Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: New build: Simmons Sea Skiff 18'

Default Re: New build: Simmons Sea Skiff 18'

That is looking very nice.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Mocked up a single side deck knee to see how the angles looked. The adjusted deck angle is 6.5* off horizontal. This pic as at mid ship. At the transom is almost level, as the deck moves forward it will twist with the changing sheer plank angle. In the mockup the coaming edge inside is not adjusted to be vertical but is perpendicular to the plane of the deck. The angle this gives the coaming seems to be so slight that I'm inclined to take the easy approach and leave it perpendicular to reduce the amount of beveling I have to do!

Wow, you're making good progress! I've been away from the Forum for quite awhile, and was pleased to see your progress. I'm still making progress on my 22 footer, even though I'm now into year 4 [and I thought I could build mine in one year!] So keep up the good work! Regarding your 2 'colored' configurations of side deck at the end of Forum page 3 - I'm liking the one on the right.....it "looks right". I also see by some of your other drawings, that you might be considering adding "storage cubby holes". I strongly suggest you seriously consider it. The space offered by the 'side deck blocks' is too good to pass up, I'm thinking. The "coaming" board is easily utilized as the face, simply by using a wider board. By adding a 1/4" bottom under your deck block, creates very nice storage, as far fore/aft as you can utilize. I did this in my build and love the usefulness and look it gives the boat. My buddy, who built the 18 a few years ago, told me he wished he had done that after he saw mine. Storage is at a premium in his boat.

You say also that you are going frameless.... a la 'middle ages man'. I considered doing that as well; especially having had first hand experience at frames at the WB School, building an 18. What a trial that was! But, I've hit upon a "revolutionary" method, using a hot glue method that will make side frame patterns waaay faster and more accurately. But since I have yet to be successful in adding pictures to my WB Forum page, I can only offer the pictures via E-mail.

Thanks. I've mocked up the side deck coaming as perpendicular to the angle of the side deck and the angle I can see is so slight in most places that it's hardly worth the effort to make it perfectly vertical. That should save some build time getting out all those angles (and getting them wrong no doubt!).

I've also modified my plan for the layout. I really wanted the V birth to work but I think it's too tight to be practical. I'm also concerned about running the boat alone and having it lean with me on the side. So I'm switching to a low center console with a single full width bench in front. One side of the bench will have a flip up panel to allow easy access with out crawling over when needed. The other 2/3rds will be enclosed and probably hold fuel and battery (if I can work that out our safely). I'll have netting in the front cubby to help store gear. There will be a cubby under the pilot seat and a drawer in the helm. Plus small item storage in the pockets either side of the motor well. I'm giving up some seating and storage with this change but again should get a faster build. I'll almost always have a med size cooler behind the pilots seat, that add another seat and I think 3 could fit on the full bench if needed. I don't really want more than 4 in the boat at time any way! I'll post the new layout later.

I like the sound of your coaming. As for 4 in an 18', that's a load!....it'll hold it, but I'm thinking of room to move. My 22' will take either 8 or 10 (I did the math while ago and have forgotten, but it's one of those numbers). But i'll never have that many. My basic limit for my own sanity is no more than 4.....5 if we're on the smaller side!! But that's still a bit much for me to want to deal with. "V" berth is nice, but I agree that it'd be quite tight. I like your move to the center console.

Quote Originally Posted by simmons22 View Post
    I like the sound of your coaming. As for 4 in an 18', that's a load!....it'll hold it, but I'm thinking of room to move. My 22' will take either 8 or 10 (I did the math while ago and have forgotten, but it's one of those numbers). But i'll never have that many. My basic limit for my own sanity is no more than 4.....5 if we're on the smaller side!! But that's still a bit much for me to want to deal with. "V" berth is nice, but I agree that it'd be quite tight. I like your move to the center console.
    4 for my family which is at least 50% kids (5 and 9) ; ) Or occasionally needing to ferry 4 adults across short bay to beach camping. But in general I'd only be out fishing with one (occasionally two) other adults. I do all this now in 14' flat bottom skiff, so any extra space is an improvement!

Started pattern for first deck beam. Discovered that because I opted to lean my side deck angle in rather than leave it perpendicular to the sheer plank, I have a mismatch between the angle of the deck beams and the top of the sheer and sheer strip angles. I think if I raise the deck beans a little the deck will run in a fair curve down to the edge of the sheer and I can then fill the cavity created from the back with thickened epoxy. Wish I'd have thought about this before alerting the sheer angle all the way to the stem!

welllll........ a few ways to look at this. 1 - yes, your "fill with epoxy" will work; but do you want to do that? 2 - Usually, the boat "dictates"...as in, your "inward deck angle" would then dictate the curve of your beam (I'm assuming this deck beam is for your 'bow cover'?). If so, then the deck beam would turn out to not be as humped as you might prefer, but rather would match the angle of the deck angle. But you'll have to determine that for your own eye. 3 - Got any 'softwood', like red cedar? Rip some thin strips that can be attached to the deck angle surface....then keeping the sheer line as your 'zero', plane the angle you'd like your deck beam to be, and re-adjust the hump accordingly....thus removing choice #1 above. So, there's 3 ways at least to look at this issue. It's not as big as one would be tempted to think....after all, it's a boat, and her lines don't lie. Personally, I like #3 above. It maintains all aspects of the boat/sheer/etc, and you just add a little "filler", so to speak, in the way of an easily done 'addition', and, 'there you have it'! And I'm sure with some thot on your part you can see other ideas that would work as well, or better. #4 option is the most "serious".....get the big plane out and change the deck angle. This is a serious move that might work, but you'd have to OK it with your eye/the boat/and everything that is going to match the "new" deck angle. Tread cautiously on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dmede View Post
    Got out the transom last week, and the motor well today. Will fair up the curves and epoxy next week. Slow progress, but progress.

Progress not perfection.
    Looks good!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by simmons22 View Post
    welllll........ a few ways to look at this. 1 - yes, your "fill with epoxy" will work; but do you want to do that? 2 - Usually, the boat "dictates"...as in, your "inward deck angle" would then dictate the curve of your beam (I'm assuming this deck beam is for your 'bow cover'?). If so, then the deck beam would turn out to not be as humped as you might prefer, but rather would match the angle of the deck angle. But you'll have to determine that for your own eye. 3 - Got any 'softwood', like red cedar? Rip some thin strips that can be attached to the deck angle surface....then keeping the sheer line as your 'zero', plane the angle you'd like your deck beam to be, and re-adjust the hump accordingly....thus removing choice #1 above. So, there's 3 ways at least to look at this issue. It's not as big as one would be tempted to think....after all, it's a boat, and her lines don't lie. Personally, I like #3 above. It maintains all aspects of the boat/sheer/etc, and you just add a little "filler", so to speak, in the way of an easily done 'addition', and, 'there you have it'! And I'm sure with some thot on your part you can see other ideas that would work as well, or better. #4 option is the most "serious".....get the big plane out and change the deck angle. This is a serious move that might work, but you'd have to OK it with your eye/the boat/and everything that is going to match the "new" deck angle. Tread cautiously on this one.
    No changing the side deck or sheer angle, it's set. I might want to reduce the curve in the fore deck some, but probably not all the way to the new sheer angle. I should have stopped planing the angle when I got to that point in the top of the sheer but just forgot to think about the next step in construction at that point.

I may try a combination of adding back a little wood to the top of the sheet under the fore deck to adjust the angle and reducing the curve in the deck as well to be less dramatic.

Howz it coming along? Had another idea.....clamp a temporary, wide (say 3" or so) outwale to the sheer up front. Clamp it at several 'heights', letting you see different angles to the foredeck. Once you settle on something - or not - you'll be able to see your way thru a little better. This is the part of boat building that's not in the plans.....it's entirely up to you: the 'creative' side.

Haven't been working on this much lately, kids spring break etc. Hoping to get back to it soon. My original intent was to keep the fore deck slope or angle as in the plans, but modify my side deck to be less steep. I envisioned the side decks meeting the face of the fore deck with a splash board rising above the back end of the fore deck to help handle the transition. I just neglected to leave the angle of the sheer unmodified under the fore deck. I may still use that approach but flatten the fore deck a little so it's not so out of alignment with the side decks. But I'd still need to put back some of the angle at the sheer to support the edges of the side deck.

yeah, you're figuring it out. Keep kickin it around...don't jump on the first "solution" you come across. Give it time. Ask your wife, kids, neighbors, brothers, sisters....you might be surprised - as I am when I ask my wife, for example - just how her perception reveals things I never saw/thot about. Same with my brother, God rest his soul. My comment was "man, I sure didn't see that".