Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who knows about M-class yachts?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Who knows about M-class yachts?

I have been anchored in Sandy Ground for a month. Leaving tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I have been anchored in Sandy Ground for a month. Leaving tomorrow!
    Nice! Then I can see your boat from my house, I'm on the edge of the cliff in South Hill. I'm about the 3rd house in from the very last one you can see when looking SSW from Road Bay.
    www.ClassicDragons.org
    1955 Børresen Dragon Class, "Tip"

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
    Its loveliness increases; it will never
    Pass into nothingness; but still will keep" - John Keats

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
    Jay, any idea where she is or how I would contact the owners?!

Glad to see more responses to my thread!

Great news too, in going through my father's things, I have found ALL of the photos of Astrild, hundreds and hundreds or her, from before restoration until her destruction. In about a month I will have a scanner and get some posted! Wait until you see her hull varnished stem to stern! I'll post pics of my mom's Dragon too that they also varnished.
    Check your private mail. i sent you the address of Walt Pikula who was her skipper when Ken Demuse owned her.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 01-25-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Check your private mail. i sent you the address of Walt Pikula who was her skipper when Ken Demuse owned her.
    Jay
    Received, thank you!
    www.ClassicDragons.org

piece online in Latitude 38, mentions the loss of Windward in Yelapa, MX, with photo of the yacht up on the beach...

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...5#.VrJXYbHTmpc

I have come across some solid information on Istalena while she was on Lake Michigan. I've been in contact with the Nordberg family who owned the boat in Milwaukee and then with some of the old crew when Istalena was sold to Roman Brotz in Sheboygan, WI and converted to a ketch. Her name was then changed to Sabre. I need to get organized with the information prior to posting photos. There is also some research going on with the history of her demise. The attempt to produce new M Class boats to the Universal Rule has kick-off this interest.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dillon View Post
    I have come across some solid information on Istalena while she was on Lake Michigan. I've been in contact with the Nordberg family who owned the boat in Milwaukee and then with some of the old crew when Istalena was sold to Roman Brotz in Sheboygan, WI and converted to a ketch. Her name was then changed to Sabre. I need to get organized with the information prior to posting photos. There is also some research going on with the history of her demise. The attempt to produce new M Class boats to the Universal Rule has kick-off this interest.
    Great info, I really look forward to hearing the story!
    www.ClassicDragons.org

Here are a couple pictures of Astrild in Ensenada Mexico less than a week after Hurricane Raymond in 1989 (9 years after her restoration). My father is in the first picture. You can see her bow is on one side of the channel and the stern on the other. Absolutely heart breaking. My uncle felt the scene was so sad that he photographed in black and white.

I have found all of our photo albums and will in the coming weeks be scanning lots of colour pictures of Astrild before/during/after complete her restoration.

Jay, I have been so busy with work/life/shipping container/etc I haven't even made the time yet to call about Serena. I still plan to though soon!

Alex

Last edited by anguilla1980; 02-28-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    www.ClassicDragons.org

Here is a quick teaser....

www.ClassicDragons.org

Alex those pictures of "Astrid" made my gut wrench! What a shame! I remember when she was lost. I saw Walt Pekula at Rex Bank's services two weeks ago and asked if you had contacted him.
    Indeed he is looking forward to hearing from you concerning your interest in "Serena". However, my money is on Byron Chamberlain having more info as he went back to see her a while back.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 02-28-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Indeed, I did email Byron but only recently. Perhaps I will hear something back soon.

Alex
    www.ClassicDragons.org

I heard back from Byron about Serena, more to come on that later.

Here are before and after restoration pics of Astrild:

www.ClassicDragons.org

This photo is of a scale model of M-10 Istalena / Sabre at the Sheboygan Yacht Club in Sheboygan, WI. You'll note she is rigged as a ketch at this point. This was done after Roman Brotz bought her from Bruno Nordberg in Milwaukee.

I'd have called Istalena a yawl. The mizzen is pushing or might be a nudge over one ketch/yawl distinction where the latter has a mizzen < 1/5 the area of the main, but the other two yawl criteria - mizzen aft of the rudder post or aft of the aft most point of immersion are met.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I'd have called Istalena a yawl. The mizzen is pushing or might be a nudge over one ketch/yawl distinction where the latter has a mizzen < 1/5 the area of the main, but the other two yawl criteria - mizzen aft of the rudder post or aft of the aft most point of immersion are met.
    Thanks Ian, my mistake for calling her a ketch! Good catch. The original mast was 100 feet above the deck. 6 feet was cut off during the yawl conversion and the mizzen was 40 feet. They had the presence of mind to keep the cut off sections.....

Hello--just noticed this thread. I have been associated with 'PURSUIT' for almost 20 years, having spent most of 1998 on my knees re-decking her with her owner (who bought her in the early 1960's in LA), and repairing/replacing various aspects of mahogany deck furniture. Back then, it seemed very unlikely that the man would ever see her sail again; but he's not a quitter, and several years ago, we took a victory lap around the SF bay under only a giant Genoa headsail. Soon thereafter, a new main showed up from Port Townsend, and since then she has returned to being a fixture on the bay, doing Master Mariner's Regatta (in her own class of one, last to start!), and relatively frequent daysails out the Gate. She is very much a functioning sailboat, and a good one at that. Sails beautifully--very light helm, and can be handled effectively by a crew of 14-20 volunteers, under working sail. The mainsheet is a monster, there's an early coffee-grinder winch on the very stern, with a completely cylindrical drum which will override if you're not on your game. She actually has a spruce mast, 103' from keel to truck, though it may not be the original. The owner is now very well along in years, and thinking a great deal about succession these days. He sailed her in the Transpac twice, in the 1960's, but I'm not sure about a circumnavigation: long-ended boats are perhaps not the ideal concept for this purpose--especially antique ones...

Great story, thanks for sharing! So awesome to hear about such a loving and dedicated owner who actually sails her and treats her as she should be.

I would drive the 10 hours round trip just to volunteer on board her if I was given the chance! I'm working only 5hrs away right now in Bakersfield CA.
    www.ClassicDragons.org

You're involved with a great boat! I think Pursuit is one of the last M's still sailing. You have to give Ron credit. She has to be a thrill to sail....

Quote Originally Posted by jerfishersmith View Post
    Hello--just noticed this thread. I have been associated with 'PURSUIT' for almost 20 years, having spent most of 1998 on my knees re-decking her with her owner (who bought her in the early 1960's in LA), and repairing/replacing various aspects of mahogany deck furniture. Back then, it seemed very unlikely that the man would ever see her sail again; but he's not a quitter, and several years ago, we took a victory lap around the SF bay under only a giant Genoa headsail. Soon thereafter, a new main showed up from Port Townsend, and since then she has returned to being a fixture on the bay, doing Master Mariner's Regatta (in her own class of one, last to start!), and relatively frequent daysails out the Gate. She is very much a functioning sailboat, and a good one at that. Sails beautifully--very light helm, and can be handled effectively by a crew of 14-20 volunteers, under working sail. The mainsheet is a monster, there's an early coffee-grinder winch on the very stern, with a completely cylindrical drum which will override if you're not on your game. She actually has a spruce mast, 103' from keel to truck, though it may not be the original. The owner is now very well along in years, and thinking a great deal about succession these days. He sailed her in the Transpac twice, in the 1960's, but I'm not sure about a circumnavigation: long-ended boats are perhaps not the ideal concept for this purpose--especially antique ones...