Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Default Re: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Having recently taken possession of a residence not to far away I look forward to a closer inspection sometime this summer.
    Great, we'll have to arrange a time. I will pm my phone number.

Back in the water:

There was no more than a cup or two of water in the bilge after an hour so I'm happy about that. I fitted a new you beut bilge pump and float switch just in case .
    Giving the inside a good wash with sea water over the next few days.
    Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:56 PM.

She looks very handsome indeed.

Very nice

Warana is back out of the water untill late October, early November for the next stage of work. This time around we are working on stripping the cabin sides and doing the CPES and epoxy paint job, same as the hull was done last time. We are also replacing the Baltic Pine cabin sole planks with Celery Top i got on my last trip to Tasmania. Third job on the list will be getting the new mast and rigging in place for some summer trials with the new gaff rigg. Contrary to my earlier post about balast, I will probably put some more lead ingots inside. Also I will be making a couta boat style curved bow sprit, stripping and re varnishing the mast I have and making up a boom and gaff. The engine ancillaries of the motor, a Perkins 4108 will also get some needed attention. The Jabsco raw water pump needs a rebuild, the heat exchanger needs new anodes and a clean and hoses need replacing.

The work on the deck last time around worked out better than I thought with sealing the seams and where the cabin side met the deck. Some seams where so tight I assume they where glued by what was used when the dynal was fixed so they where not seled with the caulking compound I used.
    There where a few minor leaks so i will caulk all seams as I'm thinking when she is sailing under load shipping a few bow waves etc, it will be a different story and leaks may appear.
    A look ad the deck planking after a hose down:

Last edited by Hallam; 07-24-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: trying to embed a bloddy photo!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

On the last trip on Warana a few weeks before haul out, we went to Queenscliff and I recorded some of my guitar playing. It sounds like I was in a winter melancholy mood.
    Sorry about average sound and video quality from the iPhone, but it was a case of strike while the iron is hot. These are notepad recordings so I don't forget an idea....my phone is full of them and some get a future work out.

Hallam, in Mornington the Quirky Collective has a framed copy in good condition of the original Blairgowrie subdivision if you are interested. A few photo's printed on it, the Hygea, the estate gate, a Vauxhall 30/98 on the road in, the back beach. About 1929 I think.
    I did not ask the price.

Thanks, I might have some time this weekend to check it out. I have a few interesting copies of lithograph prints of Melbourne in the early days. Have you ever come across the subdivision maps of Crib Point? They are interesting on a few accounts, especially with respect to what was planned for and what eventuated.

Always wished I could make a nice sound on a guitar.

Been a bit slack on updating progress with Warana. I will also finish re posting the lost photo bucket pics.
    A lot of prep on the cabin sides exterior and interior over the last few weeks. As the weather has been crook it gave me an opportunity to strip the inside of the cabin ready for clear finish. I will use Tung oil. The cabin sides are Sugar Pine and there is a nice chocolate color timber used in the upper frame of the cabin. Outside I have stripped the cabin sides given them a good soaking of clear penetrating epoxy and a few coats of the epoxy undercoat to build up a good base. There where a few cracks that I drilled at the end to prevent further cracking and worked fix it glue into them.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-17-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Typo's

.......and after yesterday's painting.
    Next job is a bit of filling and fairing then one more undercoat before the high gloss final coats.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-17-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Looking great. I can see some sailing in the future, our boats in convoy.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Warana chasing Arawana trying desperately to keep up with Bruce's blistering pace? I'm hoping to have Warana ready for a cruise to Tassy in 2019 for the festival. Mostly daylight hops across Bass Strait from the Prom and down the east coast with some fishing along the way. Will carry a cray pot and a one pot license for tas waters. Sounds like a distinct possibility. Or a cruise around the Islands of Port Lincoln maybe.
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-24-2017 at 04:09 AM.

A deck concert on the Jane Kerr at this years festival. On trumpet is Ray the Red Hill Baker. He did the journey on his Lacco motorsailer.
    Not sure who the guitarist is and Garry Kerr is on the right.
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-24-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Warana chasing Arawana trying desperately to keep up with Bruce's blistering pace? I'm hoping to have Warana ready for a cruise to Tassy in 2019 for the festival. Mostly daylight hops across Bass Strait from the Prom and down the east coast with some fishing along the way. Will carry a cray pot and a one pot license for tas waters. Sounds like a distinct possibility. Or a cruise around the Islands of Port Lincoln maybe.
    Both sound good.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Nice to see some progress. What penetrating epoxy are you using Hallam? And are you finding that is penetrating as well as you’d like or as well as it should?

Re using tung oil inside, I’ve not been having much luck with tung oil and getting it to properly dry for some reason. I wondered if it was a batch thing or perhaps the age of the tin that I was using so tried a second tin but same result so I’d be interested in hearing how you go with it and how you apply it. I went strictly by the OEM instructions (Feast Watson) but no great joy.

However I’ve always had terrific results with Scandinavian oil/Danish oil on timber throughout my house (kitchen bench, mantle piece etc) so am using that on my clear finished interior timber on the boat - other than an area of the hull side that I’ve left as clear finished huon pine that I’ve used a gloss varnish on - but which I’ve decided I’ll tone down with a satin finish.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'm using Norseal by Norglass and it soaked in really well on the sugar pine as long as the surface was clean of the earlier finish.

With the Tung oil I use a pure Tung oil supplied by www.thewoodworks.com.au
    I mix it with pure gum turps from the hardware store, about a third. I t hardened up ok. I applied with a rag and used a wet and dry rubdown with the first few coats so the dust worked with the Tung oil as a filler for small cracks and grain. I think with the feast Watson Tung oil is only an ingredient.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-17-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Tarp is on the boat and the rain is steady so it's inside work today and a nice steak for lunch

Last edited by Hallam; 12-17-2018 at 12:09 AM.

