Thread: Gartside pram

Default Gartside pram

This one was built for the previous owners of our boat. In the purchase negotiations I countered that we didn't really need the pram, oars or its small outboard motor. I was hoping the owner would 'throw it in anyway' but alas, no luck.

Sometimes I wish we'd 'kept it as part of the package', but the owner granted it to Paul and his young family for their use which is much the better outcome.

Paul kindly sent me the plans so I can build our own and included ideas for daggerboard placement for a sail I already have. Those plan are also available to subscribers to Watercraft Magazine where he publishes complete plans from time to time. The design for the oars is especially nice.

I'm tempted by this design also, but it's smaller.

Last edited by rbgarr; 06-08-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Default Re: Gartside pram

They both look terrific. I'm about to start building the Gardner version of Herreshoff's Nereia dinghy, which looks quite similar to these. What's the one in the second shot?

Rick

I haven't learned that yet. It was built by the Apprenticeshop according to the builder's plate and I'll have to ask about it next time I go by there.

I need to build a little pram..
    I'm kind of torn between the William Atkin style pram, like Rinky Dink:

(or the stitch and glue version Apple Pie), and the Scandinavian style prams like you have pictured above, or Iain Oughtred's version, Mouse. The blue dink on top looks a lot like Mouse actually.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I haven't learned that yet. It was built by the Apprenticeshop according to the builder's plate and I'll have to ask about it next time I go by there.
    Thanks - that'd be great!

Rick

There was an article in a later Watercraft of a chap in the Westcountry building the Gartside tender. I thihk he made slight modification to the buoyancy tanks and he noted there was one number wrong on the lofting which I think Paul probably knows about as someone else had said the same thing building it, so maybe just check with Paul that you have the correct numbers to save a search. The Gartside pram looks like a good working tender. The chap who built one commented that he liked it alot. I think if I remember he also extended the the top of the pram and aft transom an inch or two so that when turned over and stored for the winter, air could circulate well underneath and keep it well ventilated. Can't find the WC edition at the minute. It was semi recent.

Ed
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 06-09-2014 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks Ed!

Found it. The one built was Watercraft Jan/Feb 2014 #103. Said one error was 50mm and two numbers missing. My brain was telling me Pete at WC republished the revised numbers in a later edition, but i'm sure Paul has corrected it already.

He says "She's remarkably dry, tracks perfectly, spacious and stable. He has a new knee and boarding from his yacht is quite relaxed. Says she tows without trouble and goes well with a Honda 2.3hp".

I think it was designed to be put together without needing to spend too much on materials or labour so that it wasn't to precious to use as a tender or in case it got bashed or lost etc. Sakari on here built & launched a green and white one: if you google 'gartside #172 launched', and click images.

Ed
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 06-09-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Any of the prams that were designed by L Francis Herreshoff are with taking a look at before deciding what to build. Not only do they look good, their performance as a tender or if converted to sail is very very good!
    Here is just one source of study to give you a glimpse of the magic these beautiful and practical designs can afford.
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/columns/austin/05/
    Jay

This thread is five years old.