Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Default Re: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Two top coats of semi gloss enamel. I used base white with two drops of brown and one of yellow added as a tint. I read somewhere that to pick up the tones of the space add a drop or two of those tones to the white so as the cabin sides and trim is wood i went with those tints. I was aiming to push the white towards a cream and I think it worked well.

I used a different paint for the bilge

All done except for under the engine and aft. That's for this year after the engine is removed in a week or two.

Last edited by Hallam; 04-29-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Interesting bit of history...I found this paper clipping behind the lining above the bunk with a funeral notice from 1954. I was told the boat was built in 1956, maybe that was launch date, or the paper was a year old of the boat was built a year or two earlier. What it does indicate though is that it has never been cleaned or repainted behind the lining since it was built!

Last edited by Hallam; 04-29-2021 at 07:43 PM.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Another detail I was given about Warana that was incorrect. is that she was planked with Tallowood. I had my doubts when I bought tallowood flooring to repair the deck. I am now convinced the planking is Iroko. I read that Jack Gutierrez used Iroko and as the Wooden Boat Shop uses Iroko, i bought some to do deck repairs.

I sanded and painted the inside cabin top as well.

There were a couple of holes to fill were the dunny had been plumbed so i filled them with bog!! Joking! I got someone who knew what they where doing to do that job.
    Wayne Parr cut some plugs from Iroko with a step in them.

Bruce Cockburn

The instrument panel and upright console in the center of the companionway is disconnected and removed and shaft etc decoupled ready to lift the engine out on Saturday morning.
    I wont put the console back as its removal have opened up the space. I think i will make an instrument panel on a sloping panel at the back of a remade engine box.

Bruce Cockburn

You may have already mentioned it but I can’t see where: what engine are you gong for?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I was lucky enough to be offered a replacement for my trusty and slightly rusty old Perkins 4108. The new 4108 has only done about 500 hours and was the pump engine on a fire fighting boat Crib Point Engineering built for the port at Hastings. Regularly serviced and when Crib point engineering bought the boat back I was told about the engine and offered it for a very good price by them. The owner, Ted Banks did the last trip to Hobart for the WBF on Jane Kerr when I was on Storm Bay and that’s how the engine found its new home, over a chat with Ted, Tim Phillips and I. So I have an exact replacement engine so no need to re engineer engine beds etc. And as there was nothing major wrong with the current 4108 except oil leaks and getting a bit tired, I now have a full kit of spare parts. I will be putting on the Walker air sep filter that gives negative pressure in the sump. So what I have saved in the re engine of the boat I have been able to put to other areas that need to be covered like standing rigging etc, new shaft bearings and drip less seal, and some new fuel tanks under the cockpit floor to increase the range. The existing tank is 40 litres and I’m thinking of adding two more 40 litre tanks for a total of 120.
    Last edited by Hallam; 05-05-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

Engine removed with no problems encountered. The yards forklift made short work of it as it has an attachment that can be maneuvered into the boat through the companionway.

We will clean the engine with degreaser and high pressure wash down then take it to my home garage where we will remove the gearbox, give it a clean and paint and put it on the replacement motor.

Bruce Cockburn

With the lockdown I have not been able to work at the boatyard until now so work has resumed and I'm stripping paint from the cabin top and sanding the deck during good weather and have been cleaning up the Borg Warner gearbox ready for a paint.

Bruce Cockburn

the shaft is made uo of two sections. Aft is stainless and then theres a joiner with the next a mild steel. The clamp joiner was a bit rusted and so I applied diesel to soak the nits and bolts etc for the past few weeks then got the heat gun onto it and got it apart with a bit of not so gentle persuasion. There are four bolts that pull the disks tight over the sleeve clamping the two sections of the shaft together. I will cleen up the steel section and sand blast then paint with coal tar epoxy. I need a new stainless steel shaft section as this one is pitted.

Bruce Cockburn

Good to see you back at it
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Larks. It's worked out every two years I get another lot of work done. This haul out I'm determined to get the mast and rigging done and get her sailing along with the new motor and a paint job on the cabin top.

Bruce Cockburn

What is 'coal tar epoxy'?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Okay, I looked it up! I've actually seen it used quite a lot but didn't realise that's what it was. I wonder how it compares to a good rust converter? I find engine mounts seem to rust readily if they get any saltwater on them at all so I'm considering alternatives for protecting them.
    Rick

An expensive alternative I just came across is Rustbullet but I haven’t heard of anyone recommending it. I think theCoal tar epoxy can go directly onto the bare metal. I will check if needed, what to use as a primer after sandblasting but if it’s suitable under the epoxy I will use my tin of Penetrol as the primer. You can tell I’m making it up as I go along!
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-16-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

I’ve used coal tar epoxy before and the biggest concern was the prep’ of the surface before application. It was a commercial job so we had to have a NACE 2 inspector on site immediately prior to application of the product to confirm the prep’ and to cover off on product warranty. No primer used and I’m pretty sure that’s because the coal tar epoxy/steel interface is integral to the rust protection, two coats applied and the NACE inspector had to inspect application thickness on each coat.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Great! Thanks for that. So I will apply straight onto the metal. I will warm it up a bit with the heat gun first.

Bruce Cockburn

Lockdowns has held up progress but I'm back at it taking a few weeks long service to get some solid progress. As I did forward of the engine last haul out in 2019 I'm stripping the paint from the engine aft. As the cockpit is open I have decided to use clear penetrating epoxy primer and 2 pack paint job. I was inclined to leave the red lead as it was a good coating still mostly in good condition but I wanted to check the condition of the ribs and as often happens once paint was removed i found several ribs with hairline type cracks. They are laminated in pairs and will need repair. Consequently the plans have changed from trying to get the boat back in the water by November to leaving it out until all the remaining work needed to be done is finished. Hopefully I can get her under cover over summer and once painted will keep salted water in the bilge and a humid air around the boat with a few shallow trays etc. By end of January I'm hoping the jobs will be completed as I will work more or less full time on her over summer.

Bruce Cockburn

Great! But why put saltwater in the bilge? It really just causes more humidity in the boat and more likely to do damage than any drying out might. I think just keeping the boat covered and dry is best.
    Rick

How will you repair the cracked ribs?
    Rick

As the ribs are 2 pieces i will replace a length staggering the join. The pic shows the laminated 2 piece rib and I will stagger the join a couple of planks apart( not glued ) Re the salt water, fresh water rots the wood. I have put water in the bilge and a few handfuls of rock salt so the garboard etc stays tight if the boat is out in the warmer weather. The idea is to keep humidity high so the boat doesn't open up over summer.
    This is a good rib. I will post a pic of a cracked one when i'm at the boat tomorrow.

Bruce Cockburn

They usually crack where they take that tight turn into the bilge. The laminates were invariably steamed and then forced into place so commonly cracked later on. Actually, it wasn't uncommon for some to crack right away. Making up laminated sections with thin strips and epoxy is a better way to go. It's messy but much stronger and you can do it in stages, as you already plan to.

The 'salt in the bilges' concept isn't really such a good idea. Bilges' should be dry, not containing fresh or salty water. The humidity from bilge water does a lot of damage, to timber, to metal, to wiring, electronics etc., along with giving too many boats that horrible smell. Humidity from bilge water won't stop planning from opening up across a dry summer. The best way is to keep the boat covered but well ventilated. Shade it so that any opening up is evenly distributed.
    Rick