Thread: Sam Devlin's Candlefish 16 - old vs new design

Default Sam Devlin's Candlefish 16 - old vs new design

Not that I intend to build this boat, but I like the design and to look a little deeper into it, I ordered the downloadable study plans for 5$, a reasonable price.

This is the design as shown at their website which I refer to as the old Candlefish 16 (the one I am interested in): http://store.devlinboat.com/candlefish.aspx

Specifications
    Length: 15'-10 7/16"
    4,838mm
    Beam: 5'-9 13/16"
    1,757mm
    Draft: 6"
    152mm
    Displacement: 714 lbs
    324kg
    Power: Outboard motor
    Hull Dry Weight: 325 lbs
    Hull type:

I received the plans immediately and was pleased with the quality and the easy download-procedure.

But here is my complaint:

As I understand that designs are revised from time to time, the study plans I received show a complete new design and there is no reference to it at their website.
    Except for length, which is almost the same, specifications differ significantly and the lines to.

To give you an idea of the new Candlefish 16 here are the specifications from the study plans:

Length: 16'-2 1/2"

Beam: 6'-10"

Draft: 7 1/2"

The new design may be a great one, but it is not what I was looking for.

So I tried to send an e-mail for clarification, but mail delivery failed several times because apparently it did not pass their spam filter.
    It is no big deal and I am sorry for whining but I was hoping to get some kind of reaction.

Default Re: Sam Devlin's Candlefish 16 - old vs new design

And, well you should!

A foot change to the beam!?! That's an entirely different boat now. You would have to almost double your HP on your outboard to keep up with the other plans. I guess it really is the Toyota Tacoma of the boat world: small and practical originally and now big and not as economic.

Just ask for the old plans. I'm sure that can be arranged.

Do the new plans call it the "Candlefish 16"?

Agree, a boat with an extra foot of beam is not the same design and should certainly not be advertised as such. Granted he has probably covered his back in case of litigation by quoting plans can "be revised", but thats a big revision. I would have hoped he would be able to sort you out with original plans. You certainly did not get what you paid for, so its a fair enough rant. He really should update his webpage with a list of design revisions if they are that big, or maybe sell it as a MK2 version. A follow up is worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDonald View Post
    Just ask for the old plans. I'm sure that can be arranged.

Do the new plans call it the "Candlefish 16"?
    Yes, the design is called "Candlefish 16" in the new plans.
    I was hoping that somehow I could acquire the old plans, but my problem is that I failed several times to approach them by e-mail.

Every time I sent an e-mail, after getting a notification that the e-mail successfully went out, this is what I received (I replaced the actual addresses):

Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
    its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address
    failed:

"sam devlin' s e-mail address":
    SMTP error from remote server after transfer of mail text:
    host: inbound.devlinboat.com.netsolmail.net
    5.7.1 The message from (<my e-mail address>) with the subject of (studyplans candlefish 16) matches a profile the Internet community may consider spam. Please revise your message before resending.
    Yes, I did revise the message several times -- it did not make any difference.

I know I could also use snail mail, but that would be more effort than I am willing to make.

Any ideas what else to try?

I have sent them an email with a link to this thread. See if that gets through.

Brian

I sent an email 5 mins ago and not had a return. I did mention very briefly he may want to pop his head in. Hope it sorts out.

360 866 0164 allow for time difference.

If you paid by credit card, and it is within the 60 day window, do a charge-back.
    That will get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    I have sent them an email with a link to this thread. See if that gets through.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I sent an email 5 mins ago and not had a return. I did mention very briefly he may want to pop his head in. Hope it sorts out.
    Thank you for your efforts.

It seems that somehow their spam filter does not like my e-mail address.
    So I made another attempt, this time using my father's e-mail address and at least the e-mail was not rejected.

So I am hoping for the best.

Use the phone function of your smartphone. Call them. The number is on the bottom right of the homepage.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Thank you all for efforts.

Yes, calling them would be another option. But as I do not speak English fluently this might end in an awkward conversation. Also I have no idea about the costs for a call from Austria to the USA.