I was sanding the cockpit seats when it became apparent that there was a bit of movement in the joinery and I knew they whern't up to the same standard as the rest of the build so I thought i would take them out, sand and paint them in the workshop and refit them.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-17-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Once they where removed I was a bit overwhelmed by the roominess i now had at my disposal and have decided to leave them out while i figure out a better design for the space.

As the seat where the fridge was installed was more solid I have decided to leave that in to keep the coldy's cold and for provisions. The fuel tanks have also been removed for a clean and paint and I wanted to check the area to see if it needed any attention.After a poke around, some preventative maintenance will be a good idea and the fuel tanks will need to be re fitted in a more secure manner as I intend to do some coastal cruising and want everything securley fitted. The tanks where sitting on a frame but where not otherwise held in position.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-17-2018 at 12:12 AM.

This has also given me a few hints on what was probably the original fit out. The lining is a beautiful timber and where once varnished. I wish I had a few photos of the boat when she was first built.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-17-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Nice - it looks like cedar. The paint seems to be coming off nicely and it seems to be in great shape - cool
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yes it looks like cedar but harder than the Queensland cedar I have seen in furniture and that made me think maybe it isn't. I suppose there are variations in the hardness of cedar, and I know the builder had a great selection of timber back in the day. In one of the boats he built I know he used African Mahogany extensively so possibly this may be African Mahogany if it's harder than Qld cedar. Paint is coming off easy and there is old varnish under the paint that melts and scrapes off with little effort. I will be giving it the tung oil treatment. There is so much to do I'm thinking it will still need work to be finished when its time to get her back in the water because of the warm weather. I'm amping up the work schedule sanding and prepping the tank, working on the deck and also doing some rust removal and painting areas on the engine that need it......also giving the daicon heat exchanger a clean.
    All stuff that should be done every few years. A mate who is a pilot has a tiger moth and owns a complete spare engine that is rebuilt by an older chap in Mt Gambier who is the go to mechanic for the job. That way he always has the spare rebuilt and ready to go. I know plane engines by law have to be rebuilt after an allocated number hours. That made me think of my engine, a Perkins 4108 from 1988 and how it must be due a rebuild soon even though it's going well with no signs of trouble except the bit of oil leak. Any way I was chatting to a local engineer about it and he lit up and said he had a rebuilt 4108 I can have for $1500. I had been thinking of re engining when i retire but i need to be frugal in every department if i am to enjoy owning this boat in the long term. So this rebuilt 4108 reminded me of the tiger moth engine so I now have a spare ready to drop in when the current one shows signs of needing a rebuild. I'm convinced this is the sane economical way to go. No unnesicary expence of refitting a different motor etc etc.

Have been getting the mast ready with stripping the old varnish and giving a good sand and a few coats of tung oil. Today we worked on the base of the mast, reshaping it for the tabernacle on Warana. The mast was formally from a couta boat and stepped on the keel. Next will be a few coats of Cetol, then the rigging and blocks and fitting the anchor light and radio antenna.

Great to see an update Hallam. How’s the rest of the boat looking?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Cosmetically the paint job on the hull is looking like it needs a re coat with a few marks from some of my approaches to the marina dock but overall she is looking great. I gave the deck a sand and few coats of tung oil in November last year and re-sealed some deck seams i had used an inferior product on. It was too soft and separated in places resulting a few leaks. I tried tung oil for the timber edge to the cabin top and hand rails etc but its time to use a more long lasting product so will go with a few coats of clear cetol. I've also got some spotted gum flooring in the shed for the cabin sole i picked up as offcuts for $50 and a 6 pack of beer. The baltic pine now there has had it's day and it's the next job after the mast and rigging.

pics from the last haul out and job list:

Last edited by Hallam; 01-08-2019 at 06:14 PM.

and some interior pics:

the choice of lovely timber in the build continues to be revealed:

....and back in the water:

Back out for another round of work. Motored from Blairgowrie to Sorrento in a 30 knot westerly but the boatramp at Sorrento is protected by Point King so it was no trouble getting her on the Wooden Boatshop's 30 ft boat trailer. Bit slow going up the hill though!

Made it to the yard!

The boat has been in for two years so the antifoul has done it's job....mostly. I park her in the shallows once or twice during the year and clean the prop, finishing off with wet and dry sandpaper. That's all she needs, none of this propspeed business!

Ready for a blast from the Gerni!

Hi Hallam. Re the cedar cockpit lining, I was always told that there were two Australian varieties, one harder than the other. But I cannot find any info on that. Could it be related to temperature and tree growth? The northern trees softer because of quicker growth and larger tree ring gaps than southern slower growing trees?

Subscribed! I love this boat!

Rick

She's a classic!

As mentioned in the Antipodean thread ( Antipodean Boats Connection - Page 1373 ) during the last bout of fine weather i anchored in the shallows and removed the bunk lining and head closet to prepare for laying new spotted gum flooring. The boards I have are lining boards so a bit thinner and lighter than full thickness spotted gum flooring. I rang my brother who's a builder in Tassy asking if he could get some huon pine shorts to redo the bunk lining and forward bulkhead. He said he had no suitable huon but had just picked up two ton of air dried and milled blackwood, some of which will be suitable for lining. So I think that will do the job nicely. I will also keep some for guitar back and sides.

Well done, and yes Blackwood will be nice. Quite a bit of the trim on my boat is Blackwood I think.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk