Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Default Re: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Thank you for your reply and the link to Jay Greer's thread on decking. Jay's contribution to our Forum is stellar.
    I tried out his coy encouragement to use Behr varnish as an aftershave... the attention I got from my darling has me convinced.
    I had to dial it back to semi-gloss tho.
    Best wishes to you Hallam you have a lovely vessel there.
    Best wishes and a raising of the varnish pot to the Master... Mr. Greer!

Thanks Ian. I'm fairly confident with this method I will be able to chase down any leaks that remain after the work. I see on their web page, Wooden Boat Fittings
    stock Jeffery's Number 2 ans there is a good supply of bees wax just down the road from here. As for the aftershave, ......I can't remember when I last had a shave!

Mike's a really nice bloke Hallam.

Looks like you're at Tim Phillip's yard there which really is wooden boat nirvana.

The other thing is that it looks like all your planking is painted with red lead, which explains why it's in such good nick. I hope you're laying down sheets to capture the scrapings, using gloves and a respirator and drinking a glass of milk after each session!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Hi Duncan, thanks for the tips. Yes, at Tim Phillip's yard. They are a great team there. Wayne, their yard manager and shipwright has been great keeping an eye on the project while I bounce a few ideas around. A good balance for DIY with professional support. His boat, Moonraker is on the mooring next to mine in Cameron's Bight. He has just been through the whole experience with Moonraker's restoration. They are keen advocates of the two pack system and have years of experience with it on the couta boat fleet they maintain as well as the larger boats they build and of course Storm Bay. What a boat that is!
    I have crewed on the couta boats and been checking them out for years and the two pack system performs as well as they say. Originally I was just going for a light sand, touch up and top coat but as the paint was so easy to remove I thought it a good time to go for the two pack before the original paint gets too old and brittle.
    The red lead on Warana's hull looks like a newer formula that is quite waxy, thinly coating the wood rather than soaking in. And yes I am wearing the gloves and respirator but its the top and under coat that's mainly coming off with the heat gun. The red lead layer is very thin and sands off well. When I do the sanding I will also wear tyvek overalls and goggles and, on your suggestion, toss down a class of milk! I don't want to go any more crazy than I already am!!

Hallam, have just found your thread ! Mr Jack Gutierrez was a No1 class gentleman. Not only did he build several of RBYC's Cadet Dinghies and your craft but also his own heavy duty launch which he took out every dinghy race day as Rescue Boat for RBYC. In addition, he would tow a string of up to 8 or 9 Cadets all the way to or from RMYC, St Kilda for the inter-club dinghy races and State Selection Trials for Victoria's Stonehaven Cup Team. I know all about his rescue service first hand; I was one of his most frequent "customers" particularly in 1957/8 season when I managed to capsize Defiance II ( built by Bob French) a record number of times - everytime the breeze blew north of east or west. SW afternoon seabreezes were no problem.
    Mrs G, a lovely motherly lady, was normally Jack's chief crewhand.
    You will have a beautifull craft there so well built, which, with minimal care, should last for eons. Congratulations !
    Last edited by Martin B.; 09-04-2015 at 12:53 AM.
    Cheers from Martin B.
    Mandurah, Western Australia
    mcbunny09@gmail.com

Thanks so much for your post Martin! Its great to have a contribution to this thread from someone who knew Jack and sailed under his watch. Port Phillip sure can chop up in a nasty fashion in a bit of a blow. I have my own story of being caught out a few miles out from Rickets point in a Sam Rabl Picaroon when a SW front hit at 45 to 50 knots! Sailed back into Mordy Creek at high tide, surfing the breakers and towing my pair of Levis for a sea anchor!! Picaroon handled it well with her sloping transom and fat bow!
    Here is a pic of Jack Pompei providing a similar service at Mordialloc. I would love a pic of Jack Gutierrez and his heavy duty launch!

Over the weekend we finished the sanding and got the epoxy primer / wood preserver coat on. We used Norseal Wood Treatment by Norglass.
    The Tallowood comes up beautifully. It seems such a shame to paint over that if there is a good UV protecting clearcoat available i might consider using it. However as custodian of this fine old girl i will lean towards what's best for long term preservation.

More of the same this week. Onto the port side which is now ready for the epoxy wood treatment primer coat. Also made some progress on the deck.

