Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sail & Oar: Show me your mast gate!

Default Sail & Oar: Show me your mast gate!

I'm putting together the prototype kit of Clint Chase's new Calender Islands Yawl (see http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ail-and-oar-16). Clint has been filling in the details as I go and the mast gate is one of the not-quite-filled-in details. This clip from Clint's general arraignment sheet shows the general idea:

Do you mind helping me (and Clint) fill in the details or maybe even come up with the ultimate crowd sourced mast gate?

Thanks,
    Jim

Default Re: Sail & Oar: Show me your mast gate!

When I was looking over Big Food one day I asked Tim Yeadon about mast gates, and how snug the fit should be. He pointed out that it should have a minimal slop so that one could easily pull the ( unstayed ) rig whilst underway in the boat. If it is getting dicey you want to be able to get the rig down quickly without wrestling with it.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

You can kind of see mine here:

The carriage bolts go all the way through. One goes through a hole in a stainless bar for a hinge, the other mates with a slot in the bar and has a wingnut to hand tighten it. Both are secured with nuts to the partners before passing through the stainless gate. It is very simple and effective.

Doing it again I'd go for something secured with a little wedge so I don't have to mess with turning a nut.

Here is a simple one from Dylan Winter's latest pics:

I need to make one also, hoping more ideas get posted.

Check WB 235 for Tom's bronze gate in Far and Away

Now you got me started making mine - came home and started drilling brass. This is a retro-fit onto a Walkabout, not part of the original Welsford design, so no blame to John if it does not work!

Brass strip screwed onto the bulkhead. I am going to cut through bulkhead and king plank along the slightly tapered marked lines, making the center section removable. Nut plates go behind the bulkhead at each side for threaded rod with knobs, and a hole and slot to be cut into the brass. (Better knobs to come later.)

Any objections to this please advise before I start cutting wood!

Rick

Here is what I am using on Rowan. The white oak partner block is held in place down into its notches with a bungee down to the base of the step. I am content with this solution.

I use a block that is surprisingly similar to James.

-Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I have a gate that I never use. It's probably stuck in place. I just lift my mast in and out of the partner. I took simple and simplified it further. It's good to have a little bit of slop in the fit of your mast on this sail and oar boats. You don't want things to stick in place when you're in a hurry.

It's not that big of a mast though. 15'4 by 3" ... it's a spruce birdsmouth spar that weighs 12 or 13 lbs. The new Hvalsoe will have a much larger mast. It'll need a gate. I'll probably just make one like post No. 7. It works fine. Though unlike the poster in 7, I'd never use white oak on a sail and oar boat. Puleeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I'll be copying James' as the forward bulkhead on JIM is aft the mast and I need to be able to drop it in over said bulkhead then secure it in place.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

There should be pictures of Peerie's mast gate in here, the same as the Orkney yole that Dylan posted. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Maa&highlight=
    However Photobucket seems to be down.

Now back
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 06-28-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Photobucket woke up.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

http://

This is a mast gate from one of Clint's earlier boats--can't recall if it was the Deblois St. Dory or Drake.....he did some modified drawings of a similar mechanism with some metal flat stock reinforcement as I was brainstorming the step for Waxwing.....

I am sorry, but I can't find the e-mails with those modified drawings that Clint sent me.....

I decided to make an interpretation of the Inishbofin clasp--it was great fun to make the patterns, and the foundry work was just ridiculous good fun--highly recommended, but maybe more involved than you want to go for this project......

And here, a leathered chain and wedge from a sail and oar boat by Francois Vivier......

Whaleboat arrangement.

The mast base runs in the channel as it's lifted. The ring holds the mast as it's lifted.

Ed

Herreshoff Coquina.

Uses compression toggles I think.

Ed

Was that a stock Herreshoff detail? Slick.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Or simplicity itself.....

