how people get their often amazing boat projects done.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PILOTARIX View Post
    some update on my CY build..

Ok.... I have not made any progress on the CY since my last post here. Unfortunately my available time is so scattered and unpredictable that I still don't have the guts to pull the plug on the Caledonia Yawl kit from Hewes and Company. Building from scratch, based on my current experience, will likely not come to an end in the next decade and I would like to sail much earlier.
    There is a saying in experimental aviation, "if you want to fly, buy; if you want to build, build" and I think this is pretty much true. However, I would like to build but at the same time I have to admit that there is not enough time to do so. Job and family eating up all the time and I am not that young anymore that I could do some night shifts in the boat building shop. In addition, I can't do my job half asleep.
    Since I couldn't decide to continue with the CY I build a small dinghy using stitch and glue technique, hoping to have something this summer I can take out on the lake, however, I probably should have bought something and continued on the CY.
    I saw this coming and it was the reason why I did not order the kit from the beginning, but started with rudder, centerboard and mast. That way, not so much money is lost and I gained some experience.
    I have not finally decided yet, and probably wait how the summer and fall will be timewise.
    In the meanwhile I will gather some information how much it will cost, to have a CY professionally build.
    At times I am wondering how people get their often amazing boat projects done.

Chris
    Talk to Geoff Kerr this is his standard commercial build - won't take him long so hold off on the stick-and-glue.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Unhappy Re: Caledonia Yawl, newbie builder, pretty close to take the plunge.

Hi all,

OK ... how to start...

With just a little sadness I will have to admit that my Caledonia Yawl project after it has not been feed with "time" and after a reasonably long period of suffering finally passed away this weekend, RIP.

I will concetrate on the Caledonia Yawl I bought last spring and I am very pleased with.

The remains, basically everything that was built in this thread is looking for a new home and to be integrated in a project since I have no desire and space to store them for ever in my basement.

People with good intentions will get them for free, just PM me and come to pick them up.

Thanks,
    Chris

Hello all,

as a final message in this thread.
    My Caledonia Yawl pieces found a good home and now have a great chance to be integrated in an excellent CY project.
    Much much better than rotting away in my basement.

Thanks
    Chris

I must say a very hardy thank you to Chris for the excellent parts he has contributed to my CY build (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Cream-Ridge-NJ). Chris's contributions have given my build a quantum leap forward and include his fully completed rudder, completed mizzen mast, a partially shaped main mast and a weighted center board blank. Pictures of the parts are being added to my thread.

Thanks & regards,

Tom
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.