Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Default Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Today we got the mast fitted to Warana 11. We have had her for 12 weeks now and things are starting to come together. Next we will have the main sail looked at as it needs repair in a few places and plastic runners need to be sown in.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Default Re: Warana 11 Blairgowrie Victoria

Blairgowrie, eh? I spent many great holidays at Blairgowrie when I was a kid. A long time ago now -- before the sea wall was built. You could sit up the back of the beach under the shade of the tea-trees.

The last time I was there was when a mate and I, in his new tri, had taken the whole day to get there, ghosting down from Williamstown under the lightest of easterly breezes. Then when the night breeze got up, steaming up through the moorings at around 10:00 pm under a full moon. A bit hairy, that was....

That's a nice-looking boat you've got there, Hallam. Can I take it from the spreaders that she's bermudan-rigged? In any case, you're going to find that loco-cab jolly useful.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Yes she's bermudan rigged. The mast hasn't been up for ten years and the mainsail needs some repair and plastic runners added. I'm also looking around for a second hand sail as it might be a better option. I must admit I'm not an experienced sailor so I will get someone who knows to look at the mainsail and give me his recommendation. Originally the sail was rope fed up the slot in the mast, but it was big enough for an aluminium track to be inserted. The previous owner had this done but never got to put the mast back up.
    I love the "Loco Cab" definitely built for comfort. I have been motoring around here, mid winter chills and all, and it's simple to fit the auto pilot and stand under the cab to keep an eye on things. Actually when there is a high passing the weather is lovely especially after the morning chill.

Looks nice. Some of those still clear winters days are the best. Do you know anything of her history? And surely you have more pics to share!

She was built by Jack Guiterrez of Brighton Victoria in 1956, and I'm doing some research into him as a builder and Warana 11. Jack build several yachts and most of the cadet sailing dingys for the Brighton Yacht Club. He is highly regarded among those left in the boat building trade. For all her life Warana 11 has been owned by members of the Brighton or Sandringham Yacht clubs and has a trophy named after her in the Sandringham club. I will be getting in touch with the archivist at Brighton in an attempt to contact past owners and hopefully get pics and info of her in her original state which I suspect is pretty much as she is now.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Looks nice. Not a whole lot of keel though.

Oh boy, what a lovely wide companion.

In inclement weather could you helm from inside the loco-cab, maybe with a tiller extension?

Mike

Yes it has a tiller extension fitted so it has the welcome option of being able to helm from the shelter of the loco- cab when needed. Also the early version auto pilot is a great bit of kit and I nearly always use it when motoring. A mate made the timely caution that the auto pilot is "blind" , so keep a good watch! So far it's proving to be quite a comfortable boat.
    Not much keel, agreed, she draws 3 foot 6", has lead fitted in the keel and a copper shoe the length of the keel with a fair bit of internal lead ballast. I have been told she weighs 6 ton. The hull planking is full length Tallowwood in very good condition so she is of pretty solid construction. The deck is planked and covered with painted canvas. There are some spots where rain water can seep in between the canvass and deck timber so that needs to be an early priority to look at. I have two opening port holes i will fit as they are the same diameter as the forward port and starboard round windows. I also have been collecting bronze fittings over the years for the day I get a suitable boat.........finally here, so there is a vent i will fit over the galley and four bronze air vents to fit.

Warana II (or is that eleven?) looks a treat!

Warana 2 I have had a look around the net for Warana 1. There is a Warana in Sydney belonging to Fred Bevis but it's from another builder. I found a Warana built in Melbourne that was the Australian protest yacht that attempted to sail into the French nuke tests zones in the French Polynesian islands. (They say the rigging glows a luminescent green at night ) ...........A book was written about the journey etc by Brian Crawford. Apparently they never made it due to problems. I think this one may have been built by Jack but have not had it confirmed. The word warana is from one of the aboriginal languages and means blue skies or fun in the sun.

Last edited by Hallam; 07-31-2017 at 11:38 PM.

'Fun in the sun' sounds right...

Any more photos please?

Mike

More pics....

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Comfortable is the word, she's a good looking boat Hallam.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

An Inside look at the radio's etc

And Electrics are nicely done:

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:29 PM.

I have been enjoying Warana for a few months now with fishing trips around the bay and a few overnight stays to Queenscliff. The tidal flow has been a steep learning curve and the heavy hull has quite some momentum when docking.
    After some work on the running rigging I got the headsail up for the first time tonight. 2.5 knots against the tide heading into a 10 knot breeze. The headsail looks loke a nice cut too but i'm a bit of a novice sailor.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: F_bucket- reposting pics......

Getting work done on the mainsail this week. As the mast now has an aluminium track up the bolt roap slot, I am getting the roap cut off the main sail and having plastic slugs fitted. The roap had also shrunk pulling the sail out of shape and there are a few miror repairs needed. I have a bag with all the running riging and pulleys etc that came with the boat but i will have to get help from someone with experience to get it all fitted and set up properly. I will set the main up loose footed on the recomendation of the sail maker.

The jib looks good, and the sheet angles seem correct. If you go loose footed on the main, make suure all the old fittings are off the top of the boom, otherwise they'lll snag the sail.

DDo you have any pictures of the bits of rigging, there's a lot of knowledge on here and someone may be able to "virtually" help you.

I haven't got pics of the rigging so will get some posted tomorrow.......... thanks for a good excuse to spend some time at the marina tonight
    here are some pics of the mast and mainsail i took a few days ago.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:37 PM.

the mainsail looks pretty ripe. Your sailmaker must be a good guy.