Cool stuff here. John Hartman's is the "cool!" factor leader. I used to build foundry patterns for a living so I have a huge appreciation for what goes into that. I also have no intention of going there for the same reason. Also, the "ridiculously good fun" part of foundry work is long gone. McMullen's looks easy and effective and jsjpd1's looks like pretty much the same thing with a geometry that would work for my boat. The leathered chain is also elegantly simple. It took my mind toward something like a ratchet strap or a hefty version of the sort of ratchet buckle that you find in a ski boot. Skaraborkcraft's is pretty much the same as my leading contender prior to starting this thread. It is from a picture of unknown source that my son sent me of a Phoenix III, probably one of you guys built this:

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jimL55804; 06-28-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Simplicity of a gate with line lashing.

close up

And another rope gate used like the whale boat gate simply to help raise the mast on a stayed sail and oar rig, Alpha Dory.

Like Daniel's, simplicity. This uses the same hardware as the leathered chain pictured in an earlier post--eye bolt on one side of the mast, and a 1/2" bronze rod in place of a belaying pin on the other.

I appriciate like you the work involved in Johns creation, but like his post above, a couple of cleats or even one cleat and a hole with a short length of cord will generally suffice.

A polyethylene bushing extracted from a caster wheel can function as a locking device as well as a low friction surface for a rotating mast. The bushing locks the mast in place and a plywood sliding clip locks in the bushing. Works well.

Someone around here has a signature file the gist of which is "simpler is better except when complicated is cool". Yes indeed!

Jim

I like everyone's mast gates better than my idea, but since I already started and am limited as a retro-fit I made it anyway.

The pivot is a fixed bolt, held snug by a jam nut. The slot engages the screw with the rubber knob.

The center cut-out piece holds the mast. Just a few seconds to drop the plate and tighten the knob - this turned out better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by jimL55804 View Post
    Someone around here has a signature file the gist of which is "simpler is better except when complicated is cool". Yes indeed!

Jim
    "Someone" doesn't quite know how to take this quote. Should that "someone" apologize for his use of nontraditional materials, using a rotating mast that needs a low friction step, or the ease of which he cut and pasted the free information from another thread? Please advise.

My impression was he thinks its cool Ken. Easy to misinterpret sometimes.....i could be wrong....

How did you manage to post so many pictures together?

I combine them in Adobe PhotoShop first. That way the server will see two, three, or four combined images as one.

Maybe I'm sensitive to comments like that because of the incredible amount of crap I've had had to endure from traditionalist who simply do not want anything to change. Thinking outside or inside the box is my hobby. It always amazes me when feathers get ruffled when someone comes up with a nontraditional solution. If the vikings had had epoxy, I'm betting they would have figured out a way to use it.

Ah, Ken! You know, no matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

What the heck does that mean??? My future is a rumbling, tumbling state of flux with some epoxy thrown in there just for fun.

Last edited by kenjamin; 06-30-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Kenjamin:

What I meant is that your mast gate is totally cool! While I am very glad that many around here are keeping traditional methods and tools alive, I don't really have very much use for traditional stuff myself unless it is actually better (or sometimes if it is easier). I'm still trying to scheme up something on the lines of how a ratcheting ski boot buckle works. Hardly a traditional idea but I might still go with a rope or chain. Any endeavor like this needs people on the edge to keep things moving forward.

Jim

If rope lashings work why not industrial strength Velcro?

Still need a bit of slop to easily de-rig in a seaway, though.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Maybe the best yet, Gerarddm! Is there actually such a thing as industrial strength Velcro and if so, where can I get my hands on some?

Jim

Sioux City, Iowa (Idiot Out Walking Around)

Quote Originally Posted by jimL55804 View Post
    Maybe the best yet, Gerarddm! Is there actually such a thing as industrial strength Velcro and if so, where can I get my hands on some?

Jim
    Medical grade... I have a knee brace that I have used for two years... the velcro is still almost like new, even after washing, sweating, rubbing under clothes etc.
    Steve Lewis
    Formerly Lewisboats (don't try to change your email address!)

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks