Page 1594 of 1768 FirstFirst ... 5941094149415441584159315941595160416441694 ... LastLast
Results 55,756 to 55,790 of 61865

Thread: Byob !!!!!!

Default Re: Byob !!!!!!

We just got steady rain with a light show out over the Gulf. Perfect sitting out on the porch weather last eve. Rain barrel and bird baths are topped off.

Not looking like good lake weather this morning.

Life is short, play with your cougar.

As I walked through the living room earlier, Sandy was watching the news, I heard them mention a hurricane and then show the Tampa area map, You know I only hear about every other word on Sandy's tv she keeps it at a whisper. Then they showed that map and I thought dang what a way for a woman to be welcomed to Florida.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

She was a little worried about being in hurricane alley . . . But she loves thunderstorms. We have a sound machine on the nightstand that plays ocean, rain, babbling brook and thunderstorm sounds. The storms and ocean get played most nights. The brook makes you feel like you have to P.

Then they had that power blackout and a 4.7 earthquake around her former area last week and she said "**** that!" Give me hurricanes with a weeks warning anyday.

I think I am in agreement with that, those quakes kinda sneak up on you and you never know how bad they will get till it is over.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Curt, if you ever have some time to kill look back at about page 431 of the Byob, some interesting folks in there at that time.

Ok, I will. This place has always attracted an interesting crew.

I have a question for anyone that might know but will prolly take some old coot to answer. Do you remember the old hot patches for inner tubes, At the garages they would have a big clamp thing on the wall or you could buy the small clamp that had a canister of patches and glue in it. My question is what was that stuff that burned and smoked so much. By the way that was one of the smells of my childhood I will never forget kinda like pumping the old regular leaded gas.

Morning Galoots,

Another rainy day in Or-E-gone. Wet for the next week+ with highs in the mid-50's to low 60's. Got some shop stuff to do this morning, then back for an afternoon Ducks feetballs game. Maybe back to the shop after that. We'll see. Some talk that we might get the monsters this evening. Always a treat.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Morning Fred that would be the thing, I still wonder what the burning stuff was.I can't seem to find the answer. We always had a bunch of them and the clamp and a good tire pump. Ringing that gas station bell was always fun unless the attendant grabbed you by the collar.

I wish Curt could post pics He has one of those old clamps that he picked up a some kinda sale or flea market, He ask me if I knew what it was, I said odang it's been about a hunert years since I have seen one but it is a clamp to put the hot patches on tires. If I remember right his had the threaded bottom to screw onto the little canister of patches and glue or solvent. folks would use the little buffer thing rub some of the glue or what ever it was stick a match to it let it burn a few seconds then place the patch tighten the clamp and light that top and you had a good patch job.

Dudes one of my bows I made years ago that was used in a native American competition is Going on display at the Shawnee Tribe head quarters in Okie land I have no ideal of which one it is or even why they would want to. I gave these bows away at least five years ago and they were in no way primative. My name is nowhere on them and I look for no credit for them, it is just like all my other things I make, if I can make someone happy or inspire them to try things that is my reward. The one thing I do know is the bows in competition had to be made by a native American and Bob past that test.

If I had a few days relief from these tremors and could find my way out of this twilight zone that I seemed to have moved into, I have some very nice Bald Cypress limbs that I think would make a good bow, I mean what do you think those Florida tribes used.

Fred That swirly thing is really bad in the early morning hours. I hope they can fix that. Thankyou for the info on the patches I have always wondered what it was, It was kind of hard to light but once it started it was gone it didn't blaze just kind slow burn but it had a smell all it's own. If you were ever around a station or garage in those day you would recognize the smell immediately.

I used to live in Inola on a dairy farm, we had a fence row at least a quarter mile long lined with Osage orange. You can buy the staves on line but without seeing them you never know what you are getting and they are damn proud of them and no guarantees the will not break. I had what I thought was some good ash till I split it, the borers had ruined it. The kiln dried stuff works sometimes and not so much others. I had one Red Oak bow just explode on my tillering stand.

Garden watering is done!
    I'm ready for a cold Shiner, maybe two...

Shiner will work for me, Sorry I was slow to answer but the girl called to check on me. She is having some problems of her own, some really bad pain in her back, they did some blood work friday and told her if it got worse go to the er, so much like her dad. I aint going to no er on the weekend. I guess hard head is hereditary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    That's a bit scary! Breaking and exploding bows under tension is not for me.
    I figure I'll make walking/hiking sticks out of my chestnut cutoffs.
    If you look at YouTube there are a lot of cool walking sticks, I have one with the wizard head carved in it, now I just need my son in law to bead it for me. There is some really good carving vids on the utube and pretty simple with a sharp knife.
    Last edited by Bobby of Tulsa; 10-19-2019 at 04:39 PM.

This here guy can get you started.

My staff looks like the wizard, but the hat is round on top. I didn't want a sharp point on the end. My trouble is I can't seem to remember how I did it the first time. I really look at things I have made and just wonder how I ever did that. Kind of a bummer to say the least.

Did everyone pass out?

I got Mezcal, cold beer, rum, gin, Jack, juke box, popcorn...it's Saturday night amigos!

Good for you Fred.

Good on you, Fred!
    Let's us celebrate with some of your top shelf rum.
    Howdy, Bobby, you're just in time...Fred is breaking out a bottle of his best rum for us...yuuuuuuum!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Hot Tamale festival here today. I had a half dozen tamales for lunch and have another 6 in the fridge to heat up. The first ones were from some folks from Texas, but they were definitely Delta style tamales. They had a choice of ones made from brisket or chicken. I went with the brisket.
    This county is 70% black. There were 12 bands or solo people performing on three stages today. Terry "Harmonica" Bean was the only black performer. He is also the only one that I am pretty good friends with. Oznabrag probably doesn't know it, but he was on just the other side of the tree line behind Terry in this video. I invited Terry to come by here, but he was heading up to Clarksdale.

Terry "Harmonica" Bean, "Doing My Own Thing"

I knew that Zaz girl looked familiar, so I went hunting her and found this. I saw it a year ago or longer and must have played it ten times. How refreshing!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Terry said today that he travels all over the world playing the blues. He said he plans on being the first black man to play the blues on the moon.

Super Chikan Johnson & Terry Harmonica Bean - Mississippi Delta Blues Festival (2015) Brazil

Morning guys, let's do some breakfast.

Just in case Kevin wants some extra.

Good morning, Bob. I was told I should take the day and just goof off. So I'm out in the shop painting light switch and outlet covers to match the walls.

Once that's done, the spare room is completely transformed and ready to be turned over to the new occupant.

Morning Curtis, just got back in from tending my chicks and picking a few stray beers from my shop. Have a good day my friend.

Some extra what???

I might need some in self defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    Just in case Kevin wants some extra.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Slow forum today. I just re-charged her iceman and tucked her in, again. So I'll have some time to kill here.

This forum seems to take spells, some times good and sometimes not so much. Curt do you remember how long ago you sent those cuttings of plants to me? I only have the mini jade now and I am grooming it into a Bonsai like my other dozens of large jade trees