Page 528 of 1914 FirstFirst ... 2842847851852752852953857862810281528 ... LastLast
Results 18,446 to 18,480 of 66961

Thread: Byob !!!!!!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: Byob !!!!!!

Pirogue pron

Jambalaya on the Bayou - Hank Williams

Your's fixed and mine in it's element.

My pirogue is now at the house in Mississippi, (I hope it is still there). I was planning on heading over there tomorrow, but now it might be Saturday before I go.

Good night.

Hot this morning, under a spotless blue sky. I told the Wolf Goddess that if we didn't run the river, we would be cursed forever. And she agreed.

The big cat was rigged and ready on the trailer, so we got on the water about 10. The river is bank-full and muddy, about 1100 cfs. The boulder gardens are washed out with the biggest rocks throwing deep, boiling holes. I've rowed it so many times that I don't waste a stroke, despite the fast current.

Flowers are blooming, the trees are leafing out, and we saw ducks, dippers, and bank swallows. Afterwards, I parked the cat on the lawn, overlooking the river.

The V in the center is the canyon where the river cuts through several rocky ridges, and there are some nice little rapids.

Sounds like a great day, Chip.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Sounds like a great day, Chip.
    I'm getting so damn lazy that it's nice to have a river running through our place, so I can flop a boat in and just go, no fuss, no late-night drives, no dirt road shuttles.

It's short, but it's sweet.

Can I shout you a rum? That's your winter drink, right? We're well into gin & tonic season.

Tralalalalalalalalalalalalalaalalalalalaalallaalal alalala...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    That looks like a good fishin hole.
    That photo was taken at Lake Chicot in Arkansas. Lake Chicot is outside of the Mississippi River levees and so isn't effected by the level of the Mississippi River. Almost directly across the Mississippi River is Lake Ferguson. Lake Ferguson is inside the levee and goes up and down with the river. The Mississippi River always has a June rise when the water level comes up. During the June rise, the willow trees on the upper end of Lake Ferguson are flooded. Some of the most fun fishing that I have done is paddling through these willow trees and using a fly rod to cast to big male bluegills that are cruising among the trees. Wearing Polaroid glasses, you can spot the fish and cast a popping bug or rubber cricket near them and they will hit it about every time. Fly fishing under the limbs of willow trees is a challenge though, but a lot of fun.

Hi Chip and seanz. I see that you posted while I was composing my post. Some pretty country, Chip.

Evening all,

Just back from the river. We worked dockside on the Jet Engine project till dark. Took a short break for pizza and beer, then back at it on the inside stuff. Getting close. I got my stuff all bolted into place, and now the jetman is positioning the heat-shield, then the thrust strut, then the motor mounts, then the motors. He might spend the night and finish it off tomorrow. Lift-off could be as soon as tomorrow.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Your's fixed and mine in it's element.

Better put those pics on this page too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Hot this morning, under a spotless blue sky. I told the Wolf Goddess that if we didn't run the river, we would be cursed forever. And she agreed.
    Between this and Vienna Chung (Ain't no Sunshine) video, it's hard not to like you.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Morning all. Coffee and ibuprofen for me.

Yesterday marked 2 weeks since mom went to the 'memory care" home and the reports have all been quite positive. Naturally. She gets along well with her new roommate, likes the company and constant distractions, got her med's adjusted, she sleeps well and her appetite is good so, so far so good.

Reinforcements (older bro and sis in law) are due in town soon to help with emptying the house and getting it ready to sell. Sifting through the old childhood home has been quite the time-warp for me. It's funny the things we forget and how fast the memories come rushing back after seeing an old photo or other traces of the past. Like that great pic of Jimmy and his sis:

Those little moments frozen in time open up whole catalog's of where we were, who we were and how we ended up where we find ourselves. Inventorying all the water that's gone under the proverbial bridges, all the jillions of cfs, has served as a good reminder to make the best of every drop.