Anyway I am optimistic now to get some kind of reaction soon. I will keep you up.

All that fuss because of the 5$ study plans is kind of embarrassing but the old Candlefish 16 is such a nice design and I'd be happy to get more information about it.
    Also I think it is beneficial for Devlinboat to get feedback to help to improve their website.

Cheers,
    Stefan

Sam just replied to my email

"Brian: thanks for bringing my attention to this thread, I answered this
    morning about the update of the plans for the Candlefish
    16 and this appears to be the same person that started the thread. I
    appreciate the heads up and hope that we can satisfy his request... Best
    Regards Sam"

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 07-30-2014 at 10:00 AM.

All is good.

I just received a message by Mr. Devlin only a few hours after I finally succeeded to get into contact. I hope Mr. Devlin does not mind that I show you our conversation but I think it is the best way to give you insight and to put an end to this:

Me:
    Dear Mr. Devlin,
    as I failed several times to send you a message using my own e-mail address, I am now using another e-mail address, hoping to reach you.

Here is my original message:

Dear Mr. Devlin,
    I ordered the Candlefish 16 downloadable study plans on Wednesday, 7-23-2014 and received them immediately. I am pleased with quality of the plans and the easy download-procedure.

But here is my complaint:

As I understand that designs are revised from time to time, the study plans I received are for a completely new design and there is no reference to it at your website.
    Except for length, which is almost the same, specifications and also the lines differ significantly. Your website shows the drawing of a different design, the "old" one that I was interested in.

The new design may be a great one, but it is not what I was looking for.

So I am asking, are study plans for the "old" Candlefish 16 as shown at the website (length: 15'-10 7/16", beam: 5'-9 13/16", draft: 6") still available ?
    If they are, what can I do to order them?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Kind Regards,
    Stefan .......

Mr. Devlin's reply:

Stefan: You would need to directly call by telephone for placing that order.

As you guessed the plans have been revised as is our policy here to continually improve our offerings and I think we just weren't as complete about getting all aspects of the write-ups and other data in the website to jibe with the study plans and the complete plans, for that omission I apologize.
    We pride ourselves here at Devlin Boat in our attempt to answer emails and phone calls directly and with as prompt of response as we can possible manage and I apologize for your failed attempts to communicate not reaching me directly, I will check into my spam filters to see if I need to reset those options.

The reason why you would need to call in by phone is that we have no way to rescue the old version of the plans from the website, I can still handle the order as a direct download from my office but it would need to be hand placed by me into an email to get the proper files to you.

I hope that we can be of service to you in this matter and again apologize for any inconvenience.

regards Sam Devlin

One more time, thank you all, including Mr. Devlin for your help

Regards Stefan

I got a similar reply. I also had issues with a mail address after some DB used it to front spam....nightmare if you dont know!
    Sam on the ball anyway, and i liked his qoute " in an imperfect world I find I am far too often only one more vassal of imperfection'" ........im sure to remeber that one.

The issue of the new design is covered on the current website, or maybe in one of the articles floating around about it. Basic case of people want faster boats; bigger motors; so they can carry more gas. And probably a better hole shot.

What I don't get is why with 3 designs one of which uses the hull of an entirely different boat, why one can't simply offer both variants. I think in the article referred to he mentions he prefers, the original design, which is possibly why he designed it first. Elsewhere he often refers to skinny indigenous fishing boats with admiration, and even states these are the basis for such boats as the Pelicano, notwithstanding the fact that some of those have a shape like sunflower seed.

Here's another interesting thing. I just looked up the design, since I've always liked it, and on his site, in very tiny print next to the drawing of the boat, beam is listed as 6'10". Scroll down to the Specifications listed in bold headlines, and beam is 5' 9 13/16"
    etc.

I suppose the reasonable explanation is that the boat needs to be wider to deal with the greater weight of 4 strokes, and whatever their different performance may be. However, 2 stokes of the old variety are still for sale, as near as the Bahamas i understand. And also available in trades all over the place.