Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anguilla1980
    • Aug 2006

Who knows about M-class yachts?

My father owned Astrild. She was an M-class sailing yacht ordered by Benjamin Guggenheim in 1911, completed in 1913. Of course he never took deliver as he died on the Titanic.

She was destroyed (broken into 2) in 1989 in Ensenada Mexico. A hurricane left her bow on one side of the estuary and her stern on the other. By the time he got down there 5 days later, needless to say nothing was left but wood. My brother died a few months after. He was never the same until his death in 2010.

He had immaculately fully restored her in San Diego to "as-built" condition during the last 1970's/early 1980's. It was like a floating museum. I have great memories of living on her as a baby and young child, although not as many as I'd like, matter of fact they are very few because I was so young. My mom also had a Dragon which they had finished to look like a miniature of my dad's M-boat. Both had the exterior of the hull from the boot stripe up completely varnished only, no paint, they were gorgeous.

Anyway, it's difficult to find much info about M-class yachts on the internet. Seems J-boats are covered tho.

I recall Astrild had a sister boat in So-Cal, I have a picture of my mom behind the helm. I can't for the life of me remember the boats name though

Does anyone have a list of all of the M-class yachts that were built and possibly where they are today? I have lots of original items (steering wheel, binnacle, fire extinguisher, fog horn, etc) that I believe an interested owner may value and take care of.

I've read that there may be a boat called "Pursuit" which is in San Francisco? Does anyone have contact information for the owner?

First off, my intentions; it was my fathers life long dream to sail around the world the rest of his life on Astrild. He could not because I came along and he wanted me to have a proper education. He died absolutely broken hearted. IF I can find an original one, I would like to see if I could some how purchase her, god knows how at this point tho lol. The past 10 years I've also gotten the bug to sale around the world when my youngest son graduates high school in 7 years. At that point I'd be willing to sell literally everything I own to find an M-boat and fulfill
    the dream of my father and I.

Thanks!

Alex
    Last edited by anguilla1980; 02-20-2016, 09:21 AM.
    www.ClassicDragons.org
    1955 Børresen Dragon Class, "Tip"

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
    Its loveliness increases; it will never
    Pass into nothingness; but still will keep" - John Keats
  • ramillett
    • Oct 2007

Re: Who knows about M-class yachts?

Serious II was in Newport Beach at the Ardell marina tell the early 70's . Owned by the Amunsons ( the guy who owned Home Savings ) until he died. She was renamed back to her original name of Barlavinto ( proper spelling unknown )

Comment

• Jay Greer
      • Nov 2004

Nick Potter's M Boat "Endymion" was re-rigged as a schooner and spent many years in Newport Harbor CA until, sadly she was scrapped. I used to sit in her cockpit and eat my lunch when I had my yard in the sixties. The M Boat "Patalita", once owned by Howard Ahmanson also comes to mind. I believe she sank in the late forties. L. Francis Herreshoff's "Istalena" was a sweet boat but was too complicated in her rig for most of those who sailed her to understand. "Pursuit" is still located in Sausilito.
      Jay

Comment

• anguilla1980
        • Aug 2006

Thanks for the info!

BTW, Patolita was renamed to Barlovento in 1957 by Frank Hooykaas. Also Pursuit was originally named Avatar.

Here is my list so far from what I could find and from what has been said here:

1) Astrild - Benjamin Guggenheim. Designed by John Alden, built by George Lawley & Sons, Neponset MA. 55 Tons. Ordered 1911 NY yacht club, delivered 1913 to the US west coast. Destroyed 1989 in Ensenada Mexico, owned by Scott Claytor. Had been absolutely meticulously top-to-bottom restored back to original 1913 condition by Scott in the very early 80s. Originally 86' on deck but was extended on the bow and stern for more graceful lines. Coast Guard used her as a training vessel around Catalina during WWII and she was painted battleship grey inside and out. Cynthia was her name after WWII until Scott renamed her back to Astrild.

2) Escapade II "Serena" - Astrild's so-called "sister" that was in the So-Cal area in the late 70's/early 80's. Original name was Amorilla. Built 1916. 58.25 tons. http://www.aldendesigns.com/99years/....php?ID=58&s=1

3) Prestige - Harold Vanderbilt. Ordered 1926

4) Windward - Winthrop Aldrich. Ordered 1926. Broke up on the beach in Yelapa, Mexico in 1958.

5) Istalena - George Pynchon. Ordered 1929. Renamed to Sabre. Scrapped.

6) Avatar - 1929. Aluminum Mast. Now named Pursuit and in Sausalito CA, owned by Ron.

7) Patolita - Renamed to Barlovento in 1957 by Frank Hooykaas. Then named Sirius II, then Formidable. In Holland to be renamed Simba.

8) Endymion - Donald Douglas. Nick Potter. Scrapped in Newport Harbor.
        Last edited by anguilla1980; 02-20-2016, 09:21 AM.
        www.ClassicDragons.org

Comment

• Jay Greer
          • Nov 2004

I wish I had more info to contribute. These are fantastic boats!
          Jay

Comment

• pro from dover
            • Mar 2009

Sirius II, ex Barlovento sold in 1980 an renamed Formidable, sailed from Newport Beach to Ft. Laudedale. I was a watch captain for the delivery. The boat had been almost rebuilt from the keel up in the 1970's. I say almost because she was composite built with galvanized steel frames that I believe were not replaced and finally gave up the ghost. Saw pictures of her on the interweb a couple of years ago she was being rebuilt in Europe. Pictures I saw showed her with new keel and all new frames and floors and thats all there was. Waiting for planking, deck, interior and rig.

Comment

• anguilla1980
              • Aug 2006

Thanks for the extra info! I updated my list above!

Alex
              www.ClassicDragons.org

Comment

• pro from dover
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by pro from dover
                Sirius II, ex Barlovento sold in 1980 an renamed Formidable, sailed from Newport Beach to Ft. Laudedale. I was a watch captain for the delivery. The boat had been almost rebuilt from the keel up in the 1970's. I say almost because she was composite built with galvanized steel frames that I believe were not replaced and finally gave up the ghost. Saw pictures of her on the interweb a couple of years ago she was being rebuilt in Europe. Pictures I saw showed her with new keel and all new frames and floors and thats all there was. Waiting for planking, deck, interior and rig.
                Its being rebuilt in Holland and back to its original name Simba. It was 2007 when I last followed up

Comment

• JamesCaird
                  • Nov 2004

But Jay- what ultimately came of Istalena? Does anyone know?/ JC

Comment

• Jay Greer
                    • Nov 2004

As far as I know, Istalena was scrapped. Sad, she was a fantastic boat that was light years ahead of her time.
                    Her canoe stern was, according to her designer LFH, inspired by Viking long ships. Her hardware was innovative as well but foreign to her crew. In short she was too sophisticated for the crews of that time to learn new approaches to sailing. Back then we didn't have Boss Coutts to coach the crew.
                    Jay

Comment

• anguilla1980
                      • Aug 2006

Any idea where and when she was scrapped? That is very sad to hear
                      www.ClassicDragons.org

Comment

• Pitsligo
                        • Aug 2009

Photos, anyone? For those of us who don't know the breed?

Comment

• CATALINA GUY
                          • Feb 2013

Endymion if I'am correct was built for Donald Douglas by Wilmington boat works in the 30's Origionaly rigged as a schooner, she was the largest boat built by WILBO. Douglas changed her rig to a cutter after he lost a race to his good friend who owned John Deer Mfg,

Windward was broght to the Wst cast by Cyril Tobinwho was past Commodore of the St Francis Y C. On his Transpac attept Winward lost her mast shortly after the start,Was lost on beach after a rce to Mexico keyboard is crewed up cat correct mistakes sorry

Comment

• CATALINA GUY
                            • Feb 2013

Photos available if you look up R C Keefs story about Windward

Comment

• anguilla1980
                              • Aug 2006

Bump for anyone else who may have more information to contribute...

Also I verified that Astrild's sister boat was indeed named Sirena with my mom. Does anyone remember an M-boat named Sirena that was in the So-Cal area in the early 1980s?

Alex
                              www.ClassicDragons.org

Comment

Working...