When I dropped it off for appraisal and repair I stated that I was hoping to get a year or two's use to see how she sailed with this sail plan etc, then I would be in a better position to make informed decisions before committing to having new sails made. He was all for it saying it's worth the $350 for another season or two given the expense of new sails. If he's a good guy he will have a repeat customer, won't he.
    As a genral rule of thumb, I don't want to change anything on the boat that aint brocken, so to speak. There is enough to do and spend on maintenance etc. That said, if after sailing and getting a few experienced sailors to fine tune and have a look at her performance, and chew the fat on different options for cruising, they can be worked out before cutting new sails. I am even open to exploring the option of going gaff rig so there is less tension on the hull if the current set up is not performing well. Judging from the rest of the boat, some how I think the people who set it up originaly knew what they where doing and she will perform quite well as once tuned.

Good looking boat Hallam, nice proportions and balance.
    I too spent my xmas and easter holidays at Blairgowrie, firstly in a van next to the Cunninghams of C class cat and aerofoil mast fame, then at my aunts house just back from the beach road. Cousin and I built an Australian Sailfish there in about 1962 which, after an extensive refit last year, is back in service.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    If he's a good guy he will have a repeat customer, won't he...
    And if he turns out to be not a good guy, then speak to Peter Green in Seaford.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I will keep him in mind.
    It must be my lucky day........... I just scored a 20 Ltr drum of red lead paint and it's in good nick, just as I've finished sanding the cockpit sides! This will be enough for spot repairs for a few years

Put the number two up while in the pen a few days ago to have a look.

and here are the pics of the running rigging:

first:

second:

third:
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-01-2017 at 12:33 AM.

my guess is the third is the main sheet, second is the downhaul, and first is the boom vang although it looks too long??

The hatch is an Douglas Fir frame with some form ply fixed on top with an overhand of about an inch. To stop the head sail sheet from snagging i will make a new cover with no overhang.

Looks like i should lower the number two as well.
    Last edited by Hallam; 12-02-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post

Looks like i should lower the number two as well.
    What, it's still up?

Yes.......

During January we got her sailing at last. These pics were taken on our return from an overnight stay at Saint Leonards, Port Phillip Bay. There is still a lot to do with seting the running riging properly etc and I'm sure frol looking at the pic some things will stand out as obvious. I'm thinking the headsail should be lowered closer to the deck etc. I only have wooden cleats and not those quick release ones on the head sail sheets as well.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Well, after the summer of fun it's time for some work to begin!
    Took Warana out of the water on the weekend, so now the work I have been wanting to do can get underway. After cleaning the hull, the first job was lifting the fiberglass sheet that coveres the laid timber deck. It was fairly easy to lift from the timber and so far with the starboard side done the deck timbers look in better shape than I imagined, with one section of about a square inch needing some attention.

High tide at Sorrento, mast off, ready for haul out:

On the trailer getting ready for the journey:

In the yard after a clean with the gurney:

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Like her underwater lines. Weight?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Like her underwater lines. Weight?
    When I bought her I was told the weight was six ton but towing her out, the driver who has done many boats reckons its a bid lighter than 6. The underwater lines are quite similar to the couta boats she is now parked next to in the yard and as Jack Gutierrez, the builder worked a lot with Charlie Peel, it is thought he is the designer, though nothing confirmed as yet. I have been in touch with Sandringham Yacht Club to see if past owners could shed light on as much info as possible including photos of original fit out and rig and I have also written to Afloat mag requesting the same.

I had an interesting experience while getting her ready to take out. I removed about half of the internal trimming balast about a week before haul out and while doing a day trip to south channel fort, noticed that after hitting the bow wave of the Sorento / Portsea ferry she stopped swaying a LOT quicker than i was used to, almost snapping back into stable position. She repeated this when I sought out a few other bow waves to test Also when reversing at the slip she was far more responsive to the rudder. I was told by the previous owner that she didn't reverse well and had got used to the fact, but she was a lot better behaved in this regard with some ballast removed so I'm now thinking she has been a bit over ballasted, and wasn't sitting at the sweet spot of her design.

First morning with the stripper! The old paint is coming off easily with the heat gun. She looks like new timber under the paint. Quite remarkable for a craft that is sixty years old.
    We are going to refinish with a two pack paint job.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Got a fair bit more done on Sunday:

Also lifted more fibreglass matt off the deck and gave it a sand to check the condition. Revealed nice timber after a light sand. The deck planks are tight without much seem. I think the reason she was glassed over was to stop leaks so i'm thinking that i might put a "V" in the seams and prime with bees wax, hammer some cotton and fill the seams with rubberised tar or Jeffery's Marine Glue if I can find some.

Last edited by Hallam; 12-16-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Very attractive design, I like the locomotive cab.
    The wooded areas look to be in very nice condition. I hope that you don't find any disappointments around the hatches and deck at the sheer.
    The question comes to mind... would priming the deck joints with bee's wax before caulking with oakum weaken the bond between the seam goop and the deck plank edges?
    Best wishes,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Marchuk View Post
    Very attractive design, I like the locomotive cab.
    The wooded areas look to be in very nice condition. I hope that you don't find any disappointments around the hatches and deck at the sheer.
    The question comes to mind... would priming the deck joints with bee's wax before caulking with oakum weaken the bond between the seam goop and the deck plank edges?
    Best wishes,
    Ian
    I am expecting to find a few areas that will need attention. So far with most of glass on the starboard side lifted I have found one patch about an 2 inches long where the deck plank edge meets the hull. A few more areas will show up most probably but hopefully will only need new wood spliced in or a length of planking replaced. I gave her a good looking over from underneath and found one area of the deck that needs attention from that perspective. All will be revealed on the weekend when we lift the rest of the fibreglass.

Re the bees wax I haven't had much experience but searching threads here on the subject, I lean towards the method outlined by Jay Greer:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ight=Deck+seam
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-01-2015 at 07:48 PM.