Life is short, play with your cougar.

I just may at that. It's been a good exercise cleaning the house of mirrors. Being there while the old door closes has got me looking forward to which ones will open next. (How's that for mixed metaphors?)

Speaking of which, I saw that cute waitress again yesterday morning.

Life is short, play with your cougar.

G'mornin' All,

Life moves on, and having moved... leaves us changed. Sometimes to pick up the pieces and carry on.

Hope everyone has a good day. Supposed to be 85 here... then into the 90's the next few days. Tulsy... can I come stay with you in nice, cool, Okie-homer for the duration?? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

What's TDG up to? Ya think she'll be willing to double up on the beer deliveries if I come down? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

She's just a danged dynamo. And a sweetheart! Don't tell her I said that, though. We don't want her to get as swell-headed as her pappy! <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Of course not. You know I was just ribbin' ya.

Man... I exceeded my limit last night at the JetBoat, for both pizza & beer. I'm suffering for it this morning. Got some drawings almost done, though - and will head out in a bit for the next chores. Hope you have a goon one!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Read my mind. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

yeah its good stuff, and semi affordable

Tried Skype, but our satellite internet connection is too slow or too weird or something. Besides, not many citizens can speak wolfish, so when I say "I'm deeply engaged by the pre-Christian symbolism in the later poetry of W.B Yeats," they hear "You piss me off and I'm biting your neck and devouring your innocent children." Why bother? Never liked telephones anyhow. People are always calling when you're on the toilet or taking a nap.

Well, that was unexpected. SWIMPAL got a phonecall from her Mum this morning and 20 minutes later the World's sweetest little old trouble-maker was being taken away in an ambulance. Mild stroke. Things can change fast.
    Look after yourselves.

Well, that was unexpected. SWIMPAL got a phonecall from her Mum this morning and 20 minutes later the World's sweetest little old trouble-maker was being taken away in an ambulance. Mild stroke. Things can change fast.
    I hope it wasn't the result of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    I hope it wasn't the result of the conversation.
    No, that's the sort of person the MIL is, she has not phoned an ambulance, she phoned a daughter.

Chip, your Skype problem might be the upload speed of the satellite link being much slower than the download speed.

Look after yourselves.

best wishes for a full and quick recovery
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 06-05-2015 at 07:10 PM.

She's in for an overnight stay and there will be some physio in her future. I should be more worried, but I've known her for over 15 years now and she's as tough as hell.

Chip, your Skype problem might be the upload speed of the satellite link being much slower than the download speed.
    That's likely, and there's something called "ping time" which is problematical as well. The reason I tried Skype was to avoid long drives to boring non-profit board meetings. I wouldn't dream of inflicting myself on my friends in that fashion.

Best wishes for the MIL, Seanz.

The onion, 'mater and pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    Skype is fixed. I be a happy camper
    Thank goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    That's the winner!

I was looking at that picture of you and your sis, and I was wondering if that boat was taking up, or going down.
    I don't remember it. It might have just been there long enough to fill with rainwater. I remember one local lake that had several wood boats about like that for rent. It was self service and you just dropped a dollar into a box and could then use one of the boats.

seanz - good luck!

Back from the sawdust mines. Even though I've already started moving stuff into my 'new shop'... I don't think it's gonna work. The two anchor tenants are too young/inexperienced to figure out what they want ahead of time... so things keep changing. Now they want me to take a bit more space... not less... now change the location of my dedicated space... etc. I finally got fed up and told them to get it sorted, or I'm gone. I even went and looked at another space today. Which is very promising. We'll see. Gawwwwd it's hot. Working dockside makes me feel like a lizard. Who wishes he were aquatic and could just jump in to cool off. Swimming in marinas is NOT a good idea, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Hope you don't have to do that to did list over.

Delaney and Bonnie with Eric Clapton 1969

Hurray for the Riff Raff - St. Roch Blues