Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Sail & Oar: Show me your mast gate!

Default Re: Sail & Oar: Show me your mast gate!

darroch,

good point about the forward mast step. As you say, I'm only using the middle step, where it's easy to lift the mast out and put it in. I hadn't thought about what that would be like way up in the bow. A gate there makes all kinds of sense.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    By having a sharp transition from the full mast diameter to the spigot,rather than a gradual reduction,the notch was always going to be the point at which a break was more likely.
    But that hard transition from wide to narrow is also what creates the shoulder for the mast to sit on. It's a common feature for small boats with unstayed masts. If you don't make the same mistakes I made, I wouldn't expect any mast to break at the heel tenon. I'd expect a break at the partner if anything, and even that's not likely or common.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    A stout and short stub tenon on the mast foot, and a shallow-ish step to hold it, allowing the mast to tip back when lowering without acting as an enormous lever attempting to tear out the step...no lifting of the spar to get the tenon clear of the step...here is the foot of such an arrangement when in build—the epoxy encapsulated bit is the tenon—just a couple of small shoulders on the mast to locate it in the step:
    Attachment 30609

The step is shallow, only 3/4” deep, designed with weep holes to prevent standing water from attacking the mast foot:
    Attachment 30610

The boat has a raised fore deck abaft the step, and the designer thoughtfully placed cut outs in the supporting bulkhead as well as the foredeck itself to help guide the mast foot into the step when walking it into place:
    Attachment 30611
    Good stuff. I think this is the key, to have a shallow step so when the mast pivots aft there is not a lever effect on the step. And be sure either a downhaul or a halyard is attached to the boat so the rig is tied in.
    I like the guides for the mast to make stepper easier...
    threads like this get me thinkin'
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

A poor photo, 2'' hardwood and stainless boltsMast gate JIMJ.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead