Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic white cedar retail source North/Central Florida

I'm driving to Florida soon and plan on picking up a small quantity of Atlantic white cedar. Any recommendations on places to buy this? I'm coming east on I-10 from Texas and then south on I-75 to the Tampa area. The only source I have found thus far is in Williston, southwest of Gainesville, at $2.50 a board foot.

I'm driving to Florida soon and plan on picking up a small quantity of Atlantic white cedar. Any recommendations on places to buy this? I'm coming east on I-10 from Texas and then south on I-75 to the Tampa area. The only source I have found thus far is in Williston, southwest of Gainesville, at $2.50 a board foot.

Here & there in Texas - But changing in 2020. Standby.

Steve,

If it's good lumber, you have room to haul more than you need, would you consider dropping some off in New Orleans? My guest room is vacant in August and available in both directions.

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

Steve,

If it's good lumber, you have room to haul more than you need, would you consider dropping some off in New Orleans? My guest room is vacant in August and available in both directions.

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

Steve,

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

$2.50 a foot!!!!????? Buy as much as you can! Around here it goes for around $7.00 bf.

$2.50 a foot!!!!????? Buy as much as you can! Around here it goes for around $7.00 bf.

Woodfinder turned this up

Cracker Sawmill Williston FL (441 miles)
    Barber Lumber Sales of Alachua, FL, Inc. Alachua FL (449 miles)

Steve,

Would good WRC, doug-fir and really nice cypress work for you? The WRC and doug-fir are in all sizes up to HUGE and you can have it milled smaller if you like. Robichaux Lumber in Raceland, LA is on your way home.

Robichaux Lumber Company
    Address: 2755 Highway 308
    Raceland, LA 70394
    Phone: (985)447-7035
    Phone: (877)223-5879
    Fax: (985)447-7036
    E-Mail: karen@robichauxlumber.com

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

Steve,

Would good WRC, doug-fir and really nice cypress work for you? The WRC and doug-fir are in all sizes up to HUGE and you can have it milled smaller if you like. Robichaux Lumber in Raceland, LA is on your way home.

Robichaux Lumber Company
    Raceland, LA 70394

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

Steve,

Robichaux Lumber Company
    Raceland, LA 70394

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

I'd looked at the Woodfinder site also. The Cracker Saw Mill is the place I knew about -- I haven't seen their stuff and so don't know the quality. This is a place that sells log homes. The Barber site is only wholesale.

Thanks for the tip on the place in LA. My main interest at this point is in the cedar.

Sorry, but my storage on the truck is limited to the space beside my canoe on the roof rack.

[ 07-25-2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Steve Lansdowne ]

I'd looked at the Woodfinder site also. The Cracker Saw Mill is the place I knew about -- I haven't seen their stuff and so don't know the quality. This is a place that sells log homes. The Barber site is only wholesale.

Thanks for the tip on the place in LA. My main interest at this point is in the cedar.

Sorry, but my storage on the truck is limited to the space beside my canoe on the roof rack.

No worries. Good luck.

The good news is that if the wood in Florida isn't primo, you can always hit Robichaux on the way back. They have mountains of doug fir & WRC and a nice stack of good cypress. There's a sawmill in Thibodeaux (near Robichaux Lumber) that has fresh cut cypress, Taylor Lumber.

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

No worries. Good luck.

The good news is that if the wood in Florida isn't primo, you can always hit Robichaux on the way back. They have mountains of doug fir & WRC and a nice stack of good cypress. There's a sawmill in Thibodeaux (near Robichaux Lumber) that has fresh cut cypress, Taylor Lumber.

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

No worries. Good luck.

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

Wayne, check your e-mail.

Alva Hardwoods - I-75 Exit 25 (south of Tampa, but give them a call).

1-888-894-6229.

Also, it's a touch off your trek, I-75 and Alachua are a whopping 1 1/2 hours from here, but I know where there's a Concordia undergoing a complete rebuild.

Shop open most days - WBF tours on an hour's notice

Dinner at a local watering hole included.

- M

[ 07-25-2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

1-888-894-6229.

Also, it's a touch off your trek, I-75 and Alachua are a whopping 1 1/2 hours from here, but I know where there's a Concordia undergoing a complete rebuild.

- M

1-888-894-6229.

- M

Thanks for your tempting offer, but I've got some scenic paddling planned in my canoe and thus I'd better not plan to venture to the east coast. According to Woodfinders, the place in Alachua is wholesale only.

Thanks for your tempting offer, but I've got some scenic paddling planned in my canoe and thus I'd better not plan to venture to the east coast. According to Woodfinders, the place in Alachua is wholesale only.

Success at $2.50 bd foot, rough sawn 4/4 or 7/4, air dried, fairly clear Atlantic white cedar if you picked through the pile a bit. They have lots of it (20,000 board feet) they want to sell but aren't sure who wants it. Think the maximum length they had was 10'. Howell Logging, Inc. dba Cracker Style Log homes in Williston, FL .

Success at $2.50 bd foot, rough sawn 4/4 or 7/4, air dried, fairly clear Atlantic white cedar if you picked through the pile a bit. They have lots of it (20,000 board feet) they want to sell but aren't sure who wants it. Think the maximum length they had was 10'. Howell Logging, Inc. dba Cracker Style Log homes in Williston, FL .

Default Re: Atlantic white cedar retail source North/Central Florida

I was on the internet (Googling cedar and cypress) trying to find some wood for my grandson, who has made a couple of standup paddle boards and some nice one-off furniture pieces.

This thread came up.

Life is a crazy funny circle eh?

$2.50 a bd/ft sure does sound nice!

lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I bought some a few weeks back from a dealer in Swanton Vermont, was around $2.50/bd ft. Wanted to build some outdoor furniture. I didn't really know what it was, thought I was buying a northern white cedar sourced from the northeast or even the Maritimes. Turns out it's a cypress from NJ, Delaware coastal Carolina's and south. It is beautiful, spruce like in hardness/softness, much of it quartersawn. I build furniture, so mostly work with hardwoods but Atlantic Cedar is fun and fast, just lean on a sharp chisel no need to hammer a mortise. Makes me want to build a small boat. The shop smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I bought some a few weeks back from a dealer in Swanton Vermont, was around $2.50/bd ft. Wanted to build some outdoor furniture. I didn't really know what it was, thought I was buying a northern white cedar sourced from the northeast or even the Maritimes. Turns out it's a cypress from NJ, Delaware coastal Carolina's and south. It is beautiful, spruce like in hardness/softness, much of it quartersawn. I build furniture, so mostly work with hardwoods but Atlantic Cedar is fun and fast, just lean on a sharp chisel no need to hammer a mortise. Makes me want to build a small boat. The shop smells great.
    I can't remember his name now, but my barn steps (outdoor staircase) are eastern white from him. He sells wood to & from all over.

Margo - I've done a few searches that've turned up WBF threads. Best one was one I'd posted on!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

This guy sells mostly Atlantic White Cedar. Located on Rt. 7 between Swanton and St Albans, directly across the road from Champlain Country (Golf) Club. Look it up on VT Craigslist and you'll see pictures of beautiful quarter sawn stock.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/mat/d...352972450.html