Made some good progress on the deck today with the help of my son. I have been thinking about caulking etc and feel i need some advise. Some boards are so tight there is no gap and others a gap of around 1/8th of an inch or just over. After cleaning some of these out it looks as though they are tongue and groove. The timber I think is Tallowood, a hardwood the same as the planking. Given that there is no V groove to caulk I am wondering if the bees wax primer with caulking cotton and jefferies number 2 will do the job of making the deck leak proof. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

Here is a photo of the deck before sanding. I have to rake out the hard white filler in the seam, the other joins are too tight;

here is how it comes up with some work;

One of the larger seams unsanded;

and a diferent area sanded;

Getting the transom ready for oiling;

What a lovely seaworthy motor sailer you have there, and the labour of love in stripping the hull has paid of. Those gorgeous colours and patterns in the varnished Tallowwood are awesome.

You toying with the idea of Hobart WBF 2017?

Thanks Tom. Yes Tassy 2017 or 19 depending on how we go with the deck and topsides. The rigging is due for renewal and will be done later this year and I would need a new set of sails to take on Bass Strait. It would be great to make it all happen for 17 so will be aiming for that. The life raft purchase was made a few weeks ago for a possible trip to the prom in Feb / March.

Tassie 2017 sounds great hope to see you there.

I wonder if the deck was built to have canvas over it, being tongue and groove construction?

It would be great to catch up with you Tom and others in Tassy 2017. Whether we take the boat or not, we will be there. My wife and I where there this year. We stayed at a little camping ground at Snug Cove and hired a camper. An amazing time!
    Hi Phil, you may well be right about the canvas. The dynal that I have removed was a fairly well done but did not go under the toe rails, so there where places where it was damp under the glass matt. There is a small space between the inner edge of the toe rail and the deck that might have been a space for the canvas to be locked down but not go completely under the toe rail. The floor boards are 25 ml thick so a bit thicker that standard. A few of the blokes in the yard think i will have a tough time making the deck water tight and are concerned about fresh water ingress. I have decided not to try and make the seams wider where they are tight to look like its caulked as it would weaken the deck being t & g, but i will caulk with one of the newer compounds where the seams have opened up. I will see how that goes and if needed will cover with canvas. I will also think about a new traditional deck or epoxy and fiberglass cloth in the next year or two, laying it under the toe rails etc for a long term fix. I have removed all deck fittings and the safety rails etc so i can do a good job on the deck, pluging all holes and gaps.......work work work at the moment with lots of mulling over options. I am running out of time though as the weather is warming up and I will have to get her back in the water in a few weeks. I can see I will be doing some work out on the mooring, not ideal but next year I will be getting her out earlier, to spend winter in the yard and do what needs to be done. The thought crossed my mind when I first bought her that a couta boat rig would be a great option but at this stage its only do what needs to be done.
    Last edited by Hallam; 10-09-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Marchuk View Post
    Thank you for your reply and the link to Jay Greer's thread on decking. Jay's contribution to our Forum is stellar.
    I tried out his coy encouragement to use Behr varnish as an aftershave... the attention I got from my darling has me convinced.
    I had to dial it back to semi-gloss tho.
    Best wishes to you Hallam you have a lovely vessel there.
    Best wishes and a raising of the varnish pot to the Master... Mr. Greer!
    While I thank you for your confidence in my opions concerning boat work. In viewing the pictures of the decks on your boat, I would rather recommend covering them with canvas again. In my humble opinion, the T&G planking is not suited for traditional caulking and paying with marine glue. Sorry to rain on your parade here but canvas is a more logical choice here. It can be very nice on bare feet as well.
    Jay

Listen to Jay. Take your toe rails off, probably your rubbing strip too, and use canvas. Have more confidence in Jays opinions than on magic goop. Keep a close eye on your topsides. Im wary of hard two pak finishes on a carvel boat. The planks and seams do move. That makes cracks. Water gets in, rainwater in particular, and sits there under the hard finish creating a lovely little micro climate to breed stuff that eats wood.

............."Take your toe rails off, probably your rubbing strip too," ..........
    Yes that's exactly what Wayne at The Wooden Boat Shop advised me to do as well. First I will be replacing a few small lengths of deck planks that have deteriorated too much, filling all screw holes etc and filling gaps that have opened up. I will see how that goes over this summer and as she will be coming out early next winter i will have the time to do whats needed for the deck then. Most likely it will be off with the toe rails, rubbing strip, hatch, etc and on with the canvas.

Speaking of canvas its a great material I used to own a trappers canoe that was twice my age and it was still going strong when I left it behind in Northern Manitoba.

Personally I would rather have a tongue and grove deck than a plywood one that I have on Wee Barkie The moisture generated by our Queensland day and night temperature variations will eventually rot a ply deck from the inside out. I recently repaired a small spinnaker pole impact section and found the 38 year old plywood with a higher moisture content than what I'd hoped for.

When all the cracks and holes are filled and you are ready to lay your canvas, make sure that it is raw canvas that is not pre-shrunk/Sanforized. First spread a coat or two of orange shellac on the wood. Once it is dry, using a toothed trowel, spread white lead thinly on the surface. Stretch the canvas over it as tight as possible tacking all edges. Then immediately pour boiling water on it. This will shrink the canvas tight. Before it dries, lay on a piss thin coat of house paint in the color of your choice. This should be oil based house paint, the kind that is designed to slough off. Let it dry and put on a second thin coat. Turpentine is the thinner to use in order to thin it out. Once the second coat is dry, you should have a deck that is consistent in color but well soaked into the canvas. If it gives good color coverage, that is all you need till it shows signs of wear. Then another coat of piss thin paint can be laid on the surface. As the deck canvas is scrubbed with dish detergent, Dawn is best, the paint sluffs off making it unessary to sand the surface prior to re-painting it. This kind of deck can last as long as twenty years or more if well cared for. Cheap loose woven cotton canvas is the best for this purpose.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-10-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks for that Jay. Great info!

My dad built his boat in 1972 with canvas over ply decks pretty much as Jay describes. He just redid the decks last year. This time he's gone for glass over ply. Hes 85 now, so that should do it.

Wow! Good innings for the deck and your Dad!

What's the best way to do a join? I'm guessing that you use one piece of canvas for the bow section and join at the cabin sides for two lengths port and starboard, then join for one piece over the stern.

...........a bit of research answers my own question.......get canvas that is 10 ft wide and cut to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Speaking of canvas its a great material I used to own a trappers canoe that was twice my age and it was still going strong when I left it behind in Northern Manitoba.
    I don't know how old you are Tom, but I built a canvas-on-wood kayak in 1960, and she's still going strong too. I used a thinned coat of house paint on the inside, a la Jay, and a few coats of marine gloss on the outside, added to every few years as necessary. The stuff's like leather -- really tough, but still flexible.

I think the design life was maybe twenty years, and it's going on for three times that now (although in fairness she hasn't been used for a while, just stored).

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Not long now before Warana goes back on her mooring. The transom join has been filled with a thin length of tallowood, slightly wedge shaped......

Hull painting finished........

Filling in the caps in the deck planking.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    I don't know how old you are Tom, but I built a canvas-on-wood kayak in 1960, and she's still going strong too. I used a thinned coat of house paint on the inside, a la Jay, and a few coats of marine gloss on the outside, added to every few years as necessary. The stuff's like leather -- really tough, but still flexible.

I think the design life was maybe twenty years, and it's going on for three times that now (although in fairness she hasn't been used for a while, just stored).

Mike
    That is impressive. My old canoe was a short 12' beamy heavy canoe with many coats of paint. Built to carry at least half a Moose and the hunter. It would have spent most of its life when not in use sitting upside down on some rocks ,then frozen and covered by snow the remaining six month of the year. I was able to buy it for cheap after Hydro in conjunction with the Government flooded much of the traditional Native trapping and hunting grounds.

Looking good. Are you canvassing over the deck before she goes back in?

That is a very nice looking paint job Hallam and I like the Tallowwood transom ,it will probably outlast you.

Canvassing the deck is a big job that I hadn't planned to do this haul out and with the weather warming up i don't want to risk the hull planks opening up too much. I will see how the deck goes over summer and if needed i will do the canvass next haul out.

Cleaned the bilge during the evenings after work this week. The Perkins drips a bit plus during an oil change i pumped a few liters of oil into the bilge when i didn't see the vac pump had a split return hose. I used a scraper to get the sludge up then threw a few buckets of sawdust into the bilge and used it to mop up. Will give it a wash with detergent before launch.

Is that a keel bolt I see before me?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Is that a keel bolt I see before me?
    Yep

Having recently taken possession of a residence not to far away I look forward to a closer inspection sometime this